Home | Community | Message Board

Sublicious Farms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HPS, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblebotha
iStoned
Male

Is this bridgesii???
    #18422786 - 06/15/13 12:48 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Hello shroomery!!!

Title says it all, look at the pictures and help me to identify these cactii :smile:

Thank you !!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenicechrisman
Eyes of the world
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: botha]
    #18422805 - 06/15/13 12:55 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I don't think so, but they are kinda young. They may not be showing the bridgesii characteristics yet.

--------------------
"Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace."

—Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

My cactus prep method- http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19629432

OfflineSse
Saṃsāra

Loc: Interdependent Co-arising
    #18422881 - 06/15/13 01:19 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

what's the most amount of spines you count to an areola? I see some bridgesii seeming traits on some of those areolas(the 3 or 4 similar length spines going in different directions.) Looks like a possible bridgesii atm but it's always difficult to be certain at this size.

--------------------
"Springs of water welling from the fire"

"Life may seem to flee in a moment, but when the mind is freed of the veil of ignorance, and illusion that comes between the mind and the truth, life and death are only opposite sides of the same coin - "water welling from the fire."

"Within us, we carry the world of no-birth and no-death. But we never touch it, because we live only with our notions."
-Thich Nhat Hanh
instant
"Experience always goes beyond ideas"

Offlinenicechrisman
Eyes of the world
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: Sse]
    #18422889 - 06/15/13 01:21 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

All my bridgesii have 4-6 ribs

--------------------
"Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace."

—Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

My cactus prep method- http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19629432

Invisiblepurpledropper
ishdunkenflunked
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #18423055 - 06/15/13 02:21 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

It looks similar to some bridgesii hybrids that I have. If it is a hybrid, you're going to have a great deal of trouble correctly identifying it. It is very nice, though.

--------------------
"Now there's a look in your eyes like black holes in the sky."

Invisiblebotha
iStoned
Male

Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: purpledropper]
    #18423331 - 06/15/13 03:35 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

sounds kina homo...

Invisiblepurpledropper
ishdunkenflunked
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #18423423 - 06/15/13 04:00 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Oh, it's very homo. :confused:

--------------------
"Now there's a look in your eyes like black holes in the sky."

Invisiblebotha
iStoned
Male

Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: purpledropper]
    #18423903 - 06/15/13 05:48 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

purpledropper said:
Oh, it's very homo. :confused:

Sorry

Offlineintelligentlife
Arctic Human
Male User Gallery

Loc: EU
Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: botha] * 1
    #18426145 - 06/16/13 04:52 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I say there is some kind of bridgesii formation. Propably hybrid where t. bridgesii is mother/father cactus for these seedligns.

Also your cacti are too young to say anything. Grow them in good conditions over two-three years and then post picture and ask.

Seedlings are very hard to say and more harder makes it cause light amount and growing habitat makes very much difference to cactus and same plant can be very different cause of not enough light or full sun grown.

Your cacti seems they have not got full sun much. Also they are too small to ID but they looks like bridgesii. I have read all over internet that t. bridgesii (e. lageniformis) has 1-3 huge central spines, usually one and this kind of growth occurs in seedlings too. But in fact, spines are growing very different depend on light intensity.

Trust me I have experience with cacti and lack of natural light cause of my location. Cactus can be very different even they are from same plant cuttings. Root bound, light levels and soil in someway effects to cactus appearance.

In greenhouse or outdoors where cacti can grow. They grow what they should be and only adult cactus can be ID.

I don't know how many times I have write ID requests like this but that's the way it goes. Even artificial light spectrum effects to cactus appearance with spines and so on so identifying trichocereus is impossible without all information. Is it grown at windowsill and if its, how much sun it gets, how much clear sky there are visible from window they are growing and if articial lights are used, what kind? led, fluoro, HPS, MH or combination of different spectrum of light.

I have tested and best result to get cactus like in the wild is to use HPS(yellow-red) and MH(blue-white) lights together to get it like in sun. If you ask ID without telling environment and show seedlings you ask something impossible.

Rib amount doesn't tell anything, spine color doesn't tell anything and amount of spines doesn't tell anything if environment and light spectrum (if grown under artificial lights) is not know. I can "fake" easily bridgesii "seedlings" from any tricho I want using combinaton of my light bulbs so... what is it? ..looks these are seedlings collected from t. bridgesii but what cactus pollen has got in to bridgesii flower. If it is not from t. bridgesii it is hybridized tirchocereus and deal with it.

Can I ask, do people want to know ID of trichos cause they want to grow mescaline containing cacti or what is the deal with this?

Why astrophytum growers doesn't ask so much and just make hybrids and name them by on their  own and don't care alkaloids can cause that only mother and father plant is enough to know. I know astophytum growers makes much of hybrids or pollinate same species to produce same astros. They usually know the name of hybrid and original plant and all it matter what they looks. I am sure alkaloid content causes this flood of tricho ID treads.

Shoomery's moderators should make some document or solid tread with many cultivars and use lots of pictures for people who needs to ask about tirchocereus identification cause there are no straight answer, however some solid information trichocereus thread should be made where are accurate information what is trichocereus.

Also pictures from trichocereus from idfferent environment, light amounts and light spectrums, natural light grown and so on. ...so if someone want's to know what trichocereus they probably have it would be good to have just one information thread with lots of pictures and information about hybridized specimens. Also if someone have knowledge about alkaloid content, it should be said what plant is probably active but no dosage/ingestion information. Only information of hybrids and possible alkaloid contents (if it's know by someone) ..Also if these kind of solid thread can be made, it should be made by cooperating with lots of cultivars around the world. Maybe that helps cause tircho ID flood is sick and no one seems to know that year is 2013, they have lots of demand for drug, grafting stock of ornamental so hybridization has gone so far without keeping record of mother plants that is is very hard to today talk about anything accurate. only speculation after speculation.

I do not say this as offensive but people should really understand that if they have trichocereus without vendor know where it's from, why in the hell someone else can know 100% sure? And what is the point of know what it is, want to grow then for ingestion and avoid cuzcoensis clones? I would love to hve cuzco but never seen lots of them in cactus nurseries. Or they are labeled as bridgesii or peruviana. And by the way, cactus cluster in the pictures are etiolated seedlings so ID is impossible, they can be any tricho there are available.

...However I don't know. But it is fun to write always same answer to tircho ID thread flooding. :lol:

--------------------

Trichocereus Hybrids from seed    Lophophora plants from seed

Proposed European Citizens' Initiative: Weed Like to Talk!
https://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/REQ-ECI-2013-000023/public/?lang=en

Map of countries
https://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/REQ-ECI-2013-000023/public/map.do?lang=en

EU Politics needs legal cannabis! Please support those countries where police waste their resources to cannabis hunt!

Edited by intelligentlife (06/16/13 05:16 AM)

InvisibleUneak
Hi

Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: intelligentlife]
    #18426472 - 06/16/13 09:05 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I do feel like this forum could benefit from a stickied thread (or even just a normal thread) specifically for cactus identification, or maybe just plant IDs? It could have set rules for the thread such as mentioning any specifics about the plant that may not be noticeable in the photo, as well as requiring photos from multiple angles. A lot of the threads on here are about IDs (and I've made some myself, of course :smile:), but I think keeping it all to one thread could be useful. It could also allow people to skim through the thread to see if they could ID their plant through previous identifications in the same thread.

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: Uneak]
    #18426486 - 06/16/13 09:14 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

This thread : Proper San Pedro Identification (formerly known as Bloody Idiots!) is linked in the Ethnogarden encyclopedia, which is stickied at the top. It could do with some more fleshing out perhaps.

With the amount of posts that don't follow our simple rules here, what are the chances that new posters seeking ID will peruse the stickies for a thread to help them? If they inclined to helping themselves before asking others, then the above thread is not hard to find.

ID threads can be a good way for new posters to get started here too. Plus we get to see some beauties sometimes that we might not otherwise!

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: Uneak]
    #18426524 - 06/16/13 09:34 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seekaytea said: but I think keeping it all to one thread could be useful. It could also allow people to skim through the thread to see if they could ID their plant through previous identifications in the same thread.

A master ID thread for trichs (but perhaps not stickied..we don't want too many stickies :smile:) would be handy for the reason you state (easy reference for future ID's) :thumbup:

But let's not hijack botha's thread! :blush:

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
    #18430916 - 06/17/13 08:08 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Yes, this is a common T. bridgesii sold in European garden centers, most likely grown under artificial lighting.

Invisiblebotha
iStoned
Male

Re: Is this bridgesii??? [Re: Tangich]
    #18431117 - 06/17/13 10:32 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tangich said:
Yes, this is a common T. bridgesii sold in European garden centers, most likely grown under artificial lighting.

They are from Nedherlands.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HPS, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden