Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Onlinepsyconaught
Chemical Connoisseur

Loc: Western U.S.
"Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks"
    #18799304 - 09/04/13 03:43 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

This is one of the most asinine articles i've ever read relating to drugs
Quote:

Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks
By Piper Weiss, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – 2 hours 57 minutes ago
Email
Share51
Print

The Electric Zoo 2013 in New York City, linked to fatal Molly overdoses. (Photo by Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images …
Molly — the innocuous street name for a drug linked to at least three fatal overdoses in the past month — sounds more like someone’s great-aunt than an illegal substance. A better name for the designer drug, according to both drug enforcement and medical experts, would be “Russian Roulette.”
“When a buyer abuses something called Molly, there’s no way to tell what’s in it,” Rusty Payne, a spokesperson for the Drug Enforcement Agency told Yahoo Shine. “That’s the most dangerous thing about these drugs.”

More on Yahoo: Drug linked to three overdoses
The so-called party drug is believed to be responsible for two deaths and for sickening several more attendees of last week’s Electric Zoo music festival in New York, though final toxicology reports are still pending. Earlier in the week, Molly, which sells for $30 to $50 in capsule pill or powder form, was linked to another death at a concert in Boston.
“We’re seeing more people in the E.R., more people with toxic reactions and more overdoses from the drug.” Dr. H. Westley Clark, Director for the Center of Substance Abuse Treatment, told Yahoo Shine.
In its purest form, Molly (short for 'molecule'), is a crystallized and powdered form of MDMA, a mind-altering combination of research chemicals with euphoric, empathetic and heightened sensory effects which can last anywhere from 3 to 6 hours. But the unintended side effects range from depression due to the surge of serotonin the drug releases in the brain, to severe dehydration, elevated body temperature and rapid heartbeat. And that’s if the drug is pure.

More on Yahoo Shine: New synthetic drug every parent should know about
Born in a lab almost a century ago, road-tested in the ‘70s as a relationship elixir, and popularized in the ‘90s as the club drug Ecstasy, MDMA has had a Zelig-like history, form-fitting to the demands of the revolving counter-culture door. The latest version is marketed as a purer form of the substance, no longer cut with cheaper fillers like caffeine.  Molly is designed, at least in theory, for a demographic raised with a fear of contaminants. But experts chalk up much of that hype to clever re-branding.
As demand for the drug spikes, Payne tells Yahoo Shine, he’s seeing synthetic counterfeits, particularly Methylone, sold under the same name. Described by one Redditor as “Molly’s sketchy cousin,” Methylone is a synthetic drug in the family of bath salts. In a 2012 report published in a toxicology research journal, one woman who believed she’d ingested Molly collapsed at a concert after taking the drug, then returned to her feet before convulsing and later dying.

On Erowid, a site featuring personalized accounts of substance experimentation, one Methylone user recounts a trip that ended in an emergency room. “It’s difficult to describe how I felt, but to cut a long story short I felt like I was about to drop down dead, right then, right there,” according to the anonymous account. “I'd never been so sure in my life.“
“Over the last 3 to 5 years and even earlier, several hundred new or synthetic drugs made their way out of labs into the U.S,” explains Payne, who claims the ingredients are largely imported from China.
“Synthetic stimulants, whether it's ecstasy or bath salts, can produce psychoactive effects like agitation, insomnia, dizziness, delusions, seizures, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts, impaired perception of reality and that’s just the short term. Long-term effects are still being ironed out,“ according to Payne.
The most recent statistics show that ecstasy overdoses have more than doubled since 2004, with over 20,000 reports of emergency department visits in 2011. More than 50 percent of those admitted to the hospital with MDMA in their system were between the ages of 18 and 20, leading the drug to be labeled (as it was in the‘90s) a product of club culture.
“Dehydration and temperature regulation is a major issue,” Clark said of the drug, which depletes the body’s ability to retain fluid. “If it’s a particularly hot venue and you’re dancing, you tend to sweat and become more easily dehydrated.”
Still, he says, “You don’t get a uniform reaction and that’s the key issue. It depends on a person’s physiology…What’s more, the toxic reactions are not uniform, ranging from heart damage and liver damage, to loss of consciousness.”
While drug enforcement agents have had Molly on their radar for some time, the drug has just now come into mainstream consciousness, with references everywhere from Instragram hashtags and T-shirt lines to pop music. Miley Cyrus and Madonna have been accused of referencing the drug (Cyrus in a song and Madonna at a concert), but both have denied it. For parents, even those who came of age when X signified more than just a generation, hype around the drug is alarming, if not alarmist. “I’m not saying everyone is going to die if they take ecstasy,” says Clark. But he warns, “the drug can be dangerous to some people and we don’t know which people.”
Within the electronic music community, now fingered by some as ground zero for abuse of the drug, there are efforts to raise awareness of the risks.  On Twitter, a campaign was launched to ban T-shirts that promote the drug. Meanwhile, the staff at a popular EDM music website posted the following message to fans in the wake of the latest fatalities in New York.
“We have been hearing about people dying at shows for years, but as veterans of the scene, we always have this hope that we as a community have moved past inclinations to such irresponsible behavior,” reads the blog. “Sadly, this simply is not true.”
“We must never forget the double dose of reality the past seven days have brought upon our community. Three people are dead, and six have been hospitalized because of our own deficiencies as a community. Let this number be the only reason we need to force drug education and festival safety into the forefront.“

--------------------
Think for yourself, question authority

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesonamdrukpa
Wayfarer

Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: psyconaught]
    #18799418 - 09/04/13 04:17 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Family of dead high school player claims he was forced to practice until he collapsed

There is no form of recreation that doesn't tragically kill people somehow.

But I :lol:'ed at the rest of the article.

--------------------

Offlinedark3st
Stranger

#18799703 - 09/04/13 05:22 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Propaganda filled bullshitting dumb ass journalist.

--------------------
Back.. I'm going to do it...I'm getting sober from opiates ... I got weed, gabapentin, propranolol, and GHB, I have 100mg tramadol left. I can do this. I can do this.

OFINTQWGVGAKGCYKBUBX
free dark P. Tampanensis prints to ODD members.

no stamps atm

FREE SEEDS for ODD WCA  members ONLY

I have these seeds:
Orange, red, and yellow sweet peppers, Purple poppies, White Habanero, Yellow Thai, Bolivian rainbow peppers, milk thistle, red chilly pepper, HBWR.

Edited by dark3st (09/05/13 12:24 AM)

Offlinetheonlysun81
Long Time Lurker, Recent Member
 User Gallery

Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: sonamdrukpa]
    #18800580 - 09/04/13 09:09 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

sonamdrukpa said:
Family of dead high school player claims he was forced to practice until he collapsed

There is no form of recreation that doesn't tragically kill people somehow.

But I :lol:'ed at the rest of the article.

dude that's fine, high school sports brings us together and makes men out of boys

--------------------

OfflineSoundScape
Gutter-Rat
Male

Loc: Cleveland Ohio
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: theonlysun81]
    #18800816 - 09/04/13 10:14 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

its kind of ironic that the same article mentions both that MDMA was first synthesized nearly a century ago, yet also is calling it a new designer drug. also gotta love how doctors and cops alike both recognize that the most dangerous aspect of MDMA is that the user has nearly no way of knowing what they're buying, yet no one thinks to maybe, i don't know, legalize the drug and regulate the fuck out of it?

--------------------
.....And this is my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MDS13Droog

Offlinehuffinglue
tryin to stay sober
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: SoundScape]
    #18801029 - 09/04/13 11:08 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

This guy knows that molly and methylone are two different drugs right?... No.... its like if the title read 'weed is bad', and then talked about crack the whole article.

--------------------
I fucking hate grammer nazis! Yes, I can't spell. Yes, I don't have perfect grammer. I post from my phone and dont give a shit about people whose lifes are so boring they get off on putting people down for not having perfect fucking grammer, even though they know excactly what there saying.. Fuck You. It's just a ride mang...

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

#18801201 - 09/04/13 11:45 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Methylone is not MOLLY god damn it fuck off.

Offlineafrogus
hombre
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: Angel_Above]
    #18801417 - 09/05/13 12:32 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Sadly, too many people, users and reporters do think Molly is Methylone, because so often these days, what is sold as Molly IS Methylone.

--------------------
"Leave no turn unstoned":)

Offlineboneynerd
Mushway! EatFresh!
Male User Gallery

Loc: milkyway.usa
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: afrogus] * 1
    #18801510 - 09/05/13 01:03 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

because people do not understand common sense drugs.. simply put, because a street name pertains to a particular chemical does not mean it can pertain to OTHER chemicals sold under similar or same names.

simply put if you sell NIKE shoes, but someone sells you a fake NIKE shoe.. its still not a NIKE even though they called it that.

--------------------
"Your mama's grow was so contaminated, the shroomery got trich." :headbanger:
-SpitballJediS

"your a female, no one woulda cared you were naked,hell probably made someone's day, but I pull my balls out on a bus and im the bad guy.."
-Bishlap

OfflineFuckspice
Psychosis connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Loc: America's asshole
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: boneynerd]
    #18801617 - 09/05/13 01:42 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

this is just to scare old ladies into donating money to their drug war

--------------------

OfflineGoldenEye
Male
Loc: Amsterdam
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: Fuckspice]
    #18802266 - 09/05/13 08:38 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

In its purest form, Molly (short for 'molecule'), is a crystallized and powdered form of MDMA, a mind-altering combination of research chemicals

Uhm... no.

--------------------

The unexamined life is not worth living and the unlived life is not worth examining.

OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: boneynerd]
    #18802372 - 09/05/13 09:45 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

boneynerd said:
because people do not understand common sense drugs.. simply put, because a street name pertains to a particular chemical does not mean it can pertain to OTHER chemicals sold under similar or same names.

simply put if you sell NIKE shoes, but someone sells you a fake NIKE shoe.. its still not a NIKE even though they called it that.

Qft
I don't get how so many kids around my area just blindly take shit like this assuming it's pure. "Coke wouldn't be so bad, but they cut that with other drugs molly is pure though so that's alright, and i watched my guy test it with a kit."
That's cool, so what type of test did he use? Do you even know if he tested it? I could probably buy a urine test and make up some complicated procedure that proves this bag of sugar is pure molly. Half of these dumbasses around here don't realize with research chems these days there's a whole slew of shit that might not trigger a test, and almost any test simply says "yes there is some molly in here", not "this is pure and absolutely nothing else is in here go ahead and dose up." And the same people are dropping nbomes and act like i'm the dumbass when i say it's not acid. I always tell them if you really think it's acid just put 20 on your tongue, but don't say you didn't have a warning, acid shouldn't feel like anything on your tongue, and if there's a taste i just assume it isn't acid. Better safe than sorry.

--------------------
Correct me if I'm wrong.
If NSA is reading this then FUCK OFF!!

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: LuSiD enthusiast]
    #18802396 - 09/05/13 09:54 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

If someone needs to ingest a entire capsule of MDMA (Fuck off with this "molly" shit) then it's not pure MDMA.

Pure mdma requires  crystal at 0.1 to give a good 3-4 hour high.

This brown sugar crap getting sold on SR and some other variants are only around 65-70% pure which makes me wonder what they cutt it with.

Anyways.... Clearly no one has ever done pure MDMA and the only way to get pure MDMA is to manufacture it yourself or be buddies with a chemist.

Just want to add, if you know of someone selling re-press (anything) educate those dumb fucks about the dangerous of cutting substances with other substances and creating a entirely different chain of molecules. This is how people die, its not the drug.

--------------------

Offlineshopdropper
Professional Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sailing the sea of cheese
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: HybridprX]
    #18803224 - 09/05/13 02:44 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

ive been testing alot of different samples of peoples "molly" lately ive been seeing alot of BZP.  and a slough of other RCs its sad really...

--------------------
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME: no guarantees can be made about the accuracy of the information herein. The information dicussed in these posts is purely hypothetical, and for intelectual purposes only. Any similarity between internet chat and real life is pure coincidence.

:google:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: shopdropper]
    #18804144 - 09/05/13 06:56 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

There is a way to test whats in it. I hate these articles, why dont they discuss and promote testing kits or education.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

doja designs

OfflineImmortal JellyfishS
You and I, We Were Born to Die
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: snoot] * 1
    #18806138 - 09/06/13 05:07 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

This article was retarded. Ugh.

--------------------

Offlinejtronique
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: "Molly: An Old Drug With Terrifying New Tricks" [Re: Immortal Jellyfish]
    #18824327 - 09/10/13 07:12 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

And we're probably all angry because we've either known someone who accidentally dosed RC, or got accidentally dosed ourselves.

But the history of "doping" and not being able to provide the truth about said substances, is jarring.

It used to be very uncommon, but unfortunate indeed when a person in the 1970s would receive a joint laced with PCP.

In 2012, I had received a j that was either 1) not flushed of fertilizer at harvest, 2) used Roach spray as a deterrent or 3) sprayed with spice.

I am very fortunate that was only one episode.

This article is reiterating Harm Reduction on RCs with the street name of Molly. There are many other street names we should take extreme caution towards.

The problem is that the Holy Grail - the SSRI that was developed to make the substance curiously missing in today's "Faux Smurfs", had its genesis in RX. They could have regulated the fuck out of it.

However, Hoffman also had his chance, ....:smile:

So today , if you can count yourself among a follower of a lab tech of a great and germane, reputed source of anything, you should consider yourself very lucky.

As I'm very sure that most people here, do.

But there will be those, younger than us that will be prone to temptations and risks. The best things in life are worth waiting for - Sports was mentioned. That's a good one. "after the season's over, you take a walk in the woods with us...."

Give the person whom you are sitting, and asking questions, something to look forward to. Give them education. It counts.
:smile: J

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service