Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: March Hare]
    #20245235 - 07/08/14 11:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Okay.  One of the jars that had condensation ended up turning all sorts of pretty colors, mostly yellow.  This was a jar that barely had any myc growth, so I suspect that a contaminant took hold somehow before the myc could.  I had it thrown out.
So far, I have 30 jars with mycelium growth.  7 or 8 are getting pretty close.  I am planning on spawning to coir and vermiculite and fruiting in monotubs.  I have 3 bricks of coir, and three very large Tupperware tubs available to use. 

Do you think 8 to 10 half pint pf cakes and one brick of coir be a good setup per tub?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: gotwake]
    #20245408 - 07/08/14 11:47 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Those ratios would work.

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #20257079 - 07/11/14 08:56 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

So one or two of my jars seem ready.  One is developing what appears to be myc Pisa.  BUT I wanted to wait until I had 8 jars ready to spawn to bulk.  If I were to put the colonize jars in the fridge to slow them down, then took them out when the others were ready, would the ones from the fridge take more time to wake up and spread than the others?  Do you think I would be fine if I put the ready jars in the fridge, then took them out to mix with the ones that just finished colonizing?  I can't think of any reason why not, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #20257085 - 07/11/14 08:58 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

gotwake said:
One is developing what appears to be myc Piss.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mycelium does not urinate, does not have a bladder, and there is no such thing as myc piss.  Why this horrible disinformation persists after we've known for over 50 years that these liquids are antibiotic and released in response to bacteria is beyond comprehension.
Next time you get sick, ask the doctor for a myc piss shot instead of antibiotics and see him look at you like you just bumped your head or fell off a turnip truck.
If your grains are infected, there will be metabolites.  If you've colonized at above normal room temperature, bacteria has been stimulated and thus the metabolites.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's not even a waste product, and people who call it piss are ignorant.  The liquid is excreted to help break down the substrate, and in a different formulation is produced to fight contaminant molds and bacteria.  These are the products antibiotics are made of.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Mycelium does not urinate, not is it infused with bacteria.  Metabolites are anti-bacterial in fact.  Mix it with water and use it on your plants.  It's an excellent fertilizer.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
The mycelium secretes enzymes to help break down the substrate for digestion and also to help ward off competitors.  If you're using excessive temperature or have excessive contaminants, you'll have more of these secretions, which have nothing to do with urination.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
These enzymes can be many colors, including red.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
These enzymes are secreted to help break down substrate materials and also to help ward off competing organisms.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Also remember the pH will naturally swing towards acidic as the mycelium secretes enzymes to break down the substrate.  Use gypsum to help prevent it from going too low.
RR

OfflineCaptainpaps
Babaji NA MA AUM
Male User Gallery

Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: PussyFart]
    #20257107 - 07/11/14 09:04 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:laugh2:

--------------------

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: Captainpaps]
    #20257148 - 07/11/14 09:16 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Dude I knew that it wasn't actually Piss.  It might be penis envy, but I'm not that dumb; just thought it was fun to call it pee. Ive read about the enzymes and had read everything that you quoted RR saying.  I was planning on getting gypsum to help w ph but was wondering if slowing down growth in the fridge until the others finish colonizing would require the refrigerated ones extra time to wake up and start spreading.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #20257178 - 07/11/14 09:24 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

No, they should be fine right out the fridge.

InvisibleTheEaglesGift
The Nagual

Loc: Ixtlan, Mexico
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: PussyFart]
    #20258128 - 07/11/14 01:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #20348554 - 07/29/14 07:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Update.  I dunked and rolled 3 cakes and birthed them in a shotgun fruiting chamber.  Out of those, one started pinning two days ago, and another yesterday.  A few are starting to grow to a decent size already.

I also grated 10 cakes up over a coir and vermiculite substrate, which has been consolidating in a monotub for four days with tape over the holes and a garbage bag blocking the light. 

As an experiment, I tried to take one consolidated cake and spawn it to bird seed jars.  I didn't do this carefully enough, and ended up with a few jars having green mold and most of the other grain jars with apparently too much moisture.  For these reasons, I have ordered more grain in the form of spawn bags and have ordered more syringes.  I have made a glove box and have vowed to do these grains right. 

The grain bags should be here in a few days.  In the meantime, I have another ten pf jars that are close to being done, which I plan on spawning to another monotub.

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20348845 - 07/29/14 09:04 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Im sorry all your work is contaminated.

Im sorry all your jars are fucked.

Im sorry all your work is contaminated.

Im sorry all your jars are fucked.

As I read this, above statement keeps going through my head.
Pussyfart is trying to tell you that you have a sterilization problem. Please tell us your procedure, and maybe we can help. What kind of PC are you using?

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: Sockadin]
    #20352743 - 07/30/14 07:38 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I'm confused.  I don't recall pussyfart telling me I have a sterilization problem.  I had over 25 pf jars turn out just fine, not even all done consolidating yet.  Three have pinned in a sgfc. One, I would say is already fruiting. 9-10 were grated and are consolidating in a monotub.  And ten more are almost ready for another tub.

I only screwed up the grain jars, which were in a different area and have been cleaned and disinfected already. They were contaminated because I tried to do a pf cake to grain transfer in a small, still-air (and what I thought was sterile) room with no glove box.  I will soon have sterilized grain bags and more syringes, and have made a glove box to do it right this time. 

You didn't mean that I ruined my whole workspace because I had a few contamd jars, do you?  I made sure to empty and clean them outside.

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20352779 - 07/30/14 07:46 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Let me clarify. I was probably drunk last night. If you see antibiotic enzymes from your spawn, you more than likely have a bacteria problem in those specific jars or tubs. Usually you can fruit with no problem before it all goes to hell.

A few bacteria in your spawn isn't the end of the world and your workspace is fine. Just remember to always use good sterilize procedures and you'll be alright. Bacteria is harder to identify than molds when your spawn is colonizing. The mushroom in my avatar was from a Antibiotic enzyme heavy tub I did years ago. I ate them and they tasted great.

Make a SAB instead of a glove box. Same thing without the gloves. The gloves will pull in unsterile air when you move them around inside the box.

I would love to see some pictures of how it is going.

Invisiblemushmagic
supporting radical habits
Male User Gallery

Loc: Candyland
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: Sockadin]
    #20353680 - 07/30/14 11:42 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sockadin said:
Make a SAB instead of a glove box. Same thing without the gloves. The gloves will pull in unsterile air when you move them around inside the box.

:whathesaid: Also how would you plan on getting your tools out of the tub to flame sterilize them if you have gloves attached to the tub?

--------------------

Trade list in journal (partially under construction; more to be added)

Don't judge a man by what kinda shoes he in, judge a man on where that man's shoes been.

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: mushmagic]
    #20371099 - 08/03/14 09:44 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Okay.  So the cakes have already produced some nice fruits already.  The first monotub is looking fairly consolidated so far and appears very healthy.  I haven't been opening it, just lifting the black garbage bag cover to peak through the clear lid.  I also have 9 pf jars almost ready to spawn to another monotub.

I also just tried to inoculate grain bags today.  I had 4 TWO lb bags of hydrated sterilized rye berries with an air filter patch.  I ended up just keeping my box a still air box.  Sprayed disinfectant all over an empty room with no air circulation.  Then sprayed and wiped down the inside and outside of my SAB.  I had just showered, wore a newly washed long sleeve shirt, and flame sterilized in between each bag.  I used one whole syringe for the four two lb bags.  I had pre-cut strips of duct tape which were kept inside the SAB and quickly applied to the injection sites immediately after injection.  I am keeping them in the SAB right now in a very clean, still-air area. 

Sound like a good sterile procedure?  Has anyone had much luck with sterilized grain bags?

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
Re: first time growing. 4 diff strains, rye flour, May try grain [Re: mushmagic]
    #20373255 - 08/04/14 02:28 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

My first monotub looks like it's pretty close to being ready for fruiting.  The myc is looking very strong and healthy.  However, it is not 100% white and there are more mycelium in some areas than others.  I have heard that adding a little moist verm to the showing myc will help it colonize evenly and will produce a better flush.  Also, am I supposed to wait until it is completely white?  What if I see pins before that happens?

I wish I could post pics but am without a camera atm.

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
    #20393412 - 08/08/14 08:34 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

So,I had inoculated 4 grain bags 4-5 days ago.  I used one full syringe between the four 2 lb bags.  The bags were said to be sterile and have an air filter and came in shrinkwrap. I wiped down everything with alcohol and did everything in a SAB in a clean, still air room.  I wore gloves and flame sterilized the syringe and quickly covered the inoculation point with tape and have left them in a clean area since then.  However, I have seen zero signs of mycelium yet.  Did I not use enough spore solution?  Do bags just take longer than jars to show signs of colonization?  I'm pretty sure my procedure was about as sterilize as can  be.  B+,btw.

On a good note, I had crumpled 4 cakes into a coir bed outside under a tree in my back yard a few weeks back.  It colonized well.  Past few days have been rainy and relatively chilly.  Yesterday I discovered 30-40 healthy looking pins.  Picked a few that popped up and broke veil while I was at work.

Offlinegotwake
Stranger
    #20484285 - 08/27/14 01:49 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

So first flush turned out a little bit low compared to what I thought it would be.  About an ounce dry.  I was expecting at least 4 or so.  Oh well.  I have heard that second flush is typically bigger.  Only problem is, I can't find info on how exactly to prepare for second flush.  Some have told me to pick all the tiny pins, as they are aborts and will rot or contaminate.  Some have told me to leave them because they will grow with the next flush.  Am I supposed to dunk or not after first flush?  If so, how?  Do I take the substrate out with the garbage bag and put it in another tub with water?  Do I need to worry about field capacity after this?  Do I tape the tub back up and wait for more mycelium to consolidate again, or is that stage totally done?  I'm sorry about all of the questions, but am confused about dunking and have heard conflicting information.

Good news is, the boomers turned out fantastically.  All look beautiful and healthy.  Already dried most for storage.  About to eat some fresh soon.  I have a bunch of pictures from the whole project that I plan to post soon.  Just a little lacking in technology to right now.  Not bad for a first timer.  Thanks for all the help, guys.

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
    #20484650 - 08/27/14 03:16 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

wait, this is too much text and too many different grows going on.

I take it your talking about dunking your monotub. its a hazzle and most likely not needed.
Large substrates like the one in a monotub dont need to get dunked,
its enough to give them some heavy misting after a good flush.

dont tape up holes again, consolidate does not = colonize btw.

And do NOT cut off your tiny pins now, they are waiting their turn to flush.
black hats = aborts and can be harvested and dried as you harvest and dry the rest of your flush. perfectly fine to eat.

PF tek cakes can get dunked for 24 hrs or set in a saucer of water overnight in the sgfc.
feel their weight to judge how much water they have lost.

:goodluck: nothing like the feeling of growing your own psychs! :yesnod:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds