Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Loc: Quetico, Canada
Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: KingCloyster]
    #18593494 - 07/22/13 09:04 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

No offense taken frank :smile:
I'm just looking for something faster and better than a spores syringe... The wait for colonization for the jars and the tub was almost unbearable :'(

I'm gunna have to look into this Agar>jar technique, I had no clue that was even a possibilty.

--------------------
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushdance::mushdance::sporedrop::sporedrop:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: KingCloyster]
    #18593504 - 07/22/13 09:08 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You just cut a wedge from your petri and use the scalpel blade to transfer it to the master grain jar. Then grain to grain from there.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18593561 - 07/22/13 09:26 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Nice! I know this is off topic from the thread but while I have your attention, after your g2g jar is used up from like 15 transfers or so. Can u just.keep one of the new jars as a new master grain jar? And how many times can u do this without changes to the genetics? Or is it infinite?:laugh: which would be fuckin awesome

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18593589 - 07/22/13 09:36 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingCloyster said:
Nice! I know this is off topic from the thread but while I have your attention, after your g2g jar is used up from like 15 transfers or so. Can u just.keep one of the new jars as a new master grain jar? And how many times can u do this without changes to the genetics? Or is it infinite?:laugh: which would be fuckin awesome

Off-topic? This is your thread, you can talk about whatever the hell you want! :cool:

It took me a minute to get what you are asking, but I got it.

I transfer one quart jar into eight.  From there, you can use all eight as spawn or you can use one to eight jars for an additional G2G transfer.

G2G will not reliably "reduce" genetics in any way that will help you get an isolate. MS Master -> MS g2g jar.

I personally take a wedge and inoculate a quart of grains, then use that quart to inoculate a large filter bag containing seven quarts of grains. That bag is used for spawning to a sub.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #18593607 - 07/22/13 09:43 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingCloyster said:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13235240#13235240
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18593632 - 07/22/13 09:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info frank. Your a hell of guy. 
But I meant after you have you transfer your isolate to a grain jar, that becomes your master grain. Then you use the master grain jar to do 8 g2g transfers.  Can anyone of these newly nocd jars become your next master grain "isolate culture jar" and can you just keep doing this over and over?  There is probably an easier way to keep the same isolate but I figured I ask

--------------------

InvisibleUhurungus
Avoiderer of Bullshit
Male

#18593645 - 07/22/13 09:52 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Quote:

Notahacker420 said:

Sometimes genetics has everything to do with having "fuzzy feet".

This is true in my experience as well, though I can usually still reduce them somewhat if I have good FAE.

:takingnotes: point taken, thanks for the info

--------------------
I'm never 100% on anything, just close enough to risk looking foolish.

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #18593660 - 07/22/13 09:55 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

KingCloyster said:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13235240#13235240
RR

So RR, your saying its a matter of using slants and petri dishes?

--------------------

InvisibleUhurungus
Avoiderer of Bullshit
Male

Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: Uhurungus]
    #18593668 - 07/22/13 09:57 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

frank, how large of a wedge do you transfer into a single quart jar?

1/4 plate, 1/6 plate, 1/8 plate etc

--------------------
I'm never 100% on anything, just close enough to risk looking foolish.

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: Uhurungus]
    #18593687 - 07/22/13 10:03 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingCloyster said:
So RR, your saying its a matter of using slants and petri dishes?

You use slants to save your cultures so that you can fruit them for years and years with no loss of performance.

These are my slants a few months back, colonizing:

My grows go like this:

Master slant -> Petri dish -> Master grain jar -> G2G bag -> Bulk substrate.

You keep the slant in the fridge at 40F and it will stay viable for a very long time.

Every time you want to grow that culture out, you just transfer a small piece of mycelium from the slant to a petri dish and there you go.

Quote:

Uhurungus said:
frank, how large of a wedge do you transfer into a single quart jar?

1/4 plate, 1/6 plate, 1/8 plate etc

I use 3 section dishes:

I usually just inoculate one master per compartment, or I slice each in half. So each petri gives me 3-6 master jars.

--------------------

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#18594155 - 07/22/13 12:07 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I feel like taking the slant out of the fridge, letting it warm up for a day and opening it would increase the risk for contams and fuck up the mycelium. But I guess I was wrong.

Do u cut the petri wedges into small pieces when doing Agar to master grain transfers? Or just throw the whole wedge in and shake at 25%?

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18594190 - 07/22/13 12:15 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingCloyster said:
I feel like taking the slant out of the fridge, letting it warm up for a day and opening it would increase the risk for contams and fuck up the mycelium. But I guess I was wrong.

Do u cut the petri wedges into small pieces when doing Agar to master grain transfers? Or just throw the whole wedge in and shake at 25%?

The slant is just storage for the mycelium.

You certainly need to seal it, wrap the cap, and protect it from temp swings by placing it in an insulated lunchbox.

You only want to open it under aseptic conditions in your SAB or in front of your hood. You take a small transfer either with a scalpel or an inoculation loop and move it to a petri dish.

The idea is to have a pure culture before inoculating grains. That means an extra transfer to get away from "old" mycelium that was moved over from your slant.

You grow the first dish out and transfer the young, healthy mycelium from the outer edge of the culture. Move this to a new petri dish and discard the other plate.

Then you will grow out the mycelium on that second dish to inoculate a master jar(s) with.

If there are contaminants present on the first dish, you simply take the transfer sooner. You will then grow out that plate and assuming no new contams appear, you take another transfer to a third plate. This is ensuring a pure culture is obtained.

This may be a bit long-winded, I apologize. I'm on painkillers for my back this week.

:iamderp:

I don't personally slice my wedges into more than one piece. I want to inoculate that jar as quickly as possible and get it closed again. I shake the hell out of it after inoc, and then again at 20-30%.

--------------------

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

#18594204 - 07/22/13 12:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You da man frank.  5 stars comin ur way.

--------------------

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #18594578 - 07/22/13 01:54 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KingCloyster said:
Thanks for the info frank. Your a hell of guy. 
But I meant after you have you transfer your isolate to a grain jar, that becomes your master grain. Then you use the master grain jar to do 8 g2g transfers.  Can anyone of these newly nocd jars become your next master grain "isolate culture jar" and can you just keep doing this over and over?  There is probably an easier way to keep the same isolate but I figured I ask

I don't know if you got an answer for this yet, but yes, you can use your newly inoculated g2g jars as master jars. The cycle can continue forever.

I use a master to knock up 7 or so new jars, through g2g, then I use one of those 7 to knock up another 7 jars, etc, etc.

--------------------

OfflineKingCloyster
Forest Mushroom 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: Monotub size, number of holes. Using coir, vermiculate, gypsum with WBS [Re: ganjfather]
    #18594830 - 07/22/13 02:53 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

No no one answered that question yet! It's Christmas on this thread, 5 stars to you too!

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18594926 - 07/22/13 03:12 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
I transfer one quart jar into eight.  From there, you can use all eight as spawn or you can use one or more jars for an additional G2G transfer.

G2G will not reliably "reduce" genetics in any way that will help you get an isolate. MS Master -> MS g2g jar.

I personally take a wedge and inoculate a quart of grains, then use that quart to inoculate a large filter bag containing seven quarts of grains. That bag is used for spawning to a sub.

:shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale