Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x)
    #20146261 - 06/17/14 06:42 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Just finished making an order on my first gaming laptop, kinda excited as i will now be able to play games like Elderscrolls Online and the likes. Set me back just over $1700 with 2yr warranty extra ram and carry bag, what are your thoughts on alienware laptops for gaming as i am new to the world of pc gaming?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: newageshaman]
    #20146290 - 06/17/14 06:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Generally labtops can't be upgraded like desktops can. You're also paying more for the brand name. If you're getting a labtop becuase you travel a lot or would use it a lot while not at home it will be better value.
If not then you might want to see if you can cancel your order and  build a desktop yourself.

--------------------
It's all for the :lol:s

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: Eggtimer]
    #20146326 - 06/17/14 06:55 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

generally i'm out of the house with my computer so that's why i got the laptop, I have read that alienware is said to overpriced as far as value for money goes. I will probably look into getting a desktop when i have a more permanent place of residence, I'm just more stocked that i will finally be able to play alot of the new generation game's.

I did probably jump the gun in buying the laptop as early as i did, didn't do much shopping around so i probably could of got a better laptop for cheaper. Either way i feel like a kid at christmas waiting to open his presents :girlishjoy:

Offlinefallouton420
Stranger

#20146385 - 06/17/14 07:06 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ya alienware is almost always more expensive and they aren't the best out there I know my brother always goes to Sager for his laptops and they are pretty good idk where he got them though sry

--------------------
All the things I have said am saying or will say are to be discredited and taken as false, due to an overactive imagination trying to imagine what it would be like in these actual situations

InvisibleNitrous Monkey
selftitled
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: fallouton420]
    #20147346 - 06/17/14 09:58 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I've always wanted an alienware. Give us a little review of it once you get it. I'd like to hear how it does on gaming. :cool:

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: Nitrous Monkey]
    #20147874 - 06/17/14 11:53 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Holy fuck you way overpaid. If your gaming you need a desktop. Ouch.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: newageshaman] * 1
    #20148061 - 06/18/14 12:52 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Alienware used to be ok, before they were bought out by Dell a few years ago. They were overpriced then even, but at least they were good.

Now Alienware quality has gone way downhill because they use much cheaper quality components, and they still gouge the fuck out you.

Yes you can get WAY more performance from a desktop for the same price (or cheaper), but with a laptop you are paying more for portability.

Although looking at the specs of that laptop, you got ripped the fuck off.
It doesn't even have a discrete GPU or an SSD. For close to 2k I would expect BOTH of those things.
It's using Intel HD 3000 graphics (onboard CPU video).. good luck playing any higher end games at high/decent settings.
And it's only a 14" monitor... and a slow processor.....AND a shitty mechanical drive...
For that price you could have gotten a much better gaming laptop with a faster CPU, an actual GPU that will perform MUCH better in games, with a higher resolution monitor, and probably one with an SSD.

If I were you I would return it before opening it, so you don't have to pay a restocking fee.
Then get a Toshiba or Asus gaming laptop of similar price and I guarantee you it will be better.

Repeat - you got ripped the fuck off, even for a laptop.

Or pay a little more and get one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00CZ8J592

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: Shroomism]
    #20148084 - 06/18/14 01:00 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ya I agree. Ouch. I'm sure shroomism can find you a better deal. I'd get your money back will be worth it.

Save money and an all around better cpu especially for gaming.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: Enjoywho]
    #20148101 - 06/18/14 01:05 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Better CPU + discrete GPU + an SSD at the bare minimum. If you paying close to 2k for a "gaming" laptop, there is no excuse not to have most of those things. God I hate Alienware.
You basically are paying $1700 for a $700 laptop. So you are paying an extra 1k for the alienware name, which means absolutely nothing, as they don't even have a good name in the industry anymore. They are a joke.

In case my credentials are in question, been building gaming PCs for over 15+ years, and have worked in the computer hardware industry for the last 5.

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20148112 - 06/18/14 01:09 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ya for real. My asus is 3 years old. I payed about 900 for it. I didn't buy it specifically for gaming. I made sure it had dedicated graphic card and such. It won't play high end games but I only really play LoL on my comp.

Which it handles just fine. Anything else I just play on console. Hard to find time to game most days anyway.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20148124 - 06/18/14 01:13 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Eh that's really not what I wanted to hear, I'm not really sure if I will be able to return the unit :foreheadslap: I'm going to see what I can do though as I hardly want to get this badly fucked over, will have to read through there return policy

Could you tell me what would be a better laptop to get for gaming as a desktop really practical at the moment. Thanks in advance guys...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20148134 - 06/18/14 01:19 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Where did you order it from? If Newegg or Amazon, it should be pretty easy to return.... as long as you don't open it. Then they might charge you a 15% restocking fee or something.

Here are just a few choices, around that same price range, that BLOW that thing away in performance ALL AROUND:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152567
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231631
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152594
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA57X1MX6980

Or the razer blade I linked earlier, if you feel like paying about 200 more, you'll get a MUCH faster and higher quality gaming laptop, thinner than a macbook air, and the lightest gaming laptop on the market.
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00CZ8J592
Or the newer, upgraded model -
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Touchscreen-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00J06F4T2

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20148144 - 06/18/14 01:25 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I ended up buying directly from the dell website, I'm hoping I should be able to return unopened without too much trouble. I'll have a look at those comps and  if I can return it then I will buy one of those, thanks again Shroomism and everyone else. Shouldn't of got such a hardon over the Alienware laptop

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20148153 - 06/18/14 01:29 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

It happens to a lot of PC noobs. You wouldn't be the first. I don't know why, but the Alienware name attracts a lot of noobs that think they are going to be these uber awesome machines. But little do they know..
The Alienware name used to be good... back ~5-6 years ago they made some really good systems... but they were still WAY overpriced.
Now since Dell bought them out they have gone to complete shit and are still way overpriced.

Hopefully Dell is easy with returns. I have no idea on them personally. Just avoid anything Dell/Gateway for a gaming PC.

For a gaming laptop, brands you want to look at are either Toshiba, Asus, MSI or even Lenovo makes some really good ones, or the Razer.

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20148193 - 06/18/14 01:46 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ya I always thought alienware was supposed to be good but overpriced. But I trust shroomisms judgement he works with comps for a living. I'm casual myself but I've built a couple desktops for under a 1000. But that's just basic assembly.

But I also just play older games. Or not high end stuff. My ps3 is good enough. Don't really have a lot of time to game anyway.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20148200 - 06/18/14 01:49 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thank fuck it hasn't been shipped and i can cancel my order for a full refund. Currently looking at getting a MSI Laptop will post here before buying for your opinion if you don't mind man?

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20148252 - 06/18/14 02:12 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I'd go with asus. Mine has been solid for over 3 years now. I'd buy another. When I do that's probably what I will get.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20148264 - 06/18/14 02:28 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I am thinking that i might just leave it for awhile, save up a bit more and then buy the the new razer blade pro plus some accesories. I'm not sure at the moment but when i do decide to buy another laptop then i will post here to see what youse think.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20148266 - 06/18/14 02:29 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yep post it here first and we can check it out :thumbup:

Good deal that Dell hasn't shipped it yet and you can cancel for a full refund.

--------------------

OfflineDangerZone
Stranger

#20149861 - 06/18/14 02:04 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I bought the same laptop, R1 version. It's not bad, but it's not worth it. It gets hot as fuck (burn your hand hot) when gaming, and the fan is a little annoying. I've had it for 2.5 years, HDD died last month. Wish I'd saved the money and built another desktop and purchased a different laptop. Would have had two machines for the price of one.

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20150131 - 06/18/14 03:16 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Once my refund ends up being processed from dell (They reckon within about a week or two) i will be buying the razer blade 14inch. http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00G349XT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403125733&sr=1-1&keywords=razer+blade

I can't get over that i can get a much better quality laptop for the same price, Including carry case.

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20150145 - 06/18/14 03:19 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:thunbup:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20150760 - 06/18/14 05:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Can't really go wrong with that Razer Blade. They are fantastic gaming laptops. :thumbup:
If you ever have a problem Razer support is very helpful as well.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20150781 - 06/18/14 05:45 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Also, for a gaming laptop - I would always recommend you get a cooling pad with a fan on it. This will help keep temps down considerably when gaming which will in turn extend the life of the hardware.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0
http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Massive23-Notebook-Oversized-CLN0015/dp/B003ZUXXWO
etc..

(never use your laptop on a soft surface like a couch cushion or something, you want it on a hard surface so airflow can get through it)
However if you have a cooling pad, you can put the laptop on that and put the cooling pad on a soft surface, np.

And make sure to dust it out regularly to prevent dust buildup.
Dust builds up fast in a laptop! (lots of tiny tight spaces), And Dust buildup = overheating = the number one cause of preventable death or premature failure on many laptops.
However, if stay on top of dusting it out regularly (every few weeks), and keep it on a cooler, shouldn't be an issue.
You can waste money on canned air....

Or you can buy one these BAD BOYS and NEVER buy canned air again. And it's about 20x as powerful.
It pays for itself after about the 5th or 6th time using it.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20150842 - 06/18/14 05:57 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks again man, i will put a cooling fan down in my cart when i get my refund back. Will probably just dust it with a small dust brush to begin with then look into something like that mini-vac, how often would you suggest dusting out the laptop? every 2 weeks or so?

OfflineDirtyTomFlint
( ಥـْـِـِـِـْಥ)
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #20150886 - 06/18/14 06:02 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I used to be really into PCs, but haven't been for many years. Isn't it cheaper and better to build your own system? I used to save tons of money by building and I'd come out with a much better system than I could have bought.

--------------------

Know Your Body, Know Your Mind, Know Your Substance, Know Your Source

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20152286 - 06/18/14 10:00 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yes it is always cheaper and better to build your own (desktop). But you can't build a laptop :tongue:
He wants a laptop for traveling, which I understand. I had a gaming laptop for years for the same reason.

Quote:

newageshaman said:
Thanks again man, i will put a cooling fan down in my cart when i get my refund back. Will probably just dust it with a small dust brush to begin with then look into something like that mini-vac, how often would you suggest dusting out the laptop? every 2 weeks or so?

No.. a dust brush won't cut it. You need something that BLOWS non-static air at a high velocity, so you can blow the dust out through all the vents and such. Canned air works ok, but that Data-vac thing I linked, is about 10x stronger than canned air, and will last a VERY long time (I've had mine for over 3 years now and it's a beast).

I dust out my laptop and desktop, about once every 2-3 weeks. Takes all of 30 seconds.

The cool thing about it is, you can find a ton of uses for it besides cleaning your computer. I used it to clean out the dust/vents etc from my car as well. And spot drying in tight spaces.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20152471 - 06/18/14 10:45 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ah okay cool well i will end up buying the data-vac aswell, atleast it will save on buying multiple air-can's. Now if only dell could refund my money in the next day or two ...

Offlinexpl0de
ḆËŦŦЯ_őƑ_Ŧwo ƹvïlz
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: newageshaman] * 1
    #20152710 - 06/18/14 11:33 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Good thing u listened and returned that shit OP.
$1700 for an integrated gpu?  :freshwtf:
Alienware has always been such a fail.

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: xpl0de]
    #20152785 - 06/18/14 11:56 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a bit late to the party but I looked his laptop up to see and it has an nvidia 750 in it.  not sure why you guys think it has an intel 3000 in it?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-14/pd.aspx

alienware is def overpriced but they are not THAT bad that you would pay 1700 for some on board card and non-ssd.  Even their cheaper then 1700 options have ssd setups and nvidia mobile chipsets.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20152828 - 06/19/14 12:08 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

newageshaman said:
Once my refund ends up being processed from dell (They reckon within about a week or two) i will be buying the razer blade 14inch. http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00G349XT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1403125733&sr=1-1&keywords=razer+blade

I can't get over that i can get a much better quality laptop for the same price, Including carry case.

ok someone has to explain to me what specs you were all looking at on the alienware because the m14 series page I looked at, the 1699 alienware had almost the same specs as this one, but more ram???  Was there a ninja edit or something that you all saw that I'm not seeing?

Alienware 14
$1,699.00
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
Windows 8.1
16GB Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5
Save $150 for a limited time. Victory starts here. With double the memory and a 2GB Nvidia® GTX 765m, lay waste to the competition.
Alienware 14 price includes $150 instant discount.
This offer may qualify for up to $50 in bonus coupon savings. Click to view coupons
Get a $200 ePromo gift card by trading in select used consoles or PCs.
Market Value5$1,849.00
Total Savings$150.00
Dell Price$1,699.00
Dell Preferred Account
As low as $51 / mo* | Apply
Estimated Ship Date: 7/2/2014
E-Value Code: DKCWG03S
Add to Cart
Add to Compare

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Choose Options

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: mndfreeze]
    #20152855 - 06/19/14 12:16 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I'd still get the other one. :shrug:

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20152862 - 06/19/14 12:19 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Its pretty damn expensive for a system that only has 8GB of RAM. For that much I would expect it to at least have 16.

Also, for some reason the Razer with the 256G SSD is like 2k, but the 512GB ssd model is 1700. odd.

Like I said, I am not a fan of alienware but when ytou are dropping that kind of cash and being super picky the stats got to at least match up.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20152912 - 06/19/14 12:36 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I was looking at this one I think - http://www.amazon.com/Alienware-i7-2630QM-Processor-Windows-Premium/dp/B0054Y5WVO

Although it appears there are multiple different versions of that model. So I'm not sure exactly which one he got.

Either way, any of the models I linked will still outperform that alienware. Thing has a slow CPU, a shitty seagate mechanical hardrive, unless he was looking at a different one. But fuck Dell/Alienware anyway!

16GB of ram is completely superfluous for gaming. Most games don't ever need any more than 4GB. 8GB is plenty sufficient.
If we are talking video ram that's a different story. But AFAIK they don't have a mobile titan GPU yet heh.
If you do a lot of video editing and rendering and whatnot, sure then get 16GB.
But games don't use anywhere near that much. Most important is the CPU and GPU. However I did link one or two models that had 12-16GB AND were cheaper than the alienware.
But RAM isn't everything, not by a long shot.

The 512GB SSD Razer being cheaper than the 256GB SSD confused me too. But I *think* it's because the 512GB version is an older version. However not sure. Amazon is kind of confusing like that sometimes. Razer has like 3 generations of those laptops, so I think that's one of the earlier ones.

It's not that expensive when you consider what it has:
SSD
Fast CPU
Thinnest gaming laptop on the market
Lightest gaming laptop
A MUCH higher quality touchscreen display
new models supports a 3200x1800 resolution

and it's NOT alienware
Even though I hate Windows 8. Can always pirate 7..

That alienware's resolution is 1366 x 768.. what is this, 2009?
Or 1920 x 1080 if he went for the higher models

16GB of RAM is completely unnecessary for a gaming rig.
I had 8GB in my desktop and I upgraded it to 16GB for the hell of it a while back when RAM was cheap.
I've noticed almost zero difference. In gaming there is absolutely NO difference at all. What it did allow me to do was disable my paging file completely to save a little space on my SSD and run paging file from RAM. And I notice slightly snappier response times when multitasking 5000 windows at once or rendering videos. But it's not going to make a single difference in games. Simply because nothing I do is really that intensive that I NEED that much RAM. I just got it because.

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

#20152940 - 06/19/14 12:43 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well put. I've always known when I'm buying a new laptop or building a new desktop im going to ask you first.

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20157194 - 06/19/14 09:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Well if you were looking at that link then yeah, those specs suck, but that amazon system was first listed in 2011 so no wonder it sucks ass. :smile:  If he bought it from Dell then it would have been the one direct from alienwares page which has an SSD, and has an nvidia card and isnt nearly as bad as you guys made it out to be.

and the display is
14" WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display

For 1700 I still would expect 16Gof ram as wqell, especially since ram is cheap compared to other parts of a computer.

OP, I'd find out if you can add in another 8 when you place the order, and also find out which generation razer that is since there are a few according to shroomism.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#20157705 - 06/20/14 12:16 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

ram is cheap??  I disagree, have you shopped around?  I've seen 16 Gigs for over $700.  Talking desktop ram though.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #20158036 - 06/20/14 04:17 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah RAM was cheap a year or two ago.. it spiked way the hell up though.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20158386 - 06/20/14 08:03 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Actually OP, this laptop just came out. You might want to consider this one.. it has better specs than the Razer Blade overall (better GPU (w/ 3GB of VRAM!), better CPU, higher resolution) and it's about the same price. And it has a steelseries keyboard!

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-Ghost-Pro-15-6-Inch/dp/B00JSA1PH0

And it comes with a 128GB SSD AND a 1TB mechanical drive for more storage.
And 16GB of RAM to satisfy freezy :tongue:

If I was going to get a gaming laptop right now, that would probably be it.

They have cheaper versions of it too: (albeit with less RAM or a lower quality GPU)
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-Pro-052-15-6-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00JKCHT1C
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS60-GHOST-003-9S7-16H212-003-15-6-Inch/dp/B00IQ4H7E4

Here's a review on it:
http://www.kitguru.net/laptops/zardon/msi-gs60-2pe-ghost-pro-15-6-inch-laptop-review/

--------------------

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#20161007 - 06/20/14 07:37 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I'd think twice before buying from an amazon seller.  Amazon is actually really easy to work with and takes returns no problems.  This item is being sold by a seller, and I'd be damn sure to get a warrantee.  If you have problems you'll be directed to the manufactuer most likely.  It should already come with a warantee.  Never bought a laptop, but thats overkill methinks.

Edited by Galvie_Flu (06/21/14 12:37 AM)

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

Loc: Barter Town, AUS
    #20161456 - 06/20/14 09:39 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:doublefacepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm3:  :huxleyfacepalm:  :smbfacepalm:  :stanhopefacepalm:

--------------------
Everything I have said, may say, will say, am thinking about saying and/or thinking/typing/dreaming/writing is in all likelyhood made up and has no factual basis in reality whatsoever, and is likely all plagiarized and copy pasted straight from someone else, so get mad at them .  Just a warning

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: MastaBlastar]
    #20161500 - 06/20/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I bought an Alienware for my first gaming PC, when they first introduced the alien cases over modified IBM pc towers, and I have never regretted a WASTE of 2300 dollars more.  Yeah, it was a nice fast pc, and I didn't have to buld it, but it was all generic components other than ram and cpu/GPU, but I could have built 2 of the same pc for the money.  laptops, are a little different.  Without your own 3D printer, and/or access to cheap parts, building a laptop isn't quite as easy.  Sure you could say buy broken laptops and modify them OR just take an old xbox and put regular pc parts in that, but thats more a labor of love.  Back on the topic of AAlienware, they were OK early on, WAY oversold middle range leading to 6 month waits on a fucking PC build (i can assemble a pc in 30 min blindfolded, 6 months you fucking kidding me), and in the end sold out to dell.  So :shrug:  Yeah, i am sure its a good laptop and surely will play GARBAGE like ESO (another discussion) but there are definately some cheaper brands that will run faster.  Hell at alienware prices get a damn macbook pro and install windows on it, the build quality will FAR exceed alienware.  I think ESO may be on Mac, actually I know it is.  There are actually a lot of pc games on mac now to make it a reasonable excuse to splurge on a macbook pro, if you are into that kinda thing.

--------------------
Everything I have said, may say, will say, am thinking about saying and/or thinking/typing/dreaming/writing is in all likelyhood made up and has no factual basis in reality whatsoever, and is likely all plagiarized and copy pasted straight from someone else, so get mad at them .  Just a warning

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#20161501 - 06/20/14 09:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

lots of shipments are fucked with, i'd buy the warrantee, but see if you can get it for free from the manufactuer.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20162104 - 06/21/14 12:20 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Galvie_Flu said:
I'd think twice before buying from an amazon seller.  Amazon is actually really easy to work with and takes returns no problems.  This item is being sold by a seller, and I'd be damn sure to get a warrantee.  If you have problems you'll be directed to the manufactuer most likely.  It should already come with a warantee.  Never bought a laptop, but thats overkill methinks.

:facepalm:

Look again at the seller. That's being sold directly by MSI (the manufacturer) through Amazon. It comes with a 1 year warranty. And you can buy an extended warranty.
You can buy it on Newegg or Tiger Direct as well.. but it will be the same thing.
Amazon is great for returns/exchanges if you have ever had to deal with them.

You will have to go through the manufacturer for warranty on ANY electronic product after 30-45 days in most cases. Regardless of where you purchase it from.

--------------------

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#20162162 - 06/21/14 12:34 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

ive been trying to find a similar laptop for op, the thing is , when it says 1 is left, its usually none left, they just want to sell it, unless op already purchased.  I've seen the less expensive ones that come with a warrantee from bestbuy

ok looks like everything is from MSI, but that warrantee is a rip off.  Best buy has a cheaper one.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20162213 - 06/21/14 12:49 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ya I wouldn't buy that extended warranty.. that is a rip off...
Haven't checked it on Newegg or Tiger or whatever but probably cheaper there too.

--------------------

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

#20162247 - 06/21/14 01:01 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i double checked, msi offers a limited warantee that should be ok.  Its a real popular laptop sold out at alot of places.

I wonder if OP is still participating? or is he trolling.

TROLOLOLOL

InvisibleCosmic_Flame
THE BREAKFAST EMPRESS
Female User Gallery

Loc: Under The Sea
    #20162893 - 06/21/14 07:17 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

ewww alienware  :puke:

--------------------
Pull the blinds and change their minds....

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

Re: Bought first gaming laptop (Alienware m14x) [Re: Cosmic_Flame]
    #20163302 - 06/21/14 09:52 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

Galvie_Flu said:

:facepalm:

Look again at the seller. That's being sold directly by MSI (the manufacturer) through Amazon. It comes with a 1 year warranty. And you can buy an extended warranty.
You can buy it on Newegg or Tiger Direct as well.. but it will be the same thing.
Amazon is great for returns/exchanges if you have ever had to deal with them.

You will have to go through the manufacturer for warranty on ANY electronic product after 30-45 days in most cases. Regardless of where you purchase it from.

A lot of high end pc manufacturers are generally pretty good with warranties and such as long as your are still in the time period and a lot of times even out of warranty.  They would rather just fix it with the already paid for spare parts than take the bad pr hit of tight knit communities such as pc gamers.  Couple bad comments and a company can go out of business with such razor thin profit margins.  Even DELL.  i tripped over my laptop cord, they were there the next day with a box to pick it up and 2 days later it came back fixed and i was 6 mos outside of my service plan with that service.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20165188 - 06/21/14 06:14 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Galvie_Flu said:
I wonder if OP is still participating? or is he trolling.

TROLOLOLOL

Lol yeah i'm still participating :tongue: just waiting for dell to process my refund so that i can get the either this

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS-Series-GS60-GHOST-003-9S7-16H212-003/dp/B00IQ4H7E4/ref=psdc1_t1_B00G349XT6_B00IQ4H7E4

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B00G349XT6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403395875&sr=1-4&keywords=razer+blade+pro

I'm leaning more towards the MSI cause it has more memory and a newer graphics card aswell as being the same price.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20165245 - 06/21/14 06:35 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Definitely go with the MSI.

Faster CPU, double the RAM,
128GB SSD AND a 1TB hard drive vs just a 256GB SSD on the Razer. (Less SSD space, but tons more storage space overall. but you really don't need all that much anyway.. just install your OS and programs on the SSD and install everything else on the 1TB mechanical drive) You won't be able to install a ton of games on that SSD, but you could at least install a couple, depending how big they are.
+ a better GPU,
+ a larger screen supporting a higher resolution

That's definitely the better buy methinks.

If you plan on getting an extended warranty though, shop around because that looks kinda outrageous what amazon is charging for it.

ALTHOUGH.... that IS a drops and spills warranty. Which means they cover physical damage and liquid damage.. things which usually ARE NOT covered by warranty. Meaning if you spill water on it and and fry the motherboard or kick it down a flight of stairs 2 years from now, Amazon will replace it with a brand new model of equal or greater performance no questions asked. So it may actually be worth it.

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20165293 - 06/21/14 06:47 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

*Edit* im a idiot it comes pre installed with windows 8.1 :facepalm3:

Edited by newageshaman (06/21/14 07:03 PM)

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20165852 - 06/21/14 09:19 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I also say go with the MSI.  It's what I would buy if I had your amount of cash and was shopping. 

Also as far as games on SSD go, put the games that have the most loading screens/loading times on it, or if you play one specific game way more then others, like how I am with elder scrolls online, put that on the SSD.    I'm in a similiar situation where I have 2 120G SSD drives and then a 2TB mechanical and 2 500G mechanicals from my old computer.  OS of course is on my C: SSD, then the only other thing I install on my SSD's at all is games.  When I get close to filling them up, or if I have a game that takes massive amounts of space but I dont play often, it goes on my e: drive, the 2TB storage drive.

For the most part games wont really take advantage of an SSD other then when they are loading into memory.  So it works well for MMO's with lots of loading between areas.  But a game like WOW for example where the transisition between zones is seamless, you wouldnt really notice or use the ssd to its potential.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

#20166081 - 06/21/14 10:38 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:whathesaid:  The MSI wins hands down and the 1tb drive more than makes up for it and a hdd is the easiest pc upgrade.  I have a 500 gb ssd but titanfall and wolfenstein are 50+ gb each, so it goes quick.  Have 2 3tb 1 2tb and a 500gig for streaming video and as far as ingame perf notice no difference in games.  Maybe like sins of a solar empire in a huge battle where you get forced to use a page file.

--------------------

Edited by MastaBlastar (06/21/14 10:42 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20166705 - 06/22/14 03:52 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

newageshaman said:

Doesn't matter. Pirate 7. Don't let the OS preinstalled on it effect your decision. The hardware is better.
You generally want to reformat and fresh install an OS anyway on a new prebuilt/laptop as they will usually have all sorts of bloatware you don't want/need anyway.

And what freezy said. Games aren't really going to take advantage of an SSD at all except when they are loading things from the hard drive, that's the only time it's going to make any speed difference at all - faster load screens. MMOs would be the most logical thing to put on an SSD if you play them, or anything that has a lot of textures/maps to constantly load, which MMOs are mainly. Games like ESO, FF or Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Other than that you don't really NEED to put your games on the SSD and it's not going to make any difference at all except when loading the game. So if you play an MMO a lot, put that on the SSD, but put everything else on the mechanical drives and it will be perfectly fine.

--------------------

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

#20170241 - 06/22/14 07:48 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Quote:

newageshaman said:

Doesn't matter. Pirate 7. Don't let the OS preinstalled on it effect your decision. The hardware is better.
You generally want to reformat and fresh install an OS anyway on a new prebuilt/laptop as they will usually have all sorts of bloatware you don't want/need anyway.

And what freezy said. Games aren't really going to take advantage of an SSD at all except when they are loading things from the hard drive, that's the only time it's going to make any speed difference at all - faster load screens. MMOs would be the most logical thing to put on an SSD if you play them, or anything that has a lot of textures/maps to constantly load, which MMOs are mainly. Games like ESO, FF or Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Other than that you don't really NEED to put your games on the SSD and it's not going to make any difference at all except when loading the game. So if you play an MMO a lot, put that on the SSD, but put everything else on the mechanical drives and it will be perfectly fine.

Don't forget supcom and SoaSE that get a decent gain from a SSD in huge late game battles where the antiquated code forces you to use a pagefil even tho you have plenty of system ram.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #20171629 - 06/23/14 01:38 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Ya but that's more the exception rather than the rule, due to poor coding more than anything.

--------------------

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

#20172271 - 06/23/14 08:10 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Ya but that's more the exception rather than the rule, due to poor coding more than anything.

Lol never said why, but ya its 100% poor coding.  Single threaded....

--------------------

Invisiblenewageshaman
Amateur Ethnobotanist
Male

#20175820 - 06/23/14 08:42 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

How fucking stupid is this my order was a 14inch alienaware backpack carry case and the M14x, and they canceled only the backpack part of my order because they are such dumb shits that they processed them as two separate orders. Why the fuck would i want a laptop with no carry case, and for fuck sakes why the fuck would i won't the laptop any way. I wwish i could kick there fucking dumb faces in :grrr:

Edited by newageshaman (06/23/14 08:53 PM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #20177658 - 06/24/14 06:50 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

i think alienware machines are ugly as fuck :shrug:  the only thing i buy from dell these days are their ultrasharp displays

there are basically two different angles you can go with your gaming laptop, something w/ decent portability like the razer blade at 4.4lbs w/ a midrange mobile gpu (probably 865m)

or you can get like an 8lb laptop with an 880m

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order