Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAbsolem0918
the wise fool
Male

spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip.
    #18658312 - 08/04/13 11:14 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

i have several plants growing in the garden including my favorite, cherry tomatoes  :homerdrool:

i have one big son of a bitch i keep in this huge pot. so anyway ive heard that an old school trick to growing good tomatoes is to let some milk sit out and go bad then water the plant with it. supposed to help them grow big and juicy. anyone else ever heard of this? or even understand why it might work?

and while im on the subject anyone got some good home gardening tricks they would like to share?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: Absolem0918]
    #18658340 - 08/04/13 11:22 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

InvisibleAbsolem0918
the wise fool
Male

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #18660850 - 08/04/13 09:25 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

so i guess no body grows legals?

:rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: Absolem0918]
    #18660905 - 08/04/13 09:40 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Grown tomatoes for a lot of years but never heard of the sour milk thing.  Interesting.  Probably some beneficials in there.

--------------------
Myco-tek

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#18661234 - 08/04/13 10:36 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

All I can add to this is egg shells and coffee grounds but I'm sure you've arleady done that.

Offlinehidenseek1
Its got all the dinks.
Loc: poop
Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: Stein]
    #18662578 - 08/05/13 08:54 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

i never heard of this, googleing i found a normal milk tek though

Quote:

You may have heard or read that milk is sometimes used to help grow tomatoes–and also squash.

Is it a fertilizer?

Milk contains calcium (Ca). Calcium is an important plant macronutrient. Macronutrients are foods that help plants grow and function. Calcium helps build plant cell walls which in turn allow the transport of other plant nutrients. Also calcium level in the soil controls the soil pH (pH is a chemical balance that allows plants to operate, or not). If calcium is washed out of the soil, the soil will become more acid and can affect plant growth. (Agricultural lime such as dolomite lime contains calcium.)

If you feed plants milk–whole milk or powdered milk–you are feeding plants calcium.

So milk can be a tomato plant fertilizer.

What else does milk do for plants?

Milk is a fungicide.

Old-time garden wisdom AND recent scientific plant research say that milk contains fungicidal properties. If you spray milk on plants, it will control the growth of bad fungi.

Fungi are microscopic organisms. A handful of soil contains thousands and thousands and thousands of fungi. There are good fungi and bad fungi. Good fungi help build the soil by breaking down organic matter into nutrients plants can use. Bad fungi are parasites that feed on plants. Bad fungi include mildews (downy mildew, powdery mildew), rusts, rots (root rot, damping off, fruit rot), canker, scab, spot (black spot and anthracnose), wilts (fusarium and verticillium) and smuts (and black sooty molds caused by black sooty fungi spores).

Fungi are spread by spores. They germinate and root much like plants. When a fungi takes root as a parasite on plant tissue it feeds and begins to grow. A fungus can be prevented from rooting and can be removed (prune off the infected plant tissue and throw it away in a paper bag so that the fungi spores do not spread). Fungi allowed to grow will spread via spores floating on the wind or swept along in a drop of water.

Fungicides rarely kill fungi. They are most useful as a preventive, not as a cure. Fungicides cover plant tissue and do not allow fungi to root.

Plant researches in Brazil and Australia have recently used milk as a fungicide on vegetable crops, grapes, and flower crops. They found that spraying a dilute mix of 1 part milk and 9 parts water prevented fungi from growing. (The researchers also believe that the potassium phosphate in milk helps boost the plant’s immune system and may also work as an antibiotic.)

Once again, milk–like other fungicides–does not cure fungal diseases but helps to prevent them. Milk keeps fungi from growing and spreading.

A note: skim-fat milk works best; the fat in whole milk may clog up your sprayer. As well, reconstituted powdered milk will work.

Tomato disease fighter formula: combine 1 part skim milk and 9 parts water. Spray the plant every two to three weeks until mid-summer (most fungal diseases have run their course by mid-summer, except where the weather stays warm and humid).

edit; heres some fourm talk http://myfolia.com/groups/46-tomato-lovers/topics/1529-whats-your-tomato-disease-prevention-routine/posts

--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Edited by hidenseek1 (08/05/13 08:56 AM)

InvisibleAbsolem0918
the wise fool
Male

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: Stein]
    #18663188 - 08/05/13 11:46 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:
All I can add to this is egg shells and coffee grounds but I'm sure you've arleady done that.

negative.
never even heard of that, do tell....

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
 User Gallery

#18663265 - 08/05/13 12:04 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

This whole thread is asinine.  Do not waste milk on your plants.  If you want to fertilize your plants, put some fertilizer on your plants.  If your plants have a fungus problem, put fungicide on your plants.  It is highly unlikely that you will ever grow a plant with calcium deficient soil.

InvisibleAbsolem0918
the wise fool
Male

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: SmOakland]
    #18665475 - 08/05/13 09:27 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
This whole thread is asinine.  Do not waste milk on your plants.  If you want to fertilize your plants, put some fertilizer on your plants.  If your plants have a fungus problem, put fungicide on your plants.  It is highly unlikely that you will ever grow a plant with calcium deficient soil.

Quote:

Milk contains calcium (Ca). Calcium is an important plant macronutrient. Macronutrients are foods that help plants grow and function.

the proof is in the pudding man.

and i did try this. with milk that was already spoiled when i thought of using it.

--------------------

InvisibleCapers
Man About Town
Male

Loc: United States Flag
    #18675754 - 08/07/13 09:51 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

He's right though. You shouldn't have let the milk spoil in the first place. Just buy fertilizer or manure.

Offlinespore baby
Male

#18689376 - 08/10/13 11:39 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I have a garden going on a sister's place that
is doing better this year. I do believe that
last year's addition of leaves,moss and dark
forest topsoil to be the reason. The garden
soil now looks more alive than ever before.

In taking all of my soil amendments from
3 forest locations, I probably inoculated
the garden with all kind of goodies. You
only need a bucket of good forest soil
to inoculate. So please don't over
harvest.

If you have access to a forest try it
for yourself. I can assure you it won't
hurt your plants.

Edited by spore baby (08/10/13 11:44 PM)

InvisibleAbsolem0918
the wise fool
Male

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: spore baby]
    #18690442 - 08/11/13 08:32 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

spore baby said:
I have a garden going on a sister's place that
is doing better this year. I do believe that
last year's addition of leaves,moss and dark
forest topsoil to be the reason. The garden
soil now looks more alive than ever before.

In taking all of my soil amendments from
3 forest locations, I probably inoculated
the garden with all kind of goodies. You
only need a bucket of good forest soil
to inoculate. So please don't over
harvest.

If you have access to a forest try it
for yourself. I can assure you it won't
hurt your plants.

my neighbor does something similar but much simpler.
he just puts the cut grass from mowing the lawn on his garden, and every year after harvest he burns the field down. the ash is great for the soil.
he grows these pumpkins, fuckers get so big we have to move them in groups of 3 people at least just to get them in the back of the mower trailer.

--------------------

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

#18695539 - 08/12/13 01:21 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

"Compost tea" works great for my tomatoes/garden. Lots of recipes are on the net. I use a worm castings/guano mix.

Worm Farm Idea

Offlinekyoto
greenman

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: human experience]
    #18715446 - 08/16/13 04:38 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Rock dust, worm castings, regular compost, seaweed powder, coffee grounds (at the end of the season), organic liquid fertilisers, willow "tea" extract(after transplanting),mycorrhizae and other beneficial fungi and bacteria and about any natural/organic stuff you can find.

I try to add smaller doses of lots of different organic and natural soil additives, I prefer this over adding loads of the same ferts.
I believe by doing this i can cover a wider range of nutrients, trace elements and minerals.

--------------------
" Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda

TRADE LIST
https://www.cactusplaza.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/12234/

Offlinebrianstequila
Sir John Falstaff
Male

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: kyoto]
    #18762808 - 08/27/13 07:49 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Im simple, I compost all year, mix that with hpoo, blood meal and bone meal. Then I take the ashs from my fireplace and spread it all out then till it up. After I plant i set my drip irrigation and I spread newspaper out on everything with a layer of straw on top of that. Even during the drought I was getting large harvest of everything.

--------------------
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson

Not My trade list i aint got shit anymore
:drunkdriver:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19161913:drunkdriver:

OfflineMoody Vaden
Strangler

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: brianstequila]
    #18784409 - 09/01/13 08:26 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I read an article a few years back in AcresUSA claiming that raw milk  applied to pastures raised the brix levels in grass for grazing cattle on. Brix is basically the level of "sweetness". I started applying raw milk kefir to my tomatoes, with very good results. Vigorous growth, very healthy fruit set, etc...  Plants seem all around more healthy than average. Sweeter fruit? I don't know, I've never done a side by side.  My tomatoes seem to have much more flavor than my neighbors.  It's not the calcium I am after, the majority of our soils have ample amounts. It's all those little micro-beasties swimming around in raw milk doing their part in the food soil web that I am after.

Offlineinvitro

Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: Moody Vaden]
    #19309141 - 12/21/13 07:11 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It sounds like your breeding lacto bacillus culture, practiced in korea for some time now. 

I'm about to try this myself, all I need is a brix meter now.

OfflineMisterCoOo
A Cat.
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: spoiled milk grows better tomatoes? share your gardening tip. [Re: brianstequila]
    #19376294 - 01/06/14 08:32 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

brianstequila said:
Im simple, I compost all year, mix that with hpoo, blood meal and bone meal. Then I take the ashs from my fireplace and spread it all out then till it up. After I plant i set my drip irrigation and I spread newspaper out on everything with a layer of straw on top of that. Even during the drought I was getting large harvest of everything.

Good call on the newspaper pre layer for weeds. My only concern would be air exchange to the soil. How many layers thick do you use?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract