Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Loc: rainbow land
GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?!
    #20264061 - 07/12/14 06:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

How do you get weed without the weed? By genetically engineering yeast to produce THC, of course.

Once theorized in a stoner magazine column more than a decade ago, a biotech startup working in Ireland is actively trying to transplant the genetic information that codes for both THC and another cannabinoid called CBD into yeast so that new medicinal (and, perhaps recreational) "marijuana" can be grown in a lab—no plants necessary.

"Right now, growing medical marijuana is expensive and it's heavily regulated as well. It's slow to grow, you've got to go through several different strains before you get a stable blend," Sarah Choukah, CEO of Hyasynth Bio, told me. "We're thinking to bypass all this, to make it quick to grow, we can develop pot from technology that could give us customizable blends of yeast."

That's right—you can have different strains of THC-producing yeast, just like you do with marijuana. On its website, the team says that "rather than relying on plant strains generated from selective breeding, specifically crafted microbes can be designed within a matter of days."

Choukah and her cofounder, Kevin Chen, say they aren't exactly sure what the final form of their product will be, but you won't smoke it. Most likely, the THC will be delivered via a patch, a topical cream, or in vaporizer or e-cigarette form. 

The goal here, at first, isn't to create another way for people to get high. Instead, it'll be using the ability to quickly and precisely modify THC content to create more specialized treatments for specific diseases, such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. It'll also be creating reliable THC for researchers to work on. But the recreational market is certainly on the team's radar. 

"Further down the line, depending on how the regulatory environment is, we might get into recreational," Choukah said. 

The plan here is much like other schemes to make bacteria, or algae, or yeast create something that it doesn't do in nature, like we see with lab-grown meat and certain types of biofuels. The team hopes to insert cannabis DNA into yeast and then use the fungus' natural biological properties to turn it into a THC factory. Besides THC and CBD, the team hopes to eventually synthesize other cannabinoids. 

Scientists originally discovered the gene that codes for THC back in 2009, and early reports suggested that the find would lead to researchers who tried to take THC out of cannabis to create new strains of hemp. Turns out, they're doing the opposite.

"People have thought about doing this before, but never really went after it," Chen said. "People don't like to work on cannabis research because there are regulatory hurdles to get into it. And then, I guess, there are some people who think there's an ethical issue with working on an illegal drug."

The team says it's completely legal to modify yeast to create CBD, while THC is a little trickier. That's one of the reasons why the company is going to initially focus on the medicinal side of things, but Choukah admitted the company has been keeping a close eye on legalization efforts in Washington, Colorado, and other states.

Choukah and Chen already have some seed funding (get it?) and say they're going to work in the lab within the next week or so, and will be working on an accelerated timeline—they hope to know whether this will work or not by next month. If yeast proves tough to work with, the team will try to reengineer E. Coli or algae, instead. The company is set to present its work at a synthetic biology demonstration day in Ireland on August 19. 

"If we hit the jackpot," Chen said. "We'll have it by then." 

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/biohackers-are-engineering-yeast-to-make-thc

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKruDam
Stranger

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: treesniper119]
    #20264073 - 07/12/14 06:53 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Baller is the first word that comes to mind.

Hopefully this is a step toward getting synthetic weed off of the market.

InvisibleEastBayRay
 User Gallery
Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: KruDam]
    #20264215 - 07/12/14 07:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Are these the same people that brought us LSA from yeast?

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: EastBayRay]
    #20264345 - 07/12/14 08:02 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

now i'm waiting for all the hippies to say:
"well maybe GMO isn't THAT bad"

--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

Offlinematsc
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona
Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: psyconaught]
    #20264698 - 07/12/14 09:45 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

My day job is adding genes to yeast to get them to produce natural products from other organisms. In my case, its a couple of odd compound classes from fungi, but the theories are the same across the board.

Get the genes, splice into a vector, shove them up the yeasts tail pipe, and grow away.

Under optimal conditions and barring any complications, it takes about 3 weeks to get from raw DNA to expression yeast. Now THC is a bit more complicated, several steps in its biosynthesis, but its still something pretty easy.

(Granted, I'm biased, I have a couple degrees in biochemistry and biotech, but its still simple, kit based, step by step procedural stuff!)

That said, isnt synthetic THC already available from pharmacies? Or is Marinol something else. I've been told that it pales in comparison to extracts/use of whole plant material.

--------------------
My Trade List!

Offlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: matsc]
    #20264749 - 07/12/14 10:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

matsc said:
My day job is adding genes to yeast to get them to produce natural products from other organisms. In my case, its a couple of odd compound classes from fungi, but the theories are the same across the board.

Get the genes, splice into a vector, shove them up the yeasts tail pipe, and grow away.

Under optimal conditions and barring any complications, it takes about 3 weeks to get from raw DNA to expression yeast. Now THC is a bit more complicated, several steps in its biosynthesis, but its still something pretty easy.

(Granted, I'm biased, I have a couple degrees in biochemistry and biotech, but its still simple, kit based, step by step procedural stuff!)

That said, isnt synthetic THC already available from pharmacies? Or is Marinol something else. I've been told that it pales in comparison to extracts/use of whole plant material.

could lsd/mescaline/dmt/psylocibin or any other psychedelic be spliced into yeast?

--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

Offlinematsc
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #20264774 - 07/12/14 10:11 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

In theory? Sure. In practice? Its... a little complicated.

Most natural products are the result of several steps of biosynthesis, starting with a simple primary substrate (fatty acid, amino acid, sugar, whatever)and several enzymes which act sequentially.

We could put these enzymes into yeast, sure, no problem. But getting them to play well together is sometimes like herding cats. You need all the enzymes to get expressed, the product to successfully move from one enzyme to the next in the right order, and finally to ensure that none of the products or intermediates are toxic in the mean time.

I dont know the biosynth pathways of those compounds off the top of my head though, so I cant tell for certain.

--------------------
My Trade List!

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: KruDam]
    #20264820 - 07/12/14 10:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KruDam said:
Baller is the first word that comes to mind.

Hopefully this is a step toward getting synthetic weed off of the market.

I don't see how. We already have a plant that produces THC. I can almost guarantee producing it with a yeast will be less economical not more.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: Kizzle]
    #20264849 - 07/12/14 10:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

But what about the yeast producing CBD? That seems beneficial as 99% of cannabis generally has less than 1% of CBD produced on its flowers.
This can be said for a number of cannabinoids that are produced in miniscule amounts or for cannabinoids that act as precursors for other cannabinoids like CBC.
Show me a cannabis plant with 20% CBC on its flowers...lol

Edited by treesniper119 (07/12/14 10:40 PM)

Offlinematsc
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #20264885 - 07/12/14 10:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

http://biocyc.org/META/NEW-IMAGE?type=PATHWAY&object=PWY-5140

I've seen a couple versions of the theorized biosynth, but they all follow this basic schema. Somewhere between 6 and 7 steps from a common starting material to finished product. As you can see from the bottom, the pathway is identical for most of the pathway, with just the last step or two determining whether you get THC or CBD. So producing one would be just as easy as the other... in theory.

Interestingly, it looks like a lot of these steps are done by polyketide synthases, which fungi are pretty good with. I recognize a few of the groups from my fungal work. Olivetolate for example, very interesting. It looks like what enzyme work has been done is stalling out at that step though, with researchers ending up with olivetol instead (olivetolate minus a carboxylate group).

--------------------
My Trade List!

Offlineshroomer17
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: matsc]
    #20265536 - 07/13/14 02:18 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Not only are the effects of THC and CBD modulated by the other cannabinoids present in the plant, but more research now is showing that the terpenes present in the plant affect the medicinal/recreational effects as well.  I guess it couldn't hurt to be able to bulk produce THC, CBD and whatever to create certain formulations, but hopefully over time they introduce various combinations of terpenes into whatever final products they come up with.

Personally I think whole plant-based medicines will continue to be the most popular option for a long time.

OfflineSprinkles69
Stranger

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: shroomer17]
    #20265951 - 07/13/14 08:30 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

intense

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: shroomer17] * 1
    #20266416 - 07/13/14 11:11 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
I don't see how. We already have a plant that produces THC. I can almost guarantee producing it with a yeast will be less economical not more.

I think yeast is usually a much cheaper way to make something.  A ten thousand liter bioreactor could produce massive amounts of the desired chemical in just a few weeks.

Quote:

shroomer17 said:
Personally I think whole plant-based medicines will continue to be the most popular option for a long time.

Yes, for sure, but in some ways pure THC is better than the full plant extract.  I find that pure THC makes me much less forgetful and tired than smoking weed.  I'd prefer pure THC in the day time and perhaps a little of the natural plant in the evening.

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

#20266462 - 07/13/14 11:21 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroomer17 said:
Not only are the effects of THC and CBD modulated by the other cannabinoids present in the plant, but more research now is showing that the terpenes present in the plant affect the medicinal/recreational effects as well.  I guess it couldn't hurt to be able to bulk produce THC, CBD and whatever to create certain formulations, but hopefully over time they introduce various combinations of terpenes into whatever final products they come up with.

I completely agree.
According to this: http://adai.uw.edu/marijuana/factsheets/cannabinoids.htm
there are around 66 cannabinoids in cannabis.

Quote:

treesniper119 said:
But what about the yeast producing CBD? That seems beneficial as 99% of cannabis generally has less than 1% of CBD produced on its flowers.
This can be said for a number of cannabinoids that are produced in miniscule amounts or for cannabinoids that act as precursors for other cannabinoids like CBC.

There are actually currently four strains with higher than normal CBD levels.  One even has claims of a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio.

They are:
Cannatonic
Charlotte's Web
Harlequin
Sour Tsunami

Cannatonic is the one said to have a 1:1 ratio.

Hemp CBD oil is already widely available and ANYONE can order it online LEGALLY.
Soon the stains mentioned above will be just as abundant.

--------------------
Did you know the pen
Is stronger than the knife?
And they can kill you once
But they can't kill you twice
Did you know destruction of the flesh
Is not the ending to Life?
Fear not of the Anti-Christ

- Damian Marley -

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: ElVatoFirme]
    #20268281 - 07/13/14 07:37 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with what was said about terpines! The enterouge effect, as it has been coined, is a facinating subject, aromatherapy at its finest indeed.

I think you miss read what I had said lol
I said show me a plant with %20 CBC (not CBD)

& unfortunately, what you have described as widely available hemp CBD oil, is generally very low in CBD (RSHO tops out at 21%.)
I'm growing R4 0:1 and CBD crew skunkhaze 1:1 ratios. I'm well aware of the mutations that have been expressed. You must understand that CBD rapidly degrades in sunlight, how is it that you expect to grow a lot of it? Have you ever seen these plants outside? R4 is a pure CBD cannabis plant, the first of its kind, it finishes speckeld and fried looking...tricking the female cannabis plant to produce CBD in copious amounts...Its very unnatural. What about Phenotype variances? Most of Those strains must be selected & cultivated just right to max out anywhere from 10-25% CBD content, they are also not commercial by any means Compared to mass producing the exact cannabinoid that you have intended to via yeast.

Edited by treesniper119 (07/13/14 08:02 PM)

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#20268344 - 07/13/14 07:53 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

If anything, this will pave the way for the medical aspect of cannabis, with respect to terpines, (which certain companies are currently making pure terpine extracts), this is a huge step inthe right direction. Keep the plant for recreational users & hobbyist growers & and make perfect ratio cannabinoid/ terpine meds for exatcly what ails you, on demand, from the yeast, That's fantastic! No more waiting.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20269865 - 07/14/14 06:56 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psyconaught said:
now i'm waiting for all the hippies to say:
"well maybe GMO isn't THAT bad"

Fuck that, because they are. Anyone who claims they aren't hasn't really done the research.

Weed is perfect how it is, leave it be.

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: GMO Yeast to make THC & CBD?! [Re: Ran-D]
    #20271476 - 07/14/14 02:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

GMO is awesome science! Like all science it can be used for good or evil.
(i.e.Secret mass population experiments with GMOs 'bad' THC beer 'good')

-"They should engineer cannabis plants that look like ordinary plants!
and they should give me a virus that infects my DNA with cannabis DNA!!"

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

Offlinelevonskylark
chou chou
Male User Gallery

Loc: Big Green Amore
    #20271493 - 07/14/14 02:26 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

treesniper119 said:

They're getting pretty close to 20!

http://synergycbd.com/cdb-rich-strains/

edit:
Quote:

treesniper119 said:

oops I misread it too

Why would you want cbc that high?

edit2:
Nevermind, researching cbc now!

--------------------

Edited by levonskylark (07/14/14 02:37 PM)

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

#20271758 - 07/14/14 03:38 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

treesniper119 said:
I agree with what was said about terpines! The enterouge effect, as it has been coined, is a facinating subject, aromatherapy at its finest indeed.

& unfortunately, what you have described as widely available hemp CBD oil, is generally very low in CBD (RSHO tops out at 21%.)
I'm growing R4 0:1 and CBD crew skunkhaze 1:1 ratios. I'm well aware of the mutations that have been expressed. You must understand that CBD rapidly degrades in sunlight, how is it that you expect to grow a lot of it? Have you ever seen these plants outside? R4 is a pure CBD cannabis plant, the first of its kind, it finishes speckeld and fried looking...tricking the female cannabis plant to produce CBD in copious amounts...Its very unnatural. What about Phenotype variances? Most of Those strains must be selected & cultivated just right to max out anywhere from 10-25% CBD content, they are also not commercial by any means Compared to mass producing the exact cannabinoid that you have intended to via yeast.

Haha yeah, I did misread.  Whoops.  Sorry about that.

But I'm not so sure about the deformities you mention.  For instance, the well-know Charlotte's Web is just a crossbreed of hemp and a regular strain of cannabis.  As we all know, industrial hemp can be grown outside, and so can regular strains.  Why would a crossbreed of the two be any different?

And with people already curing cancer with the current mariceuticals (marijuana pharmaceuticals) there doesn't seem to be a huge need for stronger products. 

Also, at least in the case of CBCs, it benefits from a synergistic effect.  I wouldn't be surprised if all cannabinoids benefited in the same way.  With current hemp oils (at least the ones I've tried) you get CBD, as well as other cannabinoids.

Plus, cancer can be eradicated much like any other disease.  The need for potent cannabinoid products should decrease as time goes on.  I'm not saying cancer in contagious, but getting cancer inspires a healthier lifestyle.  This will lead to healthier lifestyles in the prevention of cancer.  Cannabis is a big part of that lifestyle.  Not the only part, but it certainly has a bigger role than most give it credit for.

--------------------
Did you know the pen
Is stronger than the knife?
And they can kill you once
But they can't kill you twice
Did you know destruction of the flesh
Is not the ending to Life?
Fear not of the Anti-Christ

- Damian Marley -

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order