Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineshimishimiman
Jaded Optimist

Loc: Shmexas, Texas
Should drugs be legalized?
    #18115456 - 04/15/13 09:08 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Now, when I say drugs, I am talking about everything that currently falls under Schedule I. 

I recently had to write an essay for my history class about how the Drug War parallels the prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s.  Based on my findings, prohibition was actually extremely useful for the US as a whole because it decimated the rampant alcoholism and alcohol-related deaths that were occurring during the early parts of the 20th century.  Actually, the only reason congress decided to repeal the Volstead Act (which banned alcohol) was because of the Great Depression.  They decided that the jobs, revenue, and taxes that could come as a result of booze were worth way more than the ethical implications of allowing satan sauce back into the US.

Obviously, the Drug War hasn't completely stopped people from doing as many fucking drugs as they see fit, but it has certainly made us more cautious and more aware of what we are getting ourselves into.  The way I see it, the only reason AT ALL for congress to legalize ANYTHING that falls under Schedule I is if another Great Depression happens.  Then they really won't have much of a choice but to allow everything and anything people want to flood the market until things return to normal.

What do you guys think?  Is there even a possibility that the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 will ever be repealed?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: shimishimiman]
    #18115633 - 04/15/13 09:38 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shimishimiman said:

Yes.

Quote:

Based on my findings, prohibition was actually extremely useful for the US as a whole because it decimated the rampant alcoholism and alcohol-related deaths that were occurring during the early parts of the 20th century.  Actually, the only reason congress decided to repeal the Volstead Act (which banned alcohol) was because of the Great Depression.

Troll?

Offlineshimishimiman
Jaded Optimist

Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #18115673 - 04/15/13 09:47 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

No... not troll.

There is statistical evidence from the Census Bureau showing that the average per-capita consumption of alcohol took almost 50 years to get back to where it was after the enactment and repeal of the Volstead Act.

--------------------

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #18115799 - 04/15/13 10:07 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Quote:

shimishimiman said:

Yes.

Most definitely.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Offlineshimishimiman
Jaded Optimist

Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #18116631 - 04/16/13 01:40 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Right ok, I think most everyone here can agree that they want drugs to be legalized for some reason or another.

However, what I asked is not a rhetorical question - I really want to know WHY it is that you think it would be in the best interest of the public for them to be legalized.  Do you actually have a genuinely good reason - a reason that you think would justify their legality in a court of law?

I am not in any way shape or form against legalization, I just want to know WHY you think they would be better off being legalized and taxed given the current state of the US.

--------------------

OfflineRedpill

Loc: Lake Wobegon, MN
    #18116708 - 04/16/13 02:27 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I do not think all drugs should be legalized. Especially benzos, amphetamines and opiates; they have way too much potential for addiction. And with higher availability there would be so many more people hopelessly dependent on those drugs. I know there are people that can use those drugs responsibly and in moderation, but they are a small percentage of users.

A line has to be drawn somewhere between personal liberties and the well-being of the public as a whole.

I do however think the laws should be much more lenient. The laws should be more of a disapproval and a way to reasonably restrict drug sales, rather than treating drug use as some sort of treasonous sin punishable by prison. But complete legalization? Fuck that, I want to live in a society that's at least somewhat functional.

But I strongly believe in legalization of Marijuana.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #18117529 - 04/16/13 09:43 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shimishimiman said:
Right ok, I think most everyone here can agree that they want drugs to be legalized for some reason or another.

However, what I asked is not a rhetorical question - I really want to know WHY it is that you think it would be in the best interest of the public for them to be legalized.  Do you actually have a genuinely good reason - a reason that you think would justify their legality in a court of law?

I am not in any way shape or form against legalization, I just want to know WHY you think they would be better off being legalized and taxed given the current state of the US.

I do not give a shit about the best interests of "the public".  I give a shit about freedom.  The freedom to destroy yourself in any way you see fit.  All drugs should be available to all competent adults.  They should also be offered exactly zero forced (i.e. government) assistance should they fuck up.  It is called the dignity of risk.  When you treat adults like children they will act like children.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #18117788 - 04/16/13 10:51 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineshimishimiman
Jaded Optimist

#18118377 - 04/16/13 01:30 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

I do not give a shit about the best interests of "the public".  I give a shit about freedom.  The freedom to destroy yourself in any way you see fit.  All drugs should be available to all competent adults.  They should also be offered exactly zero forced (i.e. government) assistance should they fuck up.  It is called the dignity of risk.  When you treat adults like children they will act like children.

But that severely compromises the entire dynamic behind having a functioning nation.  Remember what happened in China?  They started executing people in the streets because of how much of a problem the national opium addiction had become.

Legalization will promote the usage of substances by both responsible AND irresponsible adults.  For the most part, the people of today who choose to dabble in the dark arts of psychedelics, stimulants, and opiates are doing so as freely as they like, but with the added risk of being thrown in prison.  The only difference legalizing them would make is allowing people who never had to go through the motions of finding a trustworthy drug dealer the equal opportunity to do as many drugs as they see fit.

Do you actually believe that the MAJORITY of Americans in this day and age are capable of making proper decisions for themselves without government influence?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#18118431 - 04/16/13 01:43 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shimishimiman said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

But that severely compromises the entire dynamic behind having a functioning nation.  Remember what happened in China?  They started executing people in the streets because of how much of a problem the national opium addiction had become.

Legalization will promote the usage of substances by both responsible AND irresponsible adults.  For the most part, the people of today who choose to dabble in the dark arts of psychedelics, stimulants, and opiates are doing so as freely as they like, but with the added risk of being thrown in prison.  The only difference legalizing them would make is allowing people who never had to go through the motions of finding a trustworthy drug dealer the equal opportunity to do as many drugs as they see fit.

Do you actually believe that the MAJORITY of Americans in this day and age are capable of making proper decisions for themselves without government influence?

Let us break this down into two parts

Part one;

"Do you actually believe that the MAJORITY of Americans in this day and age are capable of making proper decisions for themselves?"

No.

Part two;

"without government influence?"

The government is even less capable.  Unless it is the government of Emperor Me.  Then yes, in that case, I agree the government would be helpful.  But that isn't the case.

--------------------

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

#18118486 - 04/16/13 01:54 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I do not give a shit about the best interests of "the public".  I give a shit about freedom

Lol now thats a winning campaign slogan right there. Sadly some drugs destroy way more than just the users life.Like Alcohol.

Imagin drugs are legal tomorrow , all of them. What about their manufacture? will that be legal in residential areas for the purpose of freedom? I mean why buy meth when you can just cook it in your kitchen kinda like you would brew beer.Well its a little different.

So my neighbor says fuck ya Im freeeeeee ill cook some me meeeeeeeeth fuck yaaaaaaa, blows himself up , takes out me and the wife , leaves my kids orphans. What now . His freedom just accidentaly fucked my family over a good one.
If all drugs are legal , people are gunna do really dumb shit to cause people harm and do damage. How will you attach blame for this shit and what recourse will I have When peoples legal recklessness affects me or my loved ones? Im mean your right fuck them but uhhh...
  If he was drunk or sober and  did this with his car my insurance could sue his insurance and my kids may have some sort of shot at something. If drugs are legal were gunna have to have a drug users insurance I dont see any real way around it.

If you snort too much legal coke and flip out and start swinging a chair at dennys for no reason and take out my grandma's eye, some lawyer is gunna say well it wasnt really him , it was the totally legal coke that he accidentally snorted a little too much of  that caused it. Since I cant blame the drug or him Im gunna just gunna have to sue his user insurance , and once you fuck up too much you wont be able to get insurance and you cant use drugs anymore . And if you get caught using drugs without insurance we'll just shoot you in the face on the spot.

I always hear people talk about ending the drug war and making everything legal. I dont think we have a drug war problem, I think we have a marijuana war problem. I dont think all drugs are reaching the level of public acceptance like marijuana where we should go mmmm drugs + freedom -welfare = more freedom and a better world for all.

Quote:

A majority yes. That doesnt mean the minority isnt capable of ruining everything for everyone else. It also doesnt mean that some drugs drugs over time wont  rob you of that ability. Or cause it shockingly fast. Its different for everyone and unpredictable.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: psilynut]
    #18118714 - 04/16/13 02:38 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Did I say anything about zoning residential areas for meth factories?  If it's legal the meth factories will be in industrial areas with oodles and oodles of safeguards to prevent explosions of the kind you so creatively invented.  Duh.

--------------------

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

#18118832 - 04/16/13 03:08 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

So meth use , bueno, watching a breaking bad marathon and deciding no one will really care that much if you try to make you own blue shit , because its legal anyway , no bueno?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#18118854 - 04/16/13 03:13 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

That's what zoning laws are for.  I have no problem with zoning laws.  Do you?

--------------------

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

#18118888 - 04/16/13 03:20 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I understand zoning laws allot better than you understand meth addicts apparently . That's like telling a guy he can come over and get a bj from your wife whenever he wants, as long as he doesn't cum in her mouth.

They won't respect your halfassness  toward their behavior. This is why their behavior will need to be insured. By someone.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#18119025 - 04/16/13 03:45 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:facepalm:It'll be so cheap no homemade meth cook could stay in business.

--------------------

Offlinehockeyplyr1057
Music Lover
Male

#18119149 - 04/16/13 04:05 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
:facepalm:It'll be so cheap no homemade meth cook could stay in business.

People don't seem to get this idea though...smh...

--------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. -Gandalf

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

Re: Should drugs be legalized? [Re: hockeyplyr1057]
    #18119254 - 04/16/13 04:20 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
It'll be so cheap no homemade meth cook could stay in business.

People don't seem to get this idea though...smh...

So your going to subsidize it then? I already have legal weed , growing it at home is way , way,way cheaper than buying it at 5,10,or20 a gram from the dispensary. Way cheaper. tell ya what, click on that link in my thing and take a look , then explain to me how buying cyans would be more affordable to me the what I already got.Cheaper than homemade for free, uhhhhhhhhhh ok. you must be subsidizing it then.
If its going to be made industrially , it will have to be shipped, packaged , inspected, tested, approved, stored ,marketed, insured ,union made and whatever you get the idea, im not seeing it.

Offlinepsilynut
aka Patchraper

#18119309 - 04/16/13 04:29 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

And thats not even the point. My point is all drugs are different , some safe , some very dangerous , we cant take the same reckless approach towards their legalization like we did when we made them illegal and just lump them all in the same category. They all need to be looked at individually.

OfflineRockhound
The Rockweiler
Male User Gallery

Loc: hell creek anticline
    #18119499 - 04/16/13 05:11 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Yes
Yes
Yes
any questions?
PM me

--------------------
Rocks speak to me, and tell me this:
The Hell Creek formation is a gigantic slab of rocks that covers several western states. It contains an account of the dinosaurs' demise.  In the late Cretaceous period, the first Cannabis species appear, and soon after, all the non-bird dinosaurs disappeared. Obviously, marihuana killed the dinosaurs. That giant meteor that smacked the yucatan peninsula right afterwards, coincidence.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom