Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread * 3
    #19058406 - 10/30/13 03:47 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Post why you think grow kits suck. Feel free to say whatever.

Go ahead and repeat what others have already said.

Just give your honest opinion.

The point is to drive home the idea that doing it yourself is better.

Whenever someone asks about grow kits, I will just post a link to this thread.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJMcDoogle
A Serious Scholar

Loc: Nunavut
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: SpitballJedi] * 6
    #19058511 - 10/30/13 04:07 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
The ego is nothing other than the focus of conscious attention.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: JMcDoogle] * 1
    #19058523 - 10/30/13 04:11 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

:lol: good idea

With grow kits you have no way of what you are really getting and if it will work. It's a waste of money. Use time tested methods advocated on this website instead

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Stromrider] * 4
    #19058652 - 10/30/13 04:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Grow kits turn you gay

Invisiblebulkgrownoob
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: eLeSDenes] * 1
    #19058848 - 10/30/13 05:17 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

It's kind of like if Heisenberg were to pay Jesse a shitload of money to cook for him. Why would you pay someone else to do something that you can do better, and for a lot less money?

Or maybe like an OCD person paying a cleaning lady to sanitize their house, and then leaving while the cleaning lady works.  Why would you pay someone to do something that you can do better, and for a lot less money, especially when you have no way of knowing if they did the job the right way until your money is already spent?

OfflineeLeSDenes
Mycelium Expander
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: bulkgrownoob] * 1
    #19058885 - 10/30/13 05:29 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

if you buy a grow kit basically you spend $50  for a plastic box filled with some fuckin seeds and some dirt. :laugh:

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: eLeSDenes] * 1
    #19058892 - 10/30/13 05:32 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

If you run in to problems, it's hard to get help because very few people use them.

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Invisibleanne halonium
jaguarette
Female

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #19058925 - 10/30/13 05:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

i see no good that comes from em......
its impossible, to package skill.

--------------------
:aliendance:

Edited by anne halonium (10/30/13 05:43 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: anne halonium] * 2
    #19059068 - 10/30/13 06:11 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

At least you know who to blame when you do shit yourself, great thread

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinemonoculture
Mycaddict
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: anne halonium] * 1
    #19059074 - 10/30/13 06:13 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think it's impossible to design a grow kit that would work fine.
As an example a small SGFC for about 4 cakes, delivered with perlite, verm and 4 fully colonized cakes.
Just following the PF-tek, that would make a more expensive kit than the standard kits, but after buying it the first time, refill kits can be offered of one bag of perlite, some verm and 4 new cakes.
That would ask more work from the sellers, but would give a product that would live up to expectations.

The reason the kits do not work is not that it isn't possible, but the fact they want to sell very cheap solutions for as much money as they can. A really good kit won't make that much money, as most fair products.
In the end, I bet they would pay off, because how many time would someone buy a kit that promises a lot more than it gives.

Invisibleanne halonium
jaguarette
Female

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: monoculture] * 3
    #19059147 - 10/30/13 06:33 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

the worst thing about kits is,
they promote a low standard,
and dont educate really....

we see peeps daily almost here,
that essentially say ..............

" um i got a kit, and its stupid, um, how do i grow em for real now"

ironically, 50$ spent on a kit,
magically makes em smart enough to ask us ,
how to REALLY grow em!

so in a way, kits might be helpful.
NOT.

--------------------
:aliendance:

Edited by anne halonium (10/30/13 06:34 PM)

Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: monoculture] * 1
    #19059435 - 10/30/13 07:23 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

You dont know what your jars or bags are going to be made of.

i got one set of jars from a non-sponsor, no idea what the hell they used... but it definitly came in pint jars, with perlite in it...

OfflineSizlChest
Padawan
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: blojo02184] * 2
    #19059594 - 10/30/13 07:46 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I had a grow kit all picked out and I thought "I'll try it before I spend that money and see if I like it, then buy the kit."  Yeah....I'm not gonna buy the kit, lmao.

SizlChest's 1st Grow

--------------------
PrimalSoup's Tea Tek

"I always say the tea is like eating a burning tire covered in dog shit while someone steps on your nuts. Good luck!"
"Hell, shrooms have blown up from under me and kicked my ass on 2 grams once."
"I think ill eat some shrooms right about now, and ill continue to until it doesnt feel like the right thing to do."

OfflineAndrew9115
Stranger

Loc: 710
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: blojo02184] * 1
    #19059653 - 10/30/13 07:54 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Okay so i saw this thread and instantly started laughing, it really was perfect timing:elmo:...Im going to admit to everyone im new to growing and actually purchased a grow kit from Midwest grow kits which arrive last monday( 10/21/2013, and i completely regret it :boo:

Once i finally opened the box i realized what i payed $100 for would only cost me around $40, and that i probably could have just ran to Walmart,pulled out the website on my phone and built the damn thing myself....I am not saying the quality of the kit is bad,or that the company themselves are bad, im just saying its very basic and definitely not worth the price

Ill end off on a good note though, Midwest's pre sterilized jars are fantastic however, and for a first time grow im showing some pretty promising signs of inoculation and no contamination ( knock on wood:blush:) So for all you noobs like me out there....DONT BUY THE KIT PURELY FOR THE FINANCIAL ASPECT....take it from a someone who learned it the hard way and just pull up a TEK from this site

Cheers!

--------------------

OfflineSizlChest
Padawan
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Andrew9115] * 1
    #19059663 - 10/30/13 07:55 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Andrew9115 said:
Okay so i saw this thread and instantly started laughing, it really was perfect timing:elmo:...Im going to admit to everyone im new to growing and actually purchased a grow kit from Midwest grow kits which arrive last monday( 10/21/2013, and i completely regret it :boo:

Once i finally opened the box i realized what i payed $100 for would only cost me around $40, and that i probably could have just ran to Walmart,pulled out the website on my phone and built the damn thing myself....I am not saying the quality of the kit is bad,or that the company themselves are bad, im just saying its very basic and definitely not worth the price

Ill end off on a good note though, Midwest's pre sterilized jars are fantastic however, and for a first time grow im showing some pretty promising signs of inoculation and no contamination ( knock on wood:blush:) So for all you noobs like me out there....DONT BUY THE KIT PURELY FOR THE FINANCIAL ASPECT....take it from a someone who learned it the hard way and just pull up a TEK from this site

Cheers!

^I was going to buy the $99 one.....sooo glad I didn't!

--------------------
PrimalSoup's Tea Tek

"I always say the tea is like eating a burning tire covered in dog shit while someone steps on your nuts. Good luck!"
"Hell, shrooms have blown up from under me and kicked my ass on 2 grams once."
"I think ill eat some shrooms right about now, and ill continue to until it doesnt feel like the right thing to do."

OfflineAndrew9115
Stranger

Loc: 710
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: SizlChest] * 1
    #19059789 - 10/30/13 08:12 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SizlChest said:
Quote:

Andrew9115 said:

Cheers!

^I was going to buy the $99 one.....sooo glad I didn't!

Good sir please do not! If anything buy the pre sterilized substrate jars but that's about it

--------------------

OfflineInTheBiggun
The Milk-Man
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Andrew9115] * 3
    #19060020 - 10/30/13 08:44 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I just scored a grow-kit...

OfflinefirstTimer213
n00b
Male

Loc: my house
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: monoculture] * 1
    #19060213 - 10/30/13 09:06 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

monoculture said:
I don't think it's impossible to design a grow kit that would work fine.
As an example a smallhi SGFC for about 4 cakes, delivered with perlite, verm and 4 fully colonized cakes.
Just following the PF-tek, that would make a more expensive kit than the standard kits, but after buying it the first time, refill kits can be offered of one bag of perlite, some verm and 4 new cakes.
That would ask more work from the sellers, but would give a product that would live up to expectations.

The reason the kits do not work is not that it isn't possible, but the fact they want to sell very cheap solutions for as much money as they can. A really good kit won't make that much money, as most fair products.
In the end, I bet they would pay off, because how many time would someone buy a kit that promises a lot more than it gives.

Just throwing it out there you can't sell colonized jars legally..

OfflineDeadPhan
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: firstTimer213] * 2
    #19060750 - 10/30/13 10:21 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

what i hate about them most, is seeing threads about them.  even if they turned out successful, i have no interest in seeing someones mushrooms that they got from getting some premade shit and watering it or whatever the hell you do. 

i like to see people learn some shit.  put in an effort.  i have a hard enough time stumbling upon PF Tek after PF tek threads.  so you can only imagine my distaste for Kits.  save your money!  invest in a PC, some jars, and so on.  its just too worth it.  like NAH420's sig says, "THIS HOBBY IS NOT FOR THE IMPATIENT! PLEASE BE PATIENT, DON'T BE A PATIENT!"

--------------------

Big Gulps!  Alright!  Well,  See ya later!
And if i claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that i dont know!

OfflineNovanity1
Student

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: DeadPhan] * 1
    #19060997 - 10/30/13 11:03 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I feel like if you're buying a grow kit you're most likely just in it for the drugs. It just shows that you're looking for immediate results and you're not willing to take the time to learn.

I remember, a couple years back, some of my friends buying spawn bags and inoculating them with ms. No one got any shrooms out of the whole ordeal. One dumb shit even opened the bag before it was fully colonized.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate