Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCinopsilo
I'm back
Loc: Somewhere in the middle o...
Alabama finds
    #2013237 - 10/16/03 01:08 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Anyway, as for the question there is about 8-10 pastures on my road one direction, about 6-7 of them being big cow pastures, some with as many as 50-70 cows on each one, and about 2-3 of those pastures being horse, goat, and sheep pastures. Well it rained for about 2-3 days off and on (pretty good soaking rain for first time in a couple weeks or so). So I decided to hunt for mushrooms a couple days ago.
First spot I hit was my own front yard (horse pasture), now we've lived on the property for a month give or take a week or so, & everytime I check the field there's all these non-edible mushrooms (some growing from horse dung, some growing from grass in pasture), and so far I've seen 4 good active growing psilocybe's growing from thick grass in pasture one time, and on 3 seperate occasions I've found this one horse patty that's in semi-thick grass right behind our fence, which has a great deal of foliage on the fence giving this particular area where the cow patty sits pretty good shade. So, nearly a month ago, was the first time I noticed big, fleshly, yellow ringed caps (yellow, orangish center of cap, fading to white) growing out of horse dung. Well, unfortunatly a friend ate the mushrooms before identified, and he tripped, and it's been a month since he ate, and no adverse affects are noticed says "dumbass mushroom eater" so indications were that it was a good edible mushroom, now, I've posted the ID of these shrooms a while back, and most replys said yeh, it's probably good, (description- classic Cubensis-looking cap with yellowish ring around center fading to white, large, fleshy, sticky, bruising a noticeable blue at base of stem and where touched..general measurements of a P. Cubensis, normal Cubensis looking gills, turning dark brown to almost black when dried, and stalk had central black ring around it near the top of stem, ring was raised to the touch, definatly noticeable, but no different looking or feeling then persistant ring found around P. Cubensis.)& just for extra information it's average of 55-60 degrees here.
Here's where the tricky part is...... It's not cow dung, it's horse dung, and P. Cubensis does not grow out of horse dung, if my memory serves correct, mainly P. Coprophilia & P. Subalteatus grow out of horse dung, and at least one of the 2 I just listed does not turn blue, maybe both lack the blue, correct me if i'm wrong, and in all the FAQs it says that neither Coprophilia or Subalt. should have the black ring zone around stalk, so lemme point out what I almost for sure know positively
-Mushroom most-likely safe potent shroom to eat having dumbass friend ingest 4 mushrooms, & experience psilocybin effects, yet no adverse affects.
-It's not P. Cubensis, since it lacks the cow dung habitat
-It's neither Coprophilia or Subalteatus since one if not 2 of these do not bruise blue, & mushroom found did bruise blue noticeably & almost positive neither Copro, or Subalt have the black ring zone around stalk.
Spore print varied from dark purplish, to dark brown to blackish looking print. & guinea pig who ingested unknown mushroom claims the effects of such mushroom felt just like every other mushroom trip he's had and I personally know of him eating medium sized to large amounts of mushrooms aproximatly 10-15 times. Any advice on identity of this mushroom?
As for my 2nd stop that day it was a majority cow pasture, but there is a couple horses there too. I've been here enough to know that P. Cubensis has grown here before. The pasture is generally the size of a football field. From personal experience, I've found that If you find 10 cow patties with cubensis growing off of them, they're likely to be in that same place next time you go after rain as a pose to mushrooms growing off every cow patty. So, not long after wandering in the pasture, I followed the fence line near the road and found several cow patties with what I believe to be P. Cubensis. Cap resembling an egg cooked over medium, with yellow in middle, white on edges of cap, gray to brown gills, bruising blue at base of stem, and location touched, and persistant black ring around stalk near the top towards cap, & hollow cap, spore print leaving purplish brown to dark brown prints.
Few questions now (as if I have'nt asked enough),
1.) Is it normal to maybe find maybe 15-25 P. Cubensis growing out of 15 or so patties of cow dung when there is probably 1000 patties out in the field?
1.5.) I mean is it common to find Cubensis in only a small fraction of the cow patties out there, or is it common for P. Cubensis to be growing out of most cow patties on a field known for good pickin's?
2.)Do safe, edible Psilocybe mushrooms have a tendency to grow better out of cow dung that's fresh? or old and dry looking?
3.)Is it even possible for safe, edible, hallucinogenic mushrooms to grow out of horse/cow dung that's been there for couple months or long period of time, or does it matter?
4.)Is it more common for hallucinogenic, safe to eat mushrooms to grow out of cow/horse dung, or more common for non-hallucinogenic, poisonous to deadly to eat mushrooms to grow out of dung?
Thanks for your time

--------------------
"Did you see what GOD just did to us maaaaan?" -Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
"As your attorney, I advise you to get a very fast car, & you'll need the cocaine too." -
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Edited by Cinopsilo (10/16/03 01:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGreanhouse
Scribe to theHoly Voices ofthe Shroom Gods
Re: Alabama finds [Re: Cinopsilo]
    #2014051 - 10/16/03 11:00 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

1) Yes, not all cow patties will have cubies. But if you are tapping the caps before harvesting you should see them spread. You can help this along by making spore prints of the ines you find, diluting them in distilled water, filling a 2 liter bottle or such with the water spore mixture and making a little hole in the bottle and walking the feild to spread the water around.

1.5) In my experience, the more the feild it harvested the more the cubies spread and therefore when you come back again over a period of time, months, years, they will become more plentiful.

2) 12 weeks is what I understand to be the most active age of cow patties producing cubies. The mycelium has to grow first.

3) See 2

4) If it appears to be a cube, I usually eat them. I have no bad experiences with look alike cubies. It is not reccommended to eat unidentified shrooms.

I hope this little bit of experience I am able to relay helps. Good Luck!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Alabama finds [Re: Greanhouse]
    #2014883 - 10/16/03 04:12 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

i cant think of any poisonous dung-loving mushrooms at the moment. of course there could be poisonous mushrooms growing an inch from the dung. most dung species are inedible and some are hallucinogenic. as always id them first and shit.

Offlinefarhaven46
Stranger
Is it true that no dung-loving mushrooms are poisonous? [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #6096803 - 09/24/06 11:03 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Can anyone confirm this, that there may be no dung-loving mushrooms that are poisonous? I have found some small whitish mushrooms growing out of cow dung in Southwest Florida. I have not taken a spore print because they are so small. A few that I didn't pick had veils. None that I picked bruised blue, but merely darkened. The caps lack the golden brown color of P. cubensis. Thank you for allowing me to post in this thread, and if it is inappropriate, I will post elsewhere, but the information I require is extremely important to me. Thanks.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Is it true that no dung-loving mushrooms are poisonous? [Re: farhaven46]
    #6097262 - 09/25/06 01:50 AM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Holy shit that was a massive writeup :grin: 927 words long.

Anywho, definately dont go around thinking dung lovers arent poisonous, you should always KNOW what you are eating, just assuming they are safe is a silly way of doing things.

You should learn what Psilocybe cubensis looks like, and its ID traits.
Also copelandia cyanescens (also called panaeolus cyanescens) what it looks like, and its charachteristics.

Ps cubensis = Fairly large mushrooms, browny gold cap, white stem with  distinct annulus(ring on stem), bruises dark blue and has a purple-brown spore print.
C. cyanescens - tall, skinny mushroom, white, with bell shaped cap, black spore print, bruises heavily dark blue when even lightly handled.
If you find mushrooms that fit these descriptions, take a photo and we can confirm your suspicions.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification