Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: New York, United States Flag
First rig build!
    #20230089 - 07/05/14 10:10 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Disassembled many, but never actuall buillt one form scratch.

With prices where they are, and my income as it is, I plan to split my purchases into 3 Tiers:

Tier 1: (Cheapish) CPU, GPU, MOBO, (shitty) RAM

Tier 2: PSU, HDDs/SDDs, Case, (good) RAM, *maybe* better processor.

Tier 3: Goodies like fan controllers, case lights and SLI,

In the first Tier:

Intel Pentium G3258 3.2Ghz Dual-Core- Because this is a Haswell refresh, it has a LGA1150 socket, and is unlocked.
I plan to OC to 4.2+-.

Mobo- ASRock Z97 Extreme6- Seems like a well placed mid-high end board for a good price with lots of upgrade possibility.

GPU- Asus GeForce GTX 760 4Gb ROG- Hope to eventually SlI two or more, when one cannot keep up. Good mid-price card with high performance/$ value.

Tier 2:

PSU- Nothing concrete yet but looking at fully modular 600-800w units. Suggestions welcome.

HDDs/SDDs: Also nothing concrete ATM. I was hoping to run thic PC as an overpowered NAS as well as gaming rig, so 4 raid 10 disks with 4TB ea. Would not be out of question. The Mobo has 10 SATA ports so there sould be no problems there. Iwas also considering 2 SSDs in raid 0. Only Windows/Ubuntu/SteamOS would be on these so redundancy would not be very important, rather speed.

Case- Also seeking suggesitons. I don't mind big because it gives me the ability to upgrade and update. On the other hand the 900D might be overkill.

RAM- Since the Mobo only suppots 32GB RAM, and has 4 slots, I a torn. Should I get a 1x8GB, in tier 1, and then get 3 more (same model, clock speed, etc.) later? Or should get like 1GB 1600Mhz, and then sell/give it away, and get 4x8GB. I heard that combining RAM kits is either terrible, or works as long as the values match up...

CPU- This really depends on how amazing (or not) Broadwell and Skylake will be. The Mobo is Series 9 so it will certainly be compatible with Broadwell and probably with Skylake. I also do not know how much of a bottleneck the OC'd Pentium will be...

Tier 3:

This is basically for stuff that is nice to have, but not by any means *necccesary* like case lights, pretty fan controllers etc. Open to suggestions, but will likely be a while before I get to most of these.

My budget for tier 1 is *around* 500$. That being said, I belive that my configuration stretches my dollar in terms of preformance, as well as upgradeability, but suggestions are open.

Will update as things are decided and parts bought.

Sorry for the short novel; tried to split it up as well as I could. The textbox does not aprove of the length either because every couple sentences or so it turns teal, and no text is visible.

Oh well. Let me know what you think in the comments, or if you're shy :pm: me.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers!

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
"Banana's emit radiation. In fact banannas are the standard in detecting solar radiation. The radiation read from a bananna tells scientists how active the sun was during the growing season. Make sure to steer clear of bananas too."
seekaytea said:
"I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin."
Wiccan_Seeker said:
"Your knowledge on male-on-male rape and willingness to engage in fantasy regarding the matter is commendable."
eminemvs.slimshady said:
"I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: First rig build! [Re: rew736] * 1
    #20230625 - 07/06/14 12:20 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I say big no to that CPU.. look where it falls in terms of benchmark performance here - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

CPU is the core of your system performance, don't cheap out too much. That pentium would be a major bottleneck.
I would suggest an i5-4670K or 4690K

CPU is really the last thing you should consider in terms of upgrading in the future. Generally socket types don't last that long anyway so by the time your CPU is obsolete, so will that socket type be usually. So you would usually upgrade your motherboard AND CPU at the same time. So don't buy a crappy CPU now with the hope of something good coming out later, buy a decent/good CPU now and don't limit your performance.

PSU definitely don't cheap out. Go with gold or platinum certified. Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, Coolermaster or Antec.

Case I would suggest Corsair or Coolermaster. Personal preference really. 900D is a great case, but unless you are watercooling or running some monster rig, totally unnecessary. The 750D, 600T, C70 are all excellent cases. Or with Coolermaster the HAF932 Advanced, HAF X are also pretty great. I prefer the Corsair cases myself, they are just nicer to build with.

RAM just get 2x8GB or whatever and you can always add more later if it gets cheaper but you do want to make sure you get a matching kit, like the same make and manufacturer 2x8GB kit.

SSDs go with Samsung or Intel

Fan Controller.. not really necessary unless you have a bunch of fans and you do want to control them with a knob..
But you have a few choices.. digital or analog
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997078
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997046
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997085
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997018

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: First rig build! [Re: Shroomism]
    #20230728 - 07/06/14 01:07 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I second exactly what shroomismsluttyface just said.  That proc you chose just doesn't cut it.  I would get at LEAST a K series i5 chip and overclock it.  Pretty sure even a K series i3 would outperform the chip you chose. 

Also keep in mind that gaming currently doesn't use multiple cores very well, especially more then 2, but right now is when thats starting to change.  Battlefield or call of duty, one of them cant remember exactly whic, has started optimizing to take advantage of muilticore procs and new games and new engines coming will be as well.

Also, running SSD's in a raid 0 isn't really going to give you much real world performance gains.  SSD's are already so damn fast I doubt you will see much difference except in benchmarks, not anything really detectable to you in your day to day use.

Dont forget also that running raid 0 means if a single disk eats shit, you will lose all the data on the entire array.  Years ago I used to run my 10k rpm scsi drives in various array setups, with raid 0 or raid 10 for the 'boot OS' and game partitions, depending on how many disks I had available qand how badly I needed the space.  SSD's are known to have a limiited lifespan just because of the way they work, so running raid 0 on a setup that for SURE will die one day sounds a bit risky for minimal reward to me, even if it is just your OS and games running off it for example.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First rig build! [Re: mndfreeze]
    #20230730 - 07/06/14 01:08 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

oh I forgot to mention another place to look up CPU comparisons is
http://cpuboss.com/

Check it out.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20230751 - 07/06/14 01:23 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

SSDs are just way less prone to failure by default compared to mechanical hard drives just because no moving parts. For reference I've been running 2 of the first gen Intel 120GB SSDs for over 4 years? now and haven't had a single failure or issue. The SSD Toolbox says it has 98% life left. Also have a Samsung SSD that has lasted just as long. Meanwhile I've had multiple mechanical drives fail on me, a Mushkin SSD and a OCZ SSD (OF COURSE). I just think SSDs in general are much less likely to fail, unless you get an OCZ which has a 50%+ failure rate. Go with the Intel or Samsung which has the .003% - .005% failure rate. Even the best mechanical hard drives have a 1-2% failure rate. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/108284-huge-list-of-failure-rates-on-pc-components-french-but-i-translated-nearly-everything/

But yeah generally I would agree.. Raid 0 with SSDs is maybe a little bit overkill for the average person, but if you are looking to get max performance possible that's definitely the way to go. But definitely not with some crappy Pentium CPU. But yeah you won't really notice a huge difference between just running a single SSD and 2 in RAID 0.

--------------------

InvisibleGeorge Sears
43rd President of the US
Male

Loc: New Mexico
    #20230801 - 07/06/14 01:42 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
RAM just get 2x8GB or whatever and you can always add more later if it gets cheaper but you do want to make sure you get a matching kit, like the same make and manufacturer 2x8GB kit.

I say for memory it'd be better to just get a good brand 1x8GB and if you decide that for some reason you need more in the future then wait until Cyber Monday because RAM is uber cheap then. Last year I got 2x8GB for like $60 after shipping and everything.

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20230897 - 07/06/14 02:50 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
SSDs are just way less prone to failure by default compared to mechanical hard drives just because no moving parts. For reference I've been running 2 of the first gen Intel 120GB SSDs for over 4 years? now and haven't had a single failure or issue. The SSD Toolbox says it has 98% life left. Also have a Samsung SSD that has lasted just as long. Meanwhile I've had multiple mechanical drives fail on me, a Mushkin SSD and a OCZ SSD (OF COURSE). I just think SSDs in general are much less likely to fail, unless you get an OCZ which has a 50%+ failure rate. Go with the Intel or Samsung which has the .003% - .005% failure rate. Even the best mechanical hard drives have a 1-2% failure rate. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/108284-huge-list-of-failure-rates-on-pc-components-french-but-i-translated-nearly-everything/

But yeah generally I would agree.. Raid 0 with SSDs is maybe a little bit overkill for the average person, but if you are looking to get max performance possible that's definitely the way to go. But definitely not with some crappy Pentium CPU. But yeah you won't really notice a huge difference between just running a single SSD and 2 in RAID 0.

Thats not what I meant when I was talking about failure.  SSD's are GARUNTEED to fail after so many writes and reads where as a mechanical disk could in theory last way way longer.  I was mostly just trying to point out that SSD's are really not designed to be put in RAID setups, especially RAID zero.  I also forgot to mention that using some of the other RAID types like 5 will make your ssd write and read far more often then if it was by itself, therefore speeding up it using up its read/write before failure.  RAID doing all its backup and error checking/parity will hit the SSD's a bit more.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First rig build! [Re: George Sears]
    #20230901 - 07/06/14 02:53 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Tacomandood said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

I say for memory it'd be better to just get a good brand 1x8GB and if you decide that for some reason you need more in the future then wait until Cyber Monday because RAM is uber cheap then. Last year I got 2x8GB for like $60 after shipping and everything.

In all my years of being a hardware junkie I've never found a need to buy more expensive ram unless I was overclocking and needed something that was tested tried and true to run faster then the base speed of that ram type.  Most overclocking the average person does now with the current type of intel chips tends not even to alter your bus speed and need your ram to go any faster, and you can get cheap generic ram that will work just fine and still be rated for a higher speed as well.  I only buy fancier ram when its only a few bucks difference in price or for specific scenarios like I mentioned earlier or if I need say, specific timings, also something most average people dont need to worry about.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20233208 - 07/06/14 05:33 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I understand where you guys are coming from, regarding a crappy Pentium proccessor, however, it manages to hold its own against the i7 4790k.

Either way, I see your point.

How about the motherboard? Is that a good buy at that price point?

Same for the GPU.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
"Banana's emit radiation. In fact banannas are the standard in detecting solar radiation. The radiation read from a bananna tells scientists how active the sun was during the growing season. Make sure to steer clear of bananas too."
seekaytea said:
"I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin."
Wiccan_Seeker said:
"Your knowledge on male-on-male rape and willingness to engage in fantasy regarding the matter is commendable."
eminemvs.slimshady said:
"I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?"

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First rig build! [Re: rew736]
    #20234621 - 07/06/14 09:44 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Didn't realize it was an unlocked chip.. but still, it sounds like you pretty much have to overclock it.

Only 2 cores, less cache, no hyperthreading.. yeah most games only support 2 cores currently but there are more and more games coming out able to take full advantage of 4+ cores. Or any thing that requires multi threaded workloads.. I dunno I would just rather go with the i5/i7 personally.

The GTX 760 is fine, good mid range card, best bang for your buck, will handle games fine

The mobo you picked seems nice, although I have no experience with Asrock hardware personally. Although they seem to be coming up and making some nice stuff lately, I have no idea. Most people go with MSI or Asus for motherboards.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #20239159 - 07/07/14 08:07 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

i5/i7 there is no difference really besides the fact the i7 is good at encoding for video
but besides that a GPU under i5/i7 will behave exactly the same

I honestly think at this point an i5 is the best way to get your fps up to 60fps, running windows 8 also gets it up there, but using other CPU's won't get you the maximum performance out of your OS to keep the GPU from waiting on commands or whatever it's doing between the mobo and RAM

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First rig build! [Re: Konyap]
    #20242728 - 07/08/14 03:18 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Since I do do frequent video transcoding, I will go for the i7-4790k. I changed the mobo to asus maximus vii hero. I will use an 850w corsair psu fully modular. My friend managed to buy the wrong RAM for his build so he will sell me his 2x4Gb corsair vengeance for 65. The timing is 9-9-9-9-27 iirc. I will likely buy another 2x4 kit later. I will use the Intel 4600 hd until I can afford a real GPU . Will run either Ubuntu or steam os and probabaly dual boot them. How does that sound?

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20242779 - 07/08/14 03:29 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: Yeah def go with the i7 if you do a lot of video encoding.. that will make it a lot faster.
The timing on that RAM should be 9-9-9-24 if it's this kit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

--------------------

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20242810 - 07/08/14 03:36 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Something like that. I think it was 1330mhz though not 1600. I could oc it though yes ?  The CPU only takes 1600...

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20242850 - 07/08/14 03:43 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not sure they make Vengeance that runs at 1333.. can't find it anyway. Could be wrong.
But yeah.. you can OC the RAM in any case. Although no guarantee if the RAM isn't rated for what you are trying to OC to.
But I'm pretty sure its 1600MHz.

The CPU will run it, at stock - at 1333. (Native memory controller speed). You probably won't even need to overclock it to get 1600, you would just need to go into the BIOS, set the RAM timings to 9-9-9-24 (or whatever they are), set the ram voltage to 1.5v and set the frequency to 1600 and blam should be good to go.

For much higher memory speeds (above ~1800-2000MHz), you may need to OC the CPU to achieve those speeds. But to just run at 1600, you just need to set the memory timings/voltage/frequency most likely.

Although you said you were going to OC anyway.
I would suggest get your memory set up properly first and stable, then try OCing the CPU.

--------------------

InvisibleLordSenate Happy Birthday!
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
    #20242879 - 07/08/14 03:49 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

It depends on what you want the system for. Most mid cases can do some incredible shit but I just had to get a bigger case. I have an extra Nvidia 660ti laying around for a gfx card I was trying to trade and no one wanted it. It's big though so it would have to be a decent sized tower. The hdmi out is broke but it is a hard running card. You can still run three screens with it because I have adapters to send with it. I like i7's but a lot of shit is coming out soon. Nvidia should be dropping a bunch of new gfx cards, I wanted to wait but got impatient so I just grabbed a 780 gtx nvidia and said screw the new ones. Get a good PSU as well, that is very important, and the right case for good airflow.

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20242893 - 07/08/14 03:51 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good.  I will ask said friend for details. So the rest of the CPU mobo psu check out?

Is there a best time to buy each of the parts?  When are they cheapest?

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#20242903 - 07/08/14 03:53 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Shroomism would know more than on me. So I shall defer to him. I just buy a decent mobo that will work. I'm not very good with putting together a whole system yet. I mainly can just do ram, change hds, disc players and cases but... yeah I have a few things to learn lol

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First rig build! [Re: LordSenate]
    #20242918 - 07/08/14 03:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah but there's ALWAYS new technology on the horizon and there's always something better coming out in a few months. If you play the waiting game, then yeah in a few months time you can buy the latest high end tech and pay out the ass for it, or buy this generation's stuff for a bit cheaper. But that's how it always is...if he does wait a couple months than he could maybe get that i7-4690k a little bit cheaper. GTX 800 series should drop in September, so prices on the 700 series will drop a little.

But it's just that old technology game... wait a couple months until the latest tech comes out.. then you can buy the latest and greatest at TOP dollar, or buy the older generation stuff for a bit cheaper. But then if you buy the latest and greatest... something better is going to come out in a few months... at some point you just have to settle and decide the right time to buy based on what you need/can spend, if you just play the waiting game (oh something better is coming out next week), you'll be waiting forever, cause something better is always coming out.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20242945 - 07/08/14 04:01 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rew736 said:
Sounds good.  I will ask said friend for details. So the rest of the CPU mobo psu check out?

Is there a best time to buy each of the parts?  When are they cheapest?

Rest of the stuff checks out. Asus board :thumbup: - looks like a good overclocker
Corsair 850w :thumbup: Is it an AX series? Get an AX series.
I didn't notice a CPU cooler... what are you going to be cooling the CPU with? If you are overclocking.. you want an aftermarket CPU cooler.

The best time to buy the parts - see my post above. Generally whenever new tech is released, the older stuff gets cheaper.

If you want to wait a couple months - Intel is releasing their new generation chips soon - and Nvidia is releasing the 800 series GPUs around September. That will mean that the prices on the current generation i5s/i7s will drop a bit, and price on the 700 series will drop a bit.

So it just depends if you want to wait or not. Yeah if you wait a little while you may be able to pick up a few of those things for cheaper, mainly CPU and GPU. SSDs may or may not come down some more in price in the next few months.

If you really want to save some money, wait until cyber monday, prices will already be cut on a lot of stuff and you'll have cyber monday deals on top of it.

--------------------

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First rig build! [Re: LordSenate]
    #20242999 - 07/08/14 04:12 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I won't pinch pennies for the case nor psu.  Those components are reusable to a certain extent between builds. However since money is tight,  I will go careless. The first order of business is CPU mobo ram psu. Everything else comes next. I likely won't start buying guarantee let alone building till the end of summer. You speak of Broadwell chips. Allegedly they are not more powerful but rather more power efficient. Regardless, the mobo will take Broadwell without a hitch. Does the above mentioned psu pass your test? As far as case i was thinking either the haf series or corsair xxxd cases.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20243133 - 07/08/14 04:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Tbh i did not think of a CPU cooler. I know noctua makes killer coolers but their shit brown color scheme is off-putting. I won't oc out if the box rather for when it starts not keeping up,  then oc to keep its head in the game.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

OfflineKonyap

#20243270 - 07/08/14 04:59 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I was thinking of getting a build for destiny, it's only 30fps on the consoles

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#20243286 - 07/08/14 05:02 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I agree, I never buy brand new things when it comes to computers. I wait until new stuff comes out and the older stuff that still is just perfect for a cheaper price. Depends on how bad I want my computer and what I'm looking for but generally just going with current technology and then wait til the new stuff drops in price. save some $$$

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20243295 - 07/08/14 05:04 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah Broadwell sounds more like a lateral move than anything, not an upgrade from the 4790k really.
Noctua coolers are very good.. but yeah that shit brown...
if you want to stick with air cooling and want something cheap check out the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.. heard lots of good things

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20250942 - 07/09/14 11:39 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I really like the array of choices available now for closed system water coolers you can get for your CPU.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20253841 - 07/10/14 03:55 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Me too. The Corsair units are great. And now many other manufacturers offer similar ones.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#20254165 - 07/10/14 05:05 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineKonyap

#20254177 - 07/10/14 05:08 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

that other thread i posted has a 150$ card that's decent

OfflineKonyap

#20254183 - 07/10/14 05:08 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20254309 - 07/10/14 05:39 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

290x.. enjoy running at 100c while gaming :cookiemonster:

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20255936 - 07/10/14 11:30 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Fuck ATI/AMD

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20282737 - 07/16/14 07:06 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

So much hate... team red or green??

I updated the list a tad

I put in a coolermaster v1000 1000w PSU. 9.7 jonnyguru review.
Cordair 750d case

I will keep this updated.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

OfflineKonyap

#20283204 - 07/16/14 08:42 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

imma probably build a p.c. when cyber monday gets here, i want something to play borderlands 3 or destiny 2 on.

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20309845 - 07/22/14 06:44 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Would a 360 and 280 radiators be able to cool 2 gtx 780s (or even an 800 series) as well as CPU and MOSFET?

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20309870 - 07/22/14 06:53 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

a 360 and a 280? Yeah that should be sufficient.. I think. Just make sure to get some good thick ones and good static pressure fans, and a good pump.
If you want to be on the safe side, as a general rule you want 120mm for every component you are cooling, plus an extra 120 for headroom.
If you want to give some extra headroom I'd go with 3x240, assuming your case has space for it, which the 900d definitely does

I would do the 360 for GPUs and 280 for CPU/mosfet, something like:
Res > Pump > CPU/Mosfet > 280 Rad > GPUs > 360 rad  > Res

You are going full on watercooling on your first build? Do you know what you're getting into?

--------------------

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20310314 - 07/22/14 09:49 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I plan to get watercooling at some point, and wanted to make sure the 750d is large enough. I was thinking to get some of the new industrial noctuas for aircooling, and then re use them when I would be willing and able to afford actual watercooling.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20310344 - 07/22/14 09:58 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=63&lng=en

cpu cooler

its good because it should clear these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233218

and these are the newer noctuas, a significant depature from shit brown and vomit tan. 140mm should be enough, but on the 360, 120 might be in order.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=84&lng=en

Also, I have googled, but i am not sure If i could fit a 420 into the 750d. I don't mind sacrificing the top bay because I will have a fan controller, so it should leave most of the bay free anyway.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20311125 - 07/22/14 01:42 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Noctuas are good for air, but they aren't the best radiator fans out there. For those I think the title goes to Scythe Gentle Typhoon. Although those Noctuas don't look very bad..

I'm not sure if a 420 will fit in it either.. a 360 would

--------------------

Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

#20317289 - 07/23/14 06:32 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

hmm... i will check those out. I was hoping to run the whole loop off one 420 as opposed to 2 rads.

If it would fit, would I be able to run the loop ok?

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
seekaytea said:
Wiccan_Seeker said:
eminemvs.slimshady said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20317491 - 07/23/14 07:11 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah you can do two rads.. you could do something like one RAD cooling CPU, one after GPUs.

Order of the stuff in the loop doesn't really matter as long as you have the Reservoir before the Pump, or feeding into the pump.

I would do something like
Reservoir > Pump > CPU / Mobo > RAD > GPUs > RAD > Reservoir
or Reservoir > Pump > GPUs > RAD > CPU > RAD > Reservoir

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order