Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: monopolies... [Re: Phred]
    #1799494 - 08/10/03 08:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What monopolies exist today because govenrment intervention?

And by intervention do you include Patent and trademark laws?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
Re: monopolies... [Re: Phred]
    #1799514 - 08/10/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: monopolies... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1799608 - 08/10/03 09:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
What monopolies exist today because govenrment intervention?

The post office. Cable companies. Garbage collection companies. Water companies. Electric companies (depending on the state). Natural gas companies.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: monopolies... [Re: Autonomous]
    #1799643 - 08/10/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
The post office. Cable companies. Garbage collection companies. Water companies. Electric companies (depending on the state). Natural gas companies.

In other words, "natural monopolies". Those industries where it's tremendously wasteful to have duplication. I mean, it would be silly to run 5 cables into your home because there's 5 cable companies. Most people agree that natural monopolies are ok, provided the Government does step in to ensure they don't overprice.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1799702 - 08/10/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What is the word for when a huge company puts pressure on other companies to help them kill another company?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: monopolies... [Re: Cornholio]
    #1799851 - 08/10/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cornholio said:
In other words, "natural monopolies". Those industries where it's tremendously wasteful to have duplication.

Phone companies used to be considered 'natural monopolies' in the U.S. However, since deregulation we have seen rates drop to 10ths or even 100ths of what they were before (adjusted for monetary inflation). Usually, it is established companies that have pushed for such protection of their economic turf as 'natural monopolies' to prevent new and innovative competitors from offering better service at a lower price.

Quote:

I mean, it would be silly to run 5 cables into your home because there's 5 cable companies.

What is silly is assuming that you would have 5 cables running into your house if there were competition.

Quote:

Most people agree that natural monopolies are ok, provided the Government does step in to ensure they don't overprice.

Ah, argumentum ad populum or, as my mother used to say, "If everyone jumped off a cliff would that make it the smart thing to do."

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: monopolies... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1799886 - 08/10/03 10:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
What is the word for when a huge company puts pressure on other companies to help them kill another company?

Hmm, I don't know. But there are words to describe what huge or established companies get governments to do to help them kill competition... such as 'regulation,' 'occupation licensing,' 'recognition of a natural monopoly,' 'fees,' or 'permits.' These are usually accompanied by such things as 'permitting of grandfatherd facilities,' 'grandfathered status,' 'grandfatherd sources,' 'grandfather clauses,' or 'prohibition of ex-post facto laws.'

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1800270 - 08/11/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's not my definition of monopoly that you do not understand

Yes it is. I've given you the dictionary definition of a monopoly which you appear to reject in favour of your own definition.

A true MONOpoly that has lasted more than the length of time a patent is in effect that was NOT aided or abetted by the government in some way.

Who says? The dictionary certainly doesn't.

Microsoft is NOT a monopoly

Incidentally by the standard definition of monopoly - A monopoly is by definition a situation in which a single company owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service... microsoft would clearly appear to be a monopoly.

Could you give us just one example of an important area of human life - food, water, power that you consider isn't a monopoly or cartel? Perhaps this will help us understand what you mean by your own personal and unique definition of the word monopoly.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

#1800648 - 08/11/03 03:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
Phone companies used to be considered 'natural monopolies' in the U.S. However, since deregulation we have seen rates drop to 10ths or even 100ths of what they were before (adjusted for monetary inflation). Usually, it is established companies that have pushed for such protection of their economic turf as 'natural monopolies' to prevent new and innovative competitors from offering better service at a lower price.

Prices have plummeted allright, but not because of "new and innovative competitors". They plummeted because too many telecom companies were in the market and supply greatly exceeded demand. Dozens of telecom companies have recently declared bankruptcy, over 1/2 million jobs were lost, and over $2 TRILLION (not a typo) dollars in market value were lost. While I'm not saying this is because of deregulation, I'm saying that deregulation wasn't necessarily a good thing for a natural monopoly.

Quote:

What is silly is assuming that you would have 5 cables running into your house if there were competition.

So if you owned the cable running through a neighborhood, you would share it with your competitors and let them profit off of it??? I wouldn't!

Quote:

"Most people agree that natural monopolies are ok, provided the Government does step in to ensure they don't overprice."

Ah, argumentum ad populum or, as my mother used to say, "If everyone jumped off a cliff would that make it the smart thing to do."

I love it when people understand logical arguments. Fair enough, ignore the "Most people agree that" in my statement above. I already explained why they are ok (because duplication of resources would be tremendously wasteful).

Edit: Natural monopolies are the only type of monopolies I think should exist, and only with Government monitoring/intervention.

--------------------

Edited by Cornholio (08/11/03 03:33 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1800656 - 08/11/03 03:38 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you owned the cable running through a neighborhood, you would share it with your competitors and let them profit off of it??? I wouldn't!

He's got you on this one (and others)....
That would be 5 cables running down the street, not into your house.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: monopolies... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1800668 - 08/11/03 03:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
That would be 5 cables running down the street, not into your house.

Ok, still wasteful.
Quote:

He's got you on this one (and others)....

Cheap shot.  Back it up, BITCH!  :wink:   

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1800686 - 08/11/03 03:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, still wasteful.

True, but still not 5 cables into your house.

Quote:

Cheap shot. Back it up, BITCH! 

I guess I could copy his posts and paste them here, but instead I'll just say to re-read them.  :kiss:

And if you can't find them, remember.... absence of a post isn't proof it doesn't exist.  :grin:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: monopolies... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1800705 - 08/11/03 04:05 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
And if you can't find them, remember.... absence of a post isn't proof it doesn't exist.  :grin: 

:lol: 

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: monopolies... [Re: Xlea321]
    #1800888 - 08/11/03 07:16 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Alex123, I am requesting an example of a monopoly that came into being and has existed under the criteria which I listed and explained. Your inability to understand this request has NOTHING to do with the definition of the term monopoly - I am not disputing the standard dictionary definition in my request, just (again) asking for an example of one that has come into existence and been maintained without government or criminal intervention in the market.

I at first thought your inability to understand this was feigned, now I am not so sure. I will not engage in any further attempts at what appears to be a futile effort - getting you to understand this simple request.

One verifiable example please. If you are unable to come up with one, you could just do what DoctorJ did (admit it).

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1801210 - 08/11/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I am not disputing the standard dictionary definition in my request, just (again) asking for an example of one that has come into existence..

So why use the word monopoly when you are talking about something completely different? Seeing as everything important to human existence is likely to have had some government involvement at some time or other what exactly is your point? Are you denying corporate monopoly of the water supply is a monopoly because the government had a hand in the water supply at some time?

I at first thought your inability to understand this was feigned, now I am not so sure.

No, it isn't feigned. You are using the word monopoly to mean something entirely different to what it actually means. I am sure you would agree that is very difficult to understand.

One verifiable example please

Did you read Gerns posts on the first page?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1801308 - 08/11/03 10:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

from merriam-webster dictionary (www.m-w.com)

Main Entry: mo?nop?o?ly
Pronunciation: m&-'n?-p(&-)lE

Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -lies
Etymology: Latin monopolium, from Greek monopOlion, from mon- + pOlein to sell
Date: 1534
1 : exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action
2 : exclusive possession or control
3 : a commodity controlled by one party
4 : one that has a monopoly

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1801404 - 08/11/03 11:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
I at first thought your inability to understand this was feigned, now I am not so sure.

No, it isn't feigned.

This is now obvious. Since you are incapable of understanding I will now terminate my dialogue with you within this thread. Good day.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1801455 - 08/11/03 11:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes,I am unable to understand your personal and unique definition of the word monopoly. A definition that doesn't exist anywhere but your head.

Sorry.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
    #1801829 - 08/11/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
This is now obvious. Since you are incapable of understanding I will now terminate my dialogue with you within this thread. Good day.

There are few people who are incapable of understanding a given point, outside of those with actual brain deficiencies.

I find that the case is actually that most people are incapable of efficiently making their point. If you are unable to eloqute the point you are trying to make in such a way that others understand you, if not necessarily agree, then I find that fault almost invariably lies with the point maker, not the point getter.

You have, however, been eloquent enough to be added to my "pompous, self-important ass" list... so there's at least something you have going for you, eh?

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: monopolies... [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1801860 - 08/11/03 01:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:
You have, however, been eloquent enough to be added to my "pompous, self-important ass" list... so there's at least something you have going for you, eh?

Well, how about you? Can you come up with a verifiable example or will you only resort to name calling?

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom