Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBBBlack
Modular, Cancel, The color grey
 User Gallery
Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which?
    #18528832 - 07/08/13 07:48 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

At the moment I have a mini mono in the middle of fruiting its first flush, created exactly as described in Doc_T's thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10713572/fpart/1/vc/1 . The only difference is that mine is a 12x12x12 tub. Same hole size and spacing - 1/4" hole every two inches. This is a horse manure / straw substrate at three inches thick.

The issue I'm having is that caps are opening on pins. It started out with one or two, but now I'm noticing more and I want to try and keep this from happening any longer, if that is possible once the pins have already appeared.

From what I've read, caps opening too soon is due to either too much water or too little, but I'm having difficulty figuring out which option my tub is suffering from. When colonization had finished but before pins appeared, I misted sporadically but not heavily - my gut tells me it wasn't enough. At one point, a good bit of space in one of the corners of the substrate got blue with bruising, indicating a lack of moisture. The sides of the substrate have all pulled away from the sides of the tub, which I understand can mean a dry sub or proper consolidation. Not certain which.

The possibility of the prematurely opening caps being due to a lack of moisture came to my attention a couple days ago, so I've been misting heavily since then, with a particularly heavy one last night which may or may not have directly lead me to waking up to at least three or four pins with newly broken veils.

This all has caused me confusion to the point that I haven't any idea whether I'm watering too much or or too little, because signs of each seem to be present. I realize my one heavy misting last night didn't necessarily cause these new cap openings, and that perhaps even after that soak there just still isn't enough water and those caps were going to open anyway. There is plenty of moisture visible on the surface of the mycelium while avoiding pooling water.

A vantage point in this issue is that I'm getting a good amount of side pinning, and lots of water drips from the walls after misting, landing in the crevices along the edges. This might hint at something.

My lighting is undoubtedly fine. The tub is getting plenty of FAE in a proper manner. I live in Colorado, so ambient humidity is on the low side. Humidity in the tub is being provided by an ultrasonic with a hose attachment whose nozzle opening is pressed right up against a hole on one side of the tub, shooting the mist directly into the tub and maintaining 90% - 100% RH. Funny thing is that on the substrate surface right below the hole that the hose has been shooting humidity through, there is the biggest pin in the whole tub. It's the largest by a good margin. Granted, it was also the first pin that popped up. But moisture tends to build at the connection point between the hose and tub wall, sometimes creating a stream of water that could have easily dripped down the inside of the tub wall and given that one area the water it needed to push out a big pin like this one. And it doesn't appear that its veil is opening... Hm...

If there is anything anyone can add here to shed some more experienced light on this matter, I'd be quite grateful. I want to try my best to get the hefty number of pins that I have been blessed with to grow into mature, meaty mushrooms.

Edited by BBBlack (07/08/13 07:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: BBBlack]
    #18528875 - 07/08/13 08:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Pics, please.

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: mpd]
    #18528993 - 07/08/13 09:11 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hopefully these are of good enough quality that they can be of some use. Figured I'd post a good handful rather than a few since their quality may be questionable. There is a a very light layer of vermiculite, which should explain the spottiness you may be wondering about. One picture shows the bruising I mentioned, but it appears green in the photograph. It's blue in life!

Hopefully something can be gathered from these:

Edited by BBBlack (07/08/13 09:15 AM)

OfflineTheApprentice
back at it
Male User Gallery

Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: BBBlack]
    #18528998 - 07/08/13 09:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Looks dry.  I would mist more.  I mist my tubs every time I think about it.:zaphod:

--------------------

RR Videos -Best $9 Ever Spent *
No Pour AGAR Tek Easy COIR Trays! *
Pink Oysters on Newspaper TEK

"Yeah?  Well, DRACULA called... and he said he's coming over tonight, and I said OK!" :mastershake:

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: TheApprentice]
    #18529013 - 07/08/13 09:20 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Read one of Roger Rabbit's posts that mentioned pouring water along the spacing between the substrate and tub walls, and letting it soak in. I've been thinking about doing this, but I wouldn't want to waterlog it if it is indeed suffering from too much water, then the whole thing would be ruined.

I'll wait for some more opinions based on the pictures and then decide whether or not to go through with the soak.

Edited by BBBlack (07/08/13 09:21 AM)

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: TheApprentice]
    #18529040 - 07/08/13 09:30 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

They certainly like the side conditions better, the center appears to not had enough consistent evaporation.  If you're sure they have enough FAE then it's probably too dry.
If this is from spores I would guess funny genetics.  Occasionally I've seen these in like a 'half-flush' between normal caps.

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
    #18529060 - 07/08/13 09:39 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BBBlack said:I'll wait for some more opinions based on the pictures and then decide whether or not to go through with the soak.

With so many pins a drastic change in atmosphere like that might anger some of them.
IMO mist more times per day and let this set finish, then soak/dunk to rehydrate.

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: StygianKnight]
    #18529068 - 07/08/13 09:43 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StygianKnight said:
They certainly like the side conditions better, the center appears to not had enough consistent evaporation.  If you're sure they have enough FAE then it's probably too dry.
If this is from spores I would guess funny genetics.  Occasionally I've seen these in like a 'half-flush' between normal caps.

You're right - lots more going on around the edges, and lots and lots of side pins. I was actually using an oscillating fan whose trajectory went across the path of the tub at a distance of about eight feet. I had it going like this up until about three days ago. My feeling is that it could have dried up the substrate a good bit. The fan is now pointing away from the tub. I'm thinking that even this might be too much, as the water that is left on the insides of the tub after misting disappears pretty quickly even with the humidifier running. I'll turn the fan even further from the tub and see what happens.

These are in fact spores, and I did read about the possibility of genetic funniness. Certainly not out of the question.

Quote:

StygianKnight said:
Quote:

BBBlack said:I'll wait for some more opinions based on the pictures and then decide whether or not to go through with the soak.

With so many pins a drastic change in atmosphere like that might anger some of them.
IMO mist more times per day and let this set finish, then soak/dunk to rehydrate.

Point taken!

Edited by BBBlack (07/08/13 09:48 AM)

Offlinefirst time expert
practice makes perfect
Male User Gallery

Loc: top of mount washington Flag
    #18529095 - 07/08/13 09:59 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

some of my b+ do the same thing. Genetics play a big role how shrooms develop.  You sub does look a bit dry tho.

--------------------

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
    #18529252 - 07/08/13 10:57 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like it's leaning toward dryness at this point. Will keep misting, but more opinions would be a great help!

I can't help but wonder if the mushrooms will keep getting taller and meatier even if their cap opens early. I swear one of the pins whose cap opened has kept getting taller... Even if this did happen, would dropping spores become an issue?

Edited by BBBlack (07/08/13 11:06 AM)

Offlinefirst time expert
practice makes perfect
Male User Gallery

Loc: top of mount washington Flag
    #18529853 - 07/08/13 02:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

they will continue to grow even if the caps are open. The spores dont drop untill they are fully developed. Just keep an eye on them and the gills will darken up when the spores are getting ready to drop.

--------------------

Offlinevanislandshroomer
Innocent Bystander
Male

Loc: Vancouver Island Flag
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: first time expert]
    #18529964 - 07/08/13 02:36 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I was gonna say genetics, but by the look of the myc. I'd say you have a bacterial issue as well. Regardless, my first flushes tend to produce many mutants. The second flush should look alot nicer :super:

--------------------
http://

Edited by vanislandshroomer (07/08/13 02:37 PM)

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: vanislandshroomer]
    #18530267 - 07/08/13 03:47 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

vanislandshroomer said:
I was gonna say genetics, but by the look of the myc. I'd say you have a bacterial issue as well. Regardless, my first flushes tend to produce many mutants. The second flush should look alot nicer :super:

I've been having concerns about bacteria from the get-go with this grow. Excess metabolites during jar colonization, etc. Definitely more metabolites than what is typical. I don't doubt the possibility of an infection at all.

Will bacteria always manifest itself into something dangerous and/or detrimental? Or is it possible that this grow could move on through a good few flushes without the bad bacterial effects surfacing?

Edited by BBBlack (07/08/13 03:49 PM)

OfflinePhosCap
Gratuitous Heavenly Grace
 User Gallery

Loc: Tartary
    #18530308 - 07/08/13 03:58 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

if the mycellium is the dominant organism then bacterial invaders shouldn't pose a problem. you may have a few spots within the substrate that the myc cannot take over. Its a potential possibility.

--------------------
Psychoactive Fungi of the World        TLs            Franks teks and Tips        Stonesun's..
Spitballs Quick Rye Prep

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: PhosCap]
    #18530578 - 07/08/13 05:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

phosi said:
if the mycellium is the dominant organism then bacterial invaders shouldn't pose a problem. you may have a few spots within the substrate that the myc cannot take over. Its a potential possibility.

Makes much sense, thank you.

And thanks very, very much to all the others who have posted in this thread. It been a great help so far.

One thing I've noticed, and it could just be a coincidence, but after having upped the amount of misting these past couple days, and focusing on the edges as well as the middle area of the substrate, new pins seem to be popping up in that middle area. This possibly hints at the fact that my substrate was indeed low on moisture.

Going to keep misting as much as possible, while staying cautious of over saturation. In addition to those middle pins appearing after increasing the amount of misting, the growth of all the pins in the tub seems to have sped up. Could just be my imagination, but my gut tells me they're moving a little quicker now.

Thanks again to all. Feel free to add anything else that you feel may be of some value - I'm still learning!

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #18530641 - 07/08/13 05:16 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I understand that evaporation may be a pinning trigger but seriously humidity seems to be my pinning trigger. If there's side pins it's because there's not enough humidity on the surface. That's why we made the wax paper and bubble wrap tek. Never over fan/over dy the substrate. Mushrooms just LOVE water and humidity.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: Mad Season]
    #18530801 - 07/08/13 05:43 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly.  We want humidity and air exchange.  Evaporation is a pinning trigger, but that moisture must be replaced to prevent the substrate from drying out.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #18530888 - 07/08/13 05:58 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
I understand that evaporation may be a pinning trigger but seriously humidity seems to be my pinning trigger. If there's side pins it's because there's not enough humidity on the surface. That's why we made the wax paper and bubble wrap tek. Never over fan/over dy the substrate. Mushrooms just LOVE water and humidity.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Exactly.  We want humidity and air exchange.  Evaporation is a pinning trigger, but that moisture must be replaced to prevent the substrate from drying out.
RR

Understood.

Spent most of today experimenting, and have come to this exact conclusion. My sub was dried out due to too much fanning, and although humidity wasn't low, the excess fanning didn't allow the moisture to be replaced or remain long enough to be of proper benefit to the mushrooms' growth.

I'm definitely not imagining the surge of growth in my pins, and it was not a coincidence that it occurred as I was misting more and providing less FAE. I've found a good placement for my fan that keeps things moist but fresh in the tub.

As for the early cap opening of the pins, I think it's fair to say there was a lack of water. I'm also thinking that some of it is due to mutation, as many of the prematurely opening caps display the lack of a veil which I am understanding to be a mutation in of itself. So perhaps this was a combination of not enough moisture and some first-flush mutation.

Hoping my increase in misting will allow the pins that haven't yet opened their caps (there are very, very many - far more than ones that have opened) to stay that way and mature in a normal manner. If not, there are more flushes on their way, so we're looking good at this point.

Extremely grateful for all this useful information provided by my fellow growers.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #18531915 - 07/08/13 09:47 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Post pics of mature fruits. Even mutations are beautiful :thumbup: congratulations on making it this far

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

InvisibleGretchenmeister
Starbeing/Psilocybin Savant
Female User Gallery

Loc: From the Stars
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: Mad Season]
    #18532128 - 07/08/13 10:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Really... transpiration of gasses from the substrate is a trigger. Yes H2O as a gas evaporates from the surface of the myc, but saying that evaporation of water is a trigger kinda bugs me for technical purposes haha.

Monotubs were originally designed as a "set and forget" set up.  It boggles me why an ultrasonic is being utilized as the main source of humidity.  Three inches of bulk sub, especially manure based, should be sufficient to sustain the humidity in a mono of your size. If your holes are properly placed then heavy co2 gasses will be passively filtered out your bottom air holes, if you have proper filter material on them, humidity should be mostly retained in your fc. 

If the middle/center is getting pooling on it from droplets falling off the lid...elevate one end of the mono with a book or something...so the droplets slide to the side of the lid and down the edge of the tub, back to the bottom where they can be reabsorbed by the tub.

Some people will argue that condensation inside your tub is not an indicator of humidity. I will agree except I will say total lack of any visible condensation inside your fc is a good indication the rH is too low. You do after all have a green house effect going on which in turn fuels its own "water cycle". Remember 4th grade science?

You refer to the project as a "mini mono", but it looks like bulk in a sgfc to me.  Monos have a few larger filter covered holes , rather than many small unfiltered ones.

--------------------
What's wrong with folks?

Point your IRC client to irc.socialirc.com, port 6667, #cultivation and #shroomery for live chat with like minded hobbyists and connoisseurs.

Mush Porn

InvisibleGretchenmeister
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: Gretchenmeister]
    #18532130 - 07/08/13 10:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

People forget that misting is done to replace the moisture lost during fanning more so than to "water the substrate" lol.

--------------------
What's wrong with folks?

Point your IRC client to irc.socialirc.com, port 6667, #cultivation and #shroomery for live chat with like minded hobbyists and connoisseurs.

Mush Porn

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: Gretchenmeister]
    #18533315 - 07/09/13 07:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
Post pics of mature fruits. Even mutations are beautiful :thumbup: congratulations on making it this far

Appreciated. Will do!

Quote:

Gretchenmeister said:
Really... transpiration of gasses from the substrate is a trigger. Yes H2O as a gas evaporates from the surface of the myc, but saying that evaporation of water is a trigger kinda bugs me for technical purposes haha.

Monotubs were originally designed as a "set and forget" set up.  It boggles me why an ultrasonic is being utilized as the main source of humidity.  Three inches of bulk sub, especially manure based, should be sufficient to sustain the humidity in a mono of your size. If your holes are properly placed then heavy co2 gasses will be passively filtered out your bottom air holes, if you have proper filter material on them, humidity should be mostly retained in your fc. 

If the middle/center is getting pooling on it from droplets falling off the lid...elevate one end of the mono with a book or something...so the droplets slide to the side of the lid and down the edge of the tub, back to the bottom where they can be reabsorbed by the tub.

Some people will argue that condensation inside your tub is not an indicator of humidity. I will agree except I will say total lack of any visible condensation inside your fc is a good indication the rH is too low. You do after all have a green house effect going on which in turn fuels its own "water cycle". Remember 4th grade science?

You refer to the project as a "mini mono", but it looks like bulk in a sgfc to me.  Monos have a few larger filter covered holes , rather than many small unfiltered ones.

Thanks for the words. I understand the difference between an actual monotub and a shotgun, but this one was said to be a bit of a hybrid. Note the link to Doc_T's original thread upon which my tub/chamber was based. After my experience with this grow, which mind you has not been at all unsuccessful or negative, I'll likely be building a full-on monotub for better results.

I added the ultrasonic after it became apparent that humidity was quickly declining, which I have now of course realized was due to my excess fanning and lack of misting. Your second post, which notes the fact that misting is for replacing moisture lost as water evaporates from the sub, and not "watering the substrate", is a concept I've gotten a good grasp on through this experience. At the time I chose to use the ultrasonic, I hadn't fully connected the dots as far as the proper use of misting.

But here I am now, learning, and that's what this is all about. I'm actually still fine tuning my fan placement to allow evaporation but to maintain humidity, though I'm realizing the fan may not be the only factor. I may tape up half of the total number of holes in the tub to see what that does for humidity. After this first flush, I'll dunk and keep up on misting for humidity's sake. Colorado's humidity is of course very low, but it's also clear that the number of holes in the tub just allows too much air exchange and only constant misting will be able to keep up with the amount of humidity that is lost with proper FAE. Hence the need to tape up some holes. Of course now that I've rehydrated the substrate a fair amount with my make-up misting, there's a chance humidity will stay up, as long as I maintain an effective misting schedule.

In short, it's all making sense now :thumbup:

Thanks again to all.

Edited by BBBlack (07/09/13 07:25 AM)

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
    #18533669 - 07/09/13 09:52 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Taped up about 90% of the holes, leaving three at the bottom of each side open, one at the top of each side, and the holes at all four corners of the lid. Humidity is staying locked at about 90%, which is great. May move the fan or tape a few more holes to try and get somewhere closer to 95%.

Will continue to mist accordingly.

:kittywalk:  :copypasta:

Fruits are still quite small and caps are opening all over the place. Going to wait till the second flush to decide whether or not it's genetics or a lack of moisture. Small or not, there are plenty of mushrooms growing, so this isn't a disappointment at all.

Wondering about one thing, however -

The bottom row of holes in the tub are two inches above the substrate surface, no less. Would it be ideal if they were lower? I remember reading that C02 is heavier than air and collects at the bottom, causing the need for holes at the bottom. But I think I also recall a post of RogerRabbit's saying that this was misinformation. Any advice pertaining to this would be appreciated!

Edited by BBBlack (07/09/13 09:59 AM)

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18533681 - 07/09/13 09:56 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BBBlack said:
Taped up about 90% of the holes, leaving three at the bottom of each side open, one at the top of each side, and the holes at all four corners of the lid. Humidity is staying locked at about 90%, which is great. May move the fan or tape a few more holes to try and get somewhere closer to 95%.

Don't tape any more than half the holes or you are going to need to fan that thing out every hour.

You are going to smother them. Lack of FAE is way worse than low RH, which can be easily fixed by misting as the cakes dry up on the surface.

Mist until it glistens. Fan. Wait til it no longer glistens around the edges of the substrate. Repeat.

Doc_T's MSG tub is not very popular because it requires too much maintenance and tends to dry up too fast IME. 

You could try cutting it into a monotub :wink:

And ditch that hygrometer, judge the need to mist by the way the surface looks. When the edges look dry, mist.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18533704 - 07/09/13 10:05 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Quote:

BBBlack said:

Don't tape any more than half the holes or you are going to need to fan that thing out every hour.

You are going to smother them. Lack of FAE is way worse than low RH, which can be easily fixed by misting as the cakes dry up on the surface.

Mist until it glistens. Fan. Wait til it no longer glistens around the edges of the substrate. Repeat.

Doc_T's MSG tub is not very popular because it requires too much maintenance and tends to dry up too fast IME. 

You could try cutting it into a monotub :wink:

And ditch that hygrometer, judge the need to mist by the way the surface looks. When the edges look dry, mist.

Even with a fan running constantly?

Thanks for these tips Frank. I used your guide for a few steps in the process of creating this tub, notably pasteurization and mixing in the spawn.

I have actually thought about trying to transfer this grow to a proper monotub. Will keep it in mind, though it may be more of a hassle than what the grow is worth.

Surprised to be getting permission to get rid of the hygrometer! I like the go-with-your-gut approach much more when it comes to just about everything, but the mushroom growing process seemed too precise to be able to do that. Maybe not. It would be quite a relief to not have to obsessively look at that dial every twenty minutes...

Edited by BBBlack (07/09/13 10:11 AM)

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18533718 - 07/09/13 10:11 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

No problems, my man. I wish you the best of luck.

When I ran Doc's rig a few times, I had to turn the fan off.  I'm not sure but I think he says you shouldn't run a fan either...it operates via the same kind of airflow a SGFC does.

Honestly if you have the substrate in a liner I would take it out, tape up the holes and drill the tub into a mono :thumbup:

:goodluck:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Caps opening prematurely due to over or under watering - how to tell which? [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18533741 - 07/09/13 10:24 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

^^ My sub unfortunately is not in a liner. There may be some workarounds however...

Frank, I will say one thing: I like your approach to all this. You say, "ditch the hygrometer" and "No time for old info. This is the new shit." Solid understanding of essential technical information from a good source is necessary, of course, but once the basics are imprinted in one's mind, then it's time to use instinct and to experiment. I've admittedly been obsessing over this grow, and it's been getting tedious and almost mind-numbing. This was an important learning process, but now I feel I understand the basic mechanics of the bare necessities of mushroom growth and how our man-made mechanisms are supposed to provide those things. So now I can kind of let it flow... Still gotta watch and think, but there's more intuition involved, which is the language I speak :thumbup:

The mushrooms probably like it that way too.

Edited by BBBlack (07/09/13 10:26 AM)

InvisibleGretchenmeister
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18536160 - 07/09/13 07:55 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You could put micropore on all of the holes imo. 
Quote:

BBBlack said:
^^ My sub unfortunately is not in a liner. There may be some workarounds however...

Frank, I will say one thing: I like your approach to all this. You say, "ditch the hygrometer" and "No time for old info. This is the new shit." Solid understanding of essential technical information from a good source is necessary, of course, but once the basics are imprinted in one's mind, then it's time to use instinct and to experiment. I've admittedly been obsessing over this grow, and it's been getting tedious and almost mind-numbing. This was an important learning process, but now I feel I understand the basic mechanics of the bare necessities of mushroom growth and how our man-made mechanisms are supposed to provide those things. So now I can kind of let it flow... Still gotta watch and think, but there's more intuition involved, which is the language I speak :thumbup:

Invaluable experience :smile:  Knowing the parameters for each stage, and meeting them, is key..no matter the size, shape, of bucket, box, tub, tray, etc etc...

--------------------
What's wrong with folks?

Mush Porn

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
    #18538243 - 07/10/13 07:21 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Gretchenmeister said:
You could put micropore on all of the holes imo. 
Quote:

BBBlack said:

Invaluable experience :smile:  Knowing the parameters for each stage, and meeting them, is key..no matter the size, shape, of bucket, box, tub, tray, etc etc...

Right - no matter the container, they're all just doing the same thing, heading toward a single goal.

And on a good note, my tub is finally dialed in solid. Took off all the tape, so the whole thing is open. Turned off the fan completely (you were right Frank). After a good mist, humidity tops at 95% and slowly decreases to no less than 80%, which is totally fine. Then I mist again, etc. I'm imagining three or four mists per day will keep it running, which is fine with me. I live in a sort of studio apartment with a back door leading onto a patio, and since it's so hot these days I leave it cracked, and I think that provides good FAE.

You all led me in the direction that would ultimately bring me to this point, so I'm appreciative beyond belief.

This first flush came out a little staggered, so I harvested all the early cap openers about ten minutes ago - some were starting to sporealate. There are a good handful of big meaty ones with veils on the brink of tearing - likely this way because of my increased misting - that will probably be ready for harvest by tonight or tomorrow morning. After picking those, I'll give the cake a good dunk and hope for a bigger second flush!

Thanks again.

Edited by BBBlack (07/10/13 08:45 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder