Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone
    #1759341 - 07/29/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10733

RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone

Sum hope

By INQUIRER staff: Tuesday 29 July 2003, 10:31

READER MICHAELA STEPHENS says that if the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is right and that 60 million US folk are file sharing, it's going to take the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) a mighty long time to get round to them all.

She said: "I pulled out my calculator to see just how long it would take the RIAA to sue all 60 million P2P music file traders at a rate of 75 a day. 60,000,000/75 = 800,000 days to subpoena each person or 800,000 days/365 days in a year = 2191.78 years to subpoena each person".

Michaela points out that it's unrealistic to suppose that the RIAA will have any money left in 2191 years, and she even wonders whether the trade association will exist then.

Plus, she points out, given the rate of tech advancement, it's likely that we'll have moved on to many different types of music media in even a hundred years.

She continues: " So let us consider more realistic numbers. The RIAA plans to sue thousands of file sharers. Working in increments of 5000: 5,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 66 days How are they going to keep track of all these lawsuits going on? 10,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 133 days or about 2/3 of a year.

"Keep in mind suing 10,000 people is still only going to impact only one six thousandth (1/6000) of the file traders out there. And who is getting rich off of this? The lawyers. Betcha not a single musician will see a cent of this money.

"15,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 200 days (1 out of every 4000 affected) 20,000 people/75 subpoenas a day = 266.6 days (1 out of every 3000 affected)

"When might this actually start affecting us? When 1 out of every 10 is affected? That would mean they'd have to sue six million people. That would take,...(6,000,000/75 = 80,000)... 80,000 days.. or 219 years! They'd have to sue our great grand children!" ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: TinMan]
    #1759348 - 07/29/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Haha ... :lol: 

--------------------
http://heffter.org

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: motaman]
    #1759569 - 07/29/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My exact thoughts... in the end, im sure the pirates will prevail.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1760419 - 07/29/03 05:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheInvizibleMan said:
And who is getting rich off of this? The lawyers. Betcha not a single musician will see a cent of this money.

Exactly. The RIAA has never done anything for actual musicians. The RIAA is more concerned with album sales then music. Let Puff Daddy drink wine-in-a-box instead of crystal for a week.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: Twirling]
    #1760635 - 07/29/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's not the artists who suffer.

It's the industry composed of hundreds of thousands, that are laying off 200 people in a 300 person company.

A lot of lost jobs, and you can laugh as much as you want while you steal - but it's no different than people who feel you shouldn't buy overseas merchandise - because there are jobs lost.

I'm not taking any sides, just playing the devils advocate. But piracy is crumbling a multi billion dollar industry, and a lot - a lot - a lot - of jobs are being taken from people. I'm sure more than one of you are thinking, 'why the fuck is it so hard to get a job right now'. Between the failing computer companies, and the failing record labels, the unemployment rate has risen to what??

think about the wide picture - not puffys crystal... he'llhave his crystal no matter what - because stupid fucks will always pay for shows. They just wont pay for albums, to support the rest of the industry that propels this.

Artists make most of their money touring, and on merchandise - in case you were not aware. You're not effecting anything but the working class. You're definantly not poking into any of the bigwigs cash, they'll still do just fine.. they'll pick another industry to profiteer in.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: Raadt]
    #1760985 - 07/29/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Pirates win every time. Every time a new somthing comes out. They figured out how to bootleg it. I remember when PS1 came out they said it would be impossible to bootleg it.

How long did it take for modchips to come for em?

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: baraka]
    #1761393 - 07/29/03 10:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

go pirates go!

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1761502 - 07/29/03 11:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well I always thought $15-$20 for a single CD is pretty crap unless its a classic. which most music isn't now adays just disposable pop. i could see the understanding if cd's were only $5. i don't see why RIAA hasn't restructured pricing guidelines for cd's? that'd be a better move i'd think.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: socratesmind]
    #1762274 - 07/30/03 09:18 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My personal opinion is that it should be sold by song. 1$ a song. CD's average about 9-12 songs. Pick and choose what you like..

It wont happen, because there is profiteering going on at the highest level. But maybe things like iTunes are headway towards that.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#1762278 - 07/30/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No doubt. I agree that pirates will win. And realistically, it was only a matter of time - given the overpriced artificial inflations of music prices. Back when it was tapes, music was 8$ for an album. Moves to CD (a much cheaper medium) and they go UP. It's pretty rediculous. I just think it's sad how many jobs are being lost in that process. Friends of mine included. People support piracy for all the wrong reasons (in my opinion), thinking things like 'puffy will drink boxwine instead of crystal, because i'm stealing his music'

in reality, the ONLY people being effected by this are at the bottom level. The receptionists, the assistants, the marketing people...etc. And that's the worst.

--------------------
Raadt

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: RIAA will take 2191.78 years to sue everyone [Re: socratesmind]
    #1762291 - 07/30/03 09:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Also, I don't think dropping the prices of cd's will do jack shit. When given the choice, 8$ or free - most people choose free. There is very little ethical consideration, when it comes to the music industry (well deserved). And most people have no desire to support it, especially due to the fact of how little the artists actually take. I think you're better off buying the CD at the show. That's something I do, as well as downloading the albums and sending 'donations' to the artist. A check for what I think the album is worth.

The last few albums i've done that with, i've actually recieved free merchandise as well. Seems the artists were quite shocked to be recieving kickback from a download. Made me feel good though, didn't really care about the t-shirts, keychains, and stickers.

--------------------
Raadt

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1763021 - 07/30/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

There has been a lot of talk about how much record sales are down due to mp3s, but frankly I think the major factor in record sales is simply the industry just isn't making much worth buying. There have been quite a few good major label CDs recently, but in general, the amount of sub-par music on MTV and the radio is really what's killing sales. Don't get me wrong, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I think there are much bigger problems in the music industry than mp3s.

The whole industry is being run by marketing executives trying to create the next big thing. Problem is they are so concerned with the image of a group or pop star that so little is actually invested in the music. I do work as a musician, and I've talked to a lot of people in the industry. They will often pay around $1,000,000 to hire a model with no music experince to come in, sing, and then dump the group because "the image just wasn't right". Certainly that kind of investing is what's killing the music industry more than people downloading mp3s. I agree that mp3s have hurt sales in some form or other, and that downloading entire albums without paying for them is wrong, but everyone I know uses mp3s to find out what bands are worth getting into, and then will buy the CDs.

Then there is also the method of how the record labels sign bands to contracts that exploit them. Since the market for getting signed is so competitive, they can get away with charging bands for the recording process. They'll lay out an intial signing bonus for band members, usually in the six-figure range, but after charging them with absurd mark-ups for recording process, the band may even end up OWING money to the record company for the right to have their music published, while also losing the copyrights to their music.

There are so many things wrong with the music industry, and I think mp3s are low on the proireity list compared to the treament of musicians. I am a musician, and I'm pretty screwed out of a career, and not because of mp3s, but because of the way the industry is setup. The RIAA seems to care little about the people who write and play the music, so it's hard to support them. The topic of piracy is important, but there are so many other issuses within the music industry that MUST be delt with before it. When Nelly is considered a great artist, you know something is wrong.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

#1764440 - 07/30/03 10:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Not to be pro-pirate or anything, but there is no way in hell I would pay $16 for a CD. I already pay enough to go see their shows. That is where the real money comes from...

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1764829 - 07/31/03 01:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

My exact thoughts... in the end, im sure the pirates will prevail. 

Darrrr  :cool:

--------------------
What?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #1764838 - 07/31/03 01:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

TWIRLING:

word! that is the best expression of my position that I have ever heard, and that includes my own expression!

I believe it was homer simpson's brother that said: "The problem with you marketers is that you arent asking what people want, you're telling them what they want!"

labels are always trying to create the next big thing instead of simply recognizing the next big thing when it pops up out of the arts districts. The result: mickey mouseclub spinoff models that have their songs written for them by a "committee"

and as far as shitty contracts go, I think SaltnPeppa is the best example: they went platinum and declared bankrupcy the following year. But most musicians dont get more than 10-20 points on their records.

I think the day will come when musicians promote and distribute their music on the internet without the need for a label. Sam Goody is obsolete, and their distribution deals with big labels don't mean shit. Pay-per-play mainstream Radio is crap and I find that fewer and fewer people are listening to it, especially in the 21+ age groups.

I get all my music from kazza or live webcast streams like www.bassdrive.com

will gladly pay to see DJs/producers/rock bands live, tho

OfflineRaadt
nicht

#1769407 - 08/01/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Nelly is not considered great, just marketable. Hiphop is the single biggest radio market out there, and that's what drives album sales. Personally I hate hip hop, and think it's fairly talentless - but until everyone else feels the same way I do, it will continue to drive the money train. The money train drives the worlds axis' too.

--------------------
Raadt

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
    #1776902 - 08/03/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Raadt, the iTunes music store has been up and running for a while now, in case you didn't know. They have a nice selection, too.

Apple innovates...  :smile: 

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates