Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblecez
 User Gallery
Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: Icelander]
    #18981608 - 10/15/13 02:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

If there is consciousness after the recession of the brain, so what?
How does that do anything for us now?

I think when we die or the brain stops functioning, our essence is no longer the drops that are contained in the waterfall (you and I) but a return to the river or source.

I also think that's just nice to think about, I have no idea really :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYogi1
Squatchin

Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: Chronic7]
    #18982223 - 10/15/13 05:04 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The Chronic said:
The best 'evidence' to support it is that in many cases of OBE/NDE & even psilocybin studies the brain activity does not increase but rather decreases during an OBE, yet people experience a greater consciousness than that of normal day to day life

It lowers activity for full on dreming as well and dreams are full on alternate realities.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #18982373 - 10/15/13 05:42 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Yes and No. The answer is what Timothy Freke calls "Paralogical." The brain can be seen light other paralogical phenomena, such as light, which can be shown to be waves as readily as it can be shown to be particles. My intuition says that the brain certainly embodies computational abilities which can be demonstrated, but the brain can also be shown to possess capabilities of receptivity to phenomena outside of the senses, or of the intermediary combination of senses and reason (like Psi phenomena). Unfortunately, the latter aspects of the brain, while experienced subjectively and thus convincing to the experiencer, cannot be reproduced in controlled scientific ways. Why? Because these phenomena are not under the control of the ego. In fact, they tend to be perceived when one's ego has been depotentiated, thinned out so-to-speak.

The Huxleyan "Mind at Large" is not the possession of an individual. It is an expansive concept of mind better explained by Hindu or Buddhist forms of psychology, or even a Jung-Wilhelm-Pauli contribution which says that space-time itself has two aspects, and the other side to matter is psyche. Since psyche transcends space-time (it is not a 'substance' with extension in space and hence not in time either), then simultaneity can occur. Thought doesn't 'travel' like light, and hence there can be perception that contradicts linear time. Precognition - knowing the future is one example. Backward Causation - effecting the past from the future is another. Telepathy can be simultaneous when a radio wave halfway around the world still needs to travel at 186,142 miles per second leaving a slight time-lag, thought does not. Theoretically, thought can be linked simultaneously at any distance in the universe, but only future interstellar explorers will be able to test that hypothesis.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #18983082 - 10/15/13 08:00 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I think awareness is the primordial field.  I think beings of various dimensions and physiologies evolve to experience awareness.  I believe that when you look at this world you find weird creatures which are awarenesses of other realms using senses and exploring lives we cannot imagine. But they are the imagined and they have filled niches to expand the awareness' awareness.  I think the human brain can sit in purified awareness itself during meditation. I do not believe that only humans can do such. I have parrots and I watch one of them sit on her eggs at times for a week, and she is a meditation, and she also glows with awareness. I think the brain dies and the awareness of that being is dead. But awareness, the omnipresent field continues.  Can it be called life, without a brain?  I am sure there are other types of physiologies in the cosmos.  The way humans act, that is, not very special at all proves it. If we were truely special we would be better.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: eve69]
    #18984238 - 10/16/13 12:13 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

We're all fish in an Ocean of Consciousness. Most fish don't realize they're wet. :grin:

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineDeviate
Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #18984559 - 10/16/13 01:55 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Consciousness is like the screen on which all other phenomena come and go. The screen and the images on the screen are part of one eternal reality.

Offlinecrkhd
☾☼☽

Loc: A human sphere enfolding ...
Re: Does consciousness depend on the brain? [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #18985566 - 10/16/13 10:46 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Quote:

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particles of a atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of a atom together. We must assume behind this force  the existence of conscious intelligent mind, this mind is the matrix of all matter -Max Planck

EDIT: BTW this is just a idea Im entertaining.

This entire physical existence is a expression of that fundamental consciousness. When consciousness is condensed down into the lowest expression of itself it assumes the form of matter. Assuming the big bang theory is true which all evidence points to it being undoubtedly so.
  The conditions that enabled all matter and space to exist in a singularity would have to be present in all matter and space currently.
So wouldnt it be possible for the higher forms of consciousness to resonate with the lower ones, and simultaneously exist in the same space through dimensional separation?
What if the structure of the body and brain acts as a resonator that picks up and amplifies the resonance of higher consciousness and channels it into this lower state that is our perceived physical reality?
Upon death the connection would be broken but the information would not be lost as it never existed solely in the physical form.

Or maybe this is just the stoned ramblings of my ego trying to convince itself of its non-impermanence. Feel free to tear this idea apart. :jah:

Nope, you're correct and I can correlate as I have had this exact thought.

These days I work with anchoring higher consciousness into my body. It appears on electroencephalograph, that is a sufficient proof for me as if the entire universe and its incredible depth and complexity was not enough.

Reality is magnificently rich. We of this realm are part of the process by which the Infinite Richness resonates itself into permeating the entire spectrum of vibration, lowest to highest. If this were not the way it worked, it would not be Infinite Richness! The permeation of Higher into Lower and the consequent ascension is the very way in which Richness expresses itself, a continual distillation of the crude into the pure resulting in novel crudeness, which is then known to be pure by applying Richness. This you can see in the cyclical nature of things, for instance in the water cycle or in the evolution of creatures and the creations of creatures. Every new year the aesthetic always becomes more vibrant, crisp, snazzy. We are building an eternal Home for our Self.

That is to say; Infinite Clear Light => Universe Bang => Evolution of Universe => Infinite Clear Light Shining Through Infinite Matter (Eternity).

However this process has 'already happened' and it is the end point, the Eternity, which is 'going back in time' and animating itself into Being. The result is the flow of life as we see today, with all of our suffering. In a sense the Universe is infinitely 'stupid' as it is creating new Knowledge in real-time. A few thousand years ago creatures could not talk with the complexity of words we now do. The complexity we use now, will abide forever and evolve into further complexity and eventually this thing will reach infinite intricacy/complexity, and it will be Magnificent, Bliss-ful.

You can keep zooming into any single point in the Universe and it will go on, and on, and on, and on. Forever. That is its Nature.

In this sense you are both Omnipotent yet precisely what you are now, a limited fleshy being that is so sensitive that a blade of grass could threaten its survival.

"Theoretically, thought can be linked simultaneously at any distance in the universe, but only future interstellar explorers will be able to test that hypothesis." - MarkosTheGnostic

And this is exactly what I mean. It is already linked. You can fling your mind out to the distant stars and create a thought there. Knowledge of these kinds of things requires intricate meditative subtlety, knowledge of how Thought flows and permeates the Cosmos. A person would do well to understand biophotons if they wanted to know more, and a study of relativity/non-locality, visualising the dimensions. The other day I was talking to a friend about a certain something and a dude came out of nowhere and carried on the conversation where we left off. I felt as if I had known him forever, and well, I do for I am Thought before all things.

There is a generating aspect of it (Imagination) and a receiving aspect of it (Breath) and a processing aspect of it (Selfhood). But these are all one and the same: The Clear Light that is You

People must understand what Thought truly is. The thoughts we have in our minds, the linguistic voice, that is a mere breath, literally so, of the true depth of Thought. Thought is the animating fabric of the Cosmos, when you look at a cloud passing through in the sky, know that you are looking at a cloud of Thought, literally and figuratively and imaginatively and all other ways that end in -ly because you are Thought and your realm is Infinite Expanse of Potentialities... A tornado is a brilliant example, lightning too. Poetry in Motion, Be-Ing Musical Art

--------------------

"Everything there is, and all that there is, is a Pattern of unspeakable proportion. The Pattern contains everything that is, completely fixed in succession, all the minimal particles interconnected in every way that is. Every way that is is not every conceivable way, because not everything that can be conceived is manifest in the pattern."

"THE Human, you, is a miniscule but essential part of that pattern. In it lies complete fulfillment. It will never become something it is not, but it will never need to be anything else." - Wiccan_Seeker

"If boring drudgery was the way of the universe, everything would have killed itself long ago." - Spacerific

Edited by crkhd (10/16/13 11:00 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale