Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Rust [Re: Uzziel]
    #19540553 - 02/08/14 04:42 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I played a few hours earlier.  Ran across the map.  I find myself in a valley with a ton of resources.  Shoot a bear and the same asshole comes up and shoots me in the back, he has done it a few times now.  I think to myself whats the chances this guy is watching over the field.  Dudes been there every time now.  I swear the guy sits in his tower watching over his resources like a hermit controlling his claim.  I need to team up with someone that will kill a bear in his area to be a decoy.  So i can sneak up from the side and  shank him.

:strokebeard:

Edited by Corporal Kielbasa (02/08/14 04:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Rust [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #19540566 - 02/08/14 04:45 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah you really need to get teamed up with other people to start to be really effective. That plus get a nice secure base.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Rust [Re: Shroomism]
    #19540585 - 02/08/14 04:49 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Well I downloaded it to try it out... so far it is confusing as fuck.

I joined and within 5 mins of running around I got shot and killed. Then I respawned and within 5 mins again another dude tried to kill me and failed and I escaped.

I barely know what is going on, how to find guns, where to find ammo, how to craft anything, etc..

Seriously confusing heh. Not noob friendly at all as I can see. The map is huge as fuck as well.

also, no map, no compass, nothing to direct me to any place at all... painful lol

Edited by Uzziel (02/08/14 04:52 PM)

InvisibleKilgore Trout
Yachts on the reg

Loc: Metro City, USA
    #19540610 - 02/08/14 04:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Are the maps randomly generated, or is it the same map on every server?

#19540629 - 02/08/14 04:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I need to figure out my in game mic.  I think on initial install I checked off the microphone not thinking its needed.  That few seconds at first contact voice would really help along with doing missions etc.  Lone wolfing it doesn't really work.

Still trying to figure a good location on the map for a base.  I don't want to be right in the middle of everything.  Seems like there are strong holds all along the coast and all around the center.  Seems like the only open ground is North.

I think I might have spawned at your base Shroomism.  I logged off standing in the part of the yard with no rads.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19540720 - 02/08/14 05:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Same map on every server.

Uzz - Use these maps as a reference
http://playrustwiki.com/images/f/ff/Newbie_Navigation_1.1.jpg
https://rustmap.net/index.php?sid=MTM5MDgxNjEzNTIwNDM%3D

There is only one road that loops around. If you find the road you can find where you are eventually.
You can use RAD towns as a reference.

The first thing to do to get started, is find piles of wood and rocks, and hit them with your rock until they are gone. Once you have enough wood and stone, you can craft a hatchet which makes gathering wood/stone much easier.

Once you have enough wood, first thing to do is start building a wood shelter. Try to hide it somewhere so it doesnt get raided easily. Once you have a shelter built, you are somewhat safe. Go out and kill pigs and chickens with your hatchet to get meat and cloth. Keep farming wood and stone and easy animals (pigs and chickens). AVOID wolves and bears, until you have some decent armor and/or a good weapon to kill them. With a hatchet they will probably kill you before you kill them. If you aggro a wolf or bear, just run and do not stop. You can outrun bears easily but wolves will keep up with you... you just have to keep running and dodge around corners and eventually they will lose sight of you... just keep running and cutting between rocks and trees and hills.

Next step is to build a wooden door to secure your hut... a crafting table, then a furnace (inside your hut), then you can start smelting ore and making better stuff. You will want to build a box in your hut to store shit, and a sleeping bag... so if you die you can respawn in your hut.

Once you have a furnace built, you can put your ore and wood in it, and this makes metal fragments.. which you can use to craft a better hatchet... make a METAL door ASAP and use that as your door. Metal doors are MUCH harder to break down than wood. A wood door you can destroy with a hatchet (it takes a couple hundred hits). A metal door can ONLY be destroyed by C4, and it takes 2 charges or C4. No one is going to waste 2 C4 to get into your tiny little hut, so a metal door is most secure.

Once you have enough wood saved up, you can start to craft an actual house. A couple foundations, pillars, wood doorway, walls, ceilings.. get everything crafted FIRST and THEN build your house all at once - you don't want to leave it exposed for people to break into. A wooden hut CAN be broken down with a hatchet, but it takes a long time and most people wont bother. You are pretty secure once you have a hut with a metal door, but not completely, so focus should be on making a bigger base.

Few tips for building a house: ONLY place pillars on the 4 corners of the foundation. It will allow you to place pillars in the middle - and if you do this, you effectively screw yourself from being able to put up walls or ceilings or anything on that foundation, so you lose it. You need pillars on all 4 corners or a foundation, and ONLY the corners... and then you can put up walls/doorways/ceilings etc.

Getting a base built with a metal door is a big step to being secure. Then you can start adding multiple doors inside your house for even more security. That way if someone does blow through the front door, they still have more to go through to get to your stash. The more doors the better.

Don't build too big of a house at first, and avoid windows at first. If you build a window, you HAVE to cover it with metal bars to secure it or else people will get in... and those cost 100 metal fragments each so they are not cheap. Metal doors cost 200 metal and those are the top priority.

Other things will come with time and experience. But top priority at first is:

1. Gather wood and stone and meat and cloth from chickens and pigs.
2. Craft a stone hatchet - gather more wood and stone. (Make a campfire and cook chicken on it - so you have food to eat).
3. Craft a wooden hut - wooden door - sleeping bag, crafting table, storage box and furnace inside the hut
4. Craft a better quality hatchet, using the metal you get from the furnace.
5. Craft some cloth armor, using the cloth you get from animals.
6. Craft a bow and some arrows.
7. Gather, gather, gather. Once you have enough resources, turn all your wood into wood planks.. and start crafting foundations, walls, ceilings, doorways, metal door. Then build your bigger base all at once.

When you have an actual wooden structure with wooden walls - those cannot be taken down with a hatchet. You have to use C4 to blow up a wooden wall. So it's a good idea to have multiple doorways inside your house, with metal doors separating them. That way if someone does blow through your wall, they still have to get through more doors to get to your loot. It's a good idea to put your loot in a box somewhere in the middle of the house, ideally needing to go through multiple doors to access it.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19540748 - 02/08/14 05:23 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
I need to figure out my in game mic.  I think on initial install I checked off the microphone not thinking its needed.  That few seconds at first contact voice would really help along with doing missions etc.  Lone wolfing it doesn't really work.

Still trying to figure a good location on the map for a base.  I don't want to be right in the middle of everything.  Seems like there are strong holds all along the coast and all around the center.  Seems like the only open ground is North.

I think I might have spawned at your base Shroomism.  I logged off standing in the part of the yard with no rads.

Oh I didn't know you were on our server. We did a total server wipe last night and started building a new base.

Are you talking about the tall wooden tower right next to Big Rad Town? If so yeah that's ours.

I don't think the clan would mind you building a base nearby as long as I let them know you are a friendly.
The mountains behind us would probably be a good spot. Or maybe we could get you in eventually but I dunno if they are accepting new apps atm.

And yeah having a mic helps some... if you run across people in the field you can yell "Friendly! Friendly!". That might get you out of getting shot in some cases. But lots of people will just KOS anyway. It's a good idea to avoid people at first. Like if you see them in the distance or coming towards you, run the other way. You gotta be very wary of other people in this game.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19540757 - 02/08/14 05:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the tips... it seems like the game will be fun once I understand how to play a bit better. So far it is one frustrating clusterfuck.

Had another person kill me again, lol. Kinda hard to collect shit when people with guns are just raping me, my rock is lolable

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19540775 - 02/08/14 05:29 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah... it was pretty frustrating for me at first too. I built a shitty base in a high traffic area and I was getting raided left and right. I would go on resource runs and come back with like 1000 wood and 200 metal ore, and get killed before I got back to my base. Multiple multiple times, I just kept getting killed over and over. I would farm a shitton of resources, and get killed almost every time before getting back to my base. It was frustrating as hell.

It gets easier though once you get the hang of it. I mean people will still KOS.. but once you have an established secure base and some resources and know the game a bit better, it becomes a ton more fun. It helps to get teamed up with other people so you can pool resources together, and go out resource hunting together. I know when our clan farms resources... a lot of times we go out in groups of 2-3, so one person is always guarding us and looking for other players while we farm. That helps a lot.. so someone doesn't just come up on you and blast you while farming wood.

But yeah, it also helps to farm during non-prime time hours.... or know the places to farm where not a lot of people go.

Once you get a little better.. get some guns and ammo and decent armor... then YOU can do the KOSing :yesnod:

It starts to get REALLY fun, if you can get in a clan, and raid people with C4. Busting into peoples houses, killing all the sleepers and stealing all their loot if half the fun of the game :yesnod:

Do note: Many servers are "Sleeper" servers. Ours is. Meaning when you log off, your character stays in the game and goes to sleep in the spot you logged off. Meaning as long as you are logged off, anyone in the game can come up to your sleeping body and kill you and steal your loot. Hence why it is essential to set up a secure base... and only log off inside your base.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19540827 - 02/08/14 05:39 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Also: RAD TOWNS are an ideal place to farm loot. You can find boxes with guns, ammo, med packs, blueprints.. pretty much anything. The problem is rad towns are often populated with other players farming them too. So best to farm rad towns during non-prime time.

When in a rad town, you build up radiation level. Once you reach 500 radiation, you start taking damage from it. So if you have no radiation pills or RAD gear, then run out of the town once you get about 300 radiation level or so. The radiation gradually goes down once you are away from the radiation.

Farming rad towns, you will find Rad gear which protects against radiation, and also RAD PILLS, which removes 200 radiation. Once you have a decent set of rad gear, and a bunch of pills.. you can essentially go in loops farming the rad town over and over without leaving. Just pop a rad pill every 30 seconds or so, once your radiation level gets to 300-400 and it will drop down .. then you can keep looping and repeating. If there is no one in the rad town.. this is the BEST way to get gear fast.

Last night I ran loops of the rad town and ended up getting 2 shotguns, a MP5, multiple P250s, tons of ammo, a full set of rad gear, kevlar pants blueprints... like 100 rad pills... tons of shit.. and this was only like an hour after the server did a total wipe.

Also you will find those red zombie dogs and bears in rad towns. Until you have a weapon, don't even bother with them... just sprint right past them, as long as you do not stop they cannot catch you. And they will not follow you inside structures.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19540851 - 02/08/14 05:44 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Oh fuck, really? I just logged off with some shit. I just found a gun (albeit no ammo... just 5 bullets which I had to use because a wolf was fucking with me and I was going to die of hunger anyway.

This is all pretty confusing, I'm gonna have to youtube this shit on how to do this stuff.

I see what you mean by the road connects to everything... seems like I should stay near the road but not on it when I want to get around. Before I just ran into a random direction and find myself 15 minutes into the woods not knowing WTF is going on.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19540868 - 02/08/14 05:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah the map is huge and it can be easy to get lost if you don't know the map well.
Like you said, best to stay somewhat near the road... but not right on it.. that way you can find your way around. It takes time but you will get to know the map better.

Also not all servers are "Sleeper" servers.. .some servers you leave the game when you log off. So ask in your particular server whether its a sleeper server or not.

--------------------

#19540922 - 02/08/14 05:57 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah  I logged on and noticed it was clean.  Thanks for the write up.  I even put in a request with CKA.

Got my shelter in some cliffs.  Waiting for morning to get enough wood and cloth for a stash and bag.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19540930 - 02/08/14 05:58 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I guess my biggest bitch is there is no compass to help direct you either. I suppose the game is still in development though. This game has no mercy towards newer players. I've tried asking for help but nobody seems interested haha.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19541132 - 02/08/14 06:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Me and mndfreeze could hopefully get you in CKA.. we are essentially noob recruits but I've been playing and raiding with them and helping every day since I joined so I think I'm in pretty decent standing. But you probably want to get a little bit more comfortable with it first

That wooden base is just temporary, we plan on building a massive metal tower right across from that rad town, and having a giant fortified compound like before.

And yeah Uzziel it's not super noob friendly. But you pick it up relatively quick. Read too. Watch a couple videos.

http://playrustwiki.com/wiki/Play_Rust_Wiki_-_Main_Page
http://playrustwiki.com/wiki/List_of_things_to_Craft

Map just takes experience.. ya it can be a bitch to navigate if you don't know the terrain. But use that second map I linked as a reference, you can visually see the rad towns - http://playrustwiki.com/images/f/ff/Newbie_Navigation_1.1.jpg

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19541338 - 02/08/14 07:43 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I'm picking it up pretty quick... I've got everything down decently well except navigating. I find myself going the wrong way more often than not. Not surprising since I just started though.

Pretty fun. I killed a couple of the assholes who killed me with a bow though. Man the bow was weird to use at first, but now I like it.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19541573 - 02/08/14 08:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah the bow takes practice.. since there is no reticule it's kind of wonky to aim..
but once you get the hang of it and can nail targets, it's a formidable weapon. As it does a lot of damage..
I believe it kills someone in 2-3 hits even if wearing kevlar. Can one shot someone with a head shot if no armor.

Although a gun is usually better for fighting other players (faster shots) unless you have nothing else.. then a bow is great.
Bow is best used for killing creatures silently, where gunshots will attract unwanted attention. Best to use your guns and save ammo for other players.

As for navigating the best way I found, was to just stick close to your base at first.
Only travel in a certain radius around your base for resources, repeat that until you are very familiar with the surroundings of your base. Then slowly expand out each time.
You can go exploring here and there, just make sure you know where you came from and which direction you go in.
It is possible to go so far off the map that you see nothing for miles, no creatures or resources, just endless mountains.
I've done that before and had to suicide as I was running for over a half hour and saw absolutely nothing but mountains.
Stick to near the road or near the coast and you are good.

--------------------

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#19542078 - 02/08/14 10:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeaaaaaaaaah if only you had said that earlier. I went so far North I was literally with nothing and had a ton of shit on me and didn't want to die. Ended up wasting a lot of time running back.

I figured out the bow pretty quick. 1 shot almost all animals with a headshot, don't know about bears, always took more than 2-3 to take one down.

I two shotted the guys with a bow and they had armor on, don't know what kind I forgot. It was blue. Bows are great because they are silent.... but I figured out the downside of it really quick.

A guy came right up to me and blasted the fuck out of me with a pistol before I could even shoot the bow... so there is that. Great fun.

Definitely worth a buy I think!

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#19542205 - 02/08/14 11:35 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

The only compass you really need is the sun and the moon, they both rise in the east and set in the west.

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Rust [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #19542251 - 02/08/14 11:58 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

To be honest I didn't even pay attention to that. Thanks for reminding me :thumbup:

I just had the funniest encounter with a guy. I wish I had recorded it. I just got trolled so hard by a group of 3 guys. I was hiding in my shack and had my fire going at night and they came by and started shit like OPEN UP OR WE'LL BLOW YOU UP....I kept tellin em I was new and to let me live lol well eventually they blew down my door and then gave me kevlar and a m4 and said surprise, happy birthday then they all ran away..................then killed me when I walked out to thank them. I should have known it was too good to be true.

:lol:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale