Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Just swapped my old macbook air for pretty sick gaming rig [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #19784907 - 04/02/14 04:50 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Even modern cards come with those. 780s and shit. And people try and use them. In Dells and HPs and shit.

I will never understand the logic of someone who buys a $500-600 graphics card from 2014 and tries to slap it into a $200 prebuilt from 2005 and think it's going to turn it into a super computer or some shit.

Assuming you can even get it to POST... (usually involves upgrading the PSU... and assuming the mobo is compatible (they often are NOT with the modern high end GPUs), and you can get it to POST and get into the OS.... you are almost certainly going to be bottlenecked to hell with that ancient CPU. I always tell these people it's like trying to slap a Lamborghini engine into a civic... it's just not going to handle it.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerew736
Your local stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: New York, United States Flag
Re: Just swapped my old macbook air for pretty sick gaming rig [Re: Shroomism]
    #19785546 - 04/02/14 06:53 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

:facepalm: All too true.

--------------------
My trade list
malicom said:
"Banana's emit radiation. In fact banannas are the standard in detecting solar radiation. The radiation read from a bananna tells scientists how active the sun was during the growing season. Make sure to steer clear of bananas too."
seekaytea said:
"I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin."
Wiccan_Seeker said:
"Your knowledge on male-on-male rape and willingness to engage in fantasy regarding the matter is commendable."
eminemvs.slimshady said:
"I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?"

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #19785568 - 04/02/14 06:58 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

am sure it's a massive bottleneck, but i recall you saying it could actually hurt performance and can't really seem to validate that from 3dmark scores etc, seeing lower scores from a better gpu in any instance, digging around at pentium 920d i see one scoring at 3.2k w/ a gtx 580 compared to one w/ a radeon 4350 scoring about 1.2k

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/02/14 07:29 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19786550 - 04/02/14 10:13 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

It really depends what you are testing it in. Games that are heavily CPU bound will show a massive bottleneck, in pairing a CPU that old with something like a 580. 3Dmark probably isn't the greatest reference point. I'm just going based on personal experience, I don't know how many people I've talked to where they upgrade their 7600GT (for example) to something like a GTX 680 and say they are getting the same.. or worse performance in all their games. That's a classic sign of a CPU bottleneck when you upgrade the card that much and see zero performance gains. In my experience.... anything under a core 2 duo/quad CPU (circa ~2008) is going to bottleneck the hell out of a super high end GPU, depending what you are testing it in.

--------------------

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #19786693 - 04/02/14 10:42 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
It's fun to hate on 'Apple', you should try it sometime. It's very liberating. :zomgzomgzomg:

I'm with you.

FFUUUCCCKK APPPLLLEEEEEEEE IN ITS STEM HOLE.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19786701 - 04/02/14 10:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
It really depends what you are testing it in. Games that are heavily CPU bound will show a massive bottleneck, in pairing a CPU that old with something like a 580. 3Dmark probably isn't the greatest reference point. I'm just going based on personal experience, I don't know how many people I've talked to where they upgrade their 7600GT (for example) to something like a GTX 680 and say they are getting the same.. or worse performance in all their games. That's a classic sign of a CPU bottleneck when you upgrade the card that much and see zero performance gains. In my experience.... anything under a core 2 duo/quad CPU (circa ~2008) is going to bottleneck the hell out of a super high end GPU, depending what you are testing it in.

yah, i do believe yah, just would love a database of sorts with bizarre cpu/gpu combinations... unfortunately nobody with half a brain is gonna stick their gtx Titan or w/e in some crazy old rig for testing purposes, and anybody who would is not gonna document it :lol:

is also worth pointing out that games that are truly heavily cpu bound (in specific parts of the game) i've found see little to no performance upgrade when upgrading your gpu, even when the cpu ain't half bad... i had a q9550 i believe when i upgraded my 8800gt to a gtx 260, and WoW saw zero notable performance increase, then upgraded to 1155/2600k and wow was off the hook in high pop server like illidan outside org bank seeing 45+ fps w/ 150 toons on screen compared to like 22fps... an upgrade to a 670ftw did see some reasonable performance increase but i think that was due to later xpac taking advantage of it

i've never played with super heavy overclocks like 5ghz+ but am really curious what the actual best configuration is in a heavy server mmo, i know you played wow, imagine those days where some new arena gear came out and a billion people were lined up at the vendor and it just crushed your machine and ppl actively trolled it to make it worse dropping blizzards or whatever other special effects.... i wonder what setup squeaks out the best performance.....

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Edited by CosmicJoke (04/02/14 10:58 PM)

OfflineSundrop
 User Gallery

Loc: tennessee
    #19786928 - 04/02/14 11:45 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Did it have a noctua nh-d14? :O. Those coolers outperform the corsair 100i liquid coolers...and its what I have in mine.

OfflineSundrop
 User Gallery

Loc: tennessee
    #19786942 - 04/02/14 11:49 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, I have the evga 780 gtx acx in my new rig, also.  I love the card.  It would definitely be a waste without other adequate components, though.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19787167 - 04/03/14 12:55 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Generally MMO / RTS type of games are more CPU driven, but more are taking advantage of the GPU as well lately. FPS and action games are usually GPU driven with CPU only taking care of basic calculations where in other games the CPU may be doing 99% of the work. WoW was almost entirely CPU based for most of the time, they only just recently a DX11 patch which puts a little bit more load on the GPU but it's still a CPU-based game.

So it really depends on the games / programs being utilized.. but in general if you have any modern mid range CPU (sandy/ivy/ivy-e bridge.. even the first gen i7s and i5s) you don't really have to worry about any bottleneck, as long as the CPU can "keep up" with the graphics card, then you are good to go. A Pentium 4 cannot keep up with a Titan however and even a QX9650 would suffer. In games that are mainly GPU driven is where you might even see a performance decrease from upgrading.. from stuttering or similar.. it generally just manifests as terrible FPS as the CPU is literally choking at 100% usage trying to keep pace with the GPU calculations. A modern processor handles it no problem.

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19787622 - 04/03/14 03:14 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

wouldn't doubt it, in terms of two relatively modern rigs and the witcher 2 ultra minus uber sampling @ 1440p

i can tell you stock i5 w/ reference gtx 680 OOTB out performs i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz and reasonably oc'd 670 ftw by a solid 7+ fps in most demanding scenes of game, so in my personal experience, for gaming purposes only, i5 and dump every last cent into your gpu if money is of concern... that's fairly common knowledge i guess but my testing confirms it, eventually i might squeak out a few more fps from oc'ing the i5/680

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19787651 - 04/03/14 03:23 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

the difference between an I5 and I7 is almost negligible when it comes to gaming.  In this instance it is really all about your GPU.  a 680 stock still beats any version of a 670, even overclocked.

though, if it was me I would stick the 680 with the I7. :laugh:

Oh wait, I did! I just used a i7-3820 instead.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Just swapped my old macbook air for pretty sick gaming rig [Re: mndfreeze]
    #19787667 - 04/03/14 03:29 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
the difference between an I5 and I7 is almost negligible when it comes to gaming.  In this instance it is really all about your GPU.  a 680 stock still beats any version of a 670, even overclocked.

though, if it was me I would stick the 680 with the I7. :laugh:

Oh wait, I did! I just used a i7-3820 instead.

wellll, might vary by game a little, certainly witcher 2 is a gpu game... WoW i'd have to test, would need to d/l the game just to log in....

but i could do that man, mix and match best pieces from each rig...
i almost don't want to though,  i have a sick asus p8z77-v pro board and evga 670 ftw card w/ the i7-2600k

and the i5-2500k has a kindah meh asrock 768 board and a galaxy reference 680, but would def. get max performance swapping out the reference galaxy 680 w/ the evga ftw 670 on the 2600k build...

good point

edit:
also my 2600k build has a crucial m4 266gb ssd and the 'new' i5 build has a samsung evo 840 250gb (which i bought for less than half the price) and the samsung 840 evo destroys performance of crucial m4... ridiculous what a year can make for price/performance :grrr:

--------------------

Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19787681 - 04/03/14 03:35 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Especially with SSD's right now.  They have been in a tech war for the last 2 years to the benefit of the consumer. :laugh:  Hopefully it doesn't stale out to quickly because thats when the jumps will get tiny but cost tons and tons and tons.

--------------------

quote]Urb said:

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Re: Just swapped my old macbook air for pretty sick gaming rig [Re: mndfreeze]
    #19787689 - 04/03/14 03:38 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
Especially with SSD's right now.  They have been in a tech war for the last 2 years to the benefit of the consumer. :laugh:  Hopefully it doesn't stale out to quickly because thats when the jumps will get tiny but cost tons and tons and tons.

anyone who has paid attention to ram saw competition get so intense that the whole market crashed and they had to dramatically raise prices to recover from it.... when i bought a 16gb corsair 1600mhz desktop kit a few years ago it was $75...... i sure as shit hope that doesn't happen to SSDs, that would be such a step backwards

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19787702 - 04/03/14 03:44 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Fuck I paid like $250 for a 120GB Intel SSD a few years ago.. right now you can get a good 512GB one for that price.
Soon 1TB SSDs will become affordable.. muwahahahaa

--------------------

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#19787728 - 04/03/14 03:55 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Fuck I paid like $250 for a 120GB Intel SSD a few years ago.. right now you can get a good 512GB one for that price.
Soon 1TB SSDs will become affordable.. muwahahahaa

Personally I'd kind of like to see a 250gb pci-e ssd for $130 myself, but my gaming rig is but a gaming rig, all primary storage is off site on server

i'm ready for sata to go away :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules