Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesoma_seeker
Stranger in aStrange Land
 User Gallery

Loc: Down under
Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm)
    #18017704 - 03/27/13 06:59 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

March 6th

Prepared 18 quart jars of WBS.  WBS was soaked overnight with 2% by weight/volume of gypsum.  The following morning the WBS was brought to the boil for 5 minutes, drained and then spread out to air dry for 30 minutes to remove all surface moisture.

The jars were PC'd at 15 PSI for 2 hours.

March 7th

Three agar plates (each containing a different isolate) were used to inoculate 6 quart jars each.  These strains were isolated over a period of several weeks, which involved around 4 transfers.

Two sets of six were inoc'd by transfering 1/6 of the agar plate to the quart jar.  The third set of six were inoc'd by preping an LC syringe from the third agar plate (using the 'slurry' method).

The syringe preparation and inoculation procedures were performed in front of my flow hood.

March 14th

Two jars (each from a different strain) have developed a mould contamination that I've never seen before.  It looks somewhat like cobweb mould but with a brown hue.  These two jars were carefully disposed of.

March 23rd

All jars now appear fully colonised.  No strain performed significantly better than the others.  Neither method of inoculation (wedge or LC) proved more effective than the other.

In the future, the 1/6 agar wedge will be cut into 2 or 3 segments to speed colonisation of the jars.

Based on the fact that the jars were inoc'd using rhizo monocultures I expected the colonisation rate to be more impressive than it was.

Jars will be left for a further 3 days to ensure 100% colonisation.

March 27th

5 from 6 jars of two of the strains colonised completely without contamination, and 6 jars of the third strain succeeded.  5 jars of each strain were used to prepare 3 separate monotubs (the spare 6th jar will be used for prep'ing further substrate via g2g).

The monotubs were prepared by spawning to coir/verm using Damion 5050's coir tek (5 quart jars of spawn, 2 quarts of verm, 3.5L of water, 600g of coir).

The monotubs were each covered with a large black plastic bag to block out the light and put aside to colonise.  Plan to check on their progress in 5 days time and expect full colonisation after 10.

Note: 

Still unsure whether or not to case the tubs.  Current climate and growing conditions make trich contamination fairly likely, so it may be better to avoid this step (it was for this reason I chose not to add coffee to the coir/verm).  One of the three tub's substrate level already reaches the bottom FAE holes of the tub (noticeably higher than the other two), so casing this tub may not actually be possible.  Perhaps will case the other two and simply add a very thin layer of verm to the surface of the third.
If casing is applied, will be 50/50+ using peat moss, verm, oyster shell and calcium carbonate.  Still not sure on exact composition (what percentage of powdered calcium carbonate should I use?).
Regardless of whether a casing layer is applied, I intend to mist/fan the tubs once a day, and also have a small fan in the grow room (which will be on the same 12 hour on/off cycle as the lights).

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: soma_seeker]
    #18017710 - 03/27/13 07:02 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome log op :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: HybridprX]
    #18017717 - 03/27/13 07:06 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HybridprX said:
Awesome log op :thumbup:

Hopefully will get some awesome results to add to it!

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

OfflineHandollaf
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: soma_seeker]
    #18017894 - 03/27/13 08:25 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Looks great man!  I am actually planning a very similar grow (just inoculated Wednesday 20.  I'm doing a multispore from syringe for my first try but I'm trying to work with some agar right now so i can use an isolate on my next go.

7th day and no signs of growth on Jars or Agar :frown:  ...patiently waiting

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here until here
    #18018301 - 03/27/13 10:35 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Beautiful plates!

:popcorn: :peace:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide
Time to fruit? Pinning Strategy and Troubleshooting
My Trade Thread (Fungus, Plants, Herbal Medicine)

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18018547 - 03/27/13 11:23 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

soma_seeker said:

The monotubs were prepared by spawning to coir/verm using Damion 5050's coir tek (5 quart jars of spawn, 2 quarts of verm, 3.5L of water, 600g of coir).

I would've used about 5L of water for that, I doubt 3.5L gave you field capacity :shrug:

Also, don't case em, just dial the tubs in right and watch your mycelium sing :awesomenod:

Epic isolates!
:popcorn:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Edited by FrankHorrigan (03/27/13 12:24 PM)

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18018633 - 03/27/13 11:42 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: tripdawg420]
    #18018688 - 03/27/13 11:55 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Those plates.... :africaface:

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18019777 - 03/27/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks everyone!

Yeah I'm quite proud of these plates, they are the result of the first series of agar work I've ever done. I tried numerous techniques but what lead to these results was transferring a strand of rhizo myc from a fully colonized WBS jar.  You know the rhizo strands that grow straight up from the substrates surface in search of more material to colonize? I took pieces of this with tweezers and scalpel and then grew them out on agar and performed a further 3 isolations.  Seemed to have worked well :smile:

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:

I would've used about 5L of water for that, I doubt 3.5L gave you field capacity :shrug:

Also, don't case em, just dial the tubs in right and watch your mycelium sing :awesomenod:

Epic isolates!
:popcorn:

Yes perhaps I was a little low on the water content.... last time I thought I used slightly too much, so I worked out the amount based on Daimon's tek and took 10% off (worked out approx. 3.5L).  Hopefully this will be enough.
I was also hoping to get at least two flushes out of them without dunking, considering that trich is a big problem for me and dunking bulk subs seems to increase the odds of trich (doesn't it? maybe only IME).

Thanks for the link. So you don't add anything to the substrate surface?  Not even some verm?  Do you mist/fan? If so how frequently?

I have only prep'd one monotub before, which I did not case or add verm to, and I didn't mist or fan (I wanted to see if i'd get decent results with the 'set and forget' method).  I got a good pinset around the entire perimeter (side pins, despite my black plastic bag liner AND black tape around the tub).  However there were only a handful of fruits on the top surface and several of them aborted (NONE of the side pins aborted).  Clearly there was something wrong with the conditions on the top surface of the substrate.  That is why this time I am keen to both case and mist/fan once daily.

note: The RH in my last monotub sat on a fairly constant 82%.

Any thoughts/suggestions from those with more experience with monotubs would be much appreciated!

--------------------

OfflineBig Daddy Kane
Stranger
    #18019961 - 03/27/13 04:53 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Im new to the forum, I had some questions, I could figure out how to start a post so i figured id ask here since this seems to be an active post. First of all I did a pf tek grow somewhat successfully about 2 years ago. Nothing since then. I am looking to start up again but do a bulk monotub. At outgrow.com there are $40 kits with 3 lb of rye, 10 lb of manure and 1 lb casing. This seems to be a good option since I wont have to worry about gathering materials, pressure cooker, jars sterilization etc. So here are my questions.
1) How many cc of spore per 1 lb bag?
2) Once the bags are fully colonized how do you introduce the bulk substrate? It seems that they get combined in the monotub? If so what are the temp/light parameters. Does it work to mix the grain and bulk substrate, add the casing and wait until everything is colonized?
3) How do you keep proper humidity in the monotub? Does the casing provide this?
4) Is it ok to open a monotub or should you keep it closed with the polyfill holes?
5) How do you initiate secondary flushes?

If anyone could help me out or link me to a page that would be great.
Peace

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: Big Daddy Kane]
    #18020618 - 03/27/13 07:32 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

the two teks in tripdawg420's sig should help a lot.

anything not covered there i recommend reading a few different sources to get an idea of the different approaches used. you should use the search engine for this.

--------------------

OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here until here
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: Big Daddy Kane]
    #18020652 - 03/27/13 07:41 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Big Daddy Kane said:
If anyone could help me out or link me to a page that would be great.
Peace

:pm: me if you'd like. Otherwise, all the info. you need is already on the site. The search engine is your friend.

Let's not detract from soma's awesome thread. It's called hi-jacking 'round these parts, and it's not alright!

On a side note, there is a "Post" link near the middle-right of your screen which will open the menu-box and text-box for posting your own questions. Honestly, though, 95%+ of the questions posed are already answered.

:plur:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide
Time to fruit? Pinning Strategy and Troubleshooting
My Trade Thread (Fungus, Plants, Herbal Medicine)

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: Primal Call]
    #18031269 - 03/30/13 12:28 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

March 29th

Prepared 4 mycobags of rye grain (6L of dry grain, which produced 14L of field capacity grain).  Grain was soaked overnight with 2% by weight/volume of gypsum.  The following morning the grain was brought to the boil for 5 minutes, drained and then spread out to air dry for 30 minutes to remove all surface moisture.

The jars were PC'd at 15 PSI for 3 hours.

The following day the bags were inoculated using the one spare fully colonised WBS jar (strain F).

March 30th

Opened the three monotubs to check on their progress today.  Mycelium has reached the surface of two of the three tubs (strains A and E), after 3 days of colonisation.  Still no signs of mycelium in the third tub (strain F).

The mycobags inoculated yesterday are already showing significant colonisation.  I expect they will be ready to spawn after 14 days.

--------------------

Edited by soma_seeker (03/30/13 01:26 AM)

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#18034010 - 03/30/13 05:23 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Note:

I'm thinking I will follow the same fruiting procedure for all three tubs.  Obviously this is the best approach for comparing the performance of the the three isolates.  When the 4 mycobags of strain F are ready to be fruited I will experiment with 4 different approaches to fruiting (i.e. with 50/50+ casing, different mist/fan schedule, etc.).

What I plan to do with these three tubs is to NOT apply any form of casing layer, and place sanitised bubble-wrap immediately on top of the substrate which will be removed once daily to fan the tub.  I don't intend to mist.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions by those with significant experience in fruiting monotubs would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Edited by soma_seeker (03/30/13 05:29 PM)

InvisibleGeorge Sears
43rd President of the US
Male

Loc: New Mexico
    #18034044 - 03/30/13 05:31 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Your plates made me oog all over myself.. Those are beautiful. :eek:

--------------------

Offlinebrand0n
large jar mad man!!

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: George Sears]
    #18034133 - 03/30/13 05:48 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

how much did you spend on that little flow hood?

--------------------
That did it! I am now the anti BRF CAKE! I have had enough! TO HELL WITH BRF! REAL MEN USE SEED! Go now brf younging. Get some seed. COME BACK A MAN!

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: George Sears]
    #18034332 - 03/30/13 06:53 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Tacomandood said:
Your plates made me oog all over myself.. Those are beautiful. :eek:

haha thanks.  Hopefully the results will reflect it!

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: brand0n]
    #18034349 - 03/30/13 06:55 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

brand0n said:
how much did you spend on that little flow hood?

Yeh I'm really happy with my flow hood.  Designed it myself using the HEPA filter of an air purifier and a small exhaust fan intended for hydroponic grow rooms.

It set me back about $170, however I expect it would be noticeably cheaper for the same materials in the US (the hood was built in Australia).

I've been planning on doing a little write-up on it but haven't got around to posting.

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#18040847 - 04/01/13 01:32 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

April 1st

Wow... I'm feeling extremely foolish...

I checked on the three tubs today and was concerned that strain F still showed no signs of colonisation.  I couldn't see any mycelium on the surface, nor could I notice its characteristic smell.

I expected contamination and that I may need to dispose of the tub already.  I disturbed the surface of the substrate to realise that no spawn had been added to the tub :S

I had trimmed the black plastic bag more or less to size, but hadn't added the spawn.  What I had done, was add 10 qrt jars of spawn to one of the tubs and none to the third :frown:

No wonder one tub's substrate height was noticeably higher than the others.  I still can't believe I did this without noticing my mistake sooner :S

Anyway, I had an extra mycobag that was fully colonised 3 days ago (of strain A), which I used to inoculate the tub.  I soaked the grain for 5 minutes, then drained it well, before mixing it with the coir/verm.

Unfortunately my experiment of comparing the 3 strains alongside one another under the same conditions is now ruined, but hopefully I'll still produce some good results.

The other two tubs have been colonising for 5 days now, and mycelium is covering about 20% of the tubs' surface.

--------------------

Offlinebrand0n
large jar mad man!!

#18041099 - 04/01/13 03:31 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

woops

--------------------
That did it! I am now the anti BRF CAKE! I have had enough! TO HELL WITH BRF! REAL MEN USE SEED! Go now brf younging. Get some seed. COME BACK A MAN!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale