Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineJb88
Stranger
STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS
    #19849701 - 04/15/14 04:39 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

NEW YORK (AP) -- A small study of casual marijuana smokers has turned up evidence of changes in the brain, a possible sign of trouble ahead, researchers say.

The young adults who volunteered for the study were not dependent on pot, nor did they show any marijuana-related problems.

"What we think we are seeing here is a very early indication of what becomes a problem later on with prolonged use," things like lack of focus and impaired judgment, said Dr. Hans Breiter, a study author.

Longer-term studies will be needed to see if such brain changes cause any symptoms over time, said Breiter, of the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Massachusetts General Hospital.

Previous studies have shown mixed results in looking for brain changes from marijuana use, perhaps because of differences in the techniques used, he and others noted in Wednesday's issue of the Journal of Neurosciences.

The study is among the first to focus on possible brain effects in recreational pot smokers, said Dr. Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. The federal agency helped pay for the work. She called the work important but preliminary.

The 20 pot users in the study, ages 18 to 25, said they smoked marijuana an average of about four days a week, for an average total of about 11 joints. Half of them smoked fewer than six joints a week. Researchers scanned their brains and compared the results to those of 20 non-users who were matched for age, sex and other traits.

The results showed differences in two brain areas associated with emotion and motivation - the amygdala and the nucleus accumbens. Users showed higher density than non-users, as well as differences in shape of those areas. Both differences were more pronounced in those who reported smoking more marijuana.

Volkow said larger studies are needed to explore whether casual to moderate marijuana use really does cause anatomical brain changes, and if so, whether that leads to any impairment.

The current work doesn't determine whether casual to moderate marijuana use is harmful to the brain, she said.

Murat Yucel of Monash University in Australia, who has studied the brains of marijuana users but didn't participate in the new study, said in an email that the new results suggest "the effects of marijuana can occur much earlier than previously thought." Some of the effect may depend on a person's age when marijuana use starts, he said.

Another brain researcher, Krista Lisdahl of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, said her own work has found similar results. "I think the clear message is we see brain alterations before you develop dependence," she said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_MARIJUANA_BRAIN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-04-15-17-01-20

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Jb88]
    #19849860 - 04/15/14 05:10 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

As long as NIDA is behind the research I wouldn't take it seriously.  They have a strong agenda and have shown that they can't be trusted.

--------------------

Offlinexbloodwhipx

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: fapjack] * 1
    #19849982 - 04/15/14 05:26 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Oh well. Assuming this is a valid study (im sure its not) any changes pot
Causes in your brain are well worth the high

Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: xbloodwhipx]
    #19850048 - 04/15/14 05:34 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

interesting, similar studies have also shown brain changes in habitual users of caffeine and alcohol too.  So what's the fucking point? 

outwardly the obvious changes i've seen in people under the influence of marijuana is that they generally seem happy and relaxed... brain change might be beneficial to society

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: fapjack]
    #19850180 - 04/15/14 05:52 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fapjack said:
As long as NIDA is behind the research I wouldn't take it seriously.  They have a strong agenda and have shown that they can't be trusted.

exactly what I was gonna say. Stopped reading the second I saw that line.

InvisibleSynthe
Gatorade me, bitch!
Male

Loc: Three bags of Funyuns Flag
    #19850210 - 04/15/14 05:56 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

xbloodwhipx said:
Oh well. Assuming this is a valid study (im sure its not) any changes pot
Causes in your brain are well worth the high

It sure doesn't look valid, only 20 users is a remarkably small test group, and their big concern was if it was causing impairment, and I wonder what the scans would've shown if they'd quit for a week. It'd probably be all or mostly back to normal.

--------------------

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Synthe] * 1
    #19850350 - 04/15/14 06:18 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

"The results showed differences in two brain areas associated with emotion and motivation - the amygdala and the nucleus accumbens. Users showed higher density than non-users, as well as differences in shape of those areas. Both differences were more pronounced in those who reported smoking more marijuana."

That totally sounds as if it impaired and caused damage. More dense and pronounced with different shape..... Totally means it is weaker and in worse shape.

InvisibleSynthe
Gatorade me, bitch!
Male

Loc: Three bags of Funyuns Flag
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: tacodude]
    #19850460 - 04/15/14 06:34 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You seem well educated.

--------------------

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Synthe] * 5
    #19850482 - 04/15/14 06:39 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

TL;DR

The region of the brain known as the Awesome Cortex is swelling, causing your Stress glands and your Butthurt cells to shrink.

:bigblunt:

--------------------
:wizard::deemsters:

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: NWlight]
    #19850568 - 04/15/14 06:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

haha, oh I how I wish I still remembered all the brain anatomy and physiology. Used to love learning about psychology

OfflineKingKnowledge
Around
Male

Loc: East Coast
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #19850747 - 04/15/14 07:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Obviously weed affects the nucleus accumbens….along with any drug that activates the reward dopamine pathway from the VTA to the accumbens.

Blah blah blah drugs are bad whatever. Opposing studies come out every day. I find that my perspective on marijuana suits my character more than that of sobriety, and weed also replaces many other drug options for me that are more detrimental to my health (cigarettes, alcohol, etc.)

Invisibleeveryman
The Rza-rector
Male

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: KingKnowledge] * 3
    #19850830 - 04/15/14 08:03 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Study comes out that shows any positive effects of weed,
Shroomery: "see looks, marijuanas cures cancerrrr"

Study comes out that is anti-weed:
Shroomery:  "Not sure how, but I'm sure the study is flawed. Its the governmentss and evil pharmacutical industry tryin to keep us down man."

Confirmation bias at its finest. Don't you think its possible that something may have some positive AND negative effects. Not really commenting on the specific validity of this study or any others, as there have been both fair and biased studies that show positives and negatives of use.

--------------------

Offlineun-known-ome
Stranger

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #19850832 - 04/15/14 08:03 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I believe that marijuana and other psychedelics do change your brain. I'm actually quite positive that they do. I just don't see that as a bad thing. Idk it's just like a thing that happens from taking in a bunch of chemicals...and life goes on. As compared to someone who has never done psychedelics, if you looked at my brain and said "hey some things here potentially look different" I would say "Yeah, duh."

InvisibleBiodiversity
(323)654-6192

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: un-known-ome] * 1
    #19850912 - 04/15/14 08:27 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/04/01/what-eating-too-much-sugar-does-to-your-brain/

Overeating, poor memory formation, learning disorders, depression  – all have been linked in recent research to the over-consumption of sugar. And these linkages point to a problem that is only beginning to be better understood: what our chronic intake of added sugar is doing to our brains.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the average American consumes 156 pounds of added sugar per year. That’s five grocery store shelves loaded with 30 or so one pound bags of sugar each.  If you find that hard to believe, that’s probably because sugar is so ubiquitous in our diets that most of us have no idea how much we’re consuming.  The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) puts the amount at 27.5 teaspoons of sugar a day per capita, which translates to 440 calories  – nearly one quarter of a typical 2000 calorie a day diet.

The key word in all of the stats is “added.”  While a healthy diet would contain a significant amount of naturally occurring sugar (in fruits and grains, for example), the problem is that we’re chronically consuming much more added sugar in processed foods.  That’s an important clarification because our brains need sugar every day to function.  Brain cells require two times the energy needed by all the other cells in the body; roughly 10% of our total daily energy requirements.  This energy is derived from glucose (blood sugar), the gasoline of our brains. Sugar is not the brain’s enemy — added sugar is.

Research indicates that a diet high in added sugar reduces the production of a brain chemical known as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Without BDNF, our brains can’t form new memories and we can’t learn (or remember) much of anything. Levels of BDNF are particularly low in people with an impaired glucose metabolism–diabetics and pre-diabetics–and as the amount of BDNF decreases, sugar metabolism worsens.

In other words, chronically eating added sugar reduces BDNF, and then the lowered levels of the brain chemical begin contributing to insulin resistance, which leads to type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, which eventually leads to a host of other health problems.  Once that happens, your brain and body are in a destructive cycle that’s difficult if not impossible to reverse.

Research has also linked low BDNF levels to depression and dementia. It’s possible that low BDNF may turn out to be the smoking gun in these and other diseases, like Alzheimer’s, that tend to appear in clusters in epidemiological studies.  More research is being conducted on this subject, but what seems clear in any case is that a reduced level of BDNF is bad news for our brains, and chronic sugar consumption is one of the worst inhibitory culprits.

Other studies have focused on sugar’s role in over-eating.  We intuitively know that sugar and obesity are linked, but the exact reason why hasn’t been well understood until recently.  Research has shown that chronic consumption of added sugar dulls the brain’s mechanism for telling you to stop eating.  It does so by reducing activity in the brain’s anorexigenic oxytocin system, which is responsible for throwing up the red “full” flag that prevents you from gorging.  When oxytocin cells in the brain are blunted by over-consumption of sugar, the flag doesn’t work correctly and you start asking for seconds and thirds, and seeking out snacks at midnight.

What these and other studies strongly suggest is that most of us are seriously damaging ourselves with processed foods high in added sugar, and the damage begins with our brains.  Seen in this light, chronic added-sugar consumption  is no less a problem than smoking or alcoholism. And the hard truth is that we may have only begun to see the effects of what the endless sugar avalanche is doing to us.

UPDATE: For more on this topic, click here to watch an excellent piece from 60 Minutes: “Is Sugar Toxic?”

--------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: everyman] * 1
    #19850957 - 04/15/14 08:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

everyman said:

Shroomery:  "Not sure how, but I'm sure the study is flawed. Its the governmentss and evil pharmacutical industry tryin to keep us down man."

Confirmation bias at its finest. Don't you think its possible that something may have some positive AND negative effects. Not really commenting on the specific validity of this study or any others, as there have been both fair and biased studies that show positives and negatives of use.

Sure, we are biased. But if a legit study comes out, one that uses more than TWENTY subjects, and that is conducted by a non-biased organization, then we will accept it. I like to think we are a pretty objective community, at least when it counts.

If you want to talk about bias, talk about the group that funded this little study. A strictly anti drug and probably government based organization

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: everyman] * 2
    #19850984 - 04/15/14 08:49 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

everyman said:

:lol: what you're saying is completely irrelevant to this shit study.

How's this for confirmation bias?

Quote:

everyman said:
Shroomery:

Shroomery: 

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Repertoire89]
    #19850989 - 04/15/14 08:51 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

PENIS

--------------------

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#19850990 - 04/15/14 08:52 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

NWlight said:
PENIS

:penisisevil:

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#19850996 - 04/15/14 08:53 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:casket:

--------------------

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

#19851016 - 04/15/14 08:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:penis: :penis: :penis:

OfflineDocta Greenthumb
The scientifical, mystical one

#19851063 - 04/15/14 09:09 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

"Er mah gerd!! Reefer cauzez long term damagez!!!
We did a short term study with 20 people so now it's proven!!!!"

Willie Nelson is fine

/end study

Edit: I'm not arguing that it doesn't change your brain either, I'm sure it does. I'm just wondering what the fucking difference is, everything you put in your body has an effect on your brain. They really had to do a study to figure that out?

--------------------
Sooner or later the people in this country are gonna realize the government doesn't give a fuck about them! The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare, or your safety. It simply doesn't give a fuck about you! It's interested in it's own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible.
-George Carlin

+1 www.shroomery.org/forums/showscores.php +1
                                                +Remember +1 day

Edited by Docta Greenthumb (04/15/14 09:24 PM)

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Docta Greenthumb] * 1
    #19851136 - 04/15/14 09:26 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

gahhhh the cannabis brain changes make me want to post penisess

:wtfsonic:

--------------------

Offlinexbloodwhipx

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: NWlight] * 5
    #19851146 - 04/15/14 09:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Me was normal den me smoke drugz n brain change. Now me has cannabis brain.
Me retarded now and wish never smoked weed. No do drugz kidds. Pot bad for brain changes :cookiemonster:

OfflineKingKnowledge
Around
Male

Loc: East Coast
    #19851253 - 04/15/14 09:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It's not like I'm denying that weed could possibly have some side effects, but these effects don't have to be detrimental. Everything we do in life is a choice. If we chose to enlarge our amygdala and NA, which isn't directly proven or linked to detrimental side effects as the article states, that is our personal decision facilitated by an underlying desire to perceive our surroundings from a different perspective.

:smile:

Edited by KingKnowledge (04/15/14 09:56 PM)

InvisibleBiodiversity
(323)654-6192

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: KingKnowledge]
    #19851281 - 04/15/14 10:04 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Both caffeine and sugar alter the brain.

--------------------

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: NWlight] * 1
    #19851370 - 04/15/14 10:35 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

NWlight said:

Are you sure that wasn't the shrooms?

Everytime you shroom
:1upshroom:
Gayness

InvisibleNWlight
Just look

#19851380 - 04/15/14 10:37 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:ifyoucanawe:

you might be on to something  :bigweed:

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#19851538 - 04/15/14 11:21 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

everyman said:

Quote:

everyman said:
Shroomery:

Shroomery: 

:lol: I'm assuming you didn't read that last sentence: "Not really commenting on the specific validity of this study or any others, as there have been both fair and biased studies that show positives and negatives of use."

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

My avatar is called "Inner Sanctum" by Luke Brown.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: dwnlw2slw]
    #19851760 - 04/16/14 12:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:
Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

everyman said:

Quote:

everyman said:
Shroomery:

Shroomery: 

:lol: I'm assuming you didn't read that last sentence: "Not really commenting on the specific validity of this study or any others, as there have been both fair and biased studies that show positives and negatives of use."

You're wrong in that assumption, and should feel bad about that as it outlines the bigamous nature of your marriage.

Aside from that, it would be irrelevant if I had overlooked that statement. Almost as irrelevant as his bias against the opinions of people on this forum.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#19851808 - 04/16/14 12:55 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

NWlight said:

Are you sure that wasn't the shrooms?

Everytime you shroom
:1upshroom:
Gayness

Dude, at first I thought the whole "shrooms make you gay" thing was just a meme/joke.

But as time goes on it becomes more and more real to me. I want to interact with penises, but I sure do still love vaginas

Offlinesolomilitia
The offender

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #19851822 - 04/16/14 01:00 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

why not study Willie nelson
that dudes been smoking pot better part of 60 years now

--------------------

NEVER AGAIN UNPUNISHED http://www.wolf-pac.com/

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: solomilitia]
    #19851925 - 04/16/14 01:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Bill Maher would disregard such "study".

Offlinesolomilitia
The offender

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: CLIT]
    #19851928 - 04/16/14 01:36 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

bill needs to smoke more pot

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#19852101 - 04/16/14 02:48 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:
Quote:

Repertoire89 said:
Quote:

everyman said:

Quote:

everyman said:
Shroomery:

Shroomery: 

You're wrong in that assumption, and should feel bad about that as it outlines the bigamous nature of your marriage.

Aside from that, it would be irrelevant if I had overlooked that statement. Almost as irrelevant as his bias against the opinions of people on this forum.

So since you did not overlook that statement, it was actually relevant, which must mean that your seeing something or not is the deciding factor in its relevance. How convenient.
Anyway, his point about how people on this forum tend to be biased with such articles was relevant. As for the statement I wrongly assumed you didn't read, one does not have to comment on the validity of something for that comment to be relevant.

Also, I appreciate that you'd assume so much, but Everyman is the only man for me. (lol, EVERY man is the ONLY man...HAHA)
Please do go ahead and spin phrases again while slyly trying to insult me and my gender preference for disagreeing with you about the relevance of someone's post. You might increase the irrelevance of this conversation to the article if you do though...even more than I just did.

--------------------
"Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music." -Johann Wolfgang Goethe

"Slow is the experience of all deep fountains: long have they to wait until they know what has fallen into their depths." -Nietzsche

InvisiblecArcace-x
YeAh!!
 User Gallery

Loc: The Simulator
    #19852570 - 04/16/14 06:15 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Yup, totally worth the high!!
anyway, weed is probably healthier than pogo and soda....

--------------------

InvisibleThayendanegea
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: everyman]
    #19852695 - 04/16/14 07:35 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

everyman said:

:whathesaid:

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

Invisiblelessismore
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Thayendanegea]
    #19852860 - 04/16/14 08:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Weed affected my motivation and emotions(no emotions) for years after

you only see it after stopping for a few years
but I was a heavy user

it killed my psyche completely too  had to recreate.. no self concept...no time concept
lasts till this day

forgot a lot when I smoked everyday
good I quit

moderation is important, weed is hard to moderate like regular cigs are

dont regret trying weed , but regret every week /everyday smoking quite a bit

Edited by lessismore (04/16/14 08:43 AM)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: lessismore]
    #19853122 - 04/16/14 09:58 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lessismore said:
Weed affected my motivation and emotions(no emotions) for years after

you only see it after stopping for a few years
but I was a heavy user

it killed my psyche completely too  had to recreate.. no self concept...no time concept
lasts till this day

forgot a lot when I smoked everyday
good I quit

moderation is important, weed is hard to moderate like regular cigs are

dont regret trying weed , but regret every week /everyday smoking quite a bit

I think a bigger issue in that regard than the actual drug, is coping mechanisms and psychological addiction. Quitting a long held habit central to one's enjoyment of life can be as disturbing for one's psyche as leaving a cult

OfflineXingu
Stranger
Loc: NC
    #19853215 - 04/16/14 10:24 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

everyman said:

Hence why studies need to be done to identify harm-reduction variables. I'd imagine the balance can easily shift far more in the positive with cannabis than with other substances. Most of the studies I've seen regarding cannabis' negatives have been with developing brains and heavy chronic use. I'd love to see studies control for smoking as an ingestion method, dosage, pesticides used during growing, lifestyle habits, etc.

In regards to brain changes...tons of things cause brain structure change, that's the beauty of neuroplasticity. Higher density in those regions don't really sound exceptionally negative...and it even says that it was inconclusive as far as finding evidence of sustained impairment.

I just feel like all of the debate surrounding marijuana is a little out of perspective given how rampant alcohol/prescription drug use is here.

Weed if anything has made my emotional experience of reality, when sober, more intense. My memory was bad before marijuana, and is bad now, though better than when I drank. I'm more of a conceptual, creative, and mathematically oriented person than memory, and have been since a young age. I've used it as a coping mechanism for depression/chronic pain until I got to understanding more about how my brain works and learned more methods of maintaining a balanced mood without supplement, and have been cutting back almost unconsciously because other elements are effectively substituting that desired mental state.

Motivation I can agree with, but at the same time there's a nice balanced state between unmotivated and socially acceptable workaholic that I feel is more functional in terms of well-being and creative productivity, a state that I feel cannabis in modest use can be a positive influence in maintaining.

Edited by Xingu (04/16/14 10:34 AM)

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
    #19854411 - 04/16/14 02:28 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

everyman said:

Anti-drug studies have a bad reputation because the vast majority of them are rigged.

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Xingu]
    #19854520 - 04/16/14 02:49 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It's probably true. Similar changes have been been observed to result from meditation. I certainly wouldn't consider it brain damage though.

--------------------

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Kizzle]
    #19855081 - 04/16/14 04:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

So does alcohol, every other drug (that includes you TOO big pharma, with yall your mind changing drugs and such, cigarettes, sex, life, these fucking stupid fucked studies. Its sooo pathetic watching the few people clinging on to the delusional drug war and their feeble attempts to feed more lies which everyone can BLATANTLY see.

Fucking DUH. Its something foreign to your body, if their isn't a change, you're not alive, bran

--------------------
:dancingbear:

SonicTitan said:
"Id rail the same amount of come to crack"

https://soundcloud.com/matty_dread

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShrillGoldenChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#19855330 - 04/16/14 05:18 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Xingu said:
I just feel like all of the debate surrounding marijuana is a little out of perspective given how rampant alcohol/prescription drug use is here.

I love your response. This sentence to me is super-poignant, but quite an understatement, wouldn't you say...

People, the inconsistency with how alcohol and prescription pills have been allowed to run with such rampantly destructive freedom and acceptance for all these years and yet Marijuana (and other naturals) is still illegal and looked down on KILLS ME.

They've been on such different legal paradigms for so long that mass public opinion WORLDWIDE perceives big bad spoiled bully alcohol and prescription pills to exist on a different dimension than cannabis!? I realize I'm preaching to the choir on this site, but man! it's just ridiculous how many otherwise intelligent people don't see this.

I was watching a talkshow (go figure) the other day. The theme was 'Marijuana Moms' in CO and it was surely a biased program as the audience pretty much scolded and condemned the two women on stage who ingested (legal) cannabis on a daily basis. "OMG, so you're high around your kids; you're a horrible person!" "You drive high with your kids in the car!?" "Studies show THC will slow your reflexes." "Yeah! So what if your kid falls!?" "You're basically telling your kids that it's ok to smoke pot AND DO DRUGS!" "YEAH!"

Uhm, so when you and you're adult friends are having some adult beverages and your kids are playing, is there a sober sitter at all times? No? You're basically telling your kids it's ok to drink alcohol. What about those prescription pillers suddenly becoming aware at work and not remembering if they dropped their kids off or not? Wait, so you take those pills behind your kids' backs, good integrity example. Nobody once said WHAT ABOUT ALCOHOL AND PRESCRIPTION PILLS during the entire course of the program. Surprising and yet not.

And the DRIVING thing is still controversial mainly because there's not an equivalent of a BAC breathalizer test for mari to see if the driver is currently high. Well, slowed reflexes or not, if you ask your average cop for his honest opinion when his boss isn't around who would he rather have his/her child ride in a care with, a high person or a drunk person? They say neither but if they have to choose one it'd be the high person.

As for brain changes...well, to me that's like asking if cannabis use affects your brain or not. As usual, they're appealing to sensationalist, unscientific, black/white mentality. Of course it affects your brain like EVERYTHING ELSE. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT (and that's not figurative). The question is 'in how far' and 'to what degree' with all the variables (frequency, blood type, etc.) considered.

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: tealeaf]
    #19855346 - 04/16/14 05:22 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tealeaf said:
So does alcohol, every other drug (that includes you TOO big pharma, with yall your mind changing drugs and such, cigarettes, sex, life, these fucking stupid fucked studies. Its sooo pathetic watching the few people clinging on to the delusional drug war and their feeble attempts to feed more lies which everyone can BLATANTLY see.

Fucking DUH. Its something foreign to your body, if their isn't a change, you're not alive, bran

THIS! YES, THANK YOU! You pretty much fit what I was trying to say into 2 or 3 sentences..."Fucking DUH." LMAO, that's EXACTLY how I feel.

--------------------

Offlinexbloodwhipx

#19855406 - 04/16/14 05:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Yes its just absolutely horrible how people look down on weed. :nonono:

If anything they should be doing these studies on ALCOHOL and trying to ban it, while legalizing weed. Alcohol is horrible. Cigarettes also. Yet a little herb is looked at like poison. Makes me fucking sick in the gut.

Offlinesolomilitia
The offender

#19855518 - 04/16/14 05:48 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:
Quote:

Xingu said:

I love your response. This sentence to me is super-poignant, but quite an understatement, wouldn't you say...

People, the inconsistency with how alcohol and prescription pills have been allowed to run with such rampantly destructive freedom and acceptance for all these years and yet Marijuana (and other naturals) is still illegal and looked down on KILLS ME.

They've been on such different legal paradigms for so long that mass public opinion WORLDWIDE perceives big bad spoiled bully alcohol and prescription pills to exist on a different dimension than cannabis!? I realize I'm preaching to the choir on this site, but man! it's just ridiculous how many otherwise intelligent people don't see this.

I was watching a talkshow (go figure) the other day. The theme was 'Marijuana Moms' in CO and it was surely a biased program as the audience pretty much scolded and condemned the two women on stage who ingested (legal) cannabis on a daily basis. "OMG, so you're high around your kids; you're a horrible person!" "You drive high with your kids in the car!?" "Studies show THC will slow your reflexes." "Yeah! So what if your kid falls!?" "You're basically telling your kids that it's ok to smoke pot AND DO DRUGS!" "YEAH!"

Uhm, so when you and you're adult friends are having some adult beverages and your kids are playing, is there a sober sitter at all times? No? You're basically telling your kids it's ok to drink alcohol. What about those prescription pillers suddenly becoming aware at work and not remembering if they dropped their kids off or not? Wait, so you take those pills behind your kids' backs, good integrity example. Nobody once said WHAT ABOUT ALCOHOL AND PRESCRIPTION PILLS during the entire course of the program. Surprising and yet not.

And the DRIVING thing is still controversial mainly because there's not an equivalent of a BAC breathalizer test for mari to see if the driver is currently high. Well, slowed reflexes or not, if you ask your average cop for his honest opinion when his boss isn't around who would he rather have his/her child ride in a care with, a high person or a drunk person? They say neither but if they have to choose one it'd be the high person.

As for brain changes...well, to me that's like asking if cannabis use affects your brain or not. As usual, they're appealing to sensationalist, unscientific, black/white mentality. Of course it affects your brain like EVERYTHING ELSE. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT (and that's not figurative). The question is 'in how far' and 'to what degree' with all the variables (frequency, blood type, etc.) considered.

Well spoken truth !
I wish i could write like you

--------------------

OfflineCLIT
Stranger
    #19857283 - 04/16/14 11:01 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

The U.S. government wants to deal with Cheech and Chong, is why they passed the legalization laws. It's cute in the movies but when you're dealing with potheads in times like these...we shall see. I'm not a pot smoker so I may be biased. I like shrooms though, not to become Cheech or Chong, but to help with my issues.

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: CLIT]
    #19857562 - 04/16/14 11:48 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I think you guys are freaking out over nothing.  "Brain changes." 

You know how many things "change" your brain.  Even video games "changes" your brain, i.e. Better hand-eye coordination.  As far as I know, the article doesn't state of what kind of "changes" are made.  Obviously, any outside influence can and will "change" your brain because your brain is always learning so therefore, it must adapt and "rewire" it's self to accommodate the new/different influence. 

Even you learning something, figuring out it's wrong shortly after and finding the true answer, I'd consider "rewiring" of the brain.  If it could not then you wouldn't be able to learn.

My point is, don't freak..  These "sings of brain changes" could be good.  I think the article is worded in the wrong context though, they could have written it a lot better. 

Even if it "changes" your brain for the worst, who cares.  We're not immortal anyways.

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

Offlineplambe
Trader
 User Gallery

#19857634 - 04/17/14 12:06 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

xbloodwhipx said:
im sure its not

:rofldrunk: yes because you're an authority in the field of neuroscience hahahaha I bet everything I have you can't even understand the original paper let alone proclaim its untrue.

mod edit:  Removed flaming

--------------------
Barbiturate Research Division

Edited by Alan Rockefeller (04/17/14 08:02 PM)

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: tripp23]
    #19858591 - 04/17/14 04:31 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:
My point is, don't freak..  These "sings of brain changes" could be good.  I think the article is worded in the wrong context though, they could have written it a lot better. 

Even if it "changes" your brain for the worst, who cares.  We're not immortal anyways.

Could not have said it better myself. There's no evidence these changes in brain point out damag. Nor does the development seem like damaged development and even actually seems to be  a stronger development than normal from the description of the difference. That's just my opinion though.... I doubt many if any of us can actually identify what the results mean.

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: tacodude]
    #19859121 - 04/17/14 09:37 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

one time i had two marijuanas and it changed my brain:

--------------------

OfflineXTCentral
Sweet Love

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: travelleler]
    #19860566 - 04/17/14 03:40 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The results showed differences in two brain areas associated with emotion and motivation - the amygdala and the nucleus accumbens. Users showed higher density than non-users

Sounds like Marijuana is a nootropic which improves your emotionality and motivation.

Maybe more emotional and motivated people like weed? This is shitty correlational type research but doesn't even have the benefit of using quantitative data.

Edited by XTCentral (04/17/14 03:42 PM)

OfflinePureless
Crushed it

Loc: Blueridge
Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: XTCentral]
    #19860879 - 04/17/14 04:46 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Oh look, another research article giving the morons funding the operation an answer they want!

Offlinexbloodwhipx

Re: STUDY FINDS SIGNS OF BRAIN CHANGES IN POT SMOKERS [Re: Pureless]
    #19860917 - 04/17/14 04:55 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

plambe said:
Quote:

xbloodwhipx said:
im sure its not

:rofldrunk: yes because you're an authority in the field of neuroscience hahahaha I bet everything I have you can't even understand the original paper let alone proclaim its untrue. Just fuck off ok.

:rolleyes: 

I understand the study was done on 20 people. I also understand that they try to make the changes sound permanent, when in reality i bet the majority of the people had smoked the day of the scan..

I also bet that if they quit for a month the scan would be the same as non pot smokers.

Offlinesolomilitia
The offender

#19860931 - 04/17/14 04:58 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Of corse brain changes take place its why i smoke it
With out the change whats the point

--------------------

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#19861738 - 04/17/14 07:20 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

solomilitia said:

Quote:

solomilitia said:

Yeah this...I'm certainly not an authority in neuroscience, but I suspect that Cannabis causes a definite change in the subjective/objective thinking realm. I haven't worked out which is increased, objective or subjective thinking ability, but it's whichever would put more emphasis on right-brain activity. That would enable analogous -- as opposed to analytical -- thinking, which is where Cannabis' association with creativity comes from. And some of you may have noticed that it won't help you much with your math homework, lol.

Terrence McKenna might have attributed this phenomenon to Cannabis' mildly psychedelic nature and boundary dissolution.

So moderation is still the key, and everybody's different.

--------------------

OfflineBig Bird

#19861744 - 04/17/14 07:20 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

everyman said:

http://liorpachter.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/does-researching-casual-marijuana-use-cause-brain-abnormalities/

And since when is an increase in grey matter in the amygdala a bad thing? They found similar effects after meditation...

Offlinesolomilitia
The offender

#19861791 - 04/17/14 07:29 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dwnlw2slw said:
Quote:

solomilitia said:

Quote:

solomilitia said:

Yeah this...I'm certainly not an authority in neuroscience, but I suspect that Cannabis causes a definite change in the subjective/objective thinking realm. I haven't worked out which is increased, objective or subjective thinking ability, but it's whichever would put more emphasis on right-brain activity. That would enable analogous -- as opposed to analytical -- thinking, which is where Cannabis' association with creativity comes from. And some of you may have noticed that it won't help you much with your math homework, lol.

Terrence McKenna might have attributed this phenomenon to Cannabis' mildly psychedelic nature and boundary dissolution.

So moderation is still the key, and everybody's different.

In my case pot slowes me down
My thoughts have always raced changing as fast a child home sick from school watching daytime tv
When i smoke ( small amounts) the brain slows to the point that i can think about just one thing at a time makes it possable for me to listin to a lecture with out day dreaming
Started smoking after reading research by
Dr. Cludia jenson from CA she gave some very convincing testimony befor congress on the matter

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

#19900563 - 04/25/14 09:13 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

i think it was dwnNslw said "Moderation is the key" but i gotta say what you said next totally negates the fact, "everybody's different"

and that second statement is dead too right...  because it took me a period of 'getting over' the lethargic side effect to begin to experience the 'improved focus'...  i know there is a pharmaceutical term for that, like reverse tolerance or diminishing apex affect or some such jargon.

either way, massive doses of cannabis--- titrated up over time can be equally enlightening (in the absence of legal consequence)

--------------------

OfflineXingu
Stranger

Loc: NC
    #19900941 - 04/25/14 10:21 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Ingestion method, to me, is pretty key also. Vapor/smoke ingestion is quite recreational, but lack of a sustained state and a less consistent mental space makes it not necessarily optimal for rigorous mental work or therapeutic effects. I'm sure it varies person to person, but I've had great experiences with tincture, and am planning to make a big batch of oil soon with supplemented Cannabidiol to see how that hits me versus vaping. Much more research needs to be done on the hundreds of different cannabinoids present in marijuana, in isolation. It's pretty hilarious and blatantly underscores the scientific illteracy of policy makers to outright ban a plant based upon one particular selective breeding method which has solely been a response to prohibition. A properly cultivated cannabinoid profile, I feel, would kick the shit out of just about any cancer fighting method we currently have available, in addition to the vast array of other medicinal effects, and provide a better, clearer, and safer high. But no, it gets the ban hammer because we are governed by fratdouches.

Edited by Xingu (04/25/14 10:25 PM)

Offlinedwnlw2slw
METANOIA

#19900988 - 04/25/14 10:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

travelleler said:
i think it was dwnNslw said "Moderation is the key" but i gotta say what you said next totally negates the fact, "everybody's different"

It doesn't negate it; it modifies it. Moderation IS the key, and everybody moderates differently...some people will be lethargic after a certain dose, whereas others will be stimulated, etc...I'm not sure what you mean...?

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

#19901141 - 04/25/14 10:50 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Xingu said:
It's pretty hilarious and blatantly underscores the scientific illteracy of policy makers to outright ban a plant .... because we are governed by fratdouches.

There!  I distilled it for you!  even tho it's illegal to distill anything because that would require knowledge and that would be dangerus. 

if the policy makers are all illiterate than well, when in rome:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order