Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: Interesting view on vegetarianism... [Re: sillysyban]
    #19858636 - 04/17/14 04:49 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Samurai Drifter said:
Quote:

Diploid said:
Small animals have only the rights they can eke out in the face of large predators. Large predators have only the rights they can eke out in the face of even larger predators. It sucks. I don't like it. But that's how it is. Again, bitch at god for setting up this game if it will make you feel better.

You might say that it's the right of a human with a gun to rob the humans without a gun. Bitch at whoever invented gods, not the robber for using the gun, right?

Quote:

I would complain loudly and fight back. That's what separates humans from animals. It's what gives humans rights, but not animals. If animals were smart enough to complain, then you might have a point. But they're not.

What about people who aren't smart enough or otherwise able to complain? How about killing pre-linquistic toddlers for meat? Especially the deaf, dumb, or blind ones. They'd just be a drain on society anyway, so it would be far more efficient to turn them into meat.

Quote:

And again, I don't like to see animals suffer, but animals slaughtered quickly are a non-issue. Nothing is lost. No life plans are destroyed. No children are orphaned. No tax revenue is lost. No job goes untended. Animals don't have these anthropic constructs that render human life worth preserving and animal life only worth protecting from suffering to the extent practical. Animals don't even fear death, man. They just live and die, period.

I'd agree that non-human animals slaughtered quickly do not present as much of an ethical problem, but their quality of life is still horrible. They may not be equivalent to human lives, but they're certainly worth more consideration than inanimate objects, which is how they're treated in factory farms.

Quote:

Stop comparing that to a human life. They are not equivalent.

Again, non-human animals may not be worthy of all the same ethical concerns one applies to humans, but they're certainly worthy of some. After all, our limbic system is the source of our most intense emotions, and it's also the one we share with most other animals, indicating their ability to suffer basics such as fear, pain, and suffering are comparable.

Quote:

Jezus this is a dumb thread.

I don't get how this thread is dumb. This is one of the most important debates in modern ethics, IMO. The vast majority of society behaves like petulant children when someone points out the indefensibility of a practice condoned by most of the status quo and this thread is no exception. It makes an interesting sociological study to see what justifications people will pull out for the infliction of unnecessary suffering on other sentient creatures.

Solid post brother!!
Quote:

sillysyban said:
Like it or not. People will always eat meat. The numbers and percentages vary from place to place and time to time but it will always happen. What's worse for the environment and the earth than meat is the chemicals used in modern farming to grow grains and vegetables. They are truly fucking the planet along with GMO's

Lets not get started on GMO's... I have a diploma in horticulture, I could rant allllll day about GMO's and how bad of an idea they are.

--------------------
Youve Met With A Terrible Fate, Havent You?

Click here to enter this weeks Ban Lottery!!
In Crust We Trust

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSun King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Interesting view on vegetarianism... [Re: Zombi3]
    #19858764 - 04/17/14 06:28 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

A squirrel died from chewing on power lines, using electricity is like raping squirrels.

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Bella Ciao!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: Interesting view on vegetarianism... [Re: Sun King]
    #19858873 - 04/17/14 07:41 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Sun King said:
A squirrel died from chewing on power lines, using electricity is like raping squirrels.

This thread is getting slightly off the main point but this made me laugh quite a bit! Not at the dead squirrels but you know...

--------------------
Youve Met With A Terrible Fate, Havent You?

Click here to enter this weeks Ban Lottery!!
In Crust We Trust

OfflineTheGreenArrow
Goodbye, Mr. Chops.
Male User Gallery

Re: Interesting view on vegetarianism... [Re: Zombi3]
    #19860337 - 04/17/14 02:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Look all I can say is what makes animals or humans so special?  How does having a central nervous system necessarilly indicate consciousness? 
I gotta go with Diploid on this one.  Life takes life. :blewmeanie:

--------------------
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.- Robert A. Heinlein
Saint RedBow of the Shroomey Loomey-Patron Saint of Sandbaggin Sumbitchs

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies