Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: soma_seeker]
    #18108168 - 04/14/13 01:41 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

2. Layer some coir/verm above the mixed material so that no grains are exposed (since it is the grain that is FAR more susceptible to contamination than coir/verm).

Not IME. But results may vary.  I use casing at the time of laying out the tubs, unless I don't have it ready. :lol:

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoma_seeker
Stranger in aStrange Land
 User Gallery

Loc: Down under
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #18108643 - 04/14/13 03:21 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
I use casing at the time of laying out the tubs, unless I don't have it ready. :lol:

Oh ok, I've never come across that approach. 

Anyway, will see what happens for me over the next few days as you said.

Cheers

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Offlinehauserss
The Guy
Loc: United States
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: soma_seeker]
    #18109296 - 04/14/13 05:50 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Good Post

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: hauserss]
    #18111633 - 04/15/13 06:16 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

April 15th

Decided to go ahead and fruit the first two tubs and see how they go.  This was probably an impatient and incorrect choice, since at least the second tub is clearly not ready to pin (despite having been colonising for 19 days now).

All 8 of the monotubs I have colonising are doing so very slowly, which I think is almost entirely due to the significant coir/verm layer I added above the mixed spawn.  My previous monotub, in which I didn't add such a layer but otherwise prepared in the same manner from MS Ecuadorian spawn, colonised in 10 days.  For the remaining tubs I intend to just keep waiting until their surface appears completely ready for fruiting (which I expect may take up to 25 days!).  Hopefully this won't be too long to have the tubs sealed up (the high CO2 concentration is obviously good for colonisation, but at what point will it become a problem?..)

The first two tubs now have polyfil stuffed very loosely in the top holes (so loosely that vigorously fanning the tubs will cause it to fall out), and very tightly in the bottom holes.  The fan next to the tubs is on the same 12 hour cycle as the light.  The bottom tubs are the second set of two, which are still colonising, however I chose to stuff polyfill tightly in the top holes (rather than leave them covered with tape).  The second set of two tubs have now been colonising for 10 and 11 days (one is an Ecuadorian - the surface of which is almost completely covered with a thin layer of sparse myc, the second is the Golden Teacher isolate and is still less than 50% colonised on the surface).

The fruiting tubs each have a layer of bubble wrap on the surface.  I intend to mist (only the walls of the tub and not the substrate) and fan twice a day.

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Edited by soma_seeker (04/15/13 07:44 PM)

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18115920 - 04/15/13 10:29 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

soma_seeker said:
April 15th

Decided to go ahead and fruit the first two tubs and see how they go.  This was probably an impatient and incorrect choice, since at least the second tub is clearly not ready to pin (despite having been colonising for 19 days now).

Pinning will proceed from the more colonized layer underneath if you induce it, when I case I only wait until the myc starts breaking through the casing before initiating pinning (unless it's destined for extended consolidation where it might sit with only GE for months first). 

I think you'll see pins in that right quickly. :thumbup:

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: PrimalSoup]
    #18117168 - 04/16/13 07:09 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
Pinning will proceed from the more colonized layer underneath if you induce it, when I case I only wait until the myc starts breaking through the casing before initiating pinning (unless it's destined for extended consolidation where it might sit with only GE for months first). 

I think you'll see pins in that right quickly. :thumbup:

This little post concisely answered several different questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

Cheers :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinehauserss
The Guy
    #18117880 - 04/16/13 11:23 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

How are you planning to induce 2nd and 3rd flushes? I only ask cause I'm new to bulk grows and I am confused on weather its even possible to produce more than one flush with coir. Any help you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: hauserss]
    #18117893 - 04/16/13 11:27 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hauserss said:
How are you planning to induce 2nd and 3rd flushes?

Harvest first flush, dunk for a few hours, put back into fruiting and wait.

Just like cakes, except bulk only needs a few hours of soaking.

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18118333 - 04/16/13 01:17 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

This little post concisely answered several different questions that I haven't been able to find answers to.

:mushroomgrow:  Yogi Berra said ""You can observe a lot just by watching." :lol:

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#18119034 - 04/16/13 03:47 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
:mushroomgrow:  Yogi Berra said ""You can observe a lot just by watching." :lol:

Maybe you can answer this as well... In your experience with monotubs have you ever had a tub pin very well around the perimeter (some side pinning, but many just around the very edge)?  My last tub did this, the pins on the side ALL grew to maturity, but the bulk of the surface grew only about 10 pins - most of which aborted about halfway through their growth.

I'd expected that it might be a lack of surface evaporation (I didn't fan the tub), that's why this time I've opted to use the bubble wrap casing approach and fan twice a day.

Any thoughts?

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18119170 - 04/16/13 04:07 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

soma_seeker said:
Quote:

PrimalSoup said:

Maybe you can answer this as well... In your experience with monotubs have you ever had a tub pin very well around the perimeter (some side pinning, but many just around the very edge)?  My last tub did this, the pins on the side ALL grew to maturity, but the bulk of the surface grew only about 10 pins - most of which aborted about halfway through their growth.

I'd expected that it might be a lack of surface evaporation (I didn't fan the tub), that's why this time I've opted to use the bubble wrap casing approach and fan twice a day.

Any thoughts?

When pins occur mainly on the sides it's usually because your conditions in the center of the tub are not ideal.
I recommend set-n-forget after you have your holes stuffed right and a fan running :thumbup:
Bubble wrap serves no real purpose in monos. You can get your RH @ 98% with the right amount of poly in the right holes and a fan running...the trick is to increase FAE while retaining that RH. A faux casing layer just serves to smother the sub with pockets of stale air.
24/7 passive FAE tends to provide better results than fanning a few times a day.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Offlinehauserss
The Guy
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: PussyFart]
    #18120754 - 04/16/13 08:51 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Right on! Thanks for the help

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18121115 - 04/16/13 10:10 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Casing.  Pins appear where the microclimate is most favorable, and if that's the sides and they can get air and proper RH that's where they form. Casing lets them form inside the casing layer or on the surface, with little pockets and what not, kind of like dirt. :thumbup:

OR RH and FAE control, as mentioned. :thumbup:

Yeah I know cubes don't need casing... :shrug:

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18121143 - 04/16/13 10:15 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
When pins occur mainly on the sides it's usually because your conditions in the center of the tub are not ideal.

:whathesaid:

Offlinejwalt420
Terpin master
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: PussyFart]
    #18121198 - 04/16/13 10:28 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

:popcorn::getstoned:

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Grow log: 3 monotubs from 3 Ecuadorian rhizo isolates (WBS spawned to coir/verm) [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18121727 - 04/17/13 01:09 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:

Yep, realise that thanks.  What I'm not sure of is how best to rectify it.

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
I recommend set-n-forget after you have your holes stuffed right and a fan running :thumbup:
Bubble wrap serves no real purpose in monos. You can get your RH @ 98% with the right amount of poly in the right holes and a fan running...the trick is to increase FAE while retaining that RH. A faux casing layer just serves to smother the sub with pockets of stale air.
24/7 passive FAE tends to provide better results than fanning a few times a day.

This was the process I used last time when I had the issue.  I know some people swear by 'set and forget' but the more I read the more I find people who oppose it.  Obviously I'm not arguing for one way or the other, I'm just trying to find what works for my set of circumstances. 'Set and forget' gave me poor results last time, so this time I'm trying something different.

Cheers

--------------------

Edited by soma_seeker (04/17/13 01:10 AM)

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#18121742 - 04/17/13 01:14 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PrimalSoup said:
Casing.  Pins appear where the microclimate is most favorable, and if that's the sides and they can get air and proper RH that's where they form. Casing lets them form inside the casing layer or on the surface, with little pockets and what not, kind of like dirt. :thumbup:

Yeh I figured this would be the popular response.  Would like to give it a go, but in my growing environment the risk of trich contamination is really high (60 year old house with wall to wall carpeting and nearly 40 degree celcius temperature maximums). 

This is why I'm trying the bubble wrap casing tek.  Hoping to get some of the benefits of casing with less of the contam risks.

Cheers.

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #18123043 - 04/17/13 10:10 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Alright then :shrug:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#18124026 - 04/17/13 01:29 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
Alright then :shrug:

I do appreciate your input. I have another set of tubs colonising. I think I will make at least one of these 'set and forget' (if just for the reduced exposure to open air), and see how they compare.

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#18148356 - 04/22/13 04:29 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

April 22nd

Four days ago both of the first two tubs developed a small area of trich mould.  Both tubs still had a small area where the surface was weakly colonised and this is where the contam appeared.

As I've said, with my growing environment trich mould is a constant issue, particularly with bulk grows, so I'm not suprised that this occurred.  Rather than toss the tubs I cut out a section approximately 4 times larger than the contaminated region.  Over the next couple of days a very small spot regrew on each tub and was removed in the same way.  It seems like it is under control.

Obviously I know the risk of further polluting my growing environment and am not suggesting that this is a good approach, but it is what I decided to do. 

Anyway, one of the tubs is just starting to show the development of primordia (the tub that was mistakenly prepared using two isolate strains), and the second has more primordia than I've ever seen before.  There are literally thousands covering the entire surface, several of which had developed into pins this morning.

I'm continuing a 12 hour light and fan cycle, as well as hand-fanning and lightly misting twice a day.  The substrate is constantly covered with bubble wrap (except when hand fanning).

If even a small fraction of these primordia develop into full-size fruit-bodies it will be quite a successful tub :smile:

--------------------

Edited by soma_seeker (04/22/13 04:32 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder