Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking
    #20271092 - 07/14/14 12:43 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Tony Newman

Director of Media Relations, Drug Policy Alliance
We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking
Posted: 07/07/2014 10:18 am EDT Updated: 07/07/2014 10:59 am EDT

Walking down the streets of New York I see more and more people using e-cigarettes. I see them enjoying their e-cigarette outside a bar or as they hustle down the street and it is easy to imagine that these e-cigs have replaced their previous form of tobacco intake, the cigarette.

I instantly feel a solidarity and connection with these folks. I have my own long and complicated relationship with cigarettes. I have tried everything to break my habit. I have tried the patch and the gum. I have tried hypnosis and Wellbutrin. And out of all of the replacements and strategies, I have been most excited and optimistic about e-cigarettes and vaping.

It is encouraging how fast e-cigs and vaping have taken off. Smokers aren't stupid. When offered a safer model to obtain their nicotine, millions will choose it. The fact that e-cigs can be purchased at most delis and stores makes it easy for those who want to practice harm reduction in their life. We also see vaping shops like the"Henley Vaporium" in Soho (where I go) popping up around the world. These spots allow former smokers a relaxed place to hang out, try different flavors, bond with others who have quit smoking, and encourage a healthier life style.

Yet instead of cheering the great news that millions are now quitting smoking, we see too many in the health and anti-smoking fields beating the drums against e-cigs and vaping. Opportunistic politicians and anti-smoking lobbyists are ignoring the emerging evidence that vaping is vastly safer than smoking and instead are trying to equate the two activities. City after city is passing the same laws against vaping as against smoking.

From New York City to Santa Monica, California, we are seeing cities passing laws against vaping in public places, including beaches and parks. The message they are trying to send is that vaping is bad and people shouldn't be exposed to it. But why? The second hand smoke is no longer harmful yet they still want to stigmatize and limit it. If someone wants to vape in the privacy of their office why shouldn't they be able to?

Other bans are also on the horizon. States will copy New Jersey and begin discussing banning e-cigarettes for those under 21. Why would we want to discourage a 20 year old or even a 17 year old smoker from giving up cigarettes and switching to e-cigs?

Fortunately there are health professionals and doctors who have thought this through. Dozens of health experts generated news when they sent a letter to the head of the World Health Organization urging them to embrace e-cigarettes as a life saver. E-cigarettes "could be among the most significant health innovations of the 21st century, perhaps saving hundreds of millions of lives," the group said.

Anti-smoking advocates have become so used to demonizing smoking and so afraid of giving an inch that they are waging a war against a practice that is actually accomplishing the goal of reducing or eliminating people's smoking. They should know better than most that a tool that may help millions of people stop smoking cigarettes should be celebrated and embraced -- not restricted and stigmatized.

Tony Newman is the director of media relations at the Drug Policy Alliance (www.drugpolicy.org)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-newman/e-cigarettes-bans_b_5563550.html

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: Simplepowa]
    #20271215 - 07/14/14 01:14 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Good article. They banned using ecigs inside public buildings where I live. The good thing is that they don't smell so it's easy to get away with anyways. If I do get caught I just play stupid like I didn't know.

I get the point though. I smoked for 10 years until I bought my vape. Haven't smoked since. :dancer:

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: Magicman69]
    #20271382 - 07/14/14 01:52 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Ecigs are cool and all, but as of right now you can't really say they're any safer. There are all of 0 standards of quality for making ejuice. They can (and often do) contain all kinds of fucked up shit that, while safe to ingest, should NOT be inhaled. Diacetyl being one ingredient commonly found in ejuice that's terrible for you. Not to mention that not everyone is gonna use USP-grade PG or VG. The impurities in those can be very bad.

Anyone can make and sell juice, completely unregulated, as long as they pay their taxes on their business.

There also haven't been any real studies done about inhaling that much PG or VG on a regular basis. Look into making your own juice and read all the warnings about it. Yes PG and VG are both relatively safe in smaller doses

Now I'm not saying they're not probably (probably being the key word here, we need studies) better for you than cigs, but propaganda like this, claiming that ecigs do no harm at all, aren't helping the argument.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineGrimTroll
Cultural Terrorist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20272397 - 07/14/14 05:39 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I LOVE MY E-CIG.

just saying!

--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

Offlineilluminati
Strange
Male

Loc: Aboard the T.A.R.D.I.S.
Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: GrimTroll]
    #20272554 - 07/14/14 06:11 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I don't have any scientific evidence to provide, but what I can say is that my body definitely felt better when I switched to a vape from cigarettes.  I didn't cough nearly as much, didn't smell like cigarettes, and generally felt better.  I can't speak to any long term effects of inhaling e-juice.

--------------------
I didn't get turned on I just got turned
I wasn't as aroused as I was concerned
for each one of 'em I've hurt
and every time I've been burned
I've got a lot to teach but even more to learn

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20272604 - 07/14/14 06:19 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Ecigs are cool and all, but as of right now you can't really say they're any safer. There are all of 0 standards of quality for making ejuice. They can (and often do) contain all kinds of fucked up shit that, while safe to ingest, should NOT be inhaled. Diacetyl being one ingredient commonly found in ejuice that's terrible for you. Not to mention that not everyone is gonna use USP-grade PG or VG. The impurities in those can be very bad.

I think vaporizing random unregulated chemicals is going to be thousands of times safer than smoking plant material.  With plant material, you are inhaling hundreds of chemicals with many known to be toxic and cargenogenic.  With e-cigarette refills, the people making them know humans will be inhaling them so they are going to make an attempt to use chemicals that are ok to inhale.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #20273109 - 07/14/14 07:44 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

36fuckin5 said:

I think vaporizing random unregulated chemicals is going to be thousands of times safer than smoking plant material.  With plant material, you are inhaling hundreds of chemicals with many known to be toxic and cargenogenic.  With e-cigarette refills, the people making them know humans will be inhaling them so they are going to make an attempt to use chemicals that are ok to inhale.

I also think so. But what we think doesn't matter much, really. There's no real reason to say that they're any better or worse than smoking tobacco other than anecdotal evidence.

As for people caring about what people put in their juice, yes the majority probably do (but we don't know) but I'm 100% sure that some don't. There's a FUCKLOAD of juice out there that contain things like diacetyl. A lot of it comes from China (Fasttech specifically.) I've seen a lot of Fasttech juice sold at vape shops with no kind of warning.

Again, I think they're probably safer than cigarettes, but we just don't really know. I'll continue to vape and I'm about to start making my own juice so I can keep away from all the bullshit that goes into the flavorings. But again, these flavors were never intended to inhale. There are lots of them, from the same companies that sell ones you can use, that should never be vaporized.

I really just want some regulation on juice, honestly. It'd be nice to know that the FDA has stepped in and checked that my juice is up to standard so I don't have to double-check so hard.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Invisiblerackem
Male User Gallery

#20279000 - 07/15/14 09:57 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

when i switched over, and was primarily using the lower of the juices i def felt a difference between the cheap china stuff and the made in usa 'premium' juices.

as for long term effects of ecigs... god only knows..

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: rackem]
    #20279107 - 07/15/14 10:23 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Smoking vaporized smoke is "healthier" than water-bong/bubbler smoke, which is healthier than filtered cigs/joints, which is healthier than unfiltered cigs/joints...something like that.

This order is generalized as the types and complexities of bongs/bubblers are varied as with ecigs and vaporizers. More filtration means more filtration of materials and toxins.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #20280388 - 07/16/14 09:40 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:
Smoking vaporized smoke is "healthier" than water-bong/bubbler smoke

You can't really say that though. The studies just aren't there. People have only been using these things for a few years now. For all we know, using an ecig for 10+ years could leave you with chronic pnuemonia.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#20280416 - 07/16/14 09:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:

You can't really say that though. The studies just aren't there. People have only been using these things for a few years now. For all we know, using an ecig for 10+ years could leave you with chronic pnuemonia.

QFT.  The jury is still out on e-cigs.  Assuming they're healthier is just that:  an assumption.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Loc: rainbow land
Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: badchad]
    #20280443 - 07/16/14 09:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I bought 8lbs of USP kosher organic PG. After reading up on it. It seems relatively safe. MSDS shows its safe for low temp vaporizing and inhalation at very large amounts for much longer than you would have ever vaped as well. As far as long term studies. I hope everyone isn't eating any GMO food that hasn't extensively been studied long term lol (sarcasm) ( we intake stuff 24-7 that doesn't have a long term safety record FYI)

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: treesniper119]
    #20280455 - 07/16/14 10:01 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

When they wrote up your MSDS, they weren't considering that people would be vaporizing mass amounts of the shit hundreds of times per day. So it means nothing for your purpose.

With all my nay-saying, I still use them. I even went so far as to buy a mech mod, and am gonna get a rebuildable atomizer and all the stuff to make my own juice.

I think they're gonna be better for me than cigs, but I don't really know. Nobody does, and that's the point.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

OfflineDonsanpedro
Stranger

#20280601 - 07/16/14 10:45 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:

Anyone can make and sell juice, completely unregulated, as long as they pay their taxes on their business.

There also haven't been any real studies done about inhaling that much PG or VG on a regular basis. Look into making your own juice and read all the warnings about it. Yes PG and VG are both relatively safe in smaller doses

Now I'm not saying they're not probably (probably being the key word here, we need studies) better for you than cigs, but propaganda like this, claiming that ecigs do no harm at all, aren't helping the argument.

GREAT points.  E-cigs ARE not absolutely safer.  E-juice is often composed of propylene glycol.  In and by itself it's not horrible and is GRAS (generally recognized as safe). 

However, many cheap e-juice manufacturers use PG manufactured in China.  China is NOTORIOUS for selling adulterated PG, or even selling ethylene glycol labeled as PG!!! Ethelyne Glycol is highly toxic!!!

Just google "china propylene glycol" and you will find a dozen instances where people were KILLED because they unknowingly ingested adulterated PG or ethylene glycol labeled and sold as PG from China.

DSP

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#20280813 - 07/16/14 11:46 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
When they wrote up your MSDS, they weren't considering that people would be vaporizing mass amounts of the shit hundreds of times per day. So it means nothing for your purpose.

With all my nay-saying, I still use them. I even went so far as to buy a mech mod, and am gonna get a rebuildable atomizer and all the stuff to make my own juice.

I think they're gonna be better for me than cigs, but I don't really know. Nobody does, and that's the point.

When they wrote up the MSDS, they absolutely considered it safe for inhalation, and mass amounts for extended periods of time (6+ hours with more than you would consume in years) with no lethal side effects, its not toxic and generally recognized as safe. That being said, there are no long term studies of exposure to USP kosher organic PG, and unfortunately for the average uniformed consumer populace, like yourself, you do choose to test out those studies on yourselves daily. A much wiser choice IMO than your previous personal trials with your regularly scheduled addiction, the cigarette, & all of its deadly addatives) To make a point out of it is silly, we consume many things that have no long term studies on human health, yet you eat daily and don't think about it...moot

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: treesniper119]
    #20280872 - 07/16/14 11:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

The MSDS typically is intended for occupational safety.  You'll notice that the vast majority of MSDS sheets for PG describe it as a "liquid" and in it's liquid state, it has little volatilization.  This is why its dubbed "safe for inhalation".

It could be argued this has absolutely no bearing when placed in an e-cig, heated, and inhaled.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#20281154 - 07/16/14 12:59 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:
Smoking vaporized smoke is "healthier" than water-bong/bubbler smoke

That sentence you took out of context was about vaping in general, not necessarily ecigs. Also, I added that second sentence just to make sure nobody thought I was referring solely to ecigs, especially the packaged, pre-loaded ones. There is a vast assortment of different types of vaporizers of many shapes and sizes available...disposable and re-loadable.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

Edited by dwnlw2slw (07/16/14 04:50 PM)

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #20281420 - 07/16/14 02:02 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed vaporizing hash oil concentrates is the story of my life. The very Best highest & safest way to consume cannabis known to man atm
10 outta 10 doctors say so....

Offlinemaddad
Stranger
Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: treesniper119] * 1
    #20281434 - 07/16/14 02:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm pretty sure in 5-10 years they are going to prove that e-cigs are worse for you than cigarettes. I would suggest all you e-cig fans look into some of the resent research being done on them.

--------------------
I live in an aura of hope because I live in a twilight world of my own self-generated, cannabinated fantasy, and I forget that not everyone is so fortunate. - Terence McKenna

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: We Should Cheer E-Cigs and Vaping, Not Equate it With Smoking [Re: maddad]
    #20281506 - 07/16/14 02:20 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Says the new guy with 168 posts and no sources or links.... Thanks for that...
Anyways, Here is an up to snuff msds on it. USP PG
http://wizardlabs.us/image/data/msds/MSDS_Propylene_Glycol_USP_Wizard_Labs.pdf

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#20282119 - 07/16/14 05:02 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

treesniper119 said:

That MSDS is for the liquid solution.  Regardless, highlights from the MSDS:

"May cause temporary irritation of upper respiratory tract if inhaled."

First aid measures,  Inhalation:  Remove victim to fresh air.

Environmental Precautions:
Isolate the hazard area and evacuate unprotected personnel to safe area. Ventilate area and contain spill with sand or absorbent material.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#20282372 - 07/16/14 05:58 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Isn't the liquid solution what we are discussing? The main ingredient in e-cigs and dab pens...?

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#20282848 - 07/16/14 07:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yes.  Admittedly, I'm not overly familiar with the data on liquid PG.

My concern regarding the e-cigs though, would be repeatedly administering it to the lung.  There may also be the potential for some chemical change during the vaporization/heating of it (perhaps a better question for a chemist).

As the other poster said, I wouldn't be surprised if e-cigs are safer, but right now they're unregulated so we have no idea what's in the "juice", or whether the devices themselves might be a cause for concern.

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#20282865 - 07/16/14 07:30 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

treesniper119 said:

That MSDS is for the liquid solution.  Regardless, highlights from the MSDS:

"May cause temporary irritation of upper respiratory tract if inhaled."

First aid measures,  Inhalation:  Remove victim to fresh air.

Environmental Precautions:
Isolate the hazard area and evacuate unprotected personnel to safe area. Ventilate area and contain spill with sand or absorbent material.

If it's not hazardous as defined by OSHA Hazard Comm Standards, it doesn't even require an MSDS. http://www.ilpi.com/msds/faq/partb.html

Anyway, if you thumb through many MSDS's, you would see that statements like "may cause irritation if inhaled" are on almost every substance. Anything in smoked/vaporized form except the air we commonly breath may cause respiratory tract irritation if inhaled.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#20282889 - 07/16/14 07:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly:thumbup:

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

#20299225 - 07/20/14 02:07 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

What about a how now?

http://www.livescience.com/46053-e-cigarettes-myths-safety-facts.html?cmpid=514627_20140720_25875726

It sucks their sources all link back to their site, but do some Googling. I did, and it all seems to check out. Lack of regulation and lack of study could potentially be a big problem here.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:

Pat The Bunny said:

bodhisatta said:

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#20299842 - 07/20/14 09:17 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

How now? How about a brown cow?

USP grade kosher organic PG is not toxic and all I see in your myth article is more myths lol
Nicotine and flavor addatives seem to be the issue on many a debatable vape pen subjects.
However someone like me does not use ingredients like these. Instead I heat up a gram of amberglass hash and dissolve it into a tsp of PG, stir with light passive heating and Viola! You have a 1000mg cartridge of vapable on the go goodness.. Cause some people need to take their meds with them and be able to dose discreetly!
I think a good portion of "e-cig" users use these devices for cannabinoid and not nicotine as well.
For example:
Every single cannabis magazine has a couple dozen adds with the newest cape pen for cannabis flowers,, tobacco or cannabis oil...

They have awards at high times in multiple states where new cape pen designs win awards...and they arent testing nicotine or tobacco there lol

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds