Home | Community | Message Board

ShroomSupply.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Amount of Agar and LME per glass
    #19234310 - 12/06/13 12:31 AM (7 months, 18 days ago)

Had a terrible time lately as all of my spore prints seemed not to be working for some reason! I tried many times taking care to make sure the water I was using for making the syringes was cool! Used them last year and they all worked fine but this year nothing will germinate I have wasted much grain and waited a month all for nothing! Strange thing this time was that the spores instead of clumping would always dissolve and this had never happened before, as they would always annoyingly be stuck to the side of the syringes! Does this indicate dead spores?

So I bought two new prints and tried again and this time the spores are all over the syringes again clumping up. I knocked up an LC and after 5 days there is still no growth so I am getting a bit worried again!

Don't really want to go ahead and knock up grain before seeing some growth so I want to try the spores on agar first. I will only use about 4 jars as I just want to see if I can get something to grow! Question is how much water, agar, and LME should I use for mixing up just one 250ml jar?

If these LC's don't eventually grow out I'll be well and truly scoobied! I cant think what I could be doing that would be killing the spores (from S.Vendor)! I always let the water cool first, and didn't do anything different than I did last year!

Could the air sanitizer I use kill the spores if I didn't wait long enough perhaps? Has some bleach water dropped down into the shot glass when making a syringe? Did the inoculation loop need to cool longer (doubt it as they cool rapidly)?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineForrester
medicine man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast, USA Flag
Re: Amount of Agar and LME per glass [Re: wolf8312]
    #19234550 - 12/06/13 01:41 AM (7 months, 18 days ago)

Quote:

wolf8312 said:
Question is how much water, agar, and LME should I use for mixing up just one 250ml jar?

For 250ml I would go:  7.5g DME, 5g agar, and wait lemme think.. 250ml water :wink:

What's with this LME (liquid malt extract) shit do people actually use that or are you guys just confused about the difference?  It's just DME (dry malt extract) with water in it, that's incredibly messy to deal with.  Use DME, it's much easier.  Also contains more sugars by weight as it has no water.  So to adjust, maybe add a little more weight in LME, but it shouldn't make that much difference.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Re: Amount of Agar and LME per glass [Re: Forrester]
    #19234844 - 12/06/13 03:34 AM (7 months, 18 days ago)

Really for one jar that much water/etc? I was thinking like a teaspoon of each (agar LME) with about 25ml of water?

OfflineForrester
medicine man
Male User Gallery

Re: Amount of Agar and LME per glass [Re: wolf8312]
    #19238456 - 12/06/13 11:03 PM (7 months, 17 days ago)

Sorry, you said for one 250ml jar, I thought that meant you wanted 250ml of agar :facepalm:  Just figure out how much liquid you want in the jar and divide up all the ingredients so it's the same proportions

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

InvisiblePastywhyteS
Say hello to my little friend!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #19238640 - 12/06/13 11:50 PM (7 months, 17 days ago)

I always though LME was light malt extract. However none of the brewing supply shops in my area have it (no one drinks light beer round here :wink:)

OfflineForrester
medicine man
Male User Gallery

Re: Amount of Agar and LME per glass [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #19238806 - 12/07/13 12:32 AM (7 months, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
I always though LME was light malt extract. However none of the brewing supply shops in my area have it (no one drinks light beer round here :wink:)

LME is liquid malt extract, DME is dry malt extract (which comes in extra light, light, dark, etc.)  So you can have light DME, dark DME, all kinds of varieties :lol:

For non-brewing purposes, the color doesn't matter.  But use dry, not liquid extract unless you wanna deal with the sticky-est messiest stuff ever.

--------------------

InvisiblePastywhyteS
Say hello to my little friend!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #19238815 - 12/07/13 12:35 AM (7 months, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Quote:

Pastywhyte said:

LME is liquid malt extract, DME is dry malt extract (which comes in extra light, light, dark, etc.)  So you can have light DME, dark DME, all kinds of varieties :lol:

For non-brewing purposes, the color doesn't matter.  But use dry, not liquid extract unless you wanna deal with the sticky-est messiest stuff ever.

:themoreyouknow:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation