Home | Community | Message Board

The Hawk's Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Beef Jerky, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Silica Gel, Vacuum Sealer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDynamite089
n00b
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Shroom Shelf Life?
    #18550283 - 07/12/13 09:14 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I did some research, used the shroomery 'search' tool, and found out that shrooms have a very good shelf life, and even after an entire year are still good to eat.

I'm making this post just to DOUBLE CHECK.

How long on average can shrooms be stored away? Dried ones. And how do you store them properly?

The reason why I ask is because SWIM is getting shrooms and needs to tuck them away for a month or so!

SWIM has kept dried shrooms in ziploc bags before and kept them in a dark place, and he said sometimes the shrooms look like they shriveled up more and more each day.
He also does not want to risk getting sick from shrooms that have been sitting around too long.

Please help

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMisterSandman
Meth Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Meth
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Dynamite089]
    #18550290 - 07/12/13 09:16 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

If they are cracker dry then yeah a year sounds about right.

Sealed plastic bag or mason jar should work just fine.

--------------------
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." -Nietzsche

OfflineMushie23S
Strictly Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northwest Washington Stat...
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: MisterSandman]
    #18550322 - 07/12/13 09:23 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I've definitely had some that were a year old and had a grand ole time. 
Lovely how "Magic" Mushrooms car last a year or so...can any other fruits or vegeys do that after sitting out so long?

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

Offlinerickjamez20
Shroomer
Male

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Mushie23]
    #18550351 - 07/12/13 09:30 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mushie23 said:
I've definitely had some that were a year old and had a grand ole time. 
Lovely how "Magic" Mushrooms car last a year or so...can any other fruits or vegeys do that after sitting out so long?

Well, magic mushrooms need to be dried in order to stay preserved. You could dry fruits and veggies and they would last a long time, but I wouldn't want to eat 1 year old vacuum sealed and dried lettuce :haha:

--------------------
http://iacopoapps.appspot.com/hopalongwebgl/ - If you're tripping click here. Thank me later.
Every single person deserves a psychedelic experience, make it happen. :smile:

OfflineStuyvesant
Stranger

Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: rickjamez20]
    #18550427 - 07/12/13 09:48 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I had some one and a half year old dried shrooms and they were still magical. The shrooms had been kept in a zip lock bag in a dark place at room temperature.

OfflineThe5thElement
It's Beat Y'all
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Stuyvesant]
    #18550482 - 07/12/13 10:03 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

We all know SWIM is you so cut that stuff out.

Tell the rest of the noobs to knock it off too.  :oldman:

OfflineRen
Found in a World of Illusion
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: The5thElement]
    #18550742 - 07/12/13 11:17 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I would really recommend a mason jar or totally air tight container (has to be burped). I just ran into an issue with some older dried fruits that were totally bunk. I stored them double bagged in a safe in a closet and they lost all their potency.

Not saying that is the norm, but it can happen...

--------------------

This is a shared account, everything posted by us is entirely fictional for purposes of social experimentation and exploration.
For Trade and In search of Plant list

OfflineArchenemy_6
Stranger
Male

Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Ren]
    #18550922 - 07/13/13 12:09 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

one afternoon i was home alone and tripping and had nothing to do so i kept telling myself i need jars and desiccant to store my shrooms! so what did i do? i went out and bought some big ass half gallon jars and also walked around lowes looking for some damp rid until i got a little frustrated and lost and just ordered some prepackaged desiccant packs online. now i have like 3 or 4 in each jar with cracker dry shrooms dried with my dehydrator and stored in a drawer. I have no worries anymore about how long my shrooms will last. I think they'll last long enough for me.

--------------------

OfflineDynamite089
n00b
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Archenemy_6]
    #18572381 - 07/17/13 07:04 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Thanks for all of the replies. Keeping them in a mason jar sounds like a good idea.

Cheers & good vibes  :mariopeace:

--------------------

Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Dynamite089]
    #18572411 - 07/17/13 07:12 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board=2&Number=11060725&page=0&what=showflat&fpart=1&vc=1&q=1&replystamp=1374102723
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Cracker dry, then seal in vacuum bags.  I have some that have been sealed for nearly ten years now.  Every year we break out a bag and sample the contents.  They're still just as good as the day we bagged them.  Each bag gets a food-grade silica gel packet and a food-grade oxygen absorber packet.  That's the key to indefinite storage.  Ziplock bags are gas permeable so eventually the desiccant will saturate with moisture and the mushrooms will be ruined.  Vacuum bags are a total seal, as are mason jars, which also work if you'll pull a vacuum in them.
RR

In another page he comments on those decade old packs saying they are from 1998. Go figure.
BTW just a side note on oxygen absorbers and silica gel packets. Oxygen absorbers contain (if i recall correctly) iron rich clay that contains moisture. This moisture causes the iron to rust which pulls the oxygen out of the packs. Back in the day when I tried it, it ended up causing cracker dry veggies to become bendable.. It threw the moisture off. If its properly sealed in a vacuum bag and its cracker dry id probably just throw some silica packets in before hand and call it good. But thats just me. Oxygen absorbers are generally used in non vacuum environments like bags of jerky.

--------------------

Edited by deformedreality (07/17/13 07:17 PM)

OfflineArchenemy_6
Stranger
Male

Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: deformedreality]
    #18572766 - 07/17/13 08:55 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I think a half gallon sized mason jar will hold around 2 ozs depending on how tight you pack them and the only thing thats a pain is getting them out especially if you're trying to keep them intact.

--------------------

OfflineMushyromeo
n00b
Male

Loc: NC Flag
    #18573250 - 07/17/13 10:41 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ren said:
I would really recommend a mason jar or totally air tight container (has to be burped). I just ran into an issue with some older dried fruits that were totally bunk. I stored them double bagged in a safe in a closet and they lost all their potency.

Damn....I have 10 grams of cubes in a zip loc bag sitting in my mason jar in my closet. Do you think I need to do something?

--------------------

InvisibleGlobal_Roaming
purity of essence
Male

Loc: over the fucking rainbow....
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Mushyromeo]
    #18573471 - 07/17/13 11:33 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Cracker dry whole, broken or powdered in a thick zip loc baggie, inside a larger zip loc baggie with a desiccant sachet, inside an air-tight spawn jar with another sachet of food-grade desiccant - all done in an air conditioned room (for low RH). Wrap the jar with tape to block out light and stick it in the fridge.

Might be a little OTT, but that's how I roll. Too much hard work goes into raising those suckers to risk anything else.

--------------------
/peace out brothers and sisters
:aweyeah:

OfflineRen
Found in a World of Illusion
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: Mushyromeo]
    #18575082 - 07/18/13 10:40 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Mushyromeo said:
Quote:

Ren said:

Damn....I have 10 grams of cubes in a zip loc bag sitting in my mason jar in my closet. Do you think I need to do something?

I've never heard of it happening like that before, I think it was an abnormal case. Could have been really weak to begin with or something...

--------------------

This is a shared account, everything posted by us is entirely fictional for purposes of social experimentation and exploration.
For Trade and In search of Plant list

Offlinezzripz
Stranger

Loc: Manchester, UK
    #18575093 - 07/18/13 10:45 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I have heard that best way to preserve them--magic mushrooms for a long time is to grind them--once dried of course--into a powder and then put in airsealed containers: Question, HOW much longer with they last in that state in comparison with whole dried shrooms in air-sealed containers?

Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroom Shelf Life? [Re: zzripz]
    #18575326 - 07/18/13 12:06 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zzripz said:
I have heard that best way to preserve them--magic mushrooms for a long time is to grind them--once dried of course--into a powder and then put in airsealed containers: Question, HOW much longer with they last in that state in comparison with whole dried shrooms in air-sealed containers?

Ive read about that as well, my understanding is it creates a larger surface area for oxygen to react with which would cause them to go bad quicker. If i recall correctly when people do that they create a lot of powder and fill a small jar to its brim packed tightly with powder then close it off. That way no oxygen is present.

Can never go wrong with a vacuum sealer. Its like a dehydrator, worth the investment.

--------------------

Offlinezzripz
Stranger

#18575742 - 07/18/13 01:56 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deformedreality said:
Quote:

zzripz said:

Ive read about that as well, my understanding is it creates a larger surface area for oxygen to react with which would cause them to go bad quicker. If i recall correctly when people do that they create a lot of powder and fill a small jar to its brim packed tightly with powder then close it off. That way no oxygen is present.

Can never go wrong with a vacuum sealer. Its like a dehydrator, worth the investment.

So your saying the powders is best...? Its just your first bit is confusing me. AND of course you would not use ALL the powder, but spoonfuls of it at a time and this would leave sapce in the container...?

Is that what they is called--vacuum sealers? Do you have a link with pics of them please? Does it mean that say you had powder and just used a percent of it that these sealers would vacuum seal whatever amount is left?

Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18575792 - 07/18/13 02:09 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Im saying vacuum sealing the whole intact cracker dry shrooms with silica packets would be best. But I am aware of the powdering idea and that some people like to do it that way and i assume those are people who dont own a vacuum sealer.

You could make a tea and freeze it in an icecube tray then bag them in the freezer for later. Make chocolates and keep in freezer for later.. or even make an alcohol tincture and store it in freezer for later. But for LONG TERM storage Id put my "eggs" in the vacuum sealed silica packet fortified bag in back in a dark corner of the basement "basket"

--------------------

Edited by deformedreality (07/18/13 02:11 PM)

Offlinezzripz
Stranger

#18576519 - 07/18/13 05:07 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

please show me website I can get these 'silica packets' from?

Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18576523 - 07/18/13 05:09 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Beef Jerky, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Silica Gel, Vacuum Sealer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience