Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! * 1
    #19861610 - 04/17/14 07:00 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

So this is a family recipe I've modified a bit.  It's honestly one of the best sauces I've ever tasted.  I frequent a lot of fancy Italian restaurants and only one place had a sauce that I considered better than mine.  I love Italian food!!  Lasagna, mostaccioli, homemade meatballs, bruschetta, alfredo etc.  I love it all.

So my recipe is basic.  It's all in the way you cook it and when you add the ingredients.  Nothing super fancy or difficult, try it out and let me know what you think!!

What you'll need

1lb of itallian sausage
3lb (less would work fine) of ground beef
2 cans of tomato paste, 2 jars of sauce, 1 can of sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatoes
Spices- 1 large fresh onion, Garlic, Onion powder, Italian seasoning, fresh ground pepper, fennel, paprika, red pepper, a pinch of beef bullion powder(a cube would work as well), Parmesan cheese, olive oil, sugar and most importantly Baking soda

I have no exact amount for most of these spices, just a few good shakes of each.  Really you need to taste to know what you need more of.

-So first you dice your onion and add it to the meat you're browning

-Drain all the fat from the meat

-Add a little bit of olive oil and add all the spices excluding the sugar, Parmesan and baking soda to the meat.  Mix it all up

-Then add all of the sauce, paste, and diced tomatoes

-Simmer for a while.

-Then add a table spoon or two of sugar and a heaping table spoon of baking soda.  The sugar is great for taste as well as to balance out the acidity.  The baking soda does the same, with out it your sauce would be way too acidic and tart.  When you add the baking soda to the sauce, everything changes color and bubbles up like a witches brew temporarily.  My favorite part.:cool:

-After that stir in your Parmesan, as much or as little as you like.

-Let everything simmer for a couple hours stirring frequently.

All that's left is to cook your noodles, any kind you like.  I personally prefer rotini or penne pasta.  I also like mostaccioli but they have to have those little lines in them (they hug the sauce better imo) 

Hope you enjoyed.  Any questions ask me, thanks for reading

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebrianstequila
Sir John Falstaff
Male

Re: Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #19861859 - 04/17/14 07:43 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I always hated giving people recipes because they ask how much of something and all I can think is enough is good. I always go by feel and taste.:thumbup:

--------------------
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson

Not My trade list i aint got shit anymore
:drunkdriver:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19161913:drunkdriver:

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! [Re: brianstequila]
    #19861876 - 04/17/14 07:48 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

That olive oil you have is probably mostly fake. It would pay to spend a bit more and get something with more/better flavor.

Then again, one probably can't taste much of it beneath all the tomatoes.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! [Re: brianstequila]
    #19862003 - 04/17/14 08:11 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

brianstequila said:
I always hated giving people recipes because they ask how much of something and all I can think is enough is good. I always go by feel and taste.:thumbup:

Hell yeah!  I've heard experienced chefs say that a real cook can taste something and tell what it needs opposed to following a recipe exactly.  I can honestly say I've probably never followed a recipe exactly.  Now if youre baking on the other hand, you do need to follow the recipe exactly, I hate baking :tongue:

Quote:

Me_Roy said:
That olive oil you have is probably mostly fake. It would pay to spend a bit more and get something with more/better flavor.

Then again, one probably can't taste much of it beneath all the tomatoes.

I've never used the pricey stuff before, maybe I'll try it out sometime.  I just put the olive oil in because I needed a little bit of fat/oil after draining everything from the meat.  Figured olive oil would be a healthier option.  I prefer using quality Parmesan if I got it over the cheap kraft stuff.  Quality ingredients for the win

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #19862673 - 04/17/14 10:09 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/24/opinion/food-chains-extra-virgin-suicide.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/2013/08/trader-joes-extravirgins-and-floozies

http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/2012/09/toms-supermarket-picks-quality-oils-good-prices

No need to spend a lot.
This is what I get when there's a Trader Joe's in the area:
California Estate Olive Oil

500 ml for $5.99

Aroma:  very full ripe fruit

Flavor:  typical of well-made arbequina: gentle, balanced, sweetish in a good way, quite spicy finish

Label:  identifies the olive cultivar (arbequina), which is important information.  "Lively olive flavor, mild peppery finish" (I agree with the latter, at least).  But no BBD visible on the bottle, which is a big demerit, especially since this oil, like most arbequinas, will probably deteriorate fast.

I like it.

Thanks for the sauce recipe. I'd never heard of adding baking soda before. Explains why my previous attempts had an acidity no amount of sugar could cut.

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! [Re: Me_Roy]
    #19864881 - 04/18/14 10:53 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/

This is another good, inexpensive option. Taste it next to the Kroger stuff you have and you'll see what you've been missing.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

#19865790 - 04/18/14 02:08 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Thanks for the sauce recipe. I'd never heard of adding baking soda before. Explains why my previous attempts had an acidity no amount of sugar could cut.

A tip I got from an old dago, wont make sauce without it.

You've convinced me, I'll have to check out some better quality stuff.  What can I say, you can tell by the kroger brand that Im a super cheap shopper. But 500 ml for $5.99 doesn't sound bad.

I have another dish where olive oil is sort of the star and Im sure a quality oil would make a big difference. 

It's like a broiled grecian style chicken breast served with thick spaghetti noodles, broccoli and topped with fresh parmesan.  The sauce that saturates the dish consists of a bit of butter, some lemon juice, a little broth, and a lot of olive oil.  I always wondered why it was better at my favorite restaurant than when I made it at home.  It was like something was missing.  I'm sure the restaurant uses quality oo.

OfflineLordHuron
Browncoat
Male

#19954277 - 05/07/14 02:09 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

instead 2 jars and a can of tomato sauce (why 2 jars and a can?? lol) try getting jarred passata. It will give the sauce a cleaner flavour. The recipe on the whole though seems pretty solid as a bolognese style sauce. props from a professional cook

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! [Re: LordHuron]
    #19954911 - 05/07/14 05:00 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

instead 2 jars and a can of tomato sauce (why 2 jars and a can?? lol)

Why?  Because that's the way mamma made it damn it!  But really it's just a cost thing.  Using the jars would be better, the cans have way more acidity to them which you have to balance out later.
Quote:

try getting jarred passata

Just learned something new, never heard of the stuff before.  Is it pricey?

Quote:

The recipe on the whole though seems pretty solid as a bolognese style sauce. props from a professional cook

Thanks, that means a lot.  Actually aspiring to be a pro cook someday.

Edit- I forgot to mention in the recipe.  I use a little bit of water to thin the sauce out a bit if it needs it.

Edited by Mush 4 Brains (05/07/14 06:41 PM)

InvisibleEdibleStereos
Healthy Body, Sick Mind
 User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
    #19957787 - 05/08/14 07:00 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

You arent making your own sauce if you start with jarred sauce.

A good red sauce has maybe 5 ingredients minus s&p.

Like someone said, buy jars of san marzano tomato paste. Best for red sauces.

OfflineLordHuron
Browncoat
Male

#19957864 - 05/08/14 07:37 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Passata is essentially just pureed tomato, usually san marzano or roma style tomatoes and then is strained to get the seeds out. I think at the grocery store near my place (and I live in northern ontario so the selection isnt great let me tell you) the passata is usually about 2-4$ and the jars are usually around 900ml

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #19958098 - 05/08/14 09:25 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LordHuron said:
Passata is essentially just pureed tomato, usually san marzano or roma style tomatoes and then is strained to get the seeds out. I think at the grocery store near my place (and I live in northern ontario so the selection isnt great let me tell you) the passata is usually about 2-4$ and the jars are usually around 900ml

Isn't it passed through a fine wire sieve?

OfflineLordHuron
Browncoat
Male

#19958141 - 05/08/14 09:39 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

I am unsure exactly I just know that it says strained on the jars and that it usually has a nice balanced flavour of sweet and acidic

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
    #19958198 - 05/08/14 09:53 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LordHuron said:
I am unsure exactly I just know that it says strained on the jars and that it usually has a nice balanced flavour of sweet and acidic

Sorry, I misread your post. It already had all the info that I thought I was adding to the conversation.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Re: Super easy, super delicious pasta sauce recipe!!! [Re: EdibleStereos] * 1
    #19961903 - 05/09/14 01:04 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EdibleStereos said:
You arent making your own sauce if you start with jarred sauce.

A good red sauce has maybe 5 ingredients minus s&p.

Like someone said, buy jars of san marzano tomato paste. Best for red sauces.

I am making my own sauce, don't really understand how you could argue that I'm not :shrug:  You can get retardedly anal and go as far to say that youre not actually making your own sauce if youre not starting from tomatoes.   

Pretend that I didn't use jars of sauce and used whatever which would constitute "real sauce" in your mind, the recipe still stands on it's own.  A basic can of sauce doesnt have hardly jack in it as far as seasoning, and I've plenty of times omitted the jarred stuff.  The sauce was just as good.  I like to use the jars mostly for a more appealing texture/viscosity and not as much for taste reasons.  Though the jars do have a more balanced acidity level.  I have no particular brand of jarred sauce I use, it hardly matters ime.  Most jars of sauce are relatively bland and would be quite disappointing on their own. 

And eating pasta sauce without meat is just meh imo.  Even when I'm making meatballs, I still want meat in my sauce.  That's the nice thing about cooking, you're not locked in to things.  You can do whatever you want.  I wasn't striving for approval from an Italian chef as to what is in fact authentic.  Think of an authentic pizza for example and an americanized pizza.  Both are completely different, both good.  There is no right and wrong way, only what tastes good and what doesn't.

But thanks for shitting on my recipe and dismissing it as "not really making sauce".:thumbup:  I mean it's one thing if you don't think it would be your kind of thing, (or even if you down right hated it, which i can respect) but to dismiss the recipe as me not really making sauce is just insulting.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds