Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezepedamartin
I Use Mycotopia

'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs
    #17980926 - 03/19/13 06:41 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Link To Story & Video

CLEARFIELD — Even if there's a label on the bag that says it's smell-proof, Davis County Sheriff's investigators maintain their K-9s can figure out what's inside.
Investigators said a case-in-point unfolded near 200 S. State Street in Clearfield Saturday night, when K-9 Hasko registered a positive hit for drugs on a car that had originally been pulled over during a routine traffic stop.

Inside, deputies said they uncovered a "Smelly Proof"-labeled baggie containing marijuana.

"To me, the Smelly Proof bag just felt like a normal zip-lock — just with a brand name on it," said Deputy Mike Benoit.

Smelly Proof is a company that operates far away from the drug culture realm, marketing bags it claims can conceal the toughest of stenches — fish, dirty socks, even soiled diapers.

Still, the product appears to have developed a niche market at smoking shops.

Deputies acknowledge the Smelly Proof baggie itself may have even lived up to its name in Clearfield.

Often when people handle drugs, Benoit said, they get trace amounts on them as they move them around, even into containers that supposedly do not give off smells.

"Obviously he had touched that marijuana to put it inside that bag, and then he touched his door handle, then he touched his steering wheel," Benoit said.

In the Saturday case, sheriff's spokesperson Susan Poulsen said 22-year-old Cody Lynn Burks was arrested and booked into the Davis County Jail on investigation of possession of controlled substance with intent, and possession of paraphernalia.

Deputies say whether name brand or garden variety, supposed smell proof baggies are only the latest unsuccessful means of concealing drugs they've uncovered. Poulsen said deputies have previously uncovered drugs inside flashlights, makeup compacts and soda cans with artificial bottoms.

"Some come up with great hiding spots," Benoit said. "But when they try new tactics, we train for new tactics." Benoit said his K-9s are very adept at uncovering drug scents even when they are masked.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezepedamartin
I Use Mycotopia

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: zepedamartin]
    #17980933 - 03/19/13 06:44 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Your an idiot if you think anything like that is going to help
Mylar with vacuum seal works temporarily

The only thing that works is not looking suspicious enough
For the cop to call the dog in the first place

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: zepedamartin]
    #17981156 - 03/19/13 07:47 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

zepedamartin said:
Your an idiot if you think anything like that is going to help
Mylar with vacuum seal works temporarily

The only thing that works is not looking suspicious enough
For the cop to call the dog in the first place

yah or not having drugs in the car in the first place :lol:

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
    #17981200 - 03/19/13 07:55 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I posted a vid some time ago, maybe even a year ago in a Security and Safety thread that showed a trained dog being able to find a stash hidden in those kind of bags. Sadly the video was taken down. Scent will always seep out of any container.

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: 4runner]
    #17981464 - 03/19/13 08:47 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

The article makes it sound like people are stupid enough to think they can fool a drug dog.  I think most people get them so that their car doesn't smell like a skunk if they get pulled over.  It's just a precaution so that hopefully they won't call the drug dog in the first place.

--------------------

Offlinealexc
Worm

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: searching]
    #17981731 - 03/19/13 09:36 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I doubt these bags are made with the intent to be 100% smell proof. Seems like a good thing to have if you live at home or want to hide the smell decently from those around you, but not something to bank on the dogs being unable to find.

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwestish
Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: alexc]
    #17982056 - 03/19/13 10:40 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Just curious, if something was sealed inside glass, no screw top or anything, an actual sealed glass container, smell can seep out right? Even if everything has be cleaned to a tee? Is there nothing that is smell impermeable? Not even in the realms of the extreme?

--------------------
All that groks is God.

OfflineBigPharma
Myco-Rising
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: Riboflavin]
    #17982105 - 03/19/13 10:53 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I really doubt that if you sealed your chron in a glass ampule, dropped it in a sealed container of a non-polar solvent, immediately removed it from the area, and washed it again with fresh non-polar afterwards, then nothing more than a few scant molecules of cannabis contamination would remain.

interesting side note:  the genes regulating production of odorous terpene compounds from the cannabis plant are distinct from those that regulate production of cannabinoid compounds.  Therefore, you can in theory genetically engineer super-skunk that has no typical cannabis odor.  At least that's what I've heard from researchers who work with cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system.

--------------------
"There are no differences, but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."
-William James on NO2 in 1882

Edited by BigPharma (03/19/13 10:55 PM)

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: BigPharma]
    #17982114 - 03/19/13 10:56 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

BigPharma said:
I really doubt that if you sealed your chron in a glass ampule, washed it liberally with a non-polar solvent, immediately removed it from the area, and washed it again with fresh non-polar, then nothing more than a few scant molecules of cannabis contamination would remain.

interesting side note:  the genes regulating production of odorous terpene compounds from the cannabis plant are distinct from those that regulate production of cannabinoid compounds.  Therefore, you can in theory genetically engineer super-skunk that has no typical cannabis odor.  At least that's what I've heard from researchers who work with cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system.

actually I think it's been done a few times-- and it's not a GMO either, just careful breeding and out-crossing can achieve the same thing without risking the whole cultivar.

'cause you know-- in another few years if it gets legalized it would be sad if the smell was gone, the smelly smell that smells smelly is kinda nice dont ya think?

--------------------

Offlinexthrx
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: Riboflavin]
    #17982116 - 03/19/13 10:56 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Also thoughts on percentage chance of getting searched when car is A : Extremely messy or B: relatively clean? I just want opinions if anyone cares enough to answer

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: xthrx]
    #17982119 - 03/19/13 10:58 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

xthrx said:
Also thoughts on percentage chance of getting searched when car is A : Extremely messy or B: relatively clean? I just want opinions if anyone cares enough to answer

having a messy car is not probable cause, BUT if you have stuff and they force a search then you're fucked.  Best to keep it in a safe spot nobody know is there.  When I was a stupid kid I would stash my bong in a hole in the seat under the seat cover... cops searched my ride once and found nothing... no dogs tho :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinebatman returns
Dude man
Male User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: travelleler]
    #17982686 - 03/20/13 02:16 AM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I remember a story from years ago where a crew was running blow and weed in semi trucks from Florida to Philly. They masked the odor by submerging the product in 50 gallon grease drums. They weren't caught because of their transportation, but because they where involved with OC.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: batman returns]
    #17984031 - 03/20/13 12:07 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

They sell aluminum foil bags now. Seal it with aluminum tape and your dog will not smell anything from inside. But if you handle it with hands contaminated with odor, it defeats your system.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinetp123
Stranger

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: Stonehenge]
    #17984543 - 03/20/13 02:12 PM (11 years, 10 days ago)

actrully i own 2 of those smelly proof bags and they work great... they costed $1 a bag

i had a super stanky pipe and it would 100% keap the smell out

--------------------
I have a tendency to talk/write about drugs that i know nothing of, and do not do

Offlinecubezoid
Stranger

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: tp123]
    #17984686 - 03/20/13 02:38 PM (11 years, 10 days ago)

I wish I understood the science of smell better...does it move like particles? Like a dust or a gas?

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: cubezoid]
    #17984865 - 03/20/13 03:09 PM (11 years, 10 days ago)

smell is made up of particulates and dogs noses are EXTREMELY sensitive down to the parts-per-million

So like stone henge said---  even if there's a tiny bit of sticky resin or chem residue on your hands when you apply the tape or seal the sack it's still enough to tip of a trained k9.

if you took your stash and with sterile exam gloves put the stash into the smelly bag carefully-- then change gloves to a fresh uncontaminated pair before sealing the bag then put the smelly sack into another airtight sealed container then wash the entire thing in denatured alcohol or non-polar solvent you MIGHT get away from the k9 with your stash intact

remember-- nearly all common plastic is permeable over time, so even airtight containers can transport molecules thru the structure of the plastic after a while.

--------------------

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: travelleler]
    #17985088 - 03/20/13 03:48 PM (11 years, 10 days ago)

Traveller, all that is needed is aluminum foil bags. Nothing gets through metal unless there is a hole in it. You can make your own using foil and al tape or buy them ready made.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: Stonehenge]
    #17985627 - 03/20/13 05:30 PM (11 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
Traveller, all that is needed is aluminum foil bags. Nothing gets through metal unless there is a hole in it. You can make your own using foil and al tape or buy them ready made.

:themoreyouknow:

the cross-contamination science still applies though.  You'd need a fairly sterile workspace and a very conscious technique to keep from contaminating the surfaces of your home-made smell proof stuff.

I'm tellin ya---  parts per million are very very small.  you'll never know if they are there or not :shrug: 

but thanks for the tip-- I will look into that

--------------------

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
    #17988413 - 03/21/13 07:55 AM (11 years, 10 days ago)

Fuck this smell proof marketing hype. Get two bags; one normal, one vac seal. Wash your hands well after loading the normal bag, then seal it and place it in a vacuum seal bag. vac and seal the vac bag. Wash the outside of the vac bag with water. Theoretically if you can get every last smell particle off of your hands and off the bag, and said bag is completely airtight then you shouldn't have any odor escaping. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

--------------------

Invisibletravelleler
 User Gallery

Re: 'Smelly Proof' bags no match for K-9 officers sniffing out drugs [Re: ShroomDoom]
    #17988903 - 03/21/13 10:40 AM (11 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

ShroomDoom said:
Fuck this smell proof marketing hype. Get two bags; one normal, one vac seal. Wash your hands well after loading the normal bag, then seal it and place it in a vacuum seal bag. vac and seal the vac bag. Wash the outside of the vac bag with water. Theoretically if you can get every last smell particle off of your hands and off the bag, and said bag is completely airtight then you shouldn't have any odor escaping. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

you are NOT wrong... though THC trichomes are not water soluble so the wash would have to be something like WD40 or brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol.

and plastic always permeates to a small extent over time... so there might be a limited window of effectiveness but I'm not an expert in molecule transport through polymer...  I just know that oxidation occurrs in wine stored in plastic--- that's why wine is always in glass or sealed in mylar with a best-by date on the box

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom