Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMeiko
Miss
Female User Gallery

Small shrooms & premature opening caps
    #19495322 - 01/30/14 07:34 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Hey all,

I have a question regarding small shrooms opening their caps too early. I've read all I could get on this matter, but I guess it depends on individials what their issue might be. So that's been going on to my Mexi cubes (1st flush) and the same happened to my Ecuadors before (2nd flush, 1st was much bigger) in the same growing conditions. The only difference between the 1st and 2nd flush of Ecuadors was the means of fc moisture: instead of perlite I'd been using wet cloths. Plus, I had no lamp at that time (only room daylight).
FRUITING CONDITIONS:

FC: shotgun, done according to the tek (6mm drill, holes 5 cm apart from eachother on all 6 sides)
LIGHT: fluorescent daylight 6700 K, 25 watts
MOISTURE, FAN: misting and fanning 3x/day. Sometimes more, but never less. Every time I mist on the caking layer, there is visible bruising on the mycelium. I dunk the whole cake in water prior to fruiting. There is 9 cm layer of damp perlite in fc, I spray that also. Moisture content in fc: not quite sure, have a shitty gygro, it must be somewhere around 90.
SUBSTRATE: have no freaking idea, I got this box for free. I just know it's pretty weird because there is perlite under the substrate.
TEMPERATURE: 20 degrees celsium / 68F (room temp) non stop.

Pictures below!
If you guys can help me out here, I would appreciate that a lot.. since I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and don't want to learn on my mistakes for too long :tongue2:

--------------------
"When you place yourself in foreign situations, you arrive in your most concentrated form. You will always bump into yourself in the unfamiliar." (Unknown)

Edited by Meiko (01/30/14 07:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluecap
mychanical
Male User Gallery

Re: Small shrooms & premature opening caps [Re: Meiko]
    #19495340 - 01/30/14 07:42 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

probably multispore roll of the dice. genetics.. bet those will be potent little buggers though...:psychsplit:

--------------------
I wish I was a grain of sand, layin in a babies hand...fallin like a diamond chain into the ocean... A willow tree is strong enough to bend, never like the oak who lives in fear of a wind....Gamma...:mushroom2:                                                                                                                                                  :sporedrop:          :sporedrop:

OfflineMeiko
Miss
Female User Gallery

Re: Small shrooms & premature opening caps [Re: bluecap]
    #19495372 - 01/30/14 07:54 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Possible, but I'm convinced otherwise because of the Ecuadors - 1st flush produced bigger, meatier fruits with normal cap openning, whereas the second was much smaller with caps openning way too soon. This growth may have chaned because I changed the setup (new light, perlite instead of wet cloths)

--------------------
"When you place yourself in foreign situations, you arrive in your most concentrated form. You will always bump into yourself in the unfamiliar." (Unknown)

Offlinebluecap
mychanical
Male User Gallery

#19495397 - 01/30/14 08:05 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

ya could be. I also notice a lot of bruising there. maybe too much misting ? not enough? or too little rh ? just some guesses, there are so many variables. does the sub feel heavy  or light? could be moisture content effecting them? too wet or too dry...:tongue:

--------------------
I wish I was a grain of sand, layin in a babies hand...fallin like a diamond chain into the ocean... A willow tree is strong enough to bend, never like the oak who lives in fear of a wind....Gamma...:mushroom2:                                                                                                                                                  :sporedrop:          :sporedrop:

Offlinespacechildo
proletarians rise up
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
    #19495440 - 01/30/14 08:23 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bluecap said:
probably multispore roll of the dice. genetics..

:whathesaid:

OfflineMeiko
Miss
Female User Gallery

#19495471 - 01/30/14 08:36 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bluecap said:
ya could be. I also notice a lot of bruising there. maybe too much misting ? not enough? or too little rh ? just some guesses, there are so many variables. does the sub feel heavy  or light? could be moisture content effecting them? too wet or too dry...:tongue:

Yes, it's plenty of bruising, especially at the bottom of stems! The cake seems pretty heavy. Maybe I've been over misting? Or maybe the whole fc is way too moist (I wish I had a proper hygro now!)

--------------------

Edited by Meiko (01/30/14 08:41 AM)

Offlinebluecap
mychanical
Male User Gallery

#19495490 - 01/30/14 08:45 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I would cut back on the misting and let the sub evaporate off more moisture then. you  don't need to worry  too much about rh in a shotgun. you don't need a gauge either... as long as your perlite is moist and good fae... its fool proof.  bet the next flush comes out better for you...if  the sub feels light after first flush, dunk for an hour or so  for your 2nd flush. if it still feels heavy don't dunk...:stoned:

--------------------

OfflineMeiko
Miss
Female User Gallery

#19495782 - 01/30/14 10:27 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, I'll do that, thanks a lot!!

Edited by Meiko (02/02/14 08:30 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder