Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepyrob
Stranger
Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: smurfbury]
    #20508343 - 09/01/14 10:03 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Any other Gainesville hunters here hoping to hit like Northgahunt did this year?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVirginiaGentleman
Lignin seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: birch beech maple oak
Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: pyrob]
    #20508424 - 09/01/14 10:22 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

say a visitor plans a trip into Caerulescens territory. What is prime season, besides the common online information? Lets say NE corner of AL towards NW of ATL.

Is it heavily rain based?

Much reliance on habitat?

--------------------
Ps. Allenii, Arcana, Azure, Baeos, Caerulipes, Cyan, Ovoid, Subreg, etc FT - Only seeking Ps. woodlovers - legal USA + CAN - Intended for microscopy use only

Edited by VirginiaGentleman (09/02/14 07:40 PM)

InvisibleVirginiaGentleman
Lignin seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: birch beech maple oak
Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: VirginiaGentleman]
    #20508459 - 09/01/14 10:30 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Also offering a 4 to 1 of caerulipes to weilli print

--------------------
Ps. Allenii, Arcana, Azure, Baeos, Caerulipes, Cyan, Ovoid, Subreg, etc FT - Only seeking Ps. woodlovers - legal USA + CAN - Intended for microscopy use only

Offlinepyrob
Stranger
Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: VirginiaGentleman]
    #20508636 - 09/01/14 11:14 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_weilii

Map of the range and general info there

OfflineGoldberg
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: pyrob]
    #20509834 - 09/02/14 10:23 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I feel like that range map is just bogus, they've been found here in SC as well as Alabama and TN.

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

Loc: north georgia
Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: Goldberg]
    #20516522 - 09/03/14 08:55 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've been doing some real digging through the previous official weilii threads and it seems that either things have gradually gotten slower with weilii finds over the years or that folks simply aren't posting as frequent.
Like I've said in other threads, this is my first year really targeting weilii and it has been years since I've been on the hunt for active species.
I have so many notes and so many locations in mind but, and correct me if I'm wrong, it just seems like the temperature from midday until 5 is just to damn hot. We've been tickling the 90s and exceeding here and there.
I guess I'm just bummed that this thread doesnt seem as active as the others were around the beginning of September.
Perhaps I missed a wave of enthusiasm?

OfflineGoldberg
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: hickory_nut]
    #20516677 - 09/03/14 09:29 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Dude it's raining like a mother fucker here and supposed to cool off, it's already cooled off. I bet you'll start seeing this thread come alive, I think you spoke at like the perfect wrong time.

OfflineSoopaFly
OG Trip
Male User Gallery
Loc: Woodstock, Ga
    #20517321 - 09/04/14 12:19 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I've been picking weilii for 12 yrs now and they are getting harder to find due to over picking I remember back when I first started picking they were every were in yards in the woods on the side of the roads etc.. But now I feel that with the climate change that's has been going on in cherokee county plus the over picking this mushroom is disappearing I use to have 5 spots all with in a 10 min walk from my house that sprouted a couple pounds a day and these patches came up year after year in the exact same spots now nothing comes up at all. Even when I go look in "perfect habitat" I find nothing. I am far from an  rookie when it comes to hunting and I have found that their growing habits are severely changing and it sucks!!!!!!! P.s. If any one would like to go hunt hmu

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

#20517912 - 09/04/14 06:37 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hey brother, I hope you're right.

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: SoopaFly]
    #20517917 - 09/04/14 06:41 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I hope this isn't the case.
Either way, I think my hunts will be tough no matter what here in Bartow. I'm confident they're here though and definitely not over picked.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Loc: North GA, God's fav
Trusted Identifier
    #20518224 - 09/04/14 08:28 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

the weilii gods will make you eat your words and your words will smell farinaceous

OfflineWeiliiCoyote
Stranger
Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: SoopaFly]
    #20519039 - 09/04/14 12:05 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hickory_nut said:
I hope this isn't the case.
Either way, I think my hunts will be tough no matter what here in Bartow. I'm confident they're here though and definitely not over picked.

Mushroom Observer shows 2 finds in Bartow.  Good Luck!

Quote:

SoopaFly said:
I've been picking weilii for 12 yrs now and they are getting harder to find due to over picking I remember back when I first started picking they were every were in yards in the woods on the side of the roads etc.. But now I feel that with the climate change that's has been going on in cherokee county plus the over picking this mushroom is disappearing I use to have 5 spots all with in a 10 min walk from my house that sprouted a couple pounds a day and these patches came up year after year in the exact same spots now nothing comes up at all. Even when I go look in "perfect habitat" I find nothing. I am far from an  rookie when it comes to hunting and I have found that their growing habits are severely changing and it sucks!!!!!!! P.s. If any one would like to go hunt hmu

I have noticed the decline as well, however I don't spend much time searching for new locations anymore.  I used to spend day after day walking around looking for these guys.  I figure certain areas can only produce for so long.  After years go by the soil is no longer really disturbed and whatever pine debris were in the soil have been eaten up.  The mushrooms job is complete and they move on to some place new.  I think the weather does have a lot to do with it.  About 7 years ago I found the greatest patch ever, it produced to a lesser extent for 2 more years and dried up completely.  Who knows how long it was there before I found it.  It does seem as though all of the great weilii hunters of the past have gone underground.  Posts from Phishhead were always my que to get out and hunt but I haven't seen any posts from him at all this year.  Maybe the risk just got too big, maybe they grew up and moved on to other interests.  It's a shame we have to worry about legal problems from picking a little bit of nature off the ground.

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: doctorghosty]
    #20519115 - 09/04/14 12:28 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I hope this is so.
By the way, I went hunting on my lunch break and found a turtle. Once finding it I was sure the weilii gods were smiling down on me. Nope. All's well however.

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

Re: Official Caerulescens (Weilii) Thread 2014 [Re: WeiliiCoyote]
    #20519195 - 09/04/14 12:58 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I'd be curious to know the habitat of the weilii found in Bartow.
By the way, I had something else I wanted to run by you all.
So reading Northgahunt's old thread from 2009 really got me thinking. I was really confused by the fact that he seemed to have been the only fellow finding weilii in such a habitat (not saying he was the only one but he was finding way more weilii and way more producing locations than anyone else by far).
So I started looking in to the pine beetle itself. I know a fellow who knows a helluva lot about these things. I called him and asked him right out the gate what he knew about pine beetles. He talked about them in detail for a good five minutes. I kept waiting for him to finally say something that would turn on the lightless bulb above my head. Right when I was about to get off the phone with him he says "And what's crazy is it's not even the beetle that kills the trees. It's a fungus. It's called Blue Stain Fungus."
Wait. What?
I got off the phone and then began researching. This was strange and exciting to me. For one, numerous times Northgahunt specifies in his previous posts that most all, if not all of his finds where within the parameters of devastation caused by this beetle. Not only that but this fungus that is caused or carried by this beetle is called the god damn Blue Stain Fungus... What the hell is going on here? Is my recent obsession causing lunacy?
So perhaps this fungus is the missing link to Northgahunt's findings. I mean it'd make sense. And if it is somehow correlated then it'd also makes sense as to why other hunters could go in to a pine forest matching the description and find nothing - because the devastation there was never exposed or caused by this fungus.
I asked my friend during the conversation if our county had had any recent pine beetle devastation or even any small cases that were quickly controlled and he said the most recent he could think of was in a bordering county...
I'm also curious as to whether or not some of these removed trees could have ended up being mulched and ended up being distributed in our location? I feel like that is really stretching it but all of this has me puzzled.
I found several locations on my lunch break that matched his descriptions to a T except for the pine beetles. I found sections of pine that opened up with red clay exposed and grass sprouting near drainage areas with signs of flood wash spelled in the needles. Here I found huge toppled piles of pine trees. I lifted limbs and exposed all unseen "pockets" and I did find white signs of a fungus and even yellow powdery signs but I found no weilii fresh, dried up or sprouting.
I'm sorry if my hypothesis has been discussed before I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I really get to head out and hunt these babies. If the wooded weilii is indeed dependant on the pine beetle or the fungus brought or caused, I dont want to waste time in the pines when I could be looking around abandoned development sites that I have charted out.
Sorry this is so long.
Maybe someone will read it.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #20519374 - 09/04/14 01:52 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

It's not dependent on the beetles, imo, it's just a positive indicator. They grow in plenty of non-pine beetle damaged areas also.  I have never found weilii in pine beetle damaged areas, but I've found them in the woods and in grass. And I find prob 100 turtles to every 1 weilii I find, slow yo roll, it's prob gonna take some time :shrug:

check the 2012 thread also.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16983407/fpart/all/vc/1

some good nuggets in there also.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #20519419 - 09/04/14 02:03 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

*But I also don't bust my ass to find them. Hope you find them soon!

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

#20523203 - 09/05/14 08:03 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Brother, if you only knew how hard it is for me to slow my roll. When something gets in my blood I might as well be a rabid dog. Y'all will probably have to take me out back like ole yeller before this season is over.

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

#20523991 - 09/05/14 11:48 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Found these this today. The first I must admit had me really excited but I've concluded that it isn't anything substantial.
But I thought I'd throw it up on here to be certain that I'm not overlooking anything.
It was beginning to turn to ooze a bit and was really soft so I will be unable to print it. Really theres not much info I can provide other than habitat.
It was beneath a pine tree slightly hidden beneath the straw. At first I thought I had found my first weilii but then I remembered someone stating that they turn black when dying. The pine tree this was beneath was right of a road of a construction site. It also looked as if someone had been there before me.
Sorry for the photo quality. All I had was my phone

Offlinehickory_nut
Alien
Male User Gallery

#20523999 - 09/05/14 11:50 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I know the pics above are horrible and the mushroom is in horrible shape but I figured I'd throw it up anyways.
Also, the gills were a creamy tan and the mushroom smelled bad.
Not sure if this was due to its condition or what.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #20524152 - 09/05/14 12:34 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

if that was caerulescens, the stem would not be bright white like that, especially in that degraded condition. I would think that those kind of totally gnarly looking million-to-one longshot mystery fungi are prob best left to ID requests until you actually find a weilii to post here :shrug:

I'm not the mayor of this thread though so keep on keepin on if you like.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals