Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
You could probably just use 80 proof and be fine, your final mixture if half tincture / half decoction should be 20% alcohol which is enough. I can't think of anything in the absinthe that would hurt anything though
Make sure to calculate your volumes so that the final mixture is over 20% abv and you're good to go!
-------------------- Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them? Try this double extraction method.
Quote: thcisme said: I'm going to make a reishi mushroom tincture but I can't get everclear, grain alcohol or basically anything over 40% in the UK (80 proof) HOWEVER someone I know is willing to sell me a bottle of absinthe which is 72%.
Would this work okay? I know the alcohol content should do the job but Would any of the herbs in absinthe interfere with the extraction?
Here's what I'm planning to do:
(1) Shred 500g of dried reishi and fill the jar approximately half full. I have a fairly huge jar that holds 2.5 liters / half gallon
(2) Fill to the top with absinthe.
(3) Leave this to brew for approximately 5 weeks shaking and stirring periodically.
(4) Strain the tincture and place in a bowl.
(5) Simmer the leftover reishi in a pot with water for about 2 hours to extract the polysaccharides.
(6) When finished ill add this water back to the tincture.
Is that it or am I over simplifying things here? Any help would be appreciated.
Is distillation feasible? If you really want to use absinthe, anything that has a high abv will work, but you might get some funky flavors.
I've been reading how vitamin C helps with the absorption of polysaccharides so I'm curious would it be a good idea to add vitamin C powder to the jar? and if so should I add it from the start or the finished tincture?