Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer
    #18097270 - 04/12/13 01:01 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

So I was getting really sick of always washing my jars i used for pasteurizing, and I remembered akira's thread about bulk pasteurizing.

Nothing new here, or innovative. Just figured i'd post it.

Wagner 705 steamer-$20 craigslist.
CPVC and accessories-$5 lowes
Silicone- $3

Pretty much all you need. You may need to buy a rack to set you sub on, but you probably should have something suitable laying around.

This entire job took me a few hours. It would have taken an hour at most but the silicone takes forever to dry. Now mine may look sloppy(where the hose and CPVC attach) but i had a whole tube of silicone and it was leaking a bit from there so i just over did it:shrug:

The main reason i did this is that I dont have time to only pasteurize 7  qrt jars at a time. I'd like to do 2 bricks of coir/4 qrts of verm all in one. I need to do this about once a week, so i'd rather do one go at it, then load up my pc and pasteurize 7 qrts jars 4 times. Plus i can use my extra jars for spawn.

Enjoy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineillumi.naughty87
Old Uncle Nutty
Male User Gallery

Re: Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer [Re: Blake_Shroom]
    #18097347 - 04/12/13 01:23 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Has this yielded good results for you?

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer [Re: illumi.naughty87]
    #18097370 - 04/12/13 01:29 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I have yet to run it. But i put the steamer on and in ten minutes it got up to 140*, so i really have faith in it. The only thing is that I need to do a few trial runs to see how long it takes the internal of the sub to get to 140*. I'll be doing that today. Once the tub is full of steam, i'm gonna open it, put in the bags of sub. Then wait 15 mins, stick a meat thermometer in one of the bags and see what the internal temp is. If its right, i'll start my timer. if its wrong, i'll wait a bit longer and check again.

Onlinemike-ologist
appreciator of life
Male

#18097389 - 04/12/13 01:36 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I may try this keep me posted :smile:

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer [Re: mike-ologist]
    #18097412 - 04/12/13 01:45 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Will do. I believe that with coir/verm/gypsum this should work completely fine. If i ever need to do some hdung or anything i can always go back to the other way. But i think i'll be using mostly coir since its so easy to prep, contam resistant, and perfect size for a monotub.

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#18099328 - 04/12/13 08:13 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Took about 1 to 1 1/2 hour to get the internal temp of the sub to 140*. But keep in mind it takes like 30 mins for the steamer to even start producing steam.

After it gets brought up to temp, i let it sit for 40 mins. Then turned the steamer off. After an hour the internal temp of the sub was 160*.

Next week when i need some more substrate i'll do it to its full capacity (4 bricks coir/8qrts of verm) and see how long it takes and report back. My feeling is it really wont take that much longer. This thing makes a lot of steam and once the unit is fully heated, it heats the tub very fast. I am very happy with this set up :heart:

Offlineslaymet69
Mush-brain
Male User Gallery
Loc: Best state there is, u kn...
    #18099513 - 04/12/13 08:41 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I did the same thing. A lil different and I lowered the volume and it steams perfect at 180f. Here it is http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18098681/page/2

Offlinesmegzilla69
StrangerDanger
 User Gallery

Re: Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer [Re: slaymet69]
    #18099610 - 04/12/13 08:59 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I am under the impression that bulk steamers to not pasteurize evenly and therefor do not pasteurize all the sub or sterilize parts of the sub

I've tried a method like this to no avail

Just started buying HMC compost
And it's awesome it's like meth for mushrooms  :cosmicpony:

--------------------

EVERYTHING I SAY IS A LIE!!! N ALL MY PICS R STOLEN
WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!watch it pay for it self in # of high yield flushes!
SO DOPE
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination. "  Albert.

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer [Re: smegzilla69]
    #18107389 - 04/14/13 10:44 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Well mine did it evenly. Once the unit it heated up it disperses the steam throughout that tub. The tub gets pretty damn hot and i would be confident in saying that it heats evenly. Plus i'm working with coir/verm so i'm confident in my pasteurized sub.

I'm not saying that this is proper, or that it is the best way. My idea for this was that it would be suitable for coir and verm. I'll do a run of hpoo next time and see how it goes. as far as i'm concerned, hpoo is more work than its worth.

I just love that i'll only have to pasteurize 1 time a week, and i no longer have to wash jars or anything.

Offlineslaymet69
Mush-brain
Male User Gallery
Loc: Best state there is, u kn...
Re: Blake's Bulk Steam Pasteurizer [Re: smegzilla69]
    #18109002 - 04/14/13 04:36 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

When I steam pasteurize using pretty mush the same method. It takes like 15 mins for internal temp to get to like 130f .and within a half hour it is 170-180f and stays there when lowering the steam to the lowest setting.it can go for like a hour and a half on my little rig.and it's works perfect for hpoo.i know it does a great job if not perfect.because when I take out the pass'd sub, and pour it on a tarp or in a bucket so much steam is release it is hard to see,and it's almost too hot to touch,even the stuff in the middle.also if u civet the rig in towels it will stay at 170f for like a hour or two.so it's defiantly worth it.. And when u take the sub out of the steamer  theere is only like a half inch of water in the bottom. And that I bet keeps aLLLLL the nutrients in , instead of just leaching and rinsing out,don't u think!?!

But sry didn't mean to steal ur thread but I think steam pass is the right choice.:laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom