Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCrumist
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here!
    #19940082 - 05/04/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

How do you guys play your games that have difficulty sliders? For shooters, action games, RPGs, and strategy games, and when there are five choices of difficulty, I tend to go for the second hardest, when there are four I take the very hardest setting. I sucks at racing and sports games and usually can't turn up the difficulty level until I am familiar with the game, and then I usually can't get much enjoyment from the higher difficulties.

I always felt the consensus is that it is best to do a first playthrough on the medium/default difficulty, as it gives the intended experience and because the slider usually manipulates the game in very simplistic ways (aka give bad guys more health and daka, give the PC less health and daka).

Playing on a harder difficulty makes the game more frustrating, but also provides an entirely different experience. Plus the game then lasts longer. I can remember playing the Call of Duty: World at War campaign on the hardest difficulty and spending more than an hour and a half trying to make my way up the stairs into the Reichstag near the end of the game, or getting stuck defending some old house from a window in Gears of War for more than a week.

On the other hand, turning up the damage slider on three most recent Elder Scrolls games isn't much fun and requires joyless grinding to game the leveling system that increases the difficulty of encounters. That is, you spend many hours getting a level 1 character with 99 blunt skill and 99 heavy armor and then the game provides an identical experience to turning the damage slider all the way down (or at least I assume, I haven't done this myself)

I haven't played DarkSouls yet, but for the first time I am seeing a large group of people celebrating a good challenge and those "throw-your-controller-at-the-wall" moments. So, I ask again, how do you play your games?

--------------------
'I am all for resources being allocated to the widowed single mother of 3, lost husband over seas fighting for our country. I am for vets getting mental health access and resources following war. I am not for free money cause a woman can't close her legs or some chump with low testosterone no going to work cause "i'm sad."' -finalexplosion
Nice knowin ya'll! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23904704/vc/1#23904704

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: Crumist]
    #19940277 - 05/04/14 01:25 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Well Dark souls series is definitely one of the most challenging gameplays there is. However it is also fair and the game rips on you for making mistakes which is how gaming should be IMO, fair but challenging.

Too often games are just easy mode hack and slash, infinite godmode eat 100 bullets no problem while you mow them down with a RPG 1 foot away or something stupid.

That or the opposite, it's just hard with no compensation for the difficulty factor. Which is fine, if you want a serious challenge for whatever reason or you like pulling your hair out.

I definitely go for the harder difficulties on games, as I like to use strategy/tactics if possible - but not every game.

Games like fallout though, where you essentially to next to no damage, take insane amounts of damage and have no return on the difficulty factor, is just boring to me. There is nothing to give you an edge to the ridiculous factor. That isn't fun, that is just tedious gameplay.

Offlinemushroom_sandwich
semi retarded
Male

Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: Uzziel]
    #19940584 - 05/04/14 02:46 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I usually play normal mode in a lot of games now a days because more often than not the increased difficulty is just you dealing less and taking more damage, which seems artificial to me.

Real difficulty like the dark souls series however is definitely my cup of tea, I like difficult games where I'm forced to really think and try different things, or not be hand held throughout the entire campaign.

--------------------
“I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown. Our pale reasoning hides the infinite from us."

OfflineCrumist
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: mushroom_sandwich]
    #19940869 - 05/04/14 03:46 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Question then: what makes Dark Souls difficult? Why is that kind of difficulty real and damage sliders artificial?

--------------------
'I am all for resources being allocated to the widowed single mother of 3, lost husband over seas fighting for our country. I am for vets getting mental health access and resources following war. I am not for free money cause a woman can't close her legs or some chump with low testosterone no going to work cause "i'm sad."' -finalexplosion
Nice knowin ya'll! https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23904704/vc/1#23904704

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: Crumist]
    #19941251 - 05/04/14 05:39 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

It is quite easy to die. However, it is also quite easy to live. The only thing that determines which one, is your skill. Your ability to react, dodge, block and when to strike are all crucial to your survival. People have done no-death runs in a game that kills most people within the first 20 minutes of playing, easily.

People can beat the game at level 1.

Some people can't beat it at level ~100.

To an extent artificial sliders are useful, but an easy game will always be easy, and a hard game will just turn ridiculously tedious.

Example:

Skyrim - Easy even on Legendary, better than playing on novice, but still, easy.

Fallout3- Insanely tedious on hardest difficulty, not even worth the effort.

Offlinemushroom_sandwich
semi retarded
Male

#19941645 - 05/04/14 07:38 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
It is quite easy to die. However, it is also quite easy to live. The only thing that determines which one, is your skill. Your ability to react, dodge, block and when to strike are all crucial to your survival. People have done no-death runs in a game that kills most people within the first 20 minutes of playing, easily.

People can beat the game at level 1.

Some people can't beat it at level ~100.

To an extent artificial sliders are useful, but an easy game will always be easy, and a hard game will just turn ridiculously tedious.

Example:

Skyrim - Easy even on Legendary, better than playing on novice, but still, easy.

Fallout3- Insanely tedious on hardest difficulty, not even worth the effort.

Uzziel put it pretty well, Dark Souls is purely skill based.

Games like Skyrim and Fallout just make it to where you have to hit enemies 100x more than on normal difficulty which is not only immersion breaking, it's just tedious.

--------------------
“I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown. Our pale reasoning hides the infinite from us."

OfflineAD420
Male User Gallery

Loc: MEXXX
Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: mushroom_sandwich]
    #19941742 - 05/04/14 08:01 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I finished both fallout 3 & new vegas in very hard (not that difficult imo).

Im playing dark souls right now and i love it, at first I used to think it was an overrated hack & slash game but boy i was wrong:lol:

I love that feeling when you get to beat a boss after dying 10+ times:stoned:.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: AD420]
    #19942852 - 05/05/14 03:09 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

DS Prepare To Die got too hard for me. I was entering Blighttown and got cursed so half my life is now gone and my best weapons are about to break and the enemies got really strong. There's just no hope of advancing any more :mad:
Also, all the bosses weren't defeated by me, I just summoned an upper level player and let them kill it while I stood back.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #19944016 - 05/05/14 12:01 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I play the game the way it's to be enjoyed, usually vetern, people that play normal piss me off sometimes it's like if you can't challenge yourself to play the game then why waste your time playing it

InvisibleGeorge Sears
43rd President of the US
Male

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: Konyap]
    #19945094 - 05/05/14 04:46 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Honestly, call me a bitch, but I like playing games on easy the first time through. Not because I can't play on harder difficulties, but because I just want to get through it as quick as possible. That way I'm not stuck replaying the same mission or quest of whatever for a week and then totally forget the significance of the story. Then, if I feel like its worth replaying I'll play it again on hard or whatever's above that. Usually the only games I ever play for that would be FPS or multi-ending adventure games. I've never been one to care about gamerscore or PSN trophies for passing on the highest difficulty  because there's always gonna be someone better than you anyway. :shrug:

I will mention that I was able to pass some CoD games on veteran going 4 or 5 missions without a death though.
:heytherebadboy:

--------------------

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #19945106 - 05/05/14 04:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Illyabo said:
I play the game the way it's to be enjoyed, usually vetern, people that play normal piss me off sometimes it's like if you can't challenge yourself to play the game then why waste your time playing it

I take games as entertainment and not a "challenge". A challenge is changing a trait of your personality or achieving something in the physical world. Perhaps you are taking games too seriously?

--------------------

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19946768 - 05/05/14 10:12 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
Well Dark souls series is definitely one of the most challenging gameplays there is. However it is also fair and the game rips on you for making mistakes which is how gaming should be IMO, fair but challenging.

dark souls has some bullshit difficulty built in.
Having to transport back to majula to level up is literally the stupidest shit ever.

As a whole though i love the dark souls series. It gives me nostalgia of the days where it actually took skill to beat games.
I still can’t beat fucking Ornstein and Smog. I have no idea how that boss battle is beatable as a low vitality strength player, without summoning someone to help.

DS2 seems a lot easier

then i joined the champions covenant.....
:lolsy:

fuck that

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Difficulty Discussion... DarkSouls fans get in here! [Re: elax420]
    #19947098 - 05/05/14 11:18 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

With O&S you have to straight up focus on one. I focus on dodging and baiting Smough to attack me and get a few hits in and back the fuck off. It is definitely one of the most challenging boss fights in all of the series - Smogs brute strength and Orns speed is just a nasty ass fucking combo.

I find dealing with Super Ornstein is easier than super smough... just me though.

I don't disagree with you, the gameplay can be ridiculous at times in just sheer difficulty. But I have done things in 1 try which sometimes it took me so many tries. I feel like if you do things perfect you can pretty much beat anything. Patience is key.

But yeah, fuck the champion covenant. I was in that shit until Lost Bastille in my first play through and couldn't figure out why I couldn't summon and why shit was aggressive/hard as fuck.

The game is hard enough as it is :lol:

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19947156 - 05/05/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Lol i made my friend who is pretty shitty at DS as is join champions covenant without telling him what it was and it took him like a week to get past the giant :rofl:

OfflineKonyap

#19947381 - 05/06/14 12:00 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i'm doing a run right now and what i did was go down to the heides area then there's a boss there that if you time this jump to the center of the ring he'll lunge right the fuck off lol get like 15 levels at once and have the ability to use the bigger weapons

In DS1 with o&s you just have to make sure you have your fastest walk and you can roll

if you are bogged down by armor there is no way in hell you are beating them

and super smough is easy to dodge but when his hammer crashes down theres a larger hit box around it, I thought he was  easier then super O honestly

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #19948079 - 05/06/14 03:39 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineAD420
Male User Gallery

Loc: MEXXX
    #19948083 - 05/06/14 03:42 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I cant kill the stray demon please help me beat that fucker!!

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19948357 - 05/06/14 07:07 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
http://kotaku.com/why-the-hell-do-we-keep-playing-difficult-video-games-1572252868

:rofl:

Yeah I don't get frustrated playing video games. I like the challenge of dark souls.

I would rather play a game with a learning curve to become good than to play a simple hack and slash where you don't even have to pay attention to stay alive. Mindless fodder of entertainment, if you ask me. Might as well go watch a movie.

Its funny, I don't get mad when I die, I just laugh and realize it was either:

a. lag
b. I fucked up
c. I got ganked and had no chance of winning anyway
d. I just got raped (see b)

Overcoming a challenge is a lot more fun than beating an entire game without having to really re-try things, particularly boss fights.

Invisibleelax420
Anal Destroyer
 User Gallery

#19951627 - 05/06/14 09:53 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

One of my friends loves playing a heavy armor slow roll character, i don’t get it personally but he beat the game and i didn’t...

Im going to start up a dark mage character tomorrow. I just found out Magic makes DS infinitely easier.

:burke: at the guy in the article. "the last 120 hours of my gaming life had been spent with video games that made me feel the following emotions: frustration, anger, impotence, fear, rage, disappointment.” what a nutter. Never once has a video game made me feel impotent...

OfflineKonyap

#19951924 - 05/06/14 10:49 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

at one point in the game after say anor there's a knight that is in the original cell and if you beat him you get to go to a bonus area, and i use that place to grind the fuck out with pyromancy spells, get a level every 5 minutes maybe

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale