Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction
    #18017387 - 03/27/13 03:37 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

So what are you're thoughts on Marijuana causing schizophrenia?

My addiction to Marijuana:
I smoked for the first time in April when I was 16 years old. The past two years I've smoked heavy amounts of weed especially after I got my first job up until I turned 19 in October. I smoked every single day, the second school was over me and friends were hot boxing our way home, smoked myself to sleep, and when I got up for work. During break at work I usually went over to a friend/co-workers house close by where 4 or 5 people (sometimes more) would all match and usually try to burn down either an eighth or more within the 30mins we had; and just go straight back to his house once we got off and get ripped. On other days his house wasn't available I'd just drive around and smoke a blunt or two with a co-worker. Boss never cared, he was a stoner too, and we worked hard. Came home with $70 in tips if I was lucky, on top of 30-35 hour weekly paychecks. Me and two other friends who worked there put our money together twice a week to pick up 2-3 ounces at a time so it was much cheaper, and so we could afford alcohol and food on the weekends, which is when we pretty much made an effort to get high every second of the day. Usually ending up blacking out and waking up in all sorts of houses during the weekend. Was almost never home even on school nights and avoided my mom and sister when I got home so they wouldn't know I was high. Turned into a compulsive liar towards my family.

(OMIT this paragraph not really related, just background info and rambling if interested)
Surprised I went so long without my mom finding out, it wasn't until I was 18&1/2. And once she found out I was instantly able to convince her it was a "safe," drug and she was still unaware of how often I smoked. She was oblivious because I used to have a strong group of friends before I moved to GA and we made it clear that we would never get affiliated with any type of drug, and were completely against them. We actually made a leisure activity out of attempting to catch some of their older brothers smoking, and searched everywhere for their drugs. Got them in so much trouble one time his older brothers friend gave me a white wash until I passed out and they had to call an ambulance :facepalm: don't blame em. On top of my friends influence had a ton of D.A.R.E and extensive drug programs and such at school, and there were very very few kids who ever experimented, even throughout middle school. I found out when I moved down to GA it was the complete opposite, except back in MI I found out everyone I used to know became even more of a stoner then me once HS came along, which also had a really bad rep when it came to drug use :rolleyes:. Anyway 3 or 4 years before I moved to GA my dad had an aneurysm and two strokes(in hospital), after spending 6 months in the hospital we found out my dad was completely paralyzed on the right side (huge section of the left part of his brain was damaged), his short-term memory was impaired, surprisingly his long-term memory is better than anyone's I've ever met, double vision, he lost his ability to rationalize, ability to balance, and speech problems. My mom was in complete denial over his illness for over 4 years, and barley had time to take care of me and my sister (spent months over friends houses), spent loads of cash on rehab centers, therapy, traveled all over the U.S. seeing top notch doctors, recovery centers, anything you could come up with. My dad was a health nut, worked out everyday, had a high paying job with GM, never smoked a cig in his life, and drank about one or two beers on the weekends, so this was completely unexpected. He actually fainted in the gym. He is still completely against drugs and refused to take any pain meds unless it was through the IV even after he was released from the hospital. We were told all his conditions would only get worse and they were right, cept throughout the 4 years he fortunately got some of his balance back and is able to walk around on a four prong cane. We spent the next two years meeting up with aneurysm recovery groups, but it was harder on my dad then therapeutic, because he was worse off then everyone else there. This isn't a sob story y'all I actually coped with my dad's illness and the whole situation very well. I was so young I barley knew what was going on, and it has nothing to do with my heavy marijuana consumption, just was giving the an explanation to why my mom was oblivious over my drug use and I got a little carried away... Yeah I'm speedin :crazy2:. Which reminds me of two more reasons as to why my mother never would have thought I would start smoking or do any drugs, because I hated more than anything taking my ADD medication after I was diagnosed in 2nd grade, and finally my dad's resentment for cigs had me HATE them as well and I gave my mom a hard time when she started smoking them because her depression was so bad. I didn't do anything like hide them from her or anything though, just complained a lot. I smoked my first cig last year actually and only really smoke them when I'm drunk.

Addiction continued:
-All my money went towards weed and helping my mom pay rent, the only thing I ever saved up for was a trip to PC for spring break costing $500, purchased some clothes, protein shakes, and other supplements. Eventually lost my job because I had to rely on a ride and was late, a lot; which will be an issue with my new job :facepalm:. I started dealing to feed my habit, and spent half of my senior year in school high. I quit dealing because it was too difficult without transportation, I wouldn't risk dealing from my own home so I hung out at a "trap house," in my neighborhood with a bunch of sketchy gang members. I live in a pretty nice area so it was nothing serious, they just called themselves a gang because they had a lot of guns, carried a 'flag', had a special handshake, and moved nothin but a pound at a time usually(took 2-3weeks). I was always nervous hanging around there, I was the only white boy :lol:, was the youngest kid there, and I didn't affiliate myself with their gang so it was a weird relationship. The house got raided shortly after I started hanging around there, luckily it was at night. Ironically a cop moved into the house. Once I burned up the last of my stash I started resorting to other things like shoplifting, and helped a friend at school sell fake True Religion and Mek jeans.

I was still the first one to argue weed wasn't addictive whenever someone brought up the debate:facepalm:... I finally came to my senses the summer after my senior year, did my best not to get involved in anything stupid for money, and only smoked when the opportunity came up, and some weeks I was still smoking everyday. It wasn't until I joined the Shroomery, I decided I was going to quit smoking and start to aggressively look for a job. Well I actually was supposed to be getting hired at a Dollar General which I explained in this thread how that went... Planned on using the money from my first paycheck I made there to replace my marijuana addiction with shrooms and buy PF-TEK equipment. I felt like it would be a fun little project that would take my mind off trying to get high and something to look forward to. Trying to go cold turkey was pretty tough, wasn't having withdrawals but I was going nuts without it and losing sleep over it.

I stopped taking ADD meds for a whole year prior to joining. Got a script for the first time again to help with my extensive job search because it was becoming impossible and also help finish some online schooling. Problem is insomnia and depression started kicking in, which had me slip up a couple times with mary jane. Got a little desperate for some kind of high since I got myself all excited about the idea of cultivating mushrooms, was too focused on replacing my marijuana addiction with the cubes. Once I found out I pretty much got fucked over for the employment opportunity, with no hope of getting started with a tek anytime soon, I went on that little DXM binge. Then got prescribed ambien and klonopin for legitimate reasons, and ended up starting to abuse those a little aswell. I'm stopping myself from taking the meds before I ruin my life on some benzos; so I got some melatonin to help myself sleep. Unfortunately the melatonin doesn't help too much and I get weird side effects from it.

Yeah I'll admit, I was a dumbass. I tend to make sporadic decisions that lead me down dark paths. It's taken me up until now to realize I have an addictive personality. I'm just glad I was able to accept this truth. It took jail to teach me what true consequences are and how a little mistake can effect your life forever. On the bright side I'm pretty sure I have an Assistant Management position at McDonald's, but I know better then to have high expectations when it comes to a job opportunity, been let down too many times. What I am sure of, is that I'm done fucking up. 

My Schizo concern:
I feel my heavy consumption of marijuana may have triggered schizophrenia. The thing is I quit taking vyvanse/adderall because it turns me into an insomniac, gets me really depressed, but mainly because it tends to give me anxiety and makes me socially awkward. It's not just the anxiety that makes me socially awkward and even when I'm sober, sometimes I have trouble finding the right words to say when it comes to starting or keeping a conversation with someone. My mind will end up going blank and it got worse throughout high school. I always thought this was due to the ADD meds, but after being off them for a year, I feel like I may have fell victim to marijuana's potential to induce schizophrenia. Although my personality did improve my brain still has these moments where I think of a million things at once instead of what I want to say, type, or even draw. Throughout elementary and middle school I won best piece of art for my age group, In order for me to produce a good piece of art now-a-days that would stand out it would take an abnormally long time (I know that is also part of ADD). I was drawing designs for a vaporizer contest last week and it took me hours just to do simple sketches because I couldn't transfer the images I had in my mind on the paper, the weird thing is I knew how to draw what I was imagining but the second I would go to draw it out, I just kept locking up and forgetting what stroke I was about to perform. Another weird example was today I had to make an outline for an essay about importance of being ambitious, super easy topic, but took me abnormally long, not to mention I couldn't do it in order. I had my 3 topics and whatever else the outline asked for in my head, but I couldn't type it out and had to use a thesaurus every two seconds for words that got lost in my head.

Quote:

:alert:EDIT: I am not lashing out on the drug itself, or calling Marijuana an addictive drug. I myself was addicted and if you had time to read my story, you would have to be ignorant to tell me I didn't have a problem.

More on the concern itself:
(Take in mind the few studies that show Marijuana could cause Schizophrenia were reported in those who smoked heavily at a young age, and it still didn't occur in all patients. So if the test results were accurate I'm just one of the un-lucky few.)
-I am diagnosed with ADD (the drug could have just wrosen ADD symptoms although there are patients who smoke for their ADD/ADHD but IME it only lowers my ability to focus)

-I've been taking ADD meds since 2nd grade, ritalin, concerta, vyvanse, and adderall.

-On some occasions I smoke, these Schizo like symptoms occur
  -sporatic unorganized, scattered thoughts
  -difficulty speaking increases, a lot more than friends

Edited by zee007 (03/27/13 12:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: zee007] * 1
    #18017391 - 03/27/13 03:41 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Marijuana does not cause schizophrenia.  If its not enhancing your life... quit smokin it .

I think taking pharmy drugs daily do Much more damage to mental health ... Avoid them

oh ya.  Nutrition plays a major part of mental health

Edited by P-O (03/27/13 01:32 PM)

Offlineunderfliptown
I suck and you should kill me

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: P-O] * 6
    #18017434 - 03/27/13 04:01 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

tldr.

Marijuana "addiction"... Jesus christ what a fucking joke. Some people must really think it's cool to be addicts, this shits retarded.

Keep believing all that shit the anti-drug lobbyist funded scientists tell you...

Marijuana is good for you, if you can't handle it then don't do it as much. Simple.

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: P-O]
    #18017450 - 03/27/13 04:13 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I felt very dependent on weed for a good while throughout high school.  I then realized that is not the person I wanted to be.  One simple high dose mushroom trip sent me on great path free of all chemical dependencies.  What did you go to jail for?  Drink lots of water.  Eat lots of organic fruits and vegetables and get a sufficient amount of exercise and you will be feeling like a million bucks in no time.

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: underfliptown]
    #18017453 - 03/27/13 04:15 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I agree with you that it can be good for you in certain situations.  If the individual is not a grounded person with no strong philosophy and goals I think it is easy to get sucked in.  Weed is not addictive though.  All it takes is self discipline to kick the habit.

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: underfliptown] * 1
    #18017467 - 03/27/13 04:22 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
tldr.

Marijuana "addiction"... Jesus christ what a fucking joke. Some people must really think it's cool to be addicts, this shits retarded.

Keep believing all that shit the anti-drug lobbyist funded scientists tell you...

Marijuana is good for you, if you can't handle it then don't do it as much. Simple.

anything can be mentally addictive bro. Marijuana has it's Pros for sure, but it can make you lazy, unproductive too. It still can take over your life if you don't use it in moderation. 

I'll use it again for sure, just not going to abuse it like I did.

I'm still curious to find out if other users feel like there is a possibility to get schizophrenia from it. Anything that messes with your psych, I believe may have the potential.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2005559,00.html
:shrug: not so sure if I can believe this but, I don't see any research proving this wrong.

Offlineunderfliptown
I suck and you should kill me

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: zee007]
    #18017468 - 03/27/13 04:23 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I don't see any research proving that I am not God. So I believe this.

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: zee007]
    #18017473 - 03/27/13 04:30 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

There is very little known as to what induces schizophrenia.  If you feel weird do not do it.  It is as simple as listening to your body, not a postulated theory.

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: thelanzii]
    #18017479 - 03/27/13 04:34 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Nemmies said:
I felt very dependent on weed for a good while throughout high school.  I then realized that is not the person I wanted to be.  One simple high dose mushroom trip sent me on great path free of all chemical dependencies.  What did you go to jail for?  Drink lots of water.  Eat lots of organic fruits and vegetables and get a sufficient amount of exercise and you will be feeling like a million bucks in no time.

Even while I was smoking a ton, I worked out and ate healthy. Felt great, when I wasn't having issues getting myself bud life was great. I didn't realize how dependent I was becoming on it. Couldn't fall asleep without it, dreaded work without it, couldn't eat without it. I should have a car by now, but marijuana became a necessity. I replaced many activities with just getting high, and I never had drive to do anything, besides watch a movie, hit up some fast food joint, or play video games. Hell yeah it's possible to do active shit while high, but unfortunately it doesn't have that effect on me. I'll be posting a thread on what I went to jail for after court.

Edited by zee007 (03/27/13 04:36 AM)

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

#18017482 - 03/27/13 04:35 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I think any psychoactive especially potent ones such as marijuana can increase the symptoms of schizophrenia....what do I know though :shrug: from experience I would bet on it especially daily consumption.

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: thelanzii]
    #18017485 - 03/27/13 04:40 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Nemmies said:
There is very little known as to what induces schizophrenia.  If you feel weird do not do it.  It is as simple as listening to your body, not a postulated theory.

Exactly why I'm asking the Shroomery if anyone else can relate.

Still not decided whether or not I believe the theory.

OfflineBitter Cactus
reformed bad boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: zee007] * 1
    #18017598 - 03/27/13 06:11 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

OP, your story sounds exactly like mine except I actually began and still hear voices. I'm completely sane and nobody would expect it in a person like me. I believe marijuana and psychedelics induced these symptoms. Although, with sobriety I became much better. My auritory hallucinations used to consist of laughter, choirs singing, radios playing, mumbling and more. Now I just hear a low hum that converses along before sleep, but I used to have 5 of 6 voices overlapping each other at once.

--------------------
Taking acid and thinking you are a better man is a lot different then actually becoming a better man.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: underfliptown] * 3
    #18017641 - 03/27/13 06:36 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

underfliptown said:
I don't see any research proving that I am not God. So I believe this.

Seriously dude, why do you even bother come in here and post. All I've seen of you lately is just shouting unfounded opinions and if you're called out to back your stuff up, you bail out with some bullshit statement like the one I quoted above.

Nobody here gives a fuck about your opinion if you don't take the time to tell us why you think the way you do about things.

Why don't you step up to the plate and actually discuss?

OfflineBitter Cactus
reformed bad boy
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: koraks]
    #18017676 - 03/27/13 06:46 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I found it to be rather funny actually.

--------------------
Taking acid and thinking you are a better man is a lot different then actually becoming a better man.

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: koraks]
    #18017678 - 03/27/13 06:46 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I have smoked daily for YEARS!
Weed all day everyday
Then, when I went on vacation
I didn't smoke for 4 days.

I didn't crave it
did not drive me any sort of crazy that I couldn't find it
I may have had slightly worse sleep
but nothing to lose sleep over

I think sucking dick is probably more addictive than weed.

Not being able to smoke weed is like not being able to eat cake
Sure it's sweet, but man, it's easy not to care you don't have it.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Invisibletdubz
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #18017682 - 03/27/13 06:47 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

:trollersgonnatroll:

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: tdubz]
    #18017686 - 03/27/13 06:49 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

I'm not trolling.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

InvisibleDarkElf
Don't let commies win!
Male

Loc: Almost Canada.
    #18017705 - 03/27/13 06:59 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

TL;DR...

They don't know what causes Schizophrenia. No one does.

The only theories they have right now are...

1.) Genetics
2.) Chemical imbalance since birth, with life trauma's to trigger.

Doesn't sound like pot is a life trauma to cause the trigger.
3 people in my family before me were Schizophrenic. I'm Schizophrenic, so far the only theory that sounds good to me is Genetics. I didn't even do drugs until I found out I was crazy.

Don't worry about your THC.

Oh... and doesn't THC decrease dopamine? Schizophrenics have a lot more dopamine, which is another theory... too much dopamine. MJ should decrease symptoms, not bring them up.

--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: DarkElf] * 1
    #18017729 - 03/27/13 07:11 AM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DarkElf said:

No, but as early as 1978, the risk of substance abuse by people with a tendency (genetic predisposition, if you will) towards schizoaffective disorders was recognized, and those results were supported in later studies.

Treffert (1978):
Quote:

The author suggests that marijuana use is a special hazard to schizophrenic patients and that physicians should alert such high-risk patients to the possible untoward interaction between their illness and marijuana.

Cuffel et al. (1993):
Quote:

The results do not support a link between abuse of specific substances and specific clinical symptoms but do suggest a general link between substance abuse and affective disturbance among schizophrenic patients.

McGuire et al. (1994):
Quote:

The data suggest that the development or recurrence of acute psychosis in the context of cannabis use may be associated with a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia.

If you look at the different studies into the relationship between schizophrenia and substance abuse, then you can only conclude that there are strong indications of a (complex) relationship, but very few firm conclusions. This has to do with a number of things:
- small numbers studies generally don't yield hard results; most schizophrenia/substance abuse studies happen to be low-n studies though, due to practical reasons (limited resources and availability of subjects)
- both 'substance abuse' and 'schizophrenia' are complex concepts in themselves and operationalizations are bound to differ over time and between studies, making the results difficult to compare, which makes a good metastudy more challenging
- the development of schizophrenia is a process that spans years (or even decades), and good longitudinal research is scarce.

So let's be generous and say that the jury is still out on this one. But if you know you have a genetic predisposition towards schizophrenia, for the love of God do yourself and your loved ones a favor and stay away from the goddamn drugs.

InvisibleDarkElf
Don't let commies win!
Male

Loc: Almost Canada.
    #18017757 - 03/27/13 07:20 AM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Yeah, Koraks, it's good to find those articles. My doctor brought up pretty much the same, but also said... "It might not be the drugs, it could just be a relapse in symptoms and it's blammed on the drug. Most Schizophrenics have relapses... even major ones, while on Anti-Psychotics but no one quits those. I recommend... don't do drugs."

Paraphrased...

I quit drugs about a year and half after starting them, just cause I didn't want to risk it.

Most of my MJ paranoia was that it was illegal and I was going to get caught. Nothing to do with my symptoms.

I just hope OP is smart enough that if he thinks he has Schizophrenia, or is getting it, he needs to lay off the drugs for awhile and see what happens.

--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: DarkElf]
    #18017770 - 03/27/13 07:28 AM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Yeah, it's a multi-factor thing for sure. It's obvious that schizophrenia cannot be stuck on substance abuse alone in all (or even any) cases. Still, I personally think there's just too much support for substances such as marijuana being a compound factor to be comfortable.

OfflineBitter Cactus
reformed bad boy
 User Gallery

#18017799 - 03/27/13 07:37 AM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Listen, if there is a substance that does indeed induce schizophrenia, marijuana or stimulants are most likely the culprit. Amphetamines release large amounts of dopamine and cause sleep deprivation, which alone leads to psychosis if one chooses not to sleep. Over time this can probably raise your odds to get schizophrenia if you are genetically predisposed.

Marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids do not mix well with me. I can trip, do MDMA and ketamine and have a lovely time. The second I smoke a few hits of high grade pot, my mind bounces around at 100 miles an hour. I become very paranoid, everything becomes surreal and my anxiety goes through the roof. I just wanna crawl out of my skin and avoid all social contact. If I try and sleep in this state I will hear voices to the extreme and will begin hallucinating and wanting to die.

For anyone who reacts to weed like me, I recommend trying kratom. This herb is fucking amazing and way better than marijuana for people like me.

--------------------

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: DarkElf]
    #18018736 - 03/27/13 12:09 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

DarkElf said:
TL;DR...

The only theories they have right now are...

1.) Genetics
2.) Chemical imbalance since birth, with life trauma's to trigger.

Doesn't sound like pot is a life trauma to cause the trigger.
3 people in my family before me were Schizophrenic. I'm Schizophrenic, so far the only theory that sounds good to me is Genetics. I didn't even do drugs until I found out I was crazy.

Don't worry about your THC.

Oh... and doesn't THC decrease dopamine? Schizophrenics have a lot more dopamine, which is another theory... too much dopamine. MJ should decrease symptoms, not bring them up.

Hmmmm, maybe I'm suffering from very low dopamine levels. D-amp just chews it up on top of the MJ.

InvisibleThe Lizard King
Student Strawman
Male

Loc: Babylon
    #18018761 - 03/27/13 12:15 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/jul/27/drugsandalcohol.drugs

Quote:

People who smoke cannabis daily have a 200% increased risk of psychosis. They estimate that 14% of 15- to 34-year-olds currently suffering schizophrenia are ill because they smoked cannabis, a figure previously thought to be between 8% and 10%. According to the current diagnosis rates about 800 people would have been spared schizophrenia if they had not smoked cannabis.

I actually just got done reading about something very similar to this in my abnormal psych class.

--------------------
Dipping Swords in Metaphors

Invisiblekr0nik0
Ole' Salty
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Slope, CO Flag
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: The Lizard King]
    #18018852 - 03/27/13 12:36 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

I don't believe that weed causes any mental illnesses.

It just exacerbates underlying ones. The perfect example is me.

I got my first panic attack 30 minutes after smoking a huge blunt of Sativa bud. Then was diagnosed with GAD the following day. I've learned to control my anxiety over the years and still smoke quite a bit of bud.

Also, I don't believe it's addictive at all. Habitual? Maybe.

--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Bitter Cactus]
    #18018914 - 03/27/13 12:50 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Bitter Cactus said:
OP, your story sounds exactly like mine except I actually began and still hear voices. I'm completely sane and nobody would expect it in a person like me. I believe marijuana and psychedelics induced these symptoms. Although, with sobriety I became much better. My auritory hallucinations used to consist of laughter, choirs singing, radios playing, mumbling and more. Now I just hear a low hum that converses along before sleep, but I used to have 5 of 6 voices overlapping each other at once.

I hear the laughter, singing, radios, dogs barking, mumbling, too. I'm home alone a lot since I've been unemployed for so long, I always seem to hear my dogs barking, and think someones at the door. I find myself peaking out the blinds to see that no one is there almost every 30min. these sounds are part of the reason I have trouble sleeping Did these symptoms get worse when you smoked? They did for me.

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: kr0nik0]
    #18018924 - 03/27/13 12:52 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

kr0nik0 said:

I got my first panic attack 30 minutes after smoking a huge blunt of Sativa bud. Then was diagnosed with GAD the following day. I've learned to control my anxiety over the years and still smoke quite a bit of bud.

Habitual is maybe the word I should have used. It became a terrible habit. But isn't that the same thing as having a mental addiction?

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: The Lizard King]
    #18018943 - 03/27/13 12:57 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

The Lizard King said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/jul/27/drugsandalcohol.drugs

Quote:

People who smoke cannabis daily have a 200% increased risk of psychosis. They estimate that 14% of 15- to 34-year-olds currently suffering schizophrenia are ill because they smoked cannabis, a figure previously thought to be between 8% and 10%. According to the current diagnosis rates about 800 people would have been spared schizophrenia if they had not smoked cannabis.

I actually just got done reading about something very similar to this in my abnormal psych class.

Depressing read, especially how much I love the drug, and still argue it's positive effects today, regarding the fact I abused the drug myself. Also studies show now that the drug can have affect on your IQ below the age of 18. Hightime's did some study to try and prove the theory wrong, but who can be more biased towards the positive side effects than them, and their test results still couldn't be concluded.

Edited by zee007 (03/27/13 01:09 PM)

Offlinehidenseek1
Its got all the dinks.
Loc: poop
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: kr0nik0]
    #18019020 - 03/27/13 01:15 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

kr0nik0 said:

when people say drugs effect everybody differently , does that mean it can literally effect different receptors?

cause in this thread http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17989779/page/2

i read

Quote:

"Drugs that are meant to target other serotonin receptors in the brain can have harmful off-target effects on 5-HT2B receptors, which are found abundantly on heart valves, for example," said Roth. The weight-loss drug fenfluramine and closely related dexfenfluramine were withdrawn from the US market in 1997 after being linked to heart valve disease. Roth's laboratory later showed that this side effect was mediated by heart valve 5-HT2B receptors.
Analyses of the 5-HT1B and 5-HT2B receptor structures revealed a subtle difference between them. "Although their main binding pockets look very similar, their extended binding pockets are not as similar -- the one for 5-HT2B is narrower and in a slightly different position," said Wang.

if i smoke too much pot i get heart aches and general uncomfortable feeling in my chest. when i read that thread, i thought maybe pot plays with my serotonin. i have also read , dont remember where that pot can indirectly play with serotonin and dopamine levels

--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Bitter Cactus]
    #18019044 - 03/27/13 01:22 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Yeah, it's a multi-factor thing for sure. It's obvious that schizophrenia cannot be stuck on substance abuse alone in all (or even any) cases. Still, I personally think there's just too much support for substances such as marijuana being a compound factor to be comfortable.

My thoughts exactly, I'm not going to ignore the possibility, not with the conditions I have developed, and if information exists to back it up. I am pretty much an insomniac, which can very well be a huge factor towards my psychosis.

Quote:

Bitter Cactus said:
Listen, if there is a substance that does indeed induce schizophrenia, marijuana or stimulants are most likely the culprit. Amphetamines release large amounts of dopamine and cause sleep deprivation, which alone leads to psychosis if one chooses not to sleep. Over time this can probably raise your odds to get schizophrenia if you are genetically predisposed.

Marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids do not mix well with me. I can trip, do MDMA and ketamine and have a lovely time. The second I smoke a few hits of high grade pot, my mind bounces around at 100 miles an hour. I become very paranoid, everything becomes surreal and my anxiety goes through the roof. I just wanna crawl out of my skin and avoid all social contact. If I try and sleep in this state I will hear voices to the extreme and will begin hallucinating and wanting to die.

For anyone who reacts to weed like me, I recommend trying kratom. This herb is fucking amazing and way better than marijuana for people like me.

Unlike you Marijuana was mostly used as a sleep aid for me. There were times I got a strain that brought on similar effects you've stated, but I felt so strongly marijuana was my sleep aide I was able to clear my mind enough to comfortably fall asleep. Idk I also feels like it effects me completely differently towards the end of the night.

OfflineBitter Cactus
reformed bad boy
 User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18019053 - 03/27/13 01:23 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

None of this surprises me to be honest. Smoking pot worsens my symptoms and seems to cause life long anxiety disorders in a large group of people on these forums. Many people start out smoking the drug with more problems, but over time the THC eventually makes you anxious and paranoid more often. People are addicted to the high, so they continue smoking despite the negative effects. For many these people end up with a benzo prescription or end up with schizophrenic symptoms like me. Not saying this happens to everyone so don't hate.

Smoking synthetic cannabinoids is like schizophrenia in a powder. I have no idea how people enjoy that stuff and weed is just as bad for me.

--------------------

Edited by Bitter Cactus (03/27/13 01:24 PM)

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

#18019086 - 03/27/13 01:31 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

DarkElf said:
Yeah, Koraks, it's good to find those articles. My doctor brought up pretty much the same, but also said... "It might not be the drugs, it could just be a relapse in symptoms and it's blammed on the drug. Most Schizophrenics have relapses... even major ones, while on Anti-Psychotics but no one quits those. I recommend... don't do drugs."

Paraphrased...

I quit drugs about a year and half after starting them, just cause I didn't want to risk it.

Most of my MJ paranoia was that it was illegal and I was going to get caught. Nothing to do with my symptoms.

I just hope OP is smart enough that if he thinks he has Schizophrenia, or is getting it, he needs to lay off the drugs for awhile and see what happens.

Yeah, I have quit smoking for quite a while now :tongue: (although I did smoke like .2 out of a chillum on TC after I got hired), I really don't want to believe MJ turns me into a schizophrenic, it helped me cope with depression and insomnia. Now that I've put my own concerns in front of my eyes, it's easier for me to realize it may have boosted psychosis, so I'm stayin off it for now.

OfflineFishOilTheKid
Ascended
 User Gallery

#18019106 - 03/27/13 01:38 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Lead researcher of the study, Dr Marcus Leweke, of the University of Cologne, noted:

"There is a possibility that there are good guys and bad guys in cannabis. THC is the bad guy, but there is a small body of literature that suggested CBD may prevent the induction of psychotic symptoms. Our study supports that view."
http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005024.html

Offlineshroom_sandwich
om
Male User Gallery

Loc: pacha mama
    #18019109 - 03/27/13 01:38 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

I've been smoking almost daily since I was 14,give or take a couple days here and there and a week here and there. I'm  19 now. The past year I've realized how it's been affecting me. I noticed I was getting kind of social anxiety, which is weird cuz I don't give a fuck what people think of me. I dance like no one's watchin lol. But it was mainly not knowing what to say in conversations and just drawing a blank in my head. I'm an introspective person though so weed just increases that usually depending on the situation. I had a strong ego death experience with dmt two weeks ago today and haven't smoked pot since. I sell it and am around friends smoking sometimes still but I still haven't smoked again because I know it's not doing me any good in life right now. But I have a nice jar of some dank saved for in like a month, and will only go back to smoking occasionally when I do go back to it.

I agree, it can be addicting. I used to say "nah weed isn't addicting, it's just an herb, durr." Yes, it can be, but not for everyone. Honestly most of the people I know that smoke do it all the time and still claim it's perfectly safe. Is it? Or are they just too thick in the fog to take a step back and actually analyze the effects it's having on their life? Don't take me the wrong way, I love weed and am not bashing it, it's a great plant to open some doors; I'm just saying many people do develop habitual addictions with pot and that there is more than meets the eye at first...

Good luck OP. It's really not hard once you actually truly believe in yourself. It's defiantly not heroin or anything I think we can all agree on that. Look deep inside and see why you want to smoke all the time, that can help. Ego death/rebirth also helps... if you integrate it. It can sure push you in the right direction though, in my experience. However if you're concerned with schizophrenia idk if tripping is a great idea.

I believe pot can bring out schizophrenia and other mental "disorders" or whatever you'd call them. Flooding our brains with cannabinoids daily indeed does mess with brain chemistry...

--------------------
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. -Ancient Native Proverb

“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control.” -Terence McKenna

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #18019110 - 03/27/13 01:39 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

tl;dr
just stop being insane lol

InvisibleBill_Oreilly
ANIMALS (the RAINBOW SERPENT)

Loc: Boston
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: abltsandwich]
    #18019135 - 03/27/13 01:47 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Go easy on this kid, jeez. Flip that response wasn't necessary. To the OP, IMHO, marijuana enhances schizo the less tolerance you have with MJ. If you REALLY want to smoke without negative results, just keep smoking and get that tolerance up! Its up too you though if its all worth it. Im battling the same thing as you, im about ready to tell mary-jane to go fuck herself. Its a big step in our relationship but I think it needs too be done. Good luck man.

--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.

It's just a shot away..

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #18019381 - 03/27/13 02:51 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

I sorta have the same belief Quest_ions when it comes to tolerance. However I simply can't indulge in the drug like I did before, it was more destructive then productive, in my life thus far. That's the reasoning behind giving such a long explanation, just want people to see the road it lead me down.

Hopefully I have inspired other members to take a step back and decide for themselves if they've been allowing the drug, any drug, lead them in the wrong direction.

As far as the Schizophrenia concern goes, it's clear I need to keep an open mind about it. It wasn't a major setback for me, but I just wanted to hear the opinions here to help confirm my suspicion due to what studies/theories show.

FUCK YEAH I'm going to smoke again! Marijuana is fucking great in so many ways, if it wasn't illegal, I probably would have taken a less obscured path. The ignorant claims society has on the drug bother me tremendously.

Offlineshroom_sandwich
om
Male User Gallery

Loc: pacha mama
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #18027700 - 03/29/13 10:18 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Quest_ions said:
Go easy on this kid, jeez. Flip that response wasn't necessary. To the OP, IMHO, marijuana enhances schizo the less tolerance you have with MJ. If you REALLY want to smoke without negative results, just keep smoking and get that tolerance up! Its up too you though if its all worth it. Im battling the same thing as you, im about ready to tell mary-jane to go fuck herself. Its a big step in our relationship but I think it needs too be done. Good luck man.

I'm sorry, but that just seems like a horrible idea. I have a friend who smokes all the time and sometimes has schizo-like symptoms. Though honestly I feel like he may be doing other, harder shit and it's messing with him, but idk. I think op should just stop smoking for a while and see what happens

--------------------
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. -Ancient Native Proverb

“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existence is defined in terms of control.” -Terence McKenna

Offlinesanchothestoner
Satan's Grandson
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Bucketheadland
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: shroom_sandwich]
    #18027728 - 03/29/13 10:30 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Anyone who says weed isn't addictive is ignorant.  It may not be addictive for you, but I've sure as fuck seen a lot of bud addicts.

--------------------
I fucking hate you... God damn, I love you...
But we both know if we stick together, we'll just tear ourselves apart
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey
You are my heroin, but there's an abscess... God damn, I miss the vein!

Offlinehidenseek1
Its got all the dinks.
Loc: poop
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: sanchothestoner]
    #18027814 - 03/29/13 10:58 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

but I've sure as fuck seen a lot of bud addicts.

im sorry your buddies are addicted to this plant

its definitely addictive psychologically addictive if not physically

:trollmove:

--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
pons asinorum
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Offlinesanchothestoner
Satan's Grandson
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Bucketheadland
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18028316 - 03/29/13 01:08 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

hidenseek1 said:
Quote:

but I've sure as fuck seen a lot of bud addicts.

im sorry your buddies are addicted to this plant

its definitely addictive psychologically addictive if not physically

:trollmove:

Ha, definitely not my buddies.  But, seriously, anything can be addicting.  Weed is another "anything."  I've actually noticed that when I stop smoking weed after smoking a lot for a while, there are some physical withdrawal symptoms.  Might just be me though :shrug:

--------------------
I fucking hate you... God damn, I love you...
But we both know if we stick together, we'll just tear ourselves apart
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy, when skies are grey
You are my heroin, but there's an abscess... God damn, I miss the vein!

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: sanchothestoner] * 1
    #18028465 - 03/29/13 01:49 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

The first clue that you don't have schizophrenia is that you think you have schizophrenia. One hallmark diagnostic tool s schizophrenics do not realize how strange and inappropriate their behavior is and they cannot distinguish a hallucination from reality. Pot does not cause schizophrenia. You either have the disorder or you don't. Pot WILL make the symptoms worse for people who are psychotic, for sure.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: koods]
    #18028900 - 03/29/13 03:26 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

koods said:
The first clue that you don't have schizophrenia is that you think you have schizophrenia. One hallmark diagnostic tool s schizophrenics do not realize how strange and inappropriate their behavior is and they cannot distinguish a hallucination from reality. Pot does not cause schizophrenia. You either have the disorder or you don't. Pot WILL make the symptoms worse for people who are psychotic, for sure.

:nodofunderstanding:

OfflineMark1
Stranger
    #18028935 - 03/29/13 03:33 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

zee007 said:
So what are you're thoughts on Marijuana causing schizophrenia?

My addiction to Marijuana:
I smoked for the first time in April when I was 16 years old. The past two years I've smoked heavy amounts of weed especially after I got my first job up until I turned 19 in October. I smoked every single day, the second school was over me and friends were hot boxing our way home, smoked myself to sleep, and when I got up for work. During break at work I usually went over to a friend/co-workers house close by where 4 or 5 people (sometimes more) would all match and usually try to burn down either an eighth or more within the 30mins we had; and just go straight back to his house once we got off and get ripped. On other days his house wasn't available I'd just drive around and smoke a blunt or two with a co-worker. Boss never cared, he was a stoner too, and we worked hard. Came home with $70 in tips if I was lucky, on top of 30-35 hour weekly paychecks. Me and two other friends who worked there put our money together twice a week to pick up 2-3 ounces at a time so it was much cheaper, and so we could afford alcohol and food on the weekends, which is when we pretty much made an effort to get high every second of the day. Usually ending up blacking out and waking up in all sorts of houses during the weekend. Was almost never home even on school nights and avoided my mom and sister when I got home so they wouldn't know I was high. Turned into a compulsive liar towards my family.

(OMIT this paragraph not really related, just background info and rambling if interested)
Surprised I went so long without my mom finding out, it wasn't until I was 18&1/2. And once she found out I was instantly able to convince her it was a "safe," drug and she was still unaware of how often I smoked. She was oblivious because I used to have a strong group of friends before I moved to GA and we made it clear that we would never get affiliated with any type of drug, and were completely against them. We actually made a leisure activity out of attempting to catch some of their older brothers smoking, and searched everywhere for their drugs. Got them in so much trouble one time his older brothers friend gave me a white wash until I passed out and they had to call an ambulance :facepalm: don't blame em. On top of my friends influence had a ton of D.A.R.E and extensive drug programs and such at school, and there were very very few kids who ever experimented, even throughout middle school. I found out when I moved down to GA it was the complete opposite, except back in MI I found out everyone I used to know became even more of a stoner then me once HS came along, which also had a really bad rep when it came to drug use :rolleyes:. Anyway 3 or 4 years before I moved to GA my dad had an aneurysm and two strokes(in hospital), after spending 6 months in the hospital we found out my dad was completely paralyzed on the right side (huge section of the left part of his brain was damaged), his short-term memory was impaired, surprisingly his long-term memory is better than anyone's I've ever met, double vision, he lost his ability to rationalize, ability to balance, and speech problems. My mom was in complete denial over his illness for over 4 years, and barley had time to take care of me and my sister (spent months over friends houses), spent loads of cash on rehab centers, therapy, traveled all over the U.S. seeing top notch doctors, recovery centers, anything you could come up with. My dad was a health nut, worked out everyday, had a high paying job with GM, never smoked a cig in his life, and drank about one or two beers on the weekends, so this was completely unexpected. He actually fainted in the gym. He is still completely against drugs and refused to take any pain meds unless it was through the IV even after he was released from the hospital. We were told all his conditions would only get worse and they were right, cept throughout the 4 years he fortunately got some of his balance back and is able to walk around on a four prong cane. We spent the next two years meeting up with aneurysm recovery groups, but it was harder on my dad then therapeutic, because he was worse off then everyone else there. This isn't a sob story y'all I actually coped with my dad's illness and the whole situation very well. I was so young I barley knew what was going on, and it has nothing to do with my heavy marijuana consumption, just was giving the an explanation to why my mom was oblivious over my drug use and I got a little carried away... Yeah I'm speedin :crazy2:. Which reminds me of two more reasons as to why my mother never would have thought I would start smoking or do any drugs, because I hated more than anything taking my ADD medication after I was diagnosed in 2nd grade, and finally my dad's resentment for cigs had me HATE them as well and I gave my mom a hard time when she started smoking them because her depression was so bad. I didn't do anything like hide them from her or anything though, just complained a lot. I smoked my first cig last year actually and only really smoke them when I'm drunk.

Addiction continued:
-All my money went towards weed and helping my mom pay rent, the only thing I ever saved up for was a trip to PC for spring break costing $500, purchased some clothes, protein shakes, and other supplements. Eventually lost my job because I had to rely on a ride and was late, a lot; which will be an issue with my new job :facepalm:. I started dealing to feed my habit, and spent half of my senior year in school high. I quit dealing because it was too difficult without transportation, I wouldn't risk dealing from my own home so I hung out at a "trap house," in my neighborhood with a bunch of sketchy gang members. I live in a pretty nice area so it was nothing serious, they just called themselves a gang because they had a lot of guns, carried a 'flag', had a special handshake, and moved nothin but a pound at a time usually(took 2-3weeks). I was always nervous hanging around there, I was the only white boy :lol:, was the youngest kid there, and I didn't affiliate myself with their gang so it was a weird relationship. The house got raided shortly after I started hanging around there, luckily it was at night. Ironically a cop moved into the house. Once I burned up the last of my stash I started resorting to other things like shoplifting, and helped a friend at school sell fake True Religion and Mek jeans.

I was still the first one to argue weed wasn't addictive whenever someone brought up the debate:facepalm:... I finally came to my senses the summer after my senior year, did my best not to get involved in anything stupid for money, and only smoked when the opportunity came up, and some weeks I was still smoking everyday. It wasn't until I joined the Shroomery, I decided I was going to quit smoking and start to aggressively look for a job. Well I actually was supposed to be getting hired at a Dollar General which I explained in this thread how that went... Planned on using the money from my first paycheck I made there to replace my marijuana addiction with shrooms and buy PF-TEK equipment. I felt like it would be a fun little project that would take my mind off trying to get high and something to look forward to. Trying to go cold turkey was pretty tough, wasn't having withdrawals but I was going nuts without it and losing sleep over it.

I stopped taking ADD meds for a whole year prior to joining. Got a script for the first time again to help with my extensive job search because it was becoming impossible and also help finish some online schooling. Problem is insomnia and depression started kicking in, which had me slip up a couple times with mary jane. Got a little desperate for some kind of high since I got myself all excited about the idea of cultivating mushrooms, was too focused on replacing my marijuana addiction with the cubes. Once I found out I pretty much got fucked over for the employment opportunity, with no hope of getting started with a tek anytime soon, I went on that little DXM binge. Then got prescribed ambien and klonopin for legitimate reasons, and ended up starting to abuse those a little aswell. I'm stopping myself from taking the meds before I ruin my life on some benzos; so I got some melatonin to help myself sleep. Unfortunately the melatonin doesn't help too much and I get weird side effects from it.

Yeah I'll admit, I was a dumbass. I tend to make sporadic decisions that lead me down dark paths. It's taken me up until now to realize I have an addictive personality. I'm just glad I was able to accept this truth. It took jail to teach me what true consequences are and how a little mistake can effect your life forever. On the bright side I'm pretty sure I have an Assistant Management position at McDonald's, but I know better then to have high expectations when it comes to a job opportunity, been let down too many times. What I am sure of, is that I'm done fucking up. 

My Schizo concern:
I feel my heavy consumption of marijuana may have triggered schizophrenia. The thing is I quit taking vyvanse/adderall because it turns me into an insomniac, gets me really depressed, but mainly because it tends to give me anxiety and makes me socially awkward. It's not just the anxiety that makes me socially awkward and even when I'm sober, sometimes I have trouble finding the right words to say when it comes to starting or keeping a conversation with someone. My mind will end up going blank and it got worse throughout high school. I always thought this was due to the ADD meds, but after being off them for a year, I feel like I may have fell victim to marijuana's potential to induce schizophrenia. Although my personality did improve my brain still has these moments where I think of a million things at once instead of what I want to say, type, or even draw. Throughout elementary and middle school I won best piece of art for my age group, In order for me to produce a good piece of art now-a-days that would stand out it would take an abnormally long time (I know that is also part of ADD). I was drawing designs for a vaporizer contest last week and it took me hours just to do simple sketches because I couldn't transfer the images I had in my mind on the paper, the weird thing is I knew how to draw what I was imagining but the second I would go to draw it out, I just kept locking up and forgetting what stroke I was about to perform. Another weird example was today I had to make an outline for an essay about importance of being ambitious, super easy topic, but took me abnormally long, not to mention I couldn't do it in order. I had my 3 topics and whatever else the outline asked for in my head, but I couldn't type it out and had to use a thesaurus every two seconds for words that got lost in my head.

Quote:

:alert:EDIT: I am not lashing out on the drug itself, or calling Marijuana an addictive drug. I myself was addicted and if you had time to read my story, you would have to be ignorant to tell me I didn't have a problem.

More on the concern itself:
(Take in mind the few studies that show Marijuana could cause Schizophrenia were reported in those who smoked heavily at a young age, and it still didn't occur in all patients. So if the test results were accurate I'm just one of the un-lucky few.)
-I am diagnosed with ADD (the drug could have just wrosen ADD symptoms although there are patients who smoke for their ADD/ADHD but IME it only lowers my ability to focus)

-I've been taking ADD meds since 2nd grade, ritalin, concerta, vyvanse, and adderall.

-On some occasions I smoke, these Schizo like symptoms occur
  -sporatic unorganized, scattered thoughts
  -difficulty speaking increases, a lot more than friends

I think drugs should be legal, but you have no one to blame but yourself.

I have no sympathy for you. LOL @ losing your job.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: koods]
    #18028953 - 03/29/13 03:37 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

you're born with schizophrenia, and the onset can take 21-25 years in some cases. pot and other recreational drugs will exacerbate the symptoms.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

OfflineMark1
Stranger
    #18028955 - 03/29/13 03:37 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

zee007 said:
Quote:

Bitter Cactus said:

I've been unemployed for so long

lol shocking

Edited by Mark1 (03/29/13 03:38 PM)

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Mark1]
    #18028964 - 03/29/13 03:39 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Mark1 said:

Why would you quote the entire OP. I lost my job because I had unreliable transportation, nothing to do with drug use. I did blame myself, btw I have a new job :super:.

I'd most likely prefer not to have your sympathy anyway.

OfflineMark1
Stranger
    #18028967 - 03/29/13 03:39 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

zee007 said:
Quote:

Mark1 said:

I had unreliable transportation

must suck being poor

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: millzy]
    #18028983 - 03/29/13 03:42 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

millzy said:
you're born with schizophrenia, and the onset can take 21-25 years in some cases. pot and other recreational drugs will exacerbate the symptoms.

Another nice thing to know, thanks.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Mark1]
    #18029168 - 03/29/13 04:19 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Mark1 said:
Quote:

zee007 said:
Quote:

Mark1 said:

must suck being poor

Empathy. You should try it out sometime. :cookiemonster:

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinezee007
Gone.
Male User Gallery

#18029185 - 03/29/13 04:23 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

Mark1 said:
Quote:

zee007 said:
Quote:

Mark1 said:

must suck being poor

Empathy. You should try it out sometime. :cookiemonster:

Meh, I think he needs more of an improvement in the self esteem department. Right now he's just a terrible internet troll...

OfflineChakra Shock
Waxing Prophetic

Loc: The Enterprise
    #18030495 - 03/29/13 09:10 PM (11 years, 1 day ago)

zee007,

I have heard a lot of audial phenomena and I do not believe that they are mere hallucinations. Particularly the phenomena that was benevolent and helped illuminate my mind. I can go into greater detail about my experiences, if you ask, but first I have to tell you this:

Audial phenomena are like projections of our thoughts into our sensation of sound... but sometimes they can be encounters with entities that have knowledge to share...( like a guiding spirit or your higher self ) that can help raise our vibrations and empower our mind... so DO NOT let anyone degrade you with a diagnosis that limits your perceived worth and potential just because they can not understand what you are going through. 

People like to slander audial perceptions that an individual experiences just because others do not hear it... that does not mean the individual was merely hallucinating, they might be tuned into something that others are not... However, some people's minds go totally out of control and encounter seriously negative audial phenomenon and sometimes medical help is required.

InvisibleCrumpet
go sranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Chakra Shock]
    #18035613 - 03/31/13 12:05 AM (11 years, 7 hours ago)

some people link schizophrenia and pot but i recon for the most part, mj induces a lack f motivation. and can lead to some pretty pointless thoughts if it's smoked too often which can leave you feeling pretty dull. but then after tolerance is reduced, it again can be beneficial.

InvisibleCrumpet
go sranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: Crumpet]
    #18080641 - 04/09/13 06:47 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

mj does infact induce some syptoms i'd consider to be 'scizophrenic' even in me and im fucking sane azzzz. but they are not psychotic and wouldn't cause me to harm myself or anyone els which is the main concern by far... but I just wanted to post something that I found interesting about skitzofrenia. Apparently one of the syptoms of skitzness is repitious movement and symbols that do not represent any real form of language. I fucking rofl so hard at this because I definitely have these syptoms. the only difference is they definitely do represent something significant to me. For example, when I have a thought I do not want I flick my wrist behind me as if to say it's beneath and behind me. I also have a lot of other sybols I came up with autonomously that have cryptic significance and if I told the wrong doctors about them. specifically in my experience muslim doctors are the worst at bad diagnosis, i'd be re diagnosed as being kookoo. skitzo ftw

Offlinebuest
That
 User Gallery

Loc: Further
    #18979997 - 10/15/13 04:22 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

zee, didnt you hear, this is a no fun zone dammit!

OfflineDarthShroom
Stranger
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: buest]
    #18980854 - 10/15/13 10:58 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Stop stoning and start veggie juicing :laugh: You'll feel better in a couple of weeks doing that, and stop eating only junk.

Invisiblelessismore
Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: P-O]
    #18980868 - 10/15/13 11:05 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PostiveOutlook said:
Marijuana does not cause schizophrenia.  If its not enhancing your life... quit smokin it .

I think taking pharmy drugs daily do Much more damage to mental health ... Avoid them

oh ya.  Nutrition plays a major part of mental health

Yup, I took tramadol it changed my mental health much more than Weed everyday
especially when I stopped

never been so depressed in my life, and I'm usually never depressed....
also the tramadol almost killed me when I took 2 at once.. stopped breathing.. cramping etc, but the doc said 2 was ok

don't take pharmacy drugs  unless you absolutely have to to function

also.. don't smoke weed everyday unless you absolutely feel like you want to
it's obviously reducing your ability to function,from your report?
quit it, make the change ?:-)

you can always smoke 1-2 times a month maybe, as long as you don't smoke every week it won't be everyday probably...  never buy more than you can smoke at once (buy finished joint)

I used to smoke lots of weed everyday... the only way I could quit was smoking less than every week, if I smoked every week it would be everyday automatically

also I did have a 'psychosis' on the skunk, temporary of course ... another reason to go easy with the strong weed
fixed it myself of course... was kinda cool... faces everywhere I looked everyday for a few weeks, didn't go directly home etc (paranoia)

don't miss it... but go easy on the strong weed.... both hashish and skunk, they're equally strong.... can be too much
the strongest hash would almost launch me into the same state again if I smoked it again... so stopped

Edited by lessismore (10/15/13 11:12 AM)

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: Thoughts on marijuana being linked to schizophrenia - my addiction [Re: lessismore]
    #18981997 - 10/15/13 04:10 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Pot can induce psychotic episodes in people that are schizophrenic. It will not cause schizophrenia. Of course, it may appear that it does only because most people who are schizophrenic show their first symptoms between the ages of 18-23, just about the time people starting using recreational drugs. There is correlation, but not causality.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order