Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Screw 4K displays!
    #19896330 - 04/25/14 12:14 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Screw 4K displays! [Re: Shroomism]
    #19896664 - 04/25/14 02:16 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

yah i've been busting a nut over that LG display for awhile now, would be a really nice trade off for me having two 2560x1440p screens, i'd probably rather have one of those with almost the real estate but no bezel....

however, for you as a gaming enthusiast, asus has a 1440p 144hz 1ms g-sync panel, but it's TN..... they claim it's a top notch TN panel though that is more vibrant and better view angles or what not than the rest :shrug: dunno

http://rog.asus.com/296652014/news/rog-announces-the-pg278q-swift-27-inch-wqhd-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

l]

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Screw 4K displays! [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #19896852 - 04/25/14 04:55 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

!@#$#%^$ Senate, buy me one sugar daddy!

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

InvisibleLordSenate Happy Birthday!
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
Re: Screw 4K displays! [Re: mndfreeze]
    #19898608 - 04/25/14 01:49 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck, I had a wet dream thinking of these fuckers.. But yeah, I looked at the price and was like....whyyyyy :facepalm:

Split 4 screens on 1 screen though... :yesnod:

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Screw 4K displays! [Re: LordSenate]
    #19898626 - 04/25/14 01:54 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

holy jeebus 1500 for that... I'll pass lol

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Screw 4K displays! [Re: Uzziel]
    #19898643 - 04/25/14 01:58 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I love tech and everything but for a monitor? No thanks. I have two 27" acers, and my TV, running all three.. and I don't use my monitors anymore. So getting a new one, especially for 1500$ is not in my near future. But still my love for shiny new toys is pulling at my pants legs.. saying buy me buy me.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19898688 - 04/25/14 02:08 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Shiot, all the new monitor tech always start out at thousands of dollars. Give it a year to mature, prices will drop.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19898760 - 04/25/14 02:22 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I have $2k into displays, two 27" 2560x1440p Dell U2713H IPS displays....worth every penny for me, but I spend a lot of time looking at them for work. :shrug:

I have more trouble getting excited about dropping $1k on a graphics card, I just don't game enough at this point to justify it.... and the games I have gotten obsessively were blizzard games that run like butter on my GTX 670 & GTX 680 rigs....  But all the same I'd still love a Titan....

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19898784 - 04/25/14 02:27 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah but a new line of graphics cards are coming out sometime soon. How soon, I dont know. but shroomism mentioned it so I'm waiting for that. I have a 680 TI and I run 3 monitors and all games at ultra with all three running, one being a 70" tv screen so not in a hurry to upgrade but will when the new line comes out and is price appropriate. I game a lot though, no work at all. But not just Blizzard games, Elder Scrolls online, Skyrim, and many many others run just fine, perfect even.

Sounds like some nice displays, but yeah I don't work, just game and use my TV for all my gaming needs. Including MMO's because sitting at a desk destroys my back, literally.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19898785 - 04/25/14 02:27 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Shiot, all the new monitor tech always start out at thousands of dollars. Give it a year to mature, prices will drop.

Yah but there are gonna be a lot of crap panels on the market so you gotta be careful and pay attention to the specs...  Make sure for example that the monitor has Multi-Stream Transport and can support 60hz over DP 1.2...

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19898791 - 04/25/14 02:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

What is multi stream support? I'm lazy and don't want to google right now lol

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19898814 - 04/25/14 02:32 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
Yeah but a new line of graphics cards are coming out sometime soon. How soon, I dont know. but shroomism mentioned it so I'm waiting for that. I have a 680 TI and I run 3 monitors and all games at ultra with all three running, one being a 70" tv screen so not in a hurry to upgrade but will when the new line comes out and is price appropriate. I game a lot though, no work at all.

Sounds like some nice displays, but yeah I don't work, just game and use my TV for all my gaming needs. Including MMO's because sitting at a desk destroys my back, literally.

.... I've never heard of a 680ti, don't believe they exist... I got a 680 though.....

Anyways, ya... all the games I run hold 60fps at 1080p on Ultra but not always at 1440p....so that's another thing for sure, push more pixels and you need more power..... there's a compelling argument to just get really good 1080p displays for gaming for best performance per the buck...  I may try 680 SLI though if I can come across a good price on a second used one on craigslist... dunno

it's also worth mentioning running 3 displays is not taxing.... it's only if you're spanning your game over all three of those displays... that's gonna take a chunk out of the FPS in your games... try it out sometime for fun....

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/25/14 02:40 PM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19898852 - 04/25/14 02:38 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
What is multi stream support? I'm lazy and don't want to google right now lol

well, i have it on my dell u2713h displays and it allows you to daisychain two monitors over displayport... it's real handy for laptops that may only have one displayport output....

however, w/ 4k displays to get 60hz refresh it's a bit of a hack, it uses the same multistream transport tech to act basically as if it's stitching two displays together, the 4k panel appears to the graphics card as two separate 1920x2160 displays.... and that helps it run at higher refresh.... that's about all i recall, can churn up the anandtech article

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/25/14 02:49 PM)

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19898890 - 04/25/14 02:45 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Is the displayport the one that isn't the HDMI, DVI ports on my GFX card? I never could figure out what it was lol

Also 680ti was a typo. 660ti, sorry.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19898946 - 04/25/14 02:54 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

yep, nvidia kepler cards come w/ 1 displayport, thinking most of the amd cards come with a couple mini displayports... my bet is w/ the 800 series we'll see different outputs.... maybe 2 mini displayports on nvidia cards... to accomodate 4k displays.... we'll see

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19898966 - 04/25/14 02:58 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting. I'll have to look into this. When I get a bigger desk, I will run multiple monitors for gaming. If I play at my desk too, I can use elder scrolls for multiple displays which would be pretty cool to check out. But yeah for now, my TV is fine.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19900020 - 04/25/14 06:57 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Titan Z will be released very soon.
That will be a dual GPU Titan on steroids basically, beastmode. It will dominate for a while...
That will probably be the best gaming GPU on the planet for a year or so. 5K monitors? No problem with 12GB of VRAM.. 5,760 CUDA cores

Then I suspect we will see 800 series release in Fall. Who knows what will come of that.
I suppose it depends what you are looking for.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19900101 - 04/25/14 07:20 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

God damn. Talk about some quality expensive gear! Pretty cool though, If I had tons of money to blow, I'd definitely invest in one of those bad boys.

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19900109 - 04/25/14 07:24 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Rumor on the page is around 3k. If its anywhere near that amount. I'm not that fucking serious. 1k or so roughly.

Someone mentioned that the Titan Black Edition is a respectable choice for anyone who is genuinely interested in the performance of Nvidia's dual GPU cards or SLI.

But I don't know shit about SLI or if it would be better to wait for the other line to be released.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19900263 - 04/25/14 08:01 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if you're not willing to drop money on 1440p or a 4k/60hz display, there's really no point in going that much higher than a single 780 or 880 or what have you... my 680 fucks single 1080p gaming up in ultra, holding 60fps w/ vsync in all the higher end games i've personally played.... but if you decide to span the game across multiple 1080p monitors or use higher end displays then you'll want more power.

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19900507 - 04/25/14 09:02 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah but shroomism keeps drilling on the extra vram... So, I dunno. I could run two 780 or 880 in sli later maybe? i dont know im in no rush

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19900660 - 04/25/14 09:32 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

mmm, greater than 2gb vram is especially important for those higher res screens and spanned displays imho, but i have maxed out my v-ram in bioshock infinite at 2560x1440p ultra on a single 1440p display (i use my other panel for browsing, never spanning) i don't notice major bottlenecking when it does, i suspect it drops older texture caches it hasn't seen in awhile and keeps things fluid, but it uses every last drop i got so more couldn't hurt...

meanwhile The Witcher 2's most demanding sequence (which is ironically the tutorial in the entire fuckin' game) can drop to the lowest frames and is only using 1.2gb vram at 1440p ultra....  but it maxes GPU Load to 100%, seems like it would heavily take advantage of more raw power like even an SLI 680 2gb setup.....

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/25/14 09:37 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19900665 - 04/25/14 09:33 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not really drilling on it.. just saying more for future-proofing. But like CJ said, if you aren't pushing 1440p / 4k / 5k  displays.. then there's really no need for anything like a Titan. Currently, you will only ever really need or be able to use more than 3-4GB VRAM if you are running like 3D surround (games spanned across 3 displays) on those higher resolution monitors. If you are doing 1080p, a high end card like a 770 4GB or 780Ti would shit all over pretty much any game.

The number one selling point of the Titan is its 6GB of VRAM, and that's ONLY really useful for super high resolutions / 3D surround,
In the future, that may change. Maybe games / monitor setups 2 years from now will be pushing 4-6GB of VRAM on average, who knows. But as it currently is, most modern games will only use about 1.5-2GB, it's when you start pushing higher resolutions and higher settings in some games it really eats it up.

So yeah, Titan if you have the bleeding edge, latest and greatest hardware and have money pouring out of your eyeballs.
Or if you are a normal person and just want a badass card like said above any flagship 770/780Ti/880 whatever will still destroy games

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19900673 - 04/25/14 09:35 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

So what would you suggest for around 800$.. 1k$ at the most, but 800$ or so would be good. Something I could do SLI possibly but maybe I could get the next line later on when it comes down in price and pass this off to a friend or something.

Alright yeah, I just use my 1080p screen right now and I said two monitors like I said.. But should I be alright getting one of those now and then upgrading to one with more VRAM for when displays have more resolution (big screen tvs not just monitors) and not SUPER EXPENSIVE TVS either.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19900721 - 04/25/14 09:45 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Pretty much, there will always be something better coming out next month.. you just have to decide when it's worth it to upgrade.
Right now at the 800-1k mark, you could get a 780Ti (700) and then maybe add a second one in SLI later on when you can find them cheaper.. but honestly SLI is probably not even needed. (overkill).
Or you could get a Titan Black (1k) and then not have to ever worry about possible VRAM issues if you somewhere along the way decide to go crazy on some monitors or something. Future-proofing.

Unless you really think you are going to do something like 1440p /4K and other crazy monitors in 3D surround, or anything crazy like that (you would be spending a shitload on monitors), then you would be perfectly content with a 780Ti for quite a while.

It doesn't matter if you are just doing multiple displays at high resolutions, I'm talking about "surround gaming" where the game plays across all three monitors.. it requires all 3 monitors to be identical.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19900740 - 04/25/14 09:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

well, i frankly don't know because you've decided to wait for the 800 series and they haven't landed yet...

if I was going to drop $1k on GPU(s) at this moment in time my personal pick would go to a pair of 4gb 780s...... is really fuckin excessive for your 1080p hdtv's needs though, one should be fine.

(or what shroomism beat me to saying cuz i was pouring a glass of whiskey and coke :lol:)

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19900752 - 04/25/14 09:51 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I doubt I will ever do surround gaming. The titan blacks i saw were like 1.5k though. But the 700ish card doesnt sound bad.

Cosmic,  I was just waiting as a suggestion from Shroomism as it might be better for me to upgrade then. But I can see that a lot of the tech now is more than adequate for my needs. So I will grab probably a 780 or something 800$ or so roughly.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19900768 - 04/25/14 09:55 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

If you don't want to worry about VRAM, do what he said and get a 780 4GB.
Yeah you'll lose a tiny bit of GPU performance with the 780 vs the 780Ti, but 4GB of VRAM will give you more headroom
Or we just announced a 780 6GB, at 570.. if you want to wait until it releases which is a couple days I think - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-3785-KR

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19900775 - 04/25/14 09:55 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

fwiw tom's hardware says best graphics cards for the money for $800+ is a gtx 690, even to this day april '14....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-6.html

no way in fuck i'd do that, i'd sooner have dual 780s..... but tomshardware judges by single card solutions......... and a 790 hasn't been released....

i don't particularly believe in single card dual gpu solutions, just seems twice as likely to fail, if it were up to me i'd rather rma one and game on the other until it was replaced... just seems logical

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19900790 - 04/25/14 09:58 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed. I'd always go with 2x single GPUs in SLI over a dual GPU card.

Just on the basis of Dual GPU on same card = double the potential failure rate. At least with SLI if one card fails you have a backup.

Yeah 690 is the highest performing single card (aside from the just released R9 295x2 which is soon to the be dwarfed by Titan Z) ..
But two 780Tis or 780s in SLI will outperform a 690

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19900799 - 04/25/14 09:59 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
Yeah, I doubt I will ever do surround gaming. The titan blacks i saw were like 1.5k though. But the 700ish card doesnt sound bad.

Cosmic,  I was just waiting as a suggestion from Shroomism as it might be better for me to upgrade then. But I can see that a lot of the tech now is more than adequate for my needs. So I will grab probably a 780 or something 800$ or so roughly.

lmao, then reply to him as opposed to me :stoned:

it's always better to upgrade later... i know this from buying macs and other expensive gear, there's always buyer's remorse when buying sooner for pleasure... if you're buying for work, then there's no question, you just need it when you need it

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19900980 - 04/25/14 10:27 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i have a good vibe about the 800 series

aside from a highly probable higher base level of vram, it's a new microarchitecture.....

the 700 series was more upclocked kepler....

and 800 series is maxwell.... and gpu competition is just way more volatile than cpu competition from intel/amd at this point....

so in all good theory it's gonna be fucking awesome

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19901224 - 04/25/14 11:13 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
If you don't want to worry about VRAM, do what he said and get a 780 4GB.
Yeah you'll lose a tiny bit of GPU performance with the 780 vs the 780Ti, but 4GB of VRAM will give you more headroom
Or we just announced a 780 6GB, at 570.. if you want to wait until it releases which is a couple days I think - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-3785-KR

bam yeah, thats waht i want right there, perfect for me. I don't get paid until the 1st anyway and even then may not be able to buy it until June. But if I can.. the 1st fuck yeah.. just gotta get this PSU in .

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19901317 - 04/25/14 11:38 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

while i don't think it will get you the best performance now (as opposed to even a 3gb 780ti) it's not a bad idea, since you could run 780 6gb sli setup down the road and probably stay in that 1k max budget once prices dropped.... and an sli of that would be dope at any resolution for years to come in my estimation

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19901427 - 04/26/14 12:18 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed! Shit I'm rocking a 660 and I'll probably be content for a while :lol:

And yeah Maxwell should be a major step up... 700 series was a kinda meh bump from 600 series. Also Maxwell is finally good for mining.. a little late to that party though :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom