Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
nig * 2
    #20249091 - 07/09/14 05:30 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

This is a common meme on the Shroomery.  It is short for nignored which came about somewhere [cough] OTD [/cough]but has infiltrated the other boards and is for some reason being tolerated in other fora.  Why?
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20248258#20248258

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDeadHearts

Loc: MICHIGAN
Re: nig [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20249225 - 07/09/14 06:03 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Cry. I mean it's short for just as you said "ignored". Simplifying words is pretty damn common these days with texting and typing on phones which I am doing right at this moment. In short you made a thread about a non issue.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: nig [Re: DeadHearts]
    #20249318 - 07/09/14 06:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

What's with the "n"?

--------------------

InvisibleDeadHearts

#20249450 - 07/09/14 06:43 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:lol: it's not the same. But hey make ur pitch to the mods I don't see it as any kind of problem but at the same time if that is to become a "banned" word of sorts I could give a shit. But then again that's seems incredibly silly.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20249700 - 07/09/14 07:17 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

You know as well as I do what it is.  Don't be coy.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
    #20254169 - 07/10/14 05:06 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I always thought nig was short for negro? Ya learn something new everyday.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: nig [Re: Stonehenge]
    #20254772 - 07/10/14 07:25 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:

Well if you want to know how fucking stupid people are, some newspaper was chastised for using the adverb 'niggardly.'  (It has nothing to do with the N work. 

But hey, you can't fix stupid.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: nig [Re: starfire_xes]
    #20254863 - 07/10/14 07:42 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

Stonehenge said:

Well if you want to know how fucking stupid people are, some newspaper was chastised for using the adverb 'niggardly.'  (It has nothing to do with the N work. 

I believe it was by a fucking Congress critter.  Guess what flavor that critter was?

--------------------

OfflineMightyWhite
Male
    #20256560 - 07/11/14 05:13 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Butter flavor?

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

#20257247 - 07/11/14 09:49 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
Quote:

Stonehenge said:

True, very true. Here is a good one; the naacp fired a white guy (token) who was on their board and contributed a lot. Why? He used the word "niggardly". Even after it was explained to them what it meant and showed in the dictionary, they still wanted him to go. Once they get worked up they must have a victim to unleash upon, apparently.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

Re: nig [Re: zappaisgod] * 1
    #20278428 - 07/15/14 08:00 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
This is a common meme on the Shroomery.  It is short for nignored which came about somewhere [cough] OTD [/cough]but has infiltrated the other boards and is for some reason being tolerated in other fora.  Why?

Probably because no one really gives a shit.

--------------------
The Shallows, Chapter 7, Nicholas Carr

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#20285106 - 07/17/14 07:25 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

I agree it, as a gratuitous racial slur, has no place outside of OTD. Theres no point to that N except to cast the word into racially derogatory light.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: nig [Re: Asante]
    #20285232 - 07/17/14 08:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

This is an item we agree upon.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDeadHearts

Re: nig [Re: Asante]
    #20285644 - 07/17/14 10:13 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Asante said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

I agree it, as a gratuitous racial slur, has no place outside of OTD. Theres no point to that N except to cast the word into racially derogatory light.

That's bullshit but what's the verdict? Are people going to start getting banned over it?

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #20286741 - 07/17/14 02:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DeadHearts said:
:lol: it's not the same. But hey make ur pitch to the mods I don't see it as any kind of problem but at the same time if that is to become a "banned" word of sorts I could give a shit. But then again that's seems incredibly silly.

It doesn't need to be a banned word for that to be against the rules.  The word nigger isn't banned, but is very easy to be banned for using.  That doesn't mean I'm violating the rules by saying it, as the rules prohibit racism rather than particular vocabulary.

I kind of agree with zappa on this one, it seems a clearly racist expression as some combination of ignored and nigger.  I just don't see how he can say it is tolerated.  Did he report it?  What did the moderator say if so, and if not, how is that indicative of tolerance?

OfflineSmokey420
Male User Gallery

#20286817 - 07/17/14 02:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think the word itself is racist, it's how it's used in context.
Words only have power because we give them power.

--------------------
Workers of Shroomery Unite!

Warning: Everything I say is possibly a work of fiction.
Fuck you NSA

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: nig [Re: Smokey420]
    #20287131 - 07/17/14 04:15 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

And by context you mean if a Negro uses it or a Caucasian.

--------------------

OfflineSmokey420
Male User Gallery

#20287380 - 07/17/14 05:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

For instance you referring to a black man as a nigger,  negro,  or nig would be racist.  Someone saying the word when not describing a person gives it no meaning. There is no racism in a black person referring to another black person as a nigger because there is no cultural context of slavery attached to their interaction.

--------------------

Fuck you NSA

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20287450 - 07/17/14 05:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Smokey420 said:
For instance you referring to a black man as a nigger,  negro,  or nig would be racist.  Someone saying the word when not describing a person gives it no meaning. There is no racism in a black person referring to another black person as a nigger because there is no cultural context of slavery attached to their interaction.

What a crock of relentlessly stupid shit.  Negro is not and never has been racist.  It is a category on the census form.  They aren't fucking black and they aren't African-American unless they were born in Africa.  Which would also apply to Egyptians and lily white South Africans whoo move here and get citizenship.  Your position that a Negro can use words that a Caucasian cannot is racist bullshit.

No cultural context of slave owning for the Negro? 
http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

Quote:

One of the most vexing questions in African-American history is whether free African Americans themselves owned slaves. The short answer to this question, as you might suspect, is yes, of course; some free black people in this country bought and sold other black people, and did so at least since 1654, continuing to do so right through the Civil War. For me, the really fascinating questions about black slave-owning are how many black "masters" were involved, how many slaves did they own and why did they own slaves?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

Quote:

Slavery in Africa has not only existed throughout the continent for many centuries, but continues in the current day. Systems of servitude and slavery were common in parts of the continent, as they were in much of the ancient world.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/slavery/africa/capture_sale.aspx

Quote:

European traders captured some Africans in raids along the coast, but bought most of them from local African or African-European dealers.

Consider yourself educated.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

#20287779 - 07/17/14 06:51 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Smokey420 said:

What a crock of relentlessly stupid shit.  Negro is not and never has been racist.  It is a category on the census form.  They aren't fucking black and they aren't African-American unless they were born in Africa.  Which would also apply to Egyptians and lily white South Africans whoo move here and get citizenship.  Your position that a Negro can use words that a Caucasian cannot is racist bullshit.

No cultural context of slave owning for the Negro? 
http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

Quote:

One of the most vexing questions in African-American history is whether free African Americans themselves owned slaves. The short answer to this question, as you might suspect, is yes, of course; some free black people in this country bought and sold other black people, and did so at least since 1654, continuing to do so right through the Civil War. For me, the really fascinating questions about black slave-owning are how many black "masters" were involved, how many slaves did they own and why did they own slaves?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

Quote:

Slavery in Africa has not only existed throughout the continent for many centuries, but continues in the current day. Systems of servitude and slavery were common in parts of the continent, as they were in much of the ancient world.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ism/slavery/africa/capture_sale.aspx

Quote:

European traders captured some Africans in raids along the coast, but bought most of them from local African or African-European dealers.

Consider yourself educated.

Well said. But don't expect facts to make a dent in their lifelong propaganda mindset.

--------------------

InvisibleDeadHearts

#20287926 - 07/17/14 07:28 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

This is stupid. Carry on.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20287942 - 07/17/14 07:32 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I don't expect to dent him.  Or a lot of the other people I argue with.  I do it for the audience.  Those whose minds haven't be driven into irretrievable mush already by the ignorance industry.  These liars, knaves and fools must be opposed and opposed forcibly and with reason and facts else their message will be all that is out there.  I would be derelict as a human being if I let their crap stand without challenge

--------------------

OfflineSmokey420
Male User Gallery

Re: nig [Re: zappaisgod] * 2
    #20289328 - 07/18/14 01:31 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

You sound so self riotous for some old dude arguing with druggies on the internet.  :lol:

--------------------

Fuck you NSA

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: nig [Re: MightyWhite]
    #20290013 - 07/18/14 07:39 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MightyWhite said:
Butter flavor?

:awejeez:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Re: nig [Re: imachavel]
    #20292842 - 07/18/14 06:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Its strange how the derogatory words for black people have changed over the years.  For instance, 'black' was a mid-level ethnic slur.

My mom said, when I was about 3, at a fair in Florida, I said 'mommy, look at the little black girl....'

And the little girl's mother said, 'did you hear what he called my daughter?' 

My mom said she said 'what the hell do you think she is, white?' and walked away to a look of disbelief on the ladies face.

--------------------

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
    #20292855 - 07/18/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

That's crazy good memory, I don't have shit from before I was 5.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#20292892 - 07/18/14 06:41 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Smokey420 said:
You sound so self riotous for some old dude arguing with druggies on the internet.  :lol:

riotous?

--------------------

Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Re: nig [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #20293209 - 07/18/14 07:50 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

ga5-8896  that was my phone number when I was 3

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

#20293427 - 07/18/14 08:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

My grandfather used the term "coloreds" to describe African Americans.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: nig [Re: qman]
    #20293832 - 07/18/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Some people still do

http://www.naacp.org/

and it seems to be getting something of a resurrection in the recent meme, "People of Color".  I think I am going to refer to myself as a Person of pPallor even though I do get a pretty good tan

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #20295083 - 07/19/14 05:00 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
My mom said,

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: nig [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #20295159 - 07/19/14 06:06 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:happyweed:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder