Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: want to build a gaming pc.. need help [Re: Shroomism]
    #19835899 - 04/13/14 01:27 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
4k is so last month lol, Nvidia is talking about 5k http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/25/nvidia-announces-5k-ready-geforce-gtx-titan-z

But yeah 800 series specs are already being speculated and rumored on - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/rumor-nvidia-gtx-880-specs,26519.html#xtor=RSS-998

seems like I had read that the 800 series card would come w/ an arm cpu to offload certain gpu tasks likely related to physics :lol:  blah, who knows...

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/13/14 01:41 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: want to build a gaming pc.. need help [Re: LordSenate]
    #19835924 - 04/13/14 01:39 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
Man, if I'm going to read a book.. I'll buy it lol, or get a tablet or something. I'm not going to read on my TV, that would defeat the whole purpose of reading entirely. I like paperback books when I do read anyways, to get away from the technology.

The only thing I read on my screen now is the forums which I have zoomed in so I can see the letters fairly well and online games where I also have chat size increased.

Hopefully I don't ruin my vision in the future by doing things this way.  :sad:

books are my livelihood as a librarian.... i've read no less than three printed books a week for the last 20 years of my life... i don't actually read on tablet, the backlight is terrible for your eyes, and e-ink is far superior for completing an e-book start to finish.... that said, i constantly reference e-books on backlit computers/tablets and read substantial amounts of text on white backgrounds and have had tons of experience with displays from glossy, glossy with tempered glass, matte displays with light antiglare and heavy antiglare coatings, low res displays, hidpi displays, anything and everything in between, as well as tn panels, ips panels, pls panels....

as far as 70" hdtvs go, i'd play a game like devil may cry on one and that's about it...  an rpg w/ heavy text that i planned to play daily endlessly like an mmo, no way..... perhaps i'm just picky about this shit... if you're happy i'm happy :shrug:

you won't ruin your vision before you feel yourself carrying stress in your eyes heh, if it doesn't bother you don't worry about it

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19835942 - 04/13/14 01:45 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
Interesting... an adjustable table for a gaming laptop, that may become an option in the future. lol

wooooo all this talk of new graphics cards has me giddy.

tantalizing? :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #19835951 - 04/13/14 01:49 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
What are your guys opinions on gaming glasses? I have a pair but I'm not entirely sure how they work.

You mean Gunnar glasses?

They work. Quite well.
I've borrowed my friend's for a couple days, and I noticed severely less eye strain then I usually get after long periods of gaming.

I'd get some myself but I for some reason can't justify spending $60 on some glasses.. I tried to win some in a contest lol.
although I probably should with the amount of time I spend on the PC and my vision is already bad.

They help greatly reduce the eye strain you get, especially noticeable after extremely long gaming sessions or being at the PC for a long time

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19836027 - 04/13/14 02:18 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

there's something to be said for just getting the right monitor to begin with imho, tempered glass is horrible w/ reflections, but that heavy, waxy antiglare gives sparkly diamonds on white backgrounds and strains the fuck out of your eyes too.... glossy w/o tempered glass is okay in ideal lighting, but for everything else am big fan of IPS w/ very light antiglare coating,  and then just getting your brightness and contrast right, which makes a big difference for me... also pixels per inch makes a big difference for me, i prefer 1080p at like 21" max, 1440p at 27" etc..... YMMV....
i prefer to wear glasses to correct my vision though, so gunnar glasses aren't a viable option for me

i only bring this up cuz i've been following the TESO thread and in my estimation it just seems like playing an MMO on a 70" 1080p screen all day seems....pretty bad for your eyes :shrug:

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/13/14 02:39 AM)

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: want to build a gaming pc.. need help [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #19836138 - 04/13/14 03:25 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
Quote:

LordSenate said:
Interesting... an adjustable table for a gaming laptop, that may become an option in the future. lol

wooooo all this talk of new graphics cards has me giddy.

tantalizing? :lol:

Yes, especially if the chick comes with it. :laugh:

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #19836172 - 04/13/14 03:58 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:
there's something to be said for just getting the right monitor to begin with imho, tempered glass is horrible w/ reflections, but that heavy, waxy antiglare gives sparkly diamonds on white backgrounds and strains the fuck out of your eyes too.... glossy w/o tempered glass is okay in ideal lighting, but for everything else am big fan of IPS w/ very light antiglare coating,  and then just getting your brightness and contrast right, which makes a big difference for me... also pixels per inch makes a big difference for me, i prefer 1080p at like 21" max, 1440p at 27" etc..... YMMV....
i prefer to wear glasses to correct my vision though, so gunnar glasses aren't a viable option for me

i only bring this up cuz i've been following the TESO thread and in my estimation it just seems like playing an MMO on a 70" 1080p screen all day seems....pretty bad for your eyes :shrug:

I've been eyeballing these glasses now that someone posted the website for em, and they do come with prescription options, just costs a lot more as expected.  219 is the starting price for gunnar glasses with your script.  I just got new glasses anyway and got transitions lenses and some other features that I think already so some of the stuff these gunnar ones do, but obviously they dont do EVERYTHING the gunnars do, like filter out certain blue wavelengths to filter out that horrible flourocent office lighting.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

InvisibleLordSenate Happy Birthday!
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
    #19836213 - 04/13/14 04:27 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicJoke said:

I don't see how it could be that bad for the eyes honestly.. Most of the time, I'm playing the game, as if I was playing a console game or watching TV even.  Sometimes i chat but the text is so large, it doesn't strain my eyes to see it. Maybe someone else can chime in on how it specifically could be bad but the game runs entirely just as if I was playing on a console. It being a bigger screen means I don't have to strain as much to see things as well. I'm not an eye doctor obviously so I'm not the best judge in this. But my eyes really don't feel that strained at all. And I can see the text and especially the game play perfectly well. I do have gunnar glass that I am going to test out to see if it makes any marketble difference but we'll see.

I just feel that you are overextending the damage that would be done.. and like I said, I very well could be wrong. But I've never had any problem with my eyesight, particularly now. Do you have vision problems now as is? and this just exacberates it? Because I honestly don't feel any strain or see any reasoning in what you're saying at all.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19837367 - 04/13/14 12:01 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:

I don't see how it could be that bad for the eyes honestly.. Most of the time, I'm playing the game, as if I was playing a console game or watching TV even.  Sometimes i chat but the text is so large, it doesn't strain my eyes to see it. Maybe someone else can chime in on how it specifically could be bad but the game runs entirely just as if I was playing on a console. It being a bigger screen means I don't have to strain as much to see things as well. I'm not an eye doctor obviously so I'm not the best judge in this. But my eyes really don't feel that strained at all. And I can see the text and especially the game play perfectly well. I do have gunnar glass that I am going to test out to see if it makes any marketble difference but we'll see.

I just feel that you are overextending the damage that would be done.. and like I said, I very well could be wrong. But I've never had any problem with my eyesight, particularly now. Do you have vision problems now as is? and this just exacberates it? Because I honestly don't feel any strain or see any reasoning in what you're saying at all.

Lol, no, I don't have any vision conditions that make me unique or special.  I do, however, use computers far more than the average bear, and strangely, I got the impression that you did too.  "According to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, computer vision syndrome affects some 90% of the people who spend three hours or more a day at a computer.[2] Another study in Malaysia was conducted on 795 college students between the ages of 18 and 25. The students experienced headaches along with eyestrain, with 89.9% of the students surveyed feeling any type of symptom of CVS. [3]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_vision_syndrome

It's just the reality of staring at computer screens all fuckin' day :shrug:

There are a handful of reasons using a 70" hdtv as your primary mode of web surfing, and heavily text/user interface based mmorpgs is not the greatest idea.  The number one reason that comes to mind is pixel density... Have you noticed how high resolution displays are all the rage these days,  with phone and tablets quoting their PPIs (pixels per inch) left and right or branding them like apple did w/ "retina"?  There are 4.7" phones now with as many pixels as your television.  The result is razor sharp text that looks every bit as good as printed text in a magazine...  Not the case at all at 70"....

I didn't make any great claims on damage you'd be doing to your eyes, rather that it was pretty bad to be reading on a 1080p 70" tv a whole lot...

Edit: I realize that you must have some serious enough pain condition to prefer doing all computing laying down that eye strain is small potatoes in comparison...... In which case don't worry, be happy...  I suggested a nice 1440p ips display because most computer users in my estimation would bust a nut over one far more than a big tv.....

--------------------

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/13/14 12:37 PM)

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19837535 - 04/13/14 12:32 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I think you misunderstood me.. Basically I'm asking you what extent of damage would be done? Thats the main thing I want to know. When I have my text zoomed in, it is super easy to see.. no strain at all. But I don't know all that pixel density shit, its beyond me.. So Basically what type of damage could be done ? and how extreme? I am taking your suggestion for a gaming laptop platform under advisement for the mean time anyway. Headaches? and Eyestrain? Never really had that before as far as I know.. maybe a tiny eyestrain but mainly after long long hours of gaming and not very often at all.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19837728 - 04/13/14 12:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LordSenate said:
I think you misunderstood me.. Basically I'm asking you what extent of damage would be done? Thats the main thing I want to know. When I have my text zoomed in, it is super easy to see.. no strain at all. But I don't know all that pixel density shit, its beyond me.. So Basically what type of damage could be done ? and how extreme? I am taking your suggestion for a gaming laptop platform under advisement for the mean time anyway. Headaches? and Eyestrain? Never really had that before as far as I know.. maybe a tiny eyestrain but mainly after long long hours of gaming and not very often at all.

Well I don't think it's going to cause you an eye disease if that's what you thought I was implying... if you're not experiencing any symptoms, then there's no problem to my knowledge, but you are something of an anomaly... How many hours a day would you say you're surfing the web, reading forums, blogs, facebook, twitter, w/e.... do you primarily do all that from the TV?

And don't get me wrong, I play some computer games on my TV too...just recent played Strider & Lord of Shadows 2 on TV... But I'm just thinking back to when I raided in a hardcore end game guild in World of Warcraft 5hrs a night 5 days a week a good six years ago... it would not have been a good thing for me to be doing on an HDTV, and it largely has to do with reading text and looking at the user interface... a sharp, high PPI screen calibrated to read on made it bearable I think...

Out of curiosity, do you own a smartphone like the galaxy s4 or htc one or anything competing with the iphone 5s "retina" screen? Do you notice a difference when you look at them compared to your TV?

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19838066 - 04/13/14 01:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I have a galaxy note 2. Don't notice any difference at all.  If I had to guess I would say 20% of the time reading forums but  I have it zoomed in so far that it isn't hard to see.

When I game on ESO.  it  doesn't seem to cause much eye strain.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19838377 - 04/13/14 03:03 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

ahh, like being digitally nearsighted heh, i can't read the fine print on the warranty card sitting on my desk for shit without my glasses but if i hold it up to my face without them it isn't hard to see at all....

your 70" 1920x1080p  TV would be like 30 PPI, a 27" 1920x1080P screen would be 81.59 PPI.....  Now a 2560x1440p 27" screen would be 109 PPI.... my 2880x1800 15" rMBP screen is 220 PPI.....

your galaxy note 2 has a 5.5" 720x1280p screen and is 267 PPI, an Iphone 5s would be like 326, and the latest galaxy s4 a wopping 441 ppi...

your eyes apparently stop telling a difference around 300 ppi...

with your phone you should pretty much be able to be zoomed all the way out and see everything as sharp as printed text (almost, the newer galaxy note 3 would)

anyways, i give up up lol...

--------------------

One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#19838562 - 04/13/14 03:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well, hopefully my eyes don't blow out all of a sudden... I see things fine but all this talk is starting to make me paranoid that I may have shit vision in my future.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #19838589 - 04/13/14 03:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Nah.. I've had shit vision since I was a kid. Just staring at the computer screen for 9000 hours a day can do funny things to your eye muscles. After long periods of reading text, my eyes can get twitchy. Just gotta take breaks. The type of monitor definitely helps though, and those gunnar glasses definitely help, or even something like flux.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #19838913 - 04/13/14 05:02 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I always blow up my font on anything. Just 12 point font to me is too small, I'd rather type stuff in 16...

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: want to build a gaming pc.. need help [Re: Konyap]
    #19840615 - 04/13/14 10:33 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

My guess is it's your screen.....  Do you only read books like The Cat In The Hat?

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #19853833 - 04/16/14 12:52 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss, Shroomism, CookieCrumbs
13,392 topic views. 1 members, 2 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.