Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibletrampis
mad hatter
 User Gallery

Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say
    #20275454 - 07/15/14 06:08 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

source.

Quote:

Scientists have discovered how marijuana can be used to help treat cancer, specifically by slowing tumor growth.

But it isn’t the marijuana itself — it’s only one ingredient in the drug. This ingredient, Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), has been reported to help slow the growth of cancer cells, according to The Independent.

The research done by the University of East Anglia team “has shed light on the still ‘poorly understood’ theory” that THC has “anti-cancer properties.” But Cancer Research UK said that it can’t really know if THC can help combat cancer cells until more research is done.

According to the report, this study, which was published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, “could be a big boost for attempts to create a synthetic substitute for cannabis that can fight cancer in a targeted and safe way.”

In the study, scientist injected THC into mice who had human cancer cells. For the first time, they were then able to determine “two specific receptors that are responsible for the compound’s disease-fighting effects.”

Peter McCormick from UEA’s school of pharmacy said that the results of the study help them understand how THC, both at low and high doses, affected cancer tumor growth. The effects of THC, he said, are “well-known but still poorly understood.”

“By identifying the receptors involved we have provided an important step towards the future development of therapeutics that can take advantage of the interactions we have discovered to reduce tumour growth,” McCormick said.

But he also said that cancer patients shouldn’t just go smoke marijuana to try to cure themselves.

“Our research uses an isolated chemical compound and using the correct concentration is vital,” McCormick said. “Cancer patients should not use cannabis to self-medicate, but I hope that our research will lead to a safe synthetic equivalent being available in the future.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: trampis]
    #20275664 - 07/15/14 07:36 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

LOL....Who the fuck is the University of East Anglia?....Sounds credible to me.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #20275724 - 07/15/14 08:01 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

First he says they think THC stops cancer then he says that cancer patients should rather than do what they can to survive, is just let themselves die while the government comes out with a 'safer' and more expensive version of a drug which has killed 0 people in a history of thousands of years.

How the fuck could you make a 'safer' synthetic THC. The plant already contains (6aR,10aR)-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol which can cause no known lasting or serious harm to a human.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: XTCentral]
    #20275840 - 07/15/14 08:44 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XTCentral said:

How the fuck could you make a 'safer' synthetic THC. The plant already contains (6aR,10aR)-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol which can cause no known lasting or serious harm to a human.

You would isolate it, and make sure its available in purified form, and in measured doses.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineFractalReal
The Sympathetic Droning String
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: badchad]
    #20275953 - 07/15/14 09:40 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I feel like an appropriate argument would be 'if it isn't broke don't fix it'. Despite that scientists may isolate a component that has a specific effect on cancer and Im not completely against the concept(even though it seems like more often than not man's attempts to pharmaceuticalize this miracle medicine have been dismal failures-maybe the plant doesn't life Pfizer either). My personal intuition says the medicinal value lies in the ingenious natural chemical composition of the plant all working together to balance your energy and by extension heal your system.

--------------------
"I saw your eyes go from lower case to capital...it's like you had to pull the rug from underneath yourself to feel alive." -Cecil Otter

"In the business of isness: I am." -One of my t-shirt designs

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

#20275982 - 07/15/14 09:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

XTCentral said:

You would isolate it, and make sure its available in purified form, and in measured doses.

Explain how that makes it safer.

OfflineAllGreyThumbs
Storage Container Aficionado
Male

Loc: Some savage little planet...
Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: XTCentral] * 1
    #20276049 - 07/15/14 10:16 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

On another note, since at least the 1970s people have been making sometimes extraordinary claims about the medicinal benefits of cannabis.  Yet for the 4 decades that war on drugs has raged, our leadership and government officials have engaged in a campaign of deliberate lies and deceptive actions intended to stymie any medicinal use of this reasonably harmless plant.  In the meantime how many of friends and family members have suffered and died when a plant that could have helped them was being demonized?  Millions upon millions of people may have suffered needlessly while our leaders lied to and attempted to manipulate us out of their own ignorance, fear, and greed.

So anyway, where do we want to hold the trials for these crimes against humanity, and how much hemp are we going to need in order to make all the nooses?

--------------------
I only use drugs medicinally.  If I don't my knees hurt from kneeling down.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#20276062 - 07/15/14 10:22 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XTCentral said:

The pharmacokinetics of drugs are (generally) much more consistent when administered orally.  As far as purity is concerned, there are many different strains of MJ, each with different concentrations of cannabinoids.

So compared to an unknown dose, of an unknown drug, an oral administration of a purified substance would generally be considered "safer".

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
    #20276481 - 07/15/14 12:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

XTCentral said:

The pharmacokinetics of drugs are (generally) much more consistent when administered orally.  As far as purity is concerned, there are many different strains of MJ, each with different concentrations of cannabinoids.

So compared to an unknown dose, of an unknown drug, an oral administration of a purified substance would generally be considered "safer".

It's not safer if it has more side effects, THC alone causes extreme paranoia, marijuana on the other hand does not (ate least not nearly to the same degree). On the other hand if they figure out exactly how THC works on tumor cells, they may be able to make an even more effective drug.

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: NotTheDevil]
    #20276960 - 07/15/14 02:21 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

NotTheDevil said:
Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

XTCentral said:

It's not safer if it has more side effects, THC alone causes extreme paranoia, marijuana on the other hand does not (ate least not nearly to the same degree). On the other hand if they figure out exactly how THC works on tumor cells, they may be able to make an even more effective drug.

ee
Exactly! THC isolated would be less safe than with the other cannabinoids regulating it. After all, there's evidence that CBD may be anti-psychotic!

OfflineFractalReal
 User Gallery

#20277544 - 07/15/14 04:32 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XTCentral said:Exactly! THC isolated would be less safe than with the other cannabinoids regulating it. After all, there's evidence that CBD may be anti-psychotic!

This ^

--------------------
"I saw your eyes go from lower case to capital...it's like you had to pull the rug from underneath yourself to feel alive." -Cecil Otter

OfflineColours
Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: FractalReal] * 1
    #20278222 - 07/15/14 07:07 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I need to get my posts up to see some threads.. so I'll start here.

FractalReal, I think you might be correct.
According to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, the entire plant provides more benefits than isolated components.
He calls it the "entourage effect".

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/health/gupta-marijuana-entourage/

Offlinebacchist
Stranger
Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: Colours] * 1
    #20279210 - 07/15/14 10:59 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

When a particular compound is isolated, it is generally safer for the pharmaceutical company, who can patent it and derive monopoly profits.

OfflineFractalReal
 User Gallery

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: Colours]
    #20279267 - 07/15/14 11:23 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Terpenoids(limonene, cineole, borneol), natural cannabinoids(THC, THCV, CBD, CBC, etc), and even simple plant fibers and constituents  have all proven effective in treating cancer. On the other end of the legal spectrum, however, the GMOs in our foods, chemical additives in our water, and many 'cost effective' synthetic materials have been proven to aggravate if not trigger the condition. At some point freedom has to be legalized and the current legislative system has to be seen for the cold money hungry machine that it is.

--------------------

Edited by FractalReal (07/15/14 11:29 PM)

OfflineRogerAdams
Stranger
    #20281626 - 07/16/14 02:47 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:

You guys are both right.

Why can't you have an isolate that contains a whole fraction of varying cannabinoids. Don't you think that the liquified co2 or whatever solvent's doesn't also extract some CBDs along with THC. Get your different isolates, blend them together and you can have a medicine, that can then be uniformly dosed and labeled making it safer.

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: RogerAdams]
    #20281695 - 07/16/14 03:04 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerAdams said:
Quote:

badchad said:

You guys are both right.

Why can't you have an isolate that contains a whole fraction of varying cannabinoids. Don't you think that the liquified co2 or whatever solvent's doesn't also extract some CBDs along with THC. Get your different isolates, blend them together and you can have a medicine, that can then be uniformly dosed and labeled making it safer.

Except it doesn't make it safer. It might make it . . . something, but that something isn't safer because weed doesn't harm people, yes it might intensify anxiety in the wrong situation, but I wouldn't go as far as to call that dangerous as there's no evidence that people have died because of it or come to any quantifiable harm whatsoever.

Either way, that's still stupid and pointless. How does the uniformity make it any safer when it comes to cannabis? One of the main huge advantages of natural weed is all the different strains, with slightly different genetics and levels of cannabinoids which are suited for different purposes and for different individual people.

It makes much more sense for somebody to go to a marijuana store and buy a kush, a haze, some afghani landrace, a blue cheese, whatever and go back and try smoking all of them and find what works best for them than go and take a uniform dose of cannabinoids which WON'T work best for them.

The safest solution, which makes the most sense and makes NO MONEY FOR PHARAMCEUTICAL COMPANIES (this is the critical bit because it's the only reason they don't just do it) is for medical users of cannabis to find what strains are good for them, order the seeds from a dutch seed bank and grow them themselves, to their own individual specifications for free and won't need to pay for their medication or live in fear of persecution because of their cannabis use.

Edited by XTCentral (07/16/14 03:08 PM)

Invisibletrampis
mad hatter
 User Gallery

#20282511 - 07/16/14 06:27 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Not everyone wants to grow their own medicine. Some people prefer to buy something that a pharmaceutical company has put research into that allows them to take a more accurate dose for whatever it is that ails them.

Just like people should have the right to grow their own medicine, people should have the right to buy it from some company that invested in concocting a specific formula.

I don't understand why anyone here is having an issue with MORE research being done on this...

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: trampis] * 1
    #20283059 - 07/16/14 08:11 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trampis said:
Not everyone wants to grow their own medicine. Some people prefer to buy something that a pharmaceutical company has put research into that allows them to take a more accurate dose for whatever it is that ails them.

Just like people should have the right to grow their own medicine, people should have the right to buy it from some company that invested in concocting a specific formula.

I don't understand why anyone here is having an issue with MORE research being done on this...

Because this is the newest excuse they're trying to make for not properly legalizing the cannabis plant, and it's based on a complete fabrication just because that will enable big pharmaceutical companies to profit off of cannabis instead of it being an incredibly cheap way to ease people's suffering.

If paracetamol and aspirin grew on trees, they'd be illegal to probably because a plant like cannabis sabotages corporate profits by being able to be grown so easily.

IF the weed is already legal then fine, do this stupid useless pointless research and if people want to spend more money on the same chemical in a pill form instead of the bud then that's up to them but right now it's dangerous as the angle the right and the corporate world is pushing is to legalize and regulate pharmaceutical cannabinoids while leaving the free and incredibly efficient plant illegal.

Edited by XTCentral (07/16/14 08:13 PM)

OfflineFractalReal
 User Gallery

#20283093 - 07/16/14 08:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

For those that don't want to grow their own medicine there will be many willing to do so in their stead.

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: Marijuana Can Help Slow Cancer Tumor Growth, Scientists Say [Re: FractalReal]
    #20283101 - 07/16/14 08:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FractalReal said:
For those that don't want to grow their own medicine there will be many willing to do so in their stead.

This is also true. If cannabis was straight up legal, it would probably be about $0.01 for an 1/8th of bud anyway, the shit is called weed for a reason a commercial farm could produce a crop over and over again moving tonnes and tonnes of weed.

If we used hemp instead of tree products, we could save so much of the environment also, cannabis is a renewable crop which can grow anywhere we could totally wipe out over logging.

Edited by XTCentral (07/16/14 08:20 PM)

OfflineFractalReal
 User Gallery

#20283330 - 07/16/14 09:12 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I dream of a day when pounds are so cheap nobody bothers dividing ounces. :thumbup:

Invisible404
error
 User Gallery

#20283468 - 07/16/14 09:41 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

This is nothing new. We have known that cannabinoids  cause apoptosis in various types of cancer.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale