Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Who actually takes philosophy?
    #1968089 - 09/30/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

who is taking or has taken philosophy as a course?

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: manna_man]
    #1968125 - 09/30/03 11:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

took philosophy, ethics, and logic

had better revelations from taking mushrooms and acid

OfflineStubaby
crosseyed andpainless

Loc: Dudley's Kitchen
    #1968247 - 10/01/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I took PHI 100 Knowledge/Reality and had the most godawful professor. Class was torturous and the days I attended I had to pinch or stab myself with a pencil to remain awake. Reading the book, however, was very engrossing, and I wish I had had a different professor because it seemed quite interesting.

--------------------
Well everybody's dancin in a ring around the sun
Nobody's finished, we ain't even begun
So take off your shoes child, and take off your hat
Try on your wings and find out where it's at.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #1968281 - 10/01/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I took Philosophy 101 as a freshman. It was more an overview of Philosophers (and their particular philosphic schools of thought) than anything. It's kind of hard to cram in 3000 years of philosophy into a semester.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1968290 - 10/01/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've taken Philosophy 101, Existentialism and Phenomenology, and am currently taking Ethics and Social Philosophy. But like someone said earlier, I've had better revelations off of mushrooms.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1968378 - 10/01/03 12:46 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I took logic for a year at my mother's recommendation and I did real well - got HDs in both subjects. But I found it real boring - 'predicate calculus' which is what they taught us is pretty similar to maths. My mum is a mathematician and I have known other mathematicians who enjoyed it. Maths is not me though - I should have taken a theory subject.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: enotake2]
    #1969620 - 10/01/03 01:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've had Science Philosophy or whatever the hell it's called in English, and a general Philosophy course. I've learned a heck of a lot more from:

1) Thinking about it myself
2) Books
3) Drugs

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #1969637 - 10/01/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> who is taking or has taken philosophy as a course?

I took intro philospophy many years ago. I found it to be a very boring and dry class, but I went to an engineering school and not a liberal arts school, so that may have had something to do with it. The teacher was good, but the class was mostly writing papers. Worse than english composition class for that.

I also had to take a logic class (required course) and enjoyed it to no end. No papers, just analysis and problem solving techniques. Logic was one of the few classes that I took that I actually use in my day to day life.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #1969642 - 10/01/03 02:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I initially got into philosophy so I better articulate my amorphous blob of thoughts that I had acquired through life and some really intense psychedelic experiences.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1969866 - 10/01/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Personally, I find it more fun to make up my own philosophical ideas rather than use the thoughts of previous thinkers, like all the other phil students/teachers I know.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1969903 - 10/01/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Did any of the well known philosophers take philosophy, or did they just come up with philosophies? Me thinks the latter.

--------------------

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: Shroomism]
    #1969957 - 10/01/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The thing about those old philosophers is that most of them lived hundreds of years ago when philosophy was still growing. Now i just seems as we are just finding new questions based on the old ones. Theres not really much room for originality as ALMOST everything has been thought of already.
And there are philosophers who learned philosophy from their teachers, like Aristotle from Plato.
But yea, I think being instructed in how to think is pointless, as it kind of takes away, or taints the only thing that an individual truly has to himself.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1970025 - 10/01/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i took a course on eastern philosophy.

i also took an english course once where all the teacher did was expound on plato, aristotle, socrates, st. augustine, and st. thomas aquinas.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: ]
    #1970398 - 10/01/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Dont waste to much time on other peoples thoughts. Think of some on your own!

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #1970490 - 10/01/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I took two class ,philosophy of contemporary issues and ethics.
Needed the credits.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: chinacat72]
    #1970942 - 10/01/03 09:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

manna man: Personally, I find it more fun to make up my own philosophical ideas rather than use the thoughts of previous thinkers, like all the other phil students/teachers I know.
Shroomism: Did any of the well known philosophers take philosophy, or did they just come up with philosophies? Me thinks the latter.
whole9: Dont waste to much time on other peoples thoughts. Think of some on your own!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Holy fucking shit do you guys have some rank ideas when it comes to philosophy.  How could any of you possibly think that studying another's thoughts is somehow a roadblock to creativity and originality?
I can understand the whole "forget what other philosophers have said" if you each have a degree in philosophy, but I bet you can't even tell me the difference between Sartre and Heidegger.

Try looking at philosophy from a historical perspective.  Understanding another's thought process can, if nothing else, help you understand your own. 
Wait... now I think I know what the problem here is...     

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineTaoinShrrom
The Action inInaction

#1970975 - 10/01/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Sclorch is right, why discount 3000 years of brillant analysis and reinvent an inferrior wheel. Actually, I would bet almost every famous philospher was VERY well versed in both historical philosphical texts and contemporary writtings. Everyone I have read was resoponding to classic issues and relied and previous thoughts. Most philosophy of a legitimatly high order is in responce to pervious ideas. New questions, new answers, and new ways of looking at things. The whole history of knowledge is essentailly a giant loop problem->solution->reevaluation->problem.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1971658 - 10/02/03 01:10 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

but I bet you can't even tell me the difference between Sartre and Heidegger.

Heh, interesting that you picked those two. The most famous difference between them is that Sartre was a fan of Stalin while Heidegger was a fan of Hitler.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1971944 - 10/02/03 04:54 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:
Quote:

but I bet you can't even tell me the difference between Sartre and Heidegger.

Heh, interesting that you picked those two. The most famous difference between them is that Sartre was a fan of Stalin while Heidegger was a fan of Hitler.

..and fireworks_god is a fan of Saddam! :grin: (joking, of course).
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #1971969 - 10/02/03 05:36 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

My undergrad degree is a B.A. in Philosophy from Long Island University. Studied with Bob Brier, who co-published with J.B. Rhine - Father of Parapsychology while at Duke U. Brier is known for having made the first human, Egyptian-style mummy in 2000 years, on TLC. He is also an Egyptologist. Bob met Carlos Casteneda at the yearly gathering on Halloween (1974) at Harry Houdini's grave. That was when I learned that Don Juan Matus was a fiction.

Philosophy means 'love of wisdom,' for those who haven't pondered the word. If that is boring, it is only because your mind is suffused with the emotion called boredom, which prevents one from 'digging' that which life offers you.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1972089 - 10/02/03 07:45 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I did phil 101 'mind and reality' last semester. It was quite good, one of the lecturers as an ex-tripper. I'd like to do more philosophy papers, but i can't credit them to my degree, so i might as well read a book instead.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Who actually takes philosophy? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1972422 - 10/02/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
My undergrad degree is a B.A. in Philosophy from Long Island University. Studied with Bob Brier, who co-published with J.B. Rhine - Father of Parapsychology while at Duke U. Brier is known for having made the first human, Egyptian-style mummy in 2000 years, on TLC. He is also an Egyptologist. Bob met Carlos Casteneda at the yearly gathering on Halloween (1974) at Harry Houdini's grave. That was when I learned that Don Juan Matus was a fiction.

Hehe, be careful when you go off like that, because you might end up sounding like Abraham Simpson and his stories.. :grin: Just messing with ya, man.

Quote:

Philosophy means 'love of wisdom,' for those who haven't pondered the word. If that is boring, it is only because your mind is suffused with the emotion called boredom, which prevents one from 'digging' that which life offers you. 

Boredom sucks and is completely pointless. If we can't be happy in whatever situation we are presented with in this life, then we are missing the point of us being here, alive and breathing, forever breathing... Here and now...

But then again, I guess that I AM going over to Oslo and then into Sweden, with a chance to buy all sorts of fireworks that they won't sell here legally (reminds me of my days living in Iowa and our yearly trips up to South Dakota to get the illegal supplies for our own shows, and then me stealing from my dad's stock to take into the small town where my friends lived to raise our own hell at night... )

I guess I am starting to sound like good ole' Abe as well, recounting the stories of old.... 'course, back in those days, we called fireworks Chink Chunks and I got in a fist fight with Theodore Roosevelt, who back in those days was called Sally... :grin:
Peace.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Edited by fireworks_god (10/02/03 10:22 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract