Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Any electricians here? Need some help
    #19830570 - 04/11/14 10:14 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I purchased this skillet heating element with the intention of being able to head up an external piece of metal. However, the protruding rod doesnt heat, it must be a temperature gauge or ground?

There are two female inserts on either side of the center rod, which I have now figured is to attached to the piece of metal being heated. MY question is, if I insert a loop into these inserts, will they effectively heat up? Or am i missing  a ground somewhere? Do I need to connect the loop to the center rod as well to avoid shock?

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Edited by ManianFH (04/11/14 10:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: ManianFH]
    #19830699 - 04/11/14 10:50 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

if you stick a piece of wire between the two it will cause an explosion, burned fuses and possibly a fire... metal is not a heating element.

edit: don't kill yourself with electricity, buy something pre-made.  :shake:

edit edit: what you have there is an adjustable power lead, not a heating element.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Edited by Northerner (04/11/14 10:54 PM)

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Northerner]
    #19830717 - 04/11/14 10:57 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

The heating element designed for that device has a very specific resistance that will limit the amount of current the circuit will draw. You put a piece of metal in there and you have a short circuit.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

InvisibleIntension
Stranger
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Northerner]
    #19830723 - 04/11/14 10:59 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

The rod is definitely a ground.  The heating part of a griddile is in the griddle (some type of resistance) not the plug. Don't fuck yourself up.

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Intension]
    #19830730 - 04/11/14 11:01 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

there is no ground... look at the plug. It is just a guide for plugging the lead into the skillet.

--------------------

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
    #19830781 - 04/11/14 11:20 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I believe the part that sticks out is indeed a temperature probe.

OP, if that piece is all you have, you don't have a heating element. You basically have a thermostat. The heating element is in the skillet part.

Offlineevileye001
Stranger then you
Male User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: psi]
    #19830785 - 04/11/14 11:23 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psi said:

OP, if that piece is all you have, you don't have a heating element. You basically have a thermostat. The heating element is in the skillet part.

:whathesaid:

your missing a piece.

that one.

--------------------
we are the universe contemplating its self.

Edited by evileye001 (04/11/14 11:24 PM)

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: psi]
    #19830790 - 04/11/14 11:26 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psi said:
part.

Knows all about probes, nailed it.

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: evileye001]
    #19831230 - 04/12/14 03:39 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

evileye001 said:
Quote:

psi said:

:whathesaid:

your missing a piece.

that one.

right so here is a makeshift heating element, basically a bent piece of metal that creates the loop. Someone said this wont have the same resistance as the piece made for the module.

So if I plug this in, its pretty much gonna explode, and not heat up?

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

InvisibleMoorning Due
been know to derp

Loc: ether jet of existence
    #19831239 - 04/12/14 03:47 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

just get a few DC batteries, enough to get some good AMPs and some cheap but think gauge copper wire. Wire the batteries in Parallel to increase AMPS and you can get that wire pretty hot and no risk of short circuiting anything, but you might start a fire.

--------------------
Cause we all have wings. But some of us don't know why...

My very own funnies thread: LINKY

Offlineevileye001
Stranger then you
Male User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Moorning Due]
    #19831254 - 04/12/14 03:56 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mick said:
right so here is a makeshift heating element, basically a bent piece of metal that creates the loop. Someone said this wont have the same resistance as the piece made for the module.

So if I plug this in, its pretty much gonna explode, and not heat up?

if its not a high conductive metal, plug it in on the lowest setting some where fire and sparks wont matter. basically in a "safe zone" and see what happens. except for potential melt down and sparks the worst that will happen is a breaker will trip.

heating elements have a high conductive resistance. that pic looks like aluminum or steel, witch has a LOW conductive resistance and is NOT GOOD.

if you decide to plug it in keep the device where it has ABSOLUTELY no chance to catch any thing else on fire. there is a good chance it will flip a breaker if any thing is wrong.

metals like iron have low conductivity and are better for a heating element.

Quote:

Moorning Due said:
just get a few DC batteries, enough to get some good AMPs and some cheap but think gauge copper wire. Wire the batteries in Parallel to increase AMPS and you can get that wire pretty hot and no risk of short circuiting anything, but you might start a fire.

basically what i said in a previous post of yours on this but i got degraded and called stupid.

you could use a ac to dc converter so you dont need batterys but thats tricky business if you dont know exactly what you dealing with.

--------------------

Edited by evileye001 (04/12/14 04:13 AM)

InvisibleMoorning Due
been know to derp

#19831275 - 04/12/14 04:08 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Hrmm, don't ever remember berating anyone... What did I say? I usually prefer anal to harsh words.

--------------------

Offlineevileye001
Stranger then you
Male User Gallery

#19831278 - 04/12/14 04:10 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

edit.

repeated my self.

--------------------

Edited by evileye001 (04/12/14 04:13 AM)

Invisibletrekie
Metal man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Larger cities Flag
    #19831314 - 04/12/14 04:46 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

That looks like stainless steal don't use stainless. Use good old fashion steal . Stainless releases all sort of nasty when it's heated.

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: trekie]
    #19831321 - 04/12/14 04:51 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Perhaps you mean "steel".

"Steel", is a metal.

"Steal", is what scumbags do.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblekoraks
    #19831336 - 04/12/14 05:00 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
Quote:

psi said:
part.

Knows all about probes, nailed it.

Yeah, it's most likely a thermocouple.

Quote:

Moorning Due said:

That's pretty bad advice. If you use thin wire, the wire will melt (and may cause a fire that way), if you use thick wire, the batteries will short and catch fire/explode.

Quote:

mick said:
MY question is, if I insert a loop into these inserts, will they effectively heat up?

Yes, but it's unclear how much power the thermostat (the thing with the turning knob) can handle, hence, it's virtually impossible to work out what length and thickness of which sort of metal you'd have to use. If you are bent on proceeding with this, make sure you use a socket that is connected to a circuit breaker (fuse) and use regular, not too thick iron wire. Iron has a higher resistance than copper, so you'll need less wire to achieve your goal. Copper wire could be used too, but is unnecessarily expensive for this application and you'd need more of it. But all considered, I'd advice against this.

What is the application that you have in mind? Perhaps we can suggest a safer method to achieve what you're trying to do.

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: koraks]
    #19831349 - 04/12/14 05:06 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

OP... DO NOT FUCK WITH ELECTRICITY! YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF AND OTHERS!!!

Go to tech, read some websites... don't ask the stoners on shroomery, go to electrician websites. Buy a pre-made unit, buy insurance already.

It's not like if your grow fails you try again... If it fails you die.

--------------------

InvisibleMoorning Due
been know to derp

#19831352 - 04/12/14 05:09 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

Moorning Due said:

That's pretty bad advice. If you use thin wire, the wire will melt (and may cause a fire that way), if you use thick wire, the batteries will short and catch fire/explode.

That's why you use wire that isn't too thick or thin.. Used to do this ALL the time as a kid... Never had a battery blow up. You need thick wire to wire the batteries together, but you can coil wire to increase the temp within the coil.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Moorning Due]
    #19831359 - 04/12/14 05:11 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Sure, you can balance your way into a stable situation, but the trial and error process is quite tricky. The best approach would be to calculate the length and thickness of the wire needed to achieve a stable heating situation instead of just guessing and ending up with a hole in your workbench or burning lithium all over the place :wink: So I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's just too risky of an approach IMO.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#19831795 - 04/12/14 08:15 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You should probably measure the resistance of a heating element to get an idea of what you should be putting in the circuit, but as a general idea with a 120V  you'd want something between 50 and 100 ohms to draw no more than a couple amps, which is probably all that device is capable of.

I think most elements are made out of ceramics or fairly poor conducting alloys.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: ManianFH] * 1
    #19831800 - 04/12/14 08:18 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
You should probably measure the resistance of a heating element to get an idea of what you should be putting in the circuit, but as a general idea with a 120V  you'd want something between 50 and 100 ohms to draw no more than a couple amps, which is probably all that device is capable of.

I think most elements are made out of ceramics or fairly poor conducting alloys.

Exactly. 

Really, though, you should stop fucking around with shit like this because you clearly don't know what you're doing and could easily hurt yourself.

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: idiotek]
    #19831805 - 04/12/14 08:22 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

All I know here is that heating elements are made of tungsten because it create a lot of resistance which makes it heat up.

Also, to everyone interested. I am planning OPs funeral, everybody is invited.

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Patlal]
    #19831819 - 04/12/14 08:28 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Koods said it already, the element is specifically designed to match the output of the thermostat.  The resistance will determine how much current will pass through it given a specific voltage.  It is designed to take ~120v through a polarized non-grounded plug, so there is no ground involved. 

The picture of the two pieces of metal sticking out of the thermostat shows a short circuit, and assuming those metals will conduct electricity, will almost certainly trip a breaker or burn a fuse as well as create an interesting and alarming fireworks display at the place where the metal rods are making contact because of the surge of current that will happen.

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #19831830 - 04/12/14 08:34 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:...What is the application that you have in mind? Perhaps we can suggest a safer method to achieve what you're trying to do.

:wizard: . . . :peace:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: vinsue]
    #19832673 - 04/12/14 12:54 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

vinsue said:
Quote:

koraks said:...What is the application that you have in mind? Perhaps we can suggest a safer method to achieve what you're trying to do.

:wizard: . . . :peace:

My intention is the most simple thing ever, yet I cannot find a solution.

I want to be able to heat up a small piece of metal (like the size of a quarter) to a range (adjustable if possible) of 130-165 degrees Fahrenheit and keep it at that temperature. That is it. Thats all I need.

At first when I bought this thing, I thought the middle metal piece was what heated up, but its a temperature gauge. I am not going to proceed with this experiment, as this is dangerous and im in over my head. but FUCKING A... ALL I NEED IS TO HEAT A PIECE OF METAL TO 150..... I havent found anything capable of completing this task.

--------------------

Edited by ManianFH (04/12/14 12:55 PM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #19832902 - 04/12/14 01:46 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

A quarter weighs a few grams; whipping out a heating solution that will apply in excess of 100W to it will be overkill and it will make temperature regulation quite challenging.

Why don't you just take a 15W light bulb (the old-fashioned tungsten kind) with a fixture, put it in a little aluminum box and suspend the metal piece above it so that it heats up to the required temperature. You can vary the temperature by choosing to poke some (more) ventilation holes in the aluminum box and by varying the distance between the metal piece and the light bulb. Heck, you could easily make an aluminum box this way that heats to the desired temperature in its entirety.

The worst that could happen in this solution (if you properly shield the wires that feed the bulb) is that the bulb burns out, which it will do at some point, obviously.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#19833337 - 04/12/14 03:13 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

If you want to get fancy and satisfy that urge you have to fuck with electronics, go to radio shack and get one of those big watt sized resistors with about 5-10 ohms resistance. Yon can easily find a proper low voltage that will heat it up to whatever temperature you wish

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: koods]
    #19833427 - 04/12/14 03:34 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
If you want to get fancy and satisfy that urge you have to fuck with electronics, go to radio shack and get one of those big watt sized resistors with about 5-10 ohms resistance. Yon can easily find a proper low voltage that will heat it up to whatever temperature you wish

That's the way to go.

Use one of these TO-220 resistors with a metal back (like this)

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/TR35JBD7R50/TR35JBD7R50-ND/1646140

or one of the chassis mount resistors (like this)

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/KAL50FB10R0/KAL50FB10R0-ND/1646200

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinespore baby
Male

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #19839427 - 04/13/14 06:56 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by spore baby (12/13/14 10:27 PM)

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: spore baby]
    #19839490 - 04/13/14 07:09 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I suspect OP wants something to explode

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #19844332 - 04/14/14 03:58 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

koods said:

That's the way to go.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna hit up radio shack and see what they've got to offer :smile:

--------------------

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

#19844843 - 04/14/14 05:41 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

You have no idea what you're doing.  None of the wires suggested will work. You're just going to flip a circuit breaker in your house or possibly cause a fire or even electrocute yourself.  Heating elements are made from Nichrome wire (nickel-chromium alloy) which not only has a certain resistance, but has a certain heat resistance curve. Don't be going around plugging in random wires or metal tubes into electrical devices or you're going to figure it out the hard way.  as little as 10 micro-amps of current through the right internal organs can kill you. 110VAC probably won't kill you but it could.

Quote:

mick said:
Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

koods said:

That's the way to go.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna hit up radio shack and see what they've got to offer :smile:

:laugh2: So your plan is to run a tiny resister and a wire in series and see what happens?  I assume you're going to attach that resistor to the coin, but do you know the output of that device you have?  It was meant for a nichrome wire and it's going to fry that little resistor I bet.

If you can find some nichrome wire you may be able to make a circuit that works for what you need.  That unit you have is probably just a rectifier (AC to DC converter) circuit with a rheostat (current adjuster) You could get a digital multi-meter and measure the DC voltage output then use THIS to calculate the size nichrome wire you need for your application. 

Or you can just put the coin or whatever on an electric stove top and measure the temperature with a laser thermometer.  I don't know what you're trying to do so that's the best I got for you. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinespore baby
Male

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: searching]
    #19851850 - 04/16/14 01:10 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by spore baby (12/13/14 10:26 PM)

Offlinespore baby
Male

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: searching]
    #19851857 - 04/16/14 01:12 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by spore baby (12/13/14 10:26 PM)

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

#19852181 - 04/16/14 03:16 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

spore baby said:
Here's a guy who thought he could be an electrican too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfyyii_man-electrocuted-on-the-train-india_news

Holy shit bro... you can see the guy is actually on fire. Insane!

--------------------

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #19852707 - 04/16/14 07:39 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

spore baby said:
Quote:

Patlal said:
All I know here is that heating elements are made of tungsten because it create a lot of resistance which makes it heat up.

Also, to everyone interested. I am planning OPs funeral, everybody is invited.

Here's a guy who thought he could be an electrican too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfyyii_man-electrocuted-on-the-train-india_news

FUck... That guy is dead.

--------------------

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: Any electricians here? Need some help [Re: Patlal]
    #19852737 - 04/16/14 07:51 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Darwin award...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags