Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSygyzy
Stranger
 User Gallery
BRF cakes question. pint jars.
    #19868167 - 04/18/14 10:11 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys, I'm fairly new here.I've been lingering around the foRums for awhile now but just recently decided to make an account.
Introduction: I followed a PF tek to every detail with my bfr cakes. Vermiculite based jars.
Though, I doubled the recipe to pint sized jars rather than half pint.
I even was more sterile than the tek required.
Basically I inoculated my jars around march 27th. It's now april 18th. Avg 1cc per jar. Instead of 4 holes, I used 2. Better safe than sorry I read.
Mycelium has grown around the jars almost completely now, except for the bottem half, that is for my high expectation jars(75-90% colonization). Some jars are as low as 50-60% colonization, which happens to be the jars I'm mainly concerned about.
They've been trying to cover the bottrm of the jars for about 4-7 days now. I know it can take up to 30 days for full colonization, though I have noticed slower and slower growth.
My tank is Kept around 78-80.2 degrees Fahrenheit.
I'm using P.Cubensis.

This is my main question:
Can I turn the jars upside down for better exchange? Or would some of the moisture reach the dry vermiculite and cause contamination?
Should I knock the bottom of the jars causing the cake to slide providing room for the mycelium?
Have any tips?
If some of my cakes don't fully colonize, Yet if they are above 80% colonization could I still cold shock them to fruit? Remember, these are pint sized jars.

[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/14-16/788026293-1397880102027

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejpack666
 User Gallery

Re: BRF cakes question. pint jars. [Re: Sygyzy]
    #19868312 - 04/18/14 10:39 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I don't do cakes, but I can tell you that while you wait for a cake lover to answer your very precise questions, rule of thumb, if it's slow for now don't touch them, if it starts stalling, now you want to do something, the tek is basically to birth and remove the excess sub and cover with saran wrap and let consolidate then dunk, something like that, but I'd rather someone else confirm.

Good luck and patience

--------------------
"There's a negative and a positive to everything."  :mushroom2:

For more information, RogerRabbit's Website/Videos

OfflineOgreLokon
Pretty Fun Guy
Male

#19868325 - 04/18/14 10:42 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Sygyzy said:
Hey guys, I'm fairly new here.I've been lingering around the foRums for awhile now but just recently decided to make an account.
Introduction: I followed a PF tek to every detail with my bfr cakes. Vermiculite based jars.
Though, I doubled the recipe to pint sized jars rather than half pint.
I even was more sterile than the tek required.
Basically I inoculated my jars around march 27th. It's now april 18th. Avg 1cc per jar. Instead of 4 holes, I used 2. Better safe than sorry I read.
Mycelium has grown around the jars almost completely now, except for the bottem half, that is for my high expectation jars(75-90% colonization). Some jars are as low as 50-60% colonization, which happens to be the jars I'm mainly concerned about.
They've been trying to cover the bottrm of the jars for about 4-7 days now. I know it can take up to 30 days for full colonization, though I have noticed slower and slower growth.
My tank is Kept around 78-80.2 degrees Fahrenheit.
I'm using P.Cubensis.

This is my main question:
Can I turn the jars upside down for better exchange? Or would some of the moisture reach the dry vermiculite and cause contamination?
Should I knock the bottom of the jars causing the cake to slide providing room for the mycelium?
Have any tips?
If some of my cakes don't fully colonize, Yet if they are above 80% colonization could I still cold shock them to fruit? Remember, these are pint sized jars.

[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/14-16/788026293-1397880102027

1. If you turn them upside down, LEAVE THEM that way. Invitro pinning and contams are likely if you re-flip.

2. Don't hit your jars. The air sucked in by sliding the cakes will do the same as re-flipping jars.

3. Cubes are tropical, so cold shocking wouldn't be necessary. You'd just remove as much of the uncolonized as you can before dunking and rolling.

Keep in mind that the jars you are using aren't going to colonize as fast as the 1/2 pt jars. My first grow used pint jars with 2 holes, and they took almost 2 months. Just be patient, and stop looking at or messing with them for a couple weeks.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BRF cakes question. pint jars. [Re: OgreLokon]
    #19868360 - 04/18/14 10:52 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

first link in my signature basically everything I've read from the first two posts is wrong

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

Re: BRF cakes question. pint jars. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19868462 - 04/18/14 11:19 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Welcome!

I'm afraid you might not see these jars fully colonize. The tek calls for widemouth half-pints for a reason -- they're the right size and shape to make cakes of decent volume without getting so big or oblong that moisture balance and gas exchange are compromised. With fewer inoculation points, your mycelium has an even bigger challenge on its hands.

One piece of advice that I can't stress enough: Follow the tek exactly. You say you followed PF tek "to every detail," but then you say you used different jars. And modified the sterile technique. And changed the number of inoculation holes. And it sounds like maybe you're keeping them in a heated chamber?

For your first grow, you'll do much better if you don't deviate from the tek. Like bodhisatta recommends, read the first link in his signature. Or stick to RogerRabbit's tek. Or Shea25's.

Don't get discouraged. All of us, when we began, thought we could do at least a little better than the tek. Almost all of us were wrong. When you first start out, you don't know enough about the fungus to know whether a change will be helpful or harmful. Keep at it -- follow the tek precisely and then you'll have a successful grow that will teach you a lot about how these mushrooms grow.

Good luck!

OfflineSygyzy
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: BRF cakes question. pint jars. [Re: toxetel]
    #19869880 - 04/19/14 09:41 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

The teks I read said it was also appropriate to use pint sized. It even told me to use two holes, though I think it might have be referring to the half pints. Yes, tek said just to double my recipe. As for the sterile techniques, I just let my OCD take over. I dint modify any techs for sterility. I only was above and beyond.
You really think they will halt?
Even still, could I use the mycelium that's in the jars to produce fruit bodies?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19869911 - 04/19/14 09:54 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

if the TEK says pint jars are fine it's a bullshit TEK.

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

#19871424 - 04/19/14 04:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Can you post a link to the tek you used? It's important to use a well-proven tek.

It's possible your jars will fully colonize, but it's unlikely. Sorry.

There isn't a good way to use a partially-colonized cake, unfortunately. Sorry.

This isn't a total loss, though -- you're learning! Now your second grow attempt will be much better than your first.

I understand what you mean when you say you were more sterile than the tek called for, and I believe that you believe that. In reality, though, many beginners use nonstandard sterile technique because they think it will be "more sterile," not realizing that their modifications actually might compromise sterility.

If you tell us what you did differently with respect to sterile technique, we can tell you whether it'd be a good idea to do it the second time around.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19871861 - 04/19/14 07:17 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I understand what you mean when you say you were more sterile than the tek called for, and I believe that you believe that. In reality, though, many beginners use nonstandard sterile technique because they think it will be "more sterile," not realizing that their modifications actually might compromise sterility.

:whathesaid:

like spraying 3 cans of lysol in a bathroom to do sterile work :lol:

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

Re: BRF cakes question. pint jars. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19872614 - 04/20/14 06:49 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Yep, as just one example. Or working in the air in front of an "air purifier". Or gluing gloves to the holes of a still-air box. Or wiping sterilized needles with alcohol. To a newcomer, all those things could easily seem like they'd make sense.

Invisiblejpack666
 User Gallery

#19873522 - 04/20/14 11:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

toxetel said:
Yep, as just one example. Or working in the air in front of an "air purifier". Or gluing gloves to the holes of a still-air box. Or wiping sterilized needles with alcohol. To a newcomer, all those things could easily seem like they'd make sense.

Yup, but the tecks are so old it's as if the videos were shot before the invention if youtube lol

There is a youtube tutorial on how to birth a cake. And in the video, so funny, you see him go "ahhhhhhhh feck......... Dam i never used these jars before, this is not working lol"

--------------------
"There's a negative and a positive to everything."  :mushroom2:

For more information, RogerRabbit's Website/Videos

Edited by jpack666 (04/20/14 11:43 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order