Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSynthe
Gatorade me, bitch!
Male

Loc: Three bags of Funyuns Flag
German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws * 2
    #19850607 - 04/15/14 07:06 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Last week, 122 German law professors signed a petition demanding the decriminalization of drugs and the legalization of marijuana. The current anti-drug legislation was written in 1981 and is badly outdated, the professors say—though locking people up for marijuana is no longer a priority for cops, the petition's signatories think that there's still too much time being spent charging drug users with crimes.

To find out exactly what they hope their petition will achieve, I called up the man behind the initiative, Professor Lorenz Böllinger from the University of Bremen.

VICE: What are you aiming to do with this petition?

Lorenz Böllinger: This is an attempt to basically make Parliament function again. Constitutionally, laws must actually be scientifically justified, and they must be checked and updated regurlarly. That is our objective, regardless of whether drugs are dangerous or not. It's more a question of whether criminal law is capable of anything.

How do you mean?
Well, there is no way [US President Richard] Nixon's war on drugs can be won. Drug use goes on regardless of crime enforcement. We have seen all sorts of studies, and the result is always the same: that business cycles of drug use exist entirely independently of statutory provisions.

So you're saying that drugs will always be used.
Drugs have always existed, and the longing for this kind of pleasure will always exist. You can't question or argue with that statement.

Have you ever smoked cannabis?

I'm 68, and have smoked cannabis. I remember the good and bad parts of it very well.

Are you aiming for full legalization?
Yes, but not in a generalized way that will have us all buying drugs at [the supermarket] soon. The idea is to get our point accross on the basis of expertise—with studies on specific regulatory models for each drug. For the least dangerous ones, like cannabis, we would [want to make it essentially legal], perhaps ensuring there were quantity limits or a registration process. When it comes to heroin or crystal meth, we would have to follow a stricter model.

Lorenz Böllinger. Photo courtesy of the University of Bremen

Are you not worried that more people will use drugs?
There is good evidence that this is not the case. In countries like Portugal, Spain, and Belgium this model has existed for ten years. In the Netherlands, cannabis has been freely available for 40 years with excellent results. Consumption hasn't increased—on the contrary, it has slightly decreased.

Your petition has now been signed by over 100 experts. Why did it take so long for anyone to take the initiative like this? 

That's a good question. My thesis is that nobody dares question politicians. At the same time, drug laws present an effective means to maintain certain monitoring and control functions.

Is our society ready for legalization?
We have been brainwashed by the media and politicians for the past 40 years. Individual problem cases are massively blown out of proportion and context. Drug-related deaths, for example—these are always attributed to drugs, when the reason behind them is actually the anti-drug laws. Drug-related deaths are almost in their entirety caused by the unpredictability of the ingredients. If these drugs were prescribed, this wouldn't happen.

I am a professional psychoanalyst too, and have worked with heroin and cannabis addicts, and I can safely say none of their problems come from drugs. These are psychological and social problems that make people dependent.

Have you ever talked to Marlene Mortler, the Drug Commissioner of the Federal Government? 

No, but I have sent her the petition. I don't expect an answer from her.

What would you say to her if you ever met her?
I can only laugh about it, really. She was appointed Drug Commisioner this January but she's really only worked on agriculture and tourism. This is basically a statement on how much the government cares about making reforms in that field. They only want peace on this front.

Can your petition change that?
I believe that it is in our hands to draw attention to the issue. But it will bring nothing, politically. The majority will simply vote against the reforms.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Synthe]
    #19850972 - 04/15/14 08:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:fonz:

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Synthe]
    #19850981 - 04/15/14 08:49 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for posting this! I lived in Germany for 4 years and had a feeling they were gonna make some headway regarding drug law reform. Their innovation with renewable energy has been partially thwarted by the U.N. Going from the U.N.'s response to Uruguay's drug law reform --their response was that Uruguay was going against them -- this news with Germany might put Germany even further onto the UN's bad side.

Go Germany!

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #19851085 - 04/15/14 09:13 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:

this news with Germany might put Germany even further onto the UN's bad side.

Considering Germany's strong economy and the general shit economy of the UN, that's not really a big deal. The UN wouldn't invade or embargo another western European nation, they didn't retaliate against France's falling out and certainly won't do anything to their big brother.

OfflineDocta Greenthumb
The scientifical, mystical one

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Repertoire89]
    #19851107 - 04/15/14 09:18 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I like this guy, I want to save this article, can't wait to see what happens with this

--------------------
Sooner or later the people in this country are gonna realize the government doesn't give a fuck about them! The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare, or your safety. It simply doesn't give a fuck about you! It's interested in it's own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.
-George Carlin

+1 www.shroomery.org/forums/showscores.php +1
                                                +Remember +1 day

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Repertoire89]
    #19851576 - 04/15/14 11:31 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:

this news with Germany might put Germany even further onto the UN's bad side.

Considering Germany's strong economy and the general shit economy of the UN, that's not really a big deal. The UN wouldn't invade or embargo another western European nation, they didn't retaliate against France's falling out and certainly won't do anything to their big brother.

I agree with you and I think it's nothing short of awesome that countries are "rebelling" against the UN in this way. See: Civil disobedience.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

Offlinesiriusmushroom
pilgrim
Male User Gallery

Loc: earth
Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #19852568 - 04/16/14 06:13 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Any link to the article? Would be helpful

found it: http://www.vice.com/read/germany-drugs-laws-petition-criminal-law-professors

Edited by siriusmushroom (04/16/14 06:16 AM)

OfflineMajoses
Homo sapiens sapiens
 User Gallery

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: siriusmushroom]
    #19852583 - 04/16/14 06:25 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Fucking love europe

--------------------
:lsdabc: :feelsgoodman:

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Majoses]
    #19853695 - 04/16/14 12:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I am German and I am well acquainted with German drugs laws and the policy situation in general. What this article says is true, but honestly - noone in the Government gives a shit or even cares to rethink his or her position on drug policy.

What those professors did was a good and valuable step, but a) the media totally distorted what they were trying to achieve (the petition was mainly about reevaluating drug policy in general and not just Cannabis) and b) there was not enough sensible public discussion arising out of this. Even the oppositional parties were not quite understanding what this was supposed to mean and took it as a "legalize Cannabis"-kinda thing, which it really isn't. Moreover, there is not enough willpower within the parliament to let our drug laws get reevaluated from a judicial and scientific perspective. In fact, if one reads the most famous supreme court decision in the light of the evidence we have today, our drug laws are clearly unconstitutional. Still nothing happens.

I personally consider this situation as a primary example of how the system has failed in protecting the constitution. Those professors of law understood that and this was more of an outcry than a sign of any substantial changes in our drug policy. Still, US drug policy sucks even more and you guys also have this racism issue on top of it.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #19854210 - 04/16/14 01:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lord_McLovin said:

I personally consider this situation as a primary example of how the system has failed in protecting the constitution. Those professors of law understood that and this was more of an outcry than a sign of any substantial changes in our drug policy.

Oh yeah, just because someone shows evidence of wrong-doing doesn't mean it will change.

Offlinesuniced
Simpleton

#19854738 - 04/16/14 03:27 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I am a professional psychoanalyst too, and have worked with heroin and cannabis addicts, and I can safely say none of their problems come from drugs. These are psychological and social problems that make people dependent.

amen.

--------------------
Its not the years in your life that count

Its the life in your years.

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Lord_McLovin]
    #19855508 - 04/16/14 05:47 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lord_McLovin said:
I am German and I am well acquainted with German drugs laws and the policy situation in general. What this article says is true, but honestly - noone in the Government gives a shit or even cares to rethink his or her position on drug policy.

What those professors did was a good and valuable step, but a) the media totally distorted what they were trying to achieve (the petition was mainly about reevaluating drug policy in general and not just Cannabis) and b) there was not enough sensible public discussion arising out of this. Even the oppositional parties were not quite understanding what this was supposed to mean and took it as a "legalize Cannabis"-kinda thing, which it really isn't. Moreover, there is not enough willpower within the parliament to let our drug laws get reevaluated from a judicial and scientific perspective. In fact, if one reads the most famous supreme court decision in the light of the evidence we have today, our drug laws are clearly unconstitutional. Still nothing happens.

I personally consider this situation as a primary example of how the system has failed in protecting the constitution. Those professors of law understood that and this was more of an outcry than a sign of any substantial changes in our drug policy. Still, US drug policy sucks even more and you guys also have this racism issue on top of it.

Friggin boner-kill, man! Whoever that was posting penises on the 'brain changes' thread needs to post some more on this one, but of shriveled, limp penises.

--------------------

OfflineLizard Eyes
Lost Soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Right Where I'm supposed ... Flag
    #19858905 - 04/17/14 08:01 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Vice seems to always be reporting from the frontlines of the war on drugs. More and more it seems we might be winning that war. :smile:

--------------------

Every little thing is gonna be alright:heart:  All you need is love :love: Nobody's right, Nobody's wrong, Life's just a game it's just one epic holiday! :peace:

OfflineLord_McLovin
mad scientist on shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: infinite dimensional void
Re: German Law Professors Are Rebelling Against Their Country's Drug Laws [Re: Lizard Eyes]
    #19878303 - 04/21/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I do agree with this statement. The end of the war on drugs is inevitable (it was already when it was started), it's only a question of time and considering what's going on in South America, it looks like the times are on our side.

--------------------
Stand up. You're not alone.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#19880613 - 04/21/14 10:14 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lord_McLovin said:
I do agree with this statement. The end of the war on drugs is inevitable (it was already when it was started), it's only a question of time and considering what's going on in South America, it looks like the times are on our side.

For the more medically applicable and benign drugs, I think the war on drugs is going to end within 20 years. As far as meth and heroin :shrug:
They have medical uses but considering the health risks I don't think they'll be made legal anytime soon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules