Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

Loc: Northern KY
First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed
    #19880034 - 04/21/14 08:28 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys! I'm in need of some feedback and suggestions, pretty please.  This is my third try; lost first two attemps of with PF cakes to contams. Switched to WBS and SUCCESS! Fully colonized in 13 days (Mexican Albinos). YAY! I cased with a with 70/30 verm/coir recipe with calcium carbonate and gypsum added.

Fast forward: everythig was going well I introduced my tray into my FC 4 days ago and I now have concerns. Temps are staying at 75-77 degrees and 90-95% humidity (or so the hydrometer says). I have a monotub with about 3 in. of perlite on the bottom and tons of holes on all 6 sides. Anyway, the next day after introducing into the FC I started seeing some spikey/rhizo (maybe?) mycelium poking around and it has been growing longer. I assume ariel myc? I started misting lightly on day 2 because the casing was looking a tad dry. Well, today it I noticed patches of bluish/green (more blue really) on the casing. I'm not sure if this is bruising or trich is showing up. I have been fanning every few hours or so around 4-6 times a day and misting a few times a day. Also 12 hours of florescent light a day. It also seems like now my casing is drying out by the hour even after misting.

Does this look like bruising? What should I do to combat this drying out? How does the progress look? Any knots forming yet? I've spent all day scrolling through posts some calm my nervous and some just made me panic! This girl is a nervous wreck! I've been at this for 4 months and I was finally getting somewhere, I would hate to lose at this stage! Any suggestion and feedback would be fantastic! Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: alynne]
    #19880828 - 04/21/14 10:51 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

i don't see any knotting or bruising, almost looks like you got some bacteria there, but just keep your eye on it for now and wait for more opinions

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineQuexl
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: cronicr]
    #19881045 - 04/21/14 11:33 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Looks a bit globby / bacterial up close to me too, but it also looks close to putting out pins. I'm not sure what that is (its not trich), but it does look like it could be a bruised dry spot.

--------------------
grain spawn bacteria info

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

Loc: slightly elevated from ea...
Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: Quexl]
    #19881082 - 04/21/14 11:41 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Looks bruised to me and like you need to fan more. Holes all over isn't = to 2 inches apart on all six sides and you really should have 4-5 inches of perlite in my opinion and it needs to be elevated if it isn't.
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: Happy Littletree]
    #19881941 - 04/22/14 06:49 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback guys!Really hoping this pulls through at least for one flush. Here's a pic of the tub: It's elevated about 2 feet above the ground. I also included a pic of the bruising spot from just now. It's slightly a darker blue. Is there any benefit of taking the lid off the tub a couple hours a day, or crack it at least? Should I add more perlite to the tub as well?

OfflineQuexl
Male

#19882281 - 04/22/14 09:33 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

The holes on your tub are too small and should be 2" apart. Look at that link Happy Littletree left and it'll have everything you need to know about building one. Only take off the lid for when you have to mist it and then fan out the air inside it. With other FCs it doesn't matter so much, but with the SGFC you have to stick with the specs really closely. At this stage if it were mine I'd be misting/fanning often to induce pinning. Mist until it looks a little dewy, then fan the air out and close it up again.
If the spot is growing I'd call it suspect, but until it starts to do something really horrible like change color or smell bad there's not much you can do about it besides worry. So don't. :smile:

--------------------

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19882331 - 04/22/14 09:51 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

alynne said:
Thanks for the feedback guys!Really hoping this pulls through at least for one flush. Here's a pic of the tub: It's elevated about 2 feet above the ground. I also included a pic of the bruising spot from just now. It's slightly a darker blue. Is there any benefit of taking the lid off the tub a couple hours a day, or crack it at least? Should I add more perlite to the tub as well?

you can take the lid off no problem, just mist as neeeded, i've fruited subs in complete open air

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: cronicr]
    #19882583 - 04/22/14 10:58 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks guys! I'm gonna add some bigger holes to it and another inch or two of perlite as well. I'm misting until dewy now (then fanning) and giving it some time with the lid partially off too. I just bought some peat moss so I'm gonna give that a go with some verm instead of the 70/30 verm/coir casing layer. I have 4 new jars ready to case! Hope to post some positive progress with this stubborn tray soon!

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

#19886866 - 04/23/14 08:23 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, so my casing is still dry, my poor mycelium is bruised pretty bad from misting so much and drying out. The tray is a pretty solid cake, would dunking this cake or even filling the tray with water, give it enough moisture to hopefully flush? I know it's only been 6 days in the FC, but as dry and bruised as this cake is, I'm not sure it will ever progress. I've read about people dunking cakes after a flush to re-hydrate, but it is possible to do before a flush even happens? I'm just trying to figure out how to make this a success.....

OfflineQuexl
Male

#19886896 - 04/23/14 08:37 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It sounds like maybe the chamber isn't elevated or there's no holes in the bottom of it? Sorry, I'm not sure about the dunking part. I used to dunk straight popcorn for about 20 minutes between flushes w/o a problem, but never before the first like that.

--------------------

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: Quexl]
    #19887014 - 04/23/14 09:29 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You can dunk it for like 4 hours but if you don't put back in a properly built FC it's probably not gonna help.

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: Happy Littletree]
    #19887035 - 04/23/14 09:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It's elevated over 2 feet, I corrected the perlite. Holes on all 6 sides closer than 2 inches apart, but not quite 1/4" in size. I have been cracking the lid, the humidity and temp are staying stable. Should I add bigger holes or just build a new tub?

Edited by alynne (04/23/14 09:35 AM)

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

#19889183 - 04/23/14 06:13 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I'd give em a few days to try and recover but you should probably still make one that's right. I would if possible mist like 2-3 times a day but fan about 5.. at least till you see if it's gonna do okay.

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

#19902531 - 04/26/14 10:05 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

UPDATE: I soaked the tray in cold water for 3-4 hours on Wednesday and drained well. My casing did crack in a couple spots,and it got even more bruising. It bummed me out, but I decided not to give up! I started noticing some fresh myc growth Thursday and even some fading of the bruising in the worst spots. I upped my misting and fanning as well and yesterday I noticed about 5-6 little pins! Today, I have even more pins! The few from yesterday are even a tad bit bigger! Hopefully, this turns into success!

OfflineTheApprentice
back at it
Male User Gallery

#19902678 - 04/26/14 10:44 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds awesome. Post pics

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: TheApprentice]
    #19902834 - 04/26/14 11:24 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup::smile:

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

#19905158 - 04/26/14 10:42 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Still quite a bit of bruising, but it is really improving all the time! Here are my babies; more and more popping up by the hour!:heart::grin:

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

#19905289 - 04/26/14 11:25 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

That's what we like to see!:raisemyglass:

OfflineTheApprentice
back at it
Male User Gallery

#19905993 - 04/27/14 05:07 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Looking good girlfriend!

Rated!:zaphod:

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

Offlinealynne
Stranger
Female

Re: First grow: casing layer/FC worries....Feedback needed [Re: TheApprentice]
    #19906270 - 04/27/14 08:15 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys! You have been GREAT! I'll post more pics soon! :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale