Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed * 2
    #19037519 - 10/26/13 08:00 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Realising the cognition in your brain is not separate from the information called reality 'outside' of it, is an exceptionally liberating realisation. The world will conform to the limitations you impose on it.

If everything sucks in life and it's meaningless, it's really an outcry for some better mood.

A better mood seemingly projects itself onto the visible world. If you can really spruce your mood up (with or without psychoactives), you're going to end up not with answers, not with less questions, but in a world in which everything takes on a certain significance and your quality of life will improve dramatically.

Discuss.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRaven Gnosis
𝔰𝔢𝔯𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔠𝔦𝔡𝔞
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necoc Yaotl
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: circastes]
    #19037760 - 10/26/13 08:46 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'd say that what you are saying is 'right', that the world doesn't inherently contain these qualities that are depressing, not everyone can walk up to a naked stone you used to mark the grave of someone you loved and feel depressed.

I think the things that have a tendency to depress us as human beings are often somewhat universal and when looked at can tell us a lot about ourselves and our species.

Better moods and fouler moods alike shape what we see and how we feel about it.

--------------------
To be human is to be fettered, to endure what one is, in perpetuum, no matter what the debility or perversity.

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: Raven Gnosis]
    #19039445 - 10/27/13 05:49 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

The culture that points their children nowhere is the world is it not? Those intelligent enough to notice that they are going nowhere get depressed right? I say the world is pretty damned depressing. I don't find that the information of outside reality not being separate from my brain particularly liberating at all. I'm still an animal that shits, fucks everything up and then dies.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: usulpsychonaut] * 2
    #19039462 - 10/27/13 06:15 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This is true.  I study the OPs overall posts and he invests a lot of energy in trying to prove that we can be physically immortal.  So his POV is based in fear of impermanence imo and without realism or balance and perspective. 

The issue imo is how to balance the wonder of life with the terror of life and so make your way through life on your feet so to speak.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineGoldenEye
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: Icelander]
    #19039518 - 10/27/13 07:07 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
and without realism or balance and perspective.

Please support these claims... you do make a case for the observations on the POV of OP but don't explain why this POV would be lacking realism, balance and perspective. Seems a bit unfair... :shrug:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: GoldenEye]
    #19039740 - 10/27/13 08:51 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I did explain and it's plain as day right there in my post.

--------------------

InvisibleRaven Gnosis
𝔰𝔢𝔯𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔠𝔦𝔡𝔞
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necoc Yaotl
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #19040014 - 10/27/13 10:02 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Why place the blame on culture as if it is at fault for the nature of things? There was never anywhere to go to begin with...
I think as the pattern seeking/making primates we are, culture is our futile response to this entropy that permeates all aspects of most known things.

Those 'intelligent' enough to see through it often suffer IMO because of how heavily invested most of humanity is to their groups specific cult of collective delusion.
Although one cannot not be a part of it after having been raised in it, such knowledge can move you to the fringes looking in, creating a sense of isolation.

I often feel very alone and desolate because of this, it's why I feel more akin to the sound of barren skeletons of trees gently swaying in the biting wind that hauntingly whistles through their branches than the cacophony of human conversation in a crowded space...

--------------------
To be human is to be fettered, to endure what one is, in perpetuum, no matter what the debility or perversity.

Edited by Raven Gnosis (10/27/13 10:26 AM)

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chicago Flag
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: circastes]
    #19040267 - 10/27/13 11:11 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I tend to agree with your OP to some degree. The world isn't depressing. It just is, and doesn't give a shit about us. The world's amoral.
We're the ones who make it depressing, and we're the one's who are upset with it. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to just be an emotional rock that doesn't experience sadness. I don't think one can have this supreme bliss without some form of sadness. Not only do I think that it's inhuman, but I also think that's impossible to achieve.
Maybe we can dissolve this feeling that we're separate from nature, but I feel that'd take a lot of work because we've kind of naturally been set up to feel as if we are someone separate from nature. (or at the very least, our culture promotes that) But who knows? :shrug: I understand it intellectually, and it makes sense, but it's real hard to connect that to my everyday experience of a human who can feel naked and alone in this vast and epic universe.

--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: r72rock]
    #19040695 - 10/27/13 01:02 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I think I've been misread.

When I say the world I don't mean the human world, I mean the perceived world.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Offlineusulpsychonaut
Male

Loc: Northland, New Zealand. Flag
    #19041044 - 10/27/13 02:16 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I agree that we are not separate from the world perceived or otherwise. This being the case, how could the world not be depressing? Everyone in depression is just as much in and of the world as everything else, if the world is not depressing then depression is somehow separate to the world?

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chicago Flag
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: usulpsychonaut]
    #19041108 - 10/27/13 02:30 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:
I agree that we are not separate from the world perceived or otherwise. This being the case, how could the world not be depressing? Everyone in depression is just as much in and of the world as everything else, if the world is not depressing then depression is somehow separate to the world?

Ohh! That's an interesting idea... damn. :strokebeard: Never thought about that before. I like it.

--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

InvisibleWhite Beard

#19041154 - 10/27/13 02:40 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:

Came here to say this.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#19041573 - 10/27/13 04:26 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:

--------------------

Offlinecheeshcat
Stranger

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #19042038 - 10/27/13 06:39 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

All these responses are so uninspiring. I feel ya, Circastes

Offlinejimiandtheshroom27
Lost in endless spirals.
Male

Loc: Flag
    #19045477 - 10/28/13 10:47 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

usulpsychonaut said:

By that logic, isn't the world pretty much anything? Its depressing because depressed people experience it as so, its fantastic because happy people experience it as so. So maybe Depressing= just one facet of the world?

--------------------
Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or just another lost angel?
City of Night, City of Night,
City of Night, City of Night, woo, c'mon

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: jimiandtheshroom27]
    #19045492 - 10/28/13 10:52 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

of course  although it's not black and white like you make that out.

--------------------

Offlinejimiandtheshroom27
Lost in endless spirals.
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: Icelander]
    #19045626 - 10/28/13 11:27 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Wasn't intentional, i know there are intermediate values between strong happiness and strong depression. I think Circastes makes a good point. Knowing how one's reality is so linked with one's mood can be liberating.    Knowing that what you believe to be the truth can actually just be a feeling you are projecting onto the world is helpful.

--------------------
Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or just another lost angel?
City of Night, City of Night,
City of Night, City of Night, woo, c'mon

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: It's not the world that's depressing, but it is we who are depressed [Re: jimiandtheshroom27]
    #19047125 - 10/28/13 04:54 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

And I agree as far as that goes.

--------------------

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

#19050136 - 10/29/13 02:14 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Well I mean if I sit at this computer long enough, what I see out the window in the backyard actually changes its nature or its depth of field, because during my stay at the computer my mood has changed. Reality and you are dynamic like this.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#19050740 - 10/29/13 07:04 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

tired eyes. :shrug:

But of course mood effects perception and there are other things influencing the process. Mood does not necessarily alter physical reality and usually not or never directly.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale