Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleGilgamesh18
Herbivore Man

Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls
    #19882965 - 04/22/14 12:49 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

As Colorado's free-for-all marijuana experiment becomes increasingly embarrassing, the state's House of Representatives voted unanimously Monday on two bills that may give some protection to children and adults who are consuming massive levels of marijuana by mistake.

Parents have forever caught children with their hands in cookie jars, or stealing candy from dresser drawers and creative hiding places. Kids seem to possess a genetic predisposition for finding forbidden sweets. Until Colorado legalized dope, the biggest concern was a sugar high.

Today, emergency rooms are treating children - even toddlers - showing up stoned because they've found candy that's laced with marijuana. All varieties of pot-induced snacks - including soft drinks that look like soda - are for sale at recreational pot stores. Few parents adequately secure these snacks. Furthermore, children often visit homes of friends and relatives who haven't locked up the edible ganja.

The stoned-children dilemma has led to national headlines such as this, from USA Today: "Colo. kids getting into parents' pot-laced goodies." What a stupid-looking image for a state that was long considered enlightened.

Even adults are getting into trouble with pot snacks. Levels of THC, the active drug in marijuana, vary greatly by treat. Some standard-sized brownies are designed as four servings or more. When ill-informed users eat the entire snack, they can end up intoxicated beyond anything desired or anticipated. Some hallucinate and lose sense of what's real.

Nineteen-year-old Levy Thamba ate an entire marijuana cookie, intended as several servings, on March 11. After it kicked in, he fell to his death from a Denver hotel balcony. The autopsy listed "marijuana intoxication" as a factor contributing to his death.

A Denver man suspected of killing his wife last week had spent $32.70 on Karma Kandy Orange Ginger - pot-induced candy - and one pre-rolled joint. Before Kristine Kirk died, she called 911 to report that her husband, Richard Kirk, was hallucinating after he had "taken some marijuana."

On the 911 recording, Kristine Kirk tells the operator her husband was talking about the end of the world and asking her to shoot him. Toward the end of the call, the woman sounded panicked and said her husband was taking a firearm from a safe. The dispatcher heard a gunshot seconds later, and the call went silent. The woman died from a gunshot to her head and police say Richard Kirk admitted in the patrol car to shooting her.

To be fair, alcohol also causes people to do stupid things that kill and marijuana rarely results in violence. But alcohol is more understood by society than drug-laced food. Alcohol doesn't appear to a child as well-known candy. We are seeing significant problems resulting from easy access to pot.

One of the bills passed Monday directs the Department of Revenue to determine how much concentrated THC - such as the hash oil used in many edibles - equals an ounce of leafy pot. One ounce is the legal limit for marijuana leaves and buds.

Another bill passed Monday would ban edibles that mimic other foods and candies, which legislators hope will reduce mishaps with kids.

Easter Sunday's public pot extravaganza in Denver, and recent deaths linked to marijuana, are confirming some of our worst reservations about recreational pot. Common-sense regulations from the Legislature may be a good start. But Coloradans need to take a hard, sober look at what we've done by passing Amendment 64.

http://gazette.com/editorial-stoned-toddlers-pot-mayhem-are-colorados-wake-up-calls/article/1518668

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 1
    #19882984 - 04/22/14 12:54 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I think the solution is somewhat simple.

Limiting the amount of edibles purchasable per person per day.

This would take care of atleast some of it.

Quote:

But alcohol is more understood by society than drug-laced food. Alcohol doesn't appear to a child as well-known candy.

Ignorant statement.

For getting too high the amounts of thc per food should be done more precisely per serving for average humans, there is most likely barely any measurements going in, I've seen edibles made before and probably couldn't tell you the thc percent content from snack to snack and it probably varies by a lot with the current way.

Then you need to inform people how much to use for beginners once you have that figured out.

I drank alcohol at 6 years old and faced real death. Atleast entering a sleep state isn't going to be life threatening of the same degree, very, very far from it.

Also, gays may not be understood but does that mean they can't get married because you don't want to take ten minutes to talk to your fucking kids?

I've seen parents talk to tier kids at a young age and never wanted to even try marijuana even though the parents smoked it.

When my sister makes alcohol candy she tells her son, this is for adults you can't have this, he listens. Why be so scared to talk abouta  plant?

--------------------
If you are interested in 600 watt leds with 10watts per bulb $115 shipped pm me. 2x for $220.

Brand new from factory; mostly red/flowering spectrum lights.

Invisiblenatzyshroomer
Star gazer

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: ledgrower]
    #19883100 - 04/22/14 01:24 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well until we get consistent thc % tests then honestly we are chasing our own tail around in circles

--------------------
All submitted posts are by Someone Who Isn't Me and in any event are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: natzyshroomer]
    #19883115 - 04/22/14 01:29 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Safety is number one priority

Quote:

Alcohol doesn't appear to a child as well-known candy.

No, people will talk about alcohol with their kids, and need to break that same barrier for marijuana.

Imagine throwing around edibles ranging from parrot bay to moonshine and having absolutely no measurements.

--------------------
If you are interested in 600 watt leds with 10watts per bulb $115 shipped pm me. 2x for $220.

Edited by ledgrower (04/22/14 01:37 PM)

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #19883183 - 04/22/14 01:44 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

the backlash has already begun...i told you this would happen many times...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Annapurna1] * 1
    #19883202 - 04/22/14 01:49 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Annapurna1 said:
the backlash has already begun...i told you this would happen many times...

What backlash? People trying to turn things into what they are not?

People have died in every single way possible on alcohol
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=drunk+man+dies

There's one falling out a window in the first page of results.

Sometimes it seems like if I smoked weed and someone shot me in the head, weed would end up as the cause of my death not the bullet. If you try hard enough you can manage to twist it.

--------------------

Edited by ledgrower (04/22/14 01:58 PM)

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Gilgamesh18] * 4
    #19883241 - 04/22/14 01:56 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Wow, the anti-weed propaganda is in full force. "THINK OF THE TODDLERS"

God damnit. :facepalm:

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Uzziel]
    #19883252 - 04/22/14 01:58 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You don't want it to happen to begin with but if you absolutely had to choose one type of edible being consumed you have to choose marijuana; alcohol can and will kill if over consumed.

So if an incident does happen to happen, atleast it wasn't alcohol which it very easily as well of could of been.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: ledgrower] * 1
    #19883279 - 04/22/14 02:04 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

If parents were responsible to begin with, they would make sure anything drug related is outside of their child's reach. I fucking hate hearing about OH GOD THE TODDLERS SNEAK INTO PARENTS STASH.

Like fuck, it's the few fucking morons who don't know how to take care of a kid make headline news and ruin it for everyone and the feds say "LOOK, WE CAN JUSTIFY THIS!"

Fuck! I hate this nonsense

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

#19883295 - 04/22/14 02:07 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well I honestly think communication is key.

When really really young just keep it out of reach once they get to about middle school it's time to have the talks about alcohol and marijuana. I've seen one set of parents go younger than middleschool I believe since they would smoke in the house out of a pipe.

She understood they smoked a plant. Similar to a cigarette, and she had no thoughts of wanting to try it. Very successful from my experience with more than one set of parents not theory.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19883310 - 04/22/14 02:10 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It is the key. But all these fuckwits think "Just say no" is the answer. We all know how well that works. Like who are you kidding, feds?

You keep your stash locked up: Get a lock combo and make sure you know the combo and throw away the key. If your drugs are locked up, there is no way they can get into it.

It is incredibly easy to be responsible, but even easier to be a total irresponsible cunt.

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

#19883316 - 04/22/14 02:11 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I added more to my last statement, I've actually witnessed more than one set of parents talking to kids about alcohol and marijuana and it being successful.

My sister being the one who makes alcohol jello shots and gummy bears and stuff, talked to her kid and he listened.

Both my sisters as a matter of fact are and were big on alcohol (both bartenders at some points in times) and talked to their kids and they listened. Same with me listening to my dad at a younger age.

--------------------

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

#19883359 - 04/22/14 02:19 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

With alcohol edibles there is no locking it in a safe there is keeping it in the fridge right in their face.

Tell me how one is manageable and the other lesser of two evils is not?

What about alcohol powder? That will also be big with candy too probably.

The backlash I see is making millions of dollars for the state. Which isn't really that big of a backlash. Getting too fucked up is also partially split between two people the people who made the edible for not giving solid information about the product, thc percentage, and dosage for a beginner.

Then the consumer for intaking too much of the product given to him, he also has a responsibility, you start off small with anything and work your way up.

Put the same irresponsible person on alcohol he dies of overdose or does the same stupid thing he did on marijuana but even worse and sealed his deaths fate from it being worse.

If you were dealing with an irresponsible person it is much better for them to be irresponsible with marijuana instead of alcohol. Not only for their own safety but every single person around them. Drinking and driving is an irresponsibility.

I would rather someone be high and drive me somewhere than drunk, that way we don't crash.

People can get in crashes sober. So to link any and every marijuana related incident as the cause of the incident would be untrue, it does not even really disorient the more advanced users of it.

On a scale of one to ten danger behind the wheel :
Marijuana - 3
Alchohol - 10 (if more than just intoxicated then over nine thousand)

--------------------

Edited by ledgrower (04/22/14 02:44 PM)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#19883516 - 04/22/14 02:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
Wow, the anti-weed propaganda is in full force. "THINK OF THE TODDLERS"

God damnit. :facepalm:

Seriously, journalism at its finest

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #19883546 - 04/22/14 03:05 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

These are growing pains for a fledgling industry. There will have to be some sort of child constraints on any edible candies ...this should have been thought through ahead of time.
A toddler will most likely spit out a sip of alcohol or a cigarette but a chocolate?? no way! A kid will eat as much as he can. I see childproof containers in the future... same as pharma industry. I really don't know why they didn't have the foresight in the first place.  Putting candy in pretty, shiny wrappers and soda in regular looking soda cans ain't gonna cut it.

If I were in the legal pot business ...bet your bottom dollar I would be already researching childproof packaging safeguards.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #19883558 - 04/22/14 03:08 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:whathesaid: You can practically see the propaganda dripping from this bullshit soaked article. Right from the first sentence I knew I was going to be in for a bias treat "As Colorado's free-for-all marijuana experiment becomes increasingly embarrassing"
:rofl2:

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Offlineweshroom
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: musiclover420]
    #19883618 - 04/22/14 03:23 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
:whathesaid: You can practically see the propaganda dripping from this bullshit soaked article. Right from the first sentence I knew I was going to be in for a bias treat "As Colorado's free-for-all marijuana experiment becomes increasingly embarrassing"
:rofl2:

Ya, not to neutral there haha....

Hopefully this is just a wave of propaganda that will pass and simmer down. I havent seen anything big on CNN or w.e. yet.

Invisibleledgrower
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #19883665 - 04/22/14 03:35 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

baltimark said:
A toddler will most likely spit out a sip of alcohol or a cigarette but a chocolate?? no way!

If a toddler gets the marijuana edible or alcohol edible in his mouth to begin with you failed.

Spitting it out or not.

Really though how the fuck are we still selling tylenol and shit with people like this?

--------------------

OfflineSeriously_trippin
Cosmic Guru Ganesh
Male User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Gilgamesh18]
    #19883695 - 04/22/14 03:48 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

God fuck the media

--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

OfflineMajoses
Homo sapiens sapiens
 User Gallery

Re: Stoned toddlers, pot mayhem are Colorado's wake-up calls [Re: Seriously_trippin] * 1
    #19883728 - 04/22/14 03:56 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

"pot-induced candy":huxleyfacepalm:

--------------------
:lsdabc: :feelsgoodman:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale