Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Loc: Church of the SubGenus
Re: Dunk your colonized grains before spawning to bulk: Results and discussion [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #19760851 - 03/28/14 04:53 PM (10 years, 3 days ago)

OH HAI.

I was being an ass in your thread earlier for funsies, making fun of Shroomerites the world over and their tendency to argue against any experience one has with a new or non-traditional way of doing anything, no matter how positive the results are.

ANYWAY…I forgot that I was going to try dunking my grains last tub, but remembered this tub, because I was running out of quart jars for pasteurizing the hpoo for said tub. So I dunked the grains for the length of time it took to pasteurize the poo (about an hour and a half total). This took place on 3/26. To give some perspective, the grains took about 21 days to fully colonize all jars (PE, half of the jars from agar and half from LC [another story for another time] to WBS w/just gypsum, no coffee). I have found this to be about an average speed of colonization.

So…spawned to bulk on 3/26…it's been 2 days and the tub is already half colonized. So this dunking of the grains business is a thing that will happen from now on.

Has anyone tried injecting sterile water into their grain jars during colonization? Maybe around the 30% mark when you shake? It's a similar premise that has the possibility of being helpful, especially with a "drier" method of inoculation like agar or G2G.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk your colonized grains before spawning to bulk: Results and discussion [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #19763648 - 03/29/14 10:53 AM (10 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

BittrBuffalo said:
OH HAI.

:hi:

Quote:

So this dunking of the grains business is a thing that will happen from now on.

Isn't that cool? I had a similar epiphany when I first dunked a few tubs worth of spawn, I really like the results.

Quote:

Has anyone tried injecting sterile water into their grain jars during colonization? Maybe around the 30% mark when you shake? It's a similar premise that has the possibility of being helpful, especially with a "drier" method of inoculation like agar or G2G.

It was discussed a few times, it's not worth the risk, there is zero reason to try to rush your grains along at the expense of sterility.

Dunking is for fully colonized spawn. Prep and hydrate your grains properly and you should have no issue getting a quart jar colonized in a week or two, even from a wedge :thumbup:

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineBigrigg92
Stranger
Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #19869053 - 04/19/14 02:17 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Why when you add the grains to the water is there almost no chance of contamination if it is just tap water and the grains are no longer protected by the outer shell of myc?

--------------------
Attention: Currently Looking For A Mycology Jedi Master, To Aide in my quest to become a great expert please pm me if you are interested in acquiring a pupil

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: Bigrigg92]
    #19869626 - 04/19/14 08:06 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Because the grains are already fully colonized.  The dunk helps them recover quickly and they will retake the grain long before any competitor spores can germinate. The extra speed that the myc gains from the dunk also allows it to jump off the grains quicker and take over the substrate as well.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: Bigrigg92]
    #19869720 - 04/19/14 08:44 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Bigrigg92 said:
Why when you add the grains to the water is there almost no chance of contamination if it is just tap water and the grains are no longer protected by the outer shell of myc?

they're still covered in mycelium. it's no more dirty to dunk your grains in water than it is to mix them with your bulk substrate in tub.

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19951411 - 05/06/14 09:12 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Well... After 3 hours of carefully reading this thread/discussion I decided to give the soak a run for its money this afternoon. I decided to go with the bucket pasteurization(brick of coir, 2 quarts of verm, and 5 quarts of boiling water). Perfect field capacity! I left the gypsum out. Actually when I stopped at lowes for my bucket yesterday I grabbed a chunk of broken drywall off the floor haha but I was afraid with my luck it would be some kind of mold/fungus resistant type lol no idea if that could be possible but I didn't wanna take a chance. Anyways, I spawned the mix with 6 quarts of Cambodian grown on rye berries(started with one of ****** spore syringes). I will post pics/ updates once the monotub fully colonizes. Not going to touch it for at least 7 days. I don't have anything to compare with side by side(soak vs no soak) and with this being my first grow I honestly wouldn't be able to say if it's improved anything. I'll let you all be the judge :-) but so far, knock on wood, I've mastered everything with out any issues at all. It hasn't been cheap, but I wasn't about to cut any corners. Wish me luck guys! Frank thanks for the great material!

Edited by Spa (05/07/14 09:30 PM)

OfflineQuexl
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: Spa]
    #19951455 - 05/06/14 09:19 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

It would be really expensive and hazardous to put 'cides in drywall, but it could be in the thin water resistant kind that's used in bathrooms.

--------------------
grain spawn bacteria info

OfflineOH1Ogrown
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Treasure Coast
    #19953023 - 05/07/14 07:14 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spa said:
Well... After 3 hours of carefully reading this thread/discussion I decided to give the soak a run for its money this afternoon. I decided to go with the bucket pasteurization(brick of coir, 2 quarts of verm, and 5 quarts of boiling water). Perfect field capacity! I left the gypsum out. Actually when I stopped at lowes for my bucket yesterday I grabbed a chunk of broken drywall off the floor haha but I was afraid with my luck it would be some kind of mold/fungus resistant type lol no idea if that could be possible but I didn't wanna take a chance. Anyways, I spawned the mix with 6 quarts of Cambodian grown on rye berries(started with one of a vendor's spore syringes). I will post pics/ updates once the monotub fully colonizes. Not going to touch it for at least 7 days. I don't have anything to compare with side by side(soak vs no soak) and with this being my first grow I honestly wouldn't be able to say if it's improved anything. I'll let you all be the judge :-) but so far, knock on wood, I've mastered everything with out any issues at all. It hasn't been cheap, but I wasn't about to cut any corners. Wish me luck guys! Frank thanks for the great material!

You might want to take the vendor's name out of your post.

--------------------

Invisiblemycomattie
 User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: OH1Ogrown]
    #19953067 - 05/07/14 07:35 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Panaeolus cambodginiensis sandose I dunked on 5/2.

--------------------

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: OH1Ogrown]
    #19956297 - 05/07/14 09:31 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Good point man

--------------------
If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

#19964346 - 05/09/14 04:06 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

So just an update on my experience with Franks dunk advice. So far so good! Sorry for the quality of the pic. Didn't want to open the lid. I did lay like a 1/8 layer of coir/Verm on top of the mix. So some growth is hidden

Edited by Spa (05/09/14 04:09 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19964355 - 05/09/14 04:08 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

what pic? i miss you frank:crazy:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: cronicr]
    #19964365 - 05/09/14 04:10 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Edited it. Sorry man still trying to figure this thing out and using a phone at the same time. Also, that's 3 days in

--------------------
If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it

Edited by Spa (05/09/14 04:11 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19964385 - 05/09/14 04:15 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

looking great, no need to fear a little peak for a pic every once in awhile:wink:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! *DELETED* [Re: Spa]
    #19964399 - 05/09/14 04:19 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Spa

Reason for deletion: Irrelevant

--------------------

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! [Re: cronicr]
    #19964406 - 05/09/14 04:21 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks bud! Yea I've been way over cautious through this whole process lol here in a day or two I'll crack it open and get you all a better pic

--------------------

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunk your grains before spawning to bulk, post results! *DELETED* [Re: Spa]
    #19964414 - 05/09/14 04:23 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Spa

Reason for deletion: Part of last irrelevant post

--------------------

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

#19969628 - 05/10/14 09:37 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

4 days after dunk and placing into the tub:-)

--------------------

OfflineSpa
PoohHandler
Male User Gallery

#19978313 - 05/12/14 08:18 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry to keep bumping this thread. Blame it on my ADD. But everyone wants to see results and I'm wanting to share. So here is day six using the dunk. Again, take in to consider I applied an 1/8 of an inch layer of substrate to the top. I'm sure underneath it it is even more dense. Had a scare for a second on moisture levels. It has TINY drops on condensation throughout the mycelium and I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or bad thing. cronicr cleared that up for me and I feel much better:-)  anyways, here it is

--------------------

Edited by Spa (05/12/14 08:24 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19978499 - 05/12/14 08:52 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

bump with results all ya want:super: i miss frank anyway, hope your having a nice break buddy! actually just hoping thats the case lol

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | Next >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds