Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDosile
All Good Things Come To An End
 User Gallery

Loc: with the fallen angels
Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is?
    #17319107 - 12/02/12 08:16 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

so a few weeks back, i was walking through the city in the early morning on my way to work. i had just had a really bad day the day before and it was a time where i was uncertain about my future and my "place" and whether or not i "belonged". i was down and out, and felt betrayed by many people from many different spheres. things were going shit basically.

but while i was walking to the city, a bit more depressed and withdrawn then usual, i encountered a female monk. in the middle of the central business district. dressed in the brightly coloured robes and everything. this is a very peculiar occurence, you'd almost never see anyone dressed in this manner, at this place, at this time. so it naturally garnered my interest.

she approached me and offered me a Kai Guang Amulet. at the time i didn't know what it was. i just thought it was some cool looking shiney gold token. i kind of brushed it off in my mind at the time, but in the back of my mind i noticed something about this woman.

she was a special kind of person. she had this energy and radiance about her. i can't really put it into words, it was some kind of mystical shit. but there was something about her that seemed divine in the way she carried herself. it's almost like she had an aura or presence about her.

it was just a really awesome experience. it all happened just at the right time. and i'm a person who is prone to believing in delusional or un-explainable thangs such as this. that she was sent there or it was purposefully orchestrated that i crossed paths with this person at this point in time. anyway i'm very glad i did.

later on on my lunch break at work, i did some googling about Kai Guang Amulets, and found out that it was a Buddhist thing. it apparently translates to " Safe All One Life " , which i think is really awesome on many different levels. Safe All One Life. think about it.

theres many different interesting ways to approach this phrase. to think about it from a language and translation perspective, it shows how other cultures think, and how different their communications and emphasis must be to have a translation of Safe All One Life.

and then to actually digest the meaning, Peace and Unity. Theres nothing to fear when we Harmonize. We are all one. Solidarity.

I don't know dude. just the way the whole thing unfolded and the meaning of it and all really struck a chord with me. just thought i'd share. :sun:

TL;DR - Buddhism is awesome, you need to meet some monks, they give you shiney golden amulets if you encounter the right ones.

heres a nice sang for y'all too. hope y'all have a good day. :sun:

The XX - Angels (OdyC Remix)

:feelsgoodman:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineImmortalZodd
I seek only the strong
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Dosile]
    #17319119 - 12/02/12 08:22 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Cool. Keep it safe. :strokebeard2:

--------------------
...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.

Carl Sagan

OfflineDosile
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: ImmortalZodd]
    #17319121 - 12/02/12 08:23 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I carry it with me every day now, it sits in my wallet right at the front so i can see its shimmering sparkle everytime i open my wallet. :sun:

OfflineSalomon
DAT IRONY
Male

Loc: I dont even care anymore
Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Dosile] * 1
    #17319125 - 12/02/12 08:29 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

dirty buddhist hippies

--------------------

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Salomon]
    #17320010 - 12/02/12 01:09 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

開光 Open Light  護身符 Talisman/Amulet.

You can have it blessed over and over if you ever decide to go into a temple. Mostly used as a reminder to be compassionate and mindful throughout the day (Kuan Yin). Many also believe it can bring luck and protection. Donations are usually common if a gift is given by a monk, yet optional.

Bright robes and Chinese characters.....I think the monk may likely be from Fo Guang Shan 佛光山? One of the larger organizations worldwide. Great Story.

OfflineDosile
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: human experience]
    #17320793 - 12/02/12 03:39 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

so is that Open Light amulet the same thing, or a different type of amulet that they commonly offer??

hrmm... now that i think about it, it would be interesting to find out where she was from and what organisation/religious subset/purpose she represented. :strokebeard:

InvisiblezZZz
R.I.P. woodruss67 *
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Dosile] * 1
    #17320912 - 12/02/12 03:59 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

cool story. never heard of such amulets, but it all sounds interesting and i don't doubt it one bit that it was all for you.

such wonders little acts of kindness can bring.

--------------------
Jesus Is Love
:sleep::snore:

"A really really deep quote"

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

#17321288 - 12/02/12 05:01 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Soulidarity said:
so is that Open Light amulet the same thing, or a different type of amulet that they commonly offer??

hrmm... now that i think about it, it would be interesting to find out where she was from and what organisation/religious subset/purpose she represented. :strokebeard:

"Safe All One Life" (left side down) Interesting translation.....

一生平安, I would say it's closer to "All (Entire) Life is safe and sound, or peaceful life, or life of peace and security. Whatever one has meaning to you.

"Open light" is written along the bottom. There are endless bracelets, amulets, beads, and necklaces from various temples. It's a common way to receive donations. Most people keep them in their wallets, cars, or homes for protection. The one you received is pretty cool. Good one to start your collection.

OfflineDosile
 User Gallery

Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: human experience]
    #17324678 - 12/03/12 03:59 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

ohh right, thats what it was, the translation of the other stuff on the amulet. thats awesome. it shows alot about the perceptions of different languages and cultures to hear the translations and stuff. as in how their mind works and the way they communicate and stuff. the amulet and all of its messages just wreaks of awesomeness. i'm going to get it blessed again if i ever encounter some other spiritual figures. it's just a cool thang to have around. i don't know if it's my good luck charm or anything yet but i defeinitely have an affinity for the golden thang. :grin:

are you yourself Buddhist?? have you got any similar talismans/amulets?? you seem to have a fair bit of knowledge on these sorts of things and the translations and stuff.

Offlinemenlee
Old but New
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Salomon]
    #17325052 - 12/03/12 07:18 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Salomon said:
dirty buddhist hippies

Made me smile thanks great post salomon

Offlinehuman experience
Stranger

#17325232 - 12/03/12 09:08 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Soulidarity said:
have you got any similar talismans/amulets?? you seem to have a fair bit of knowledge on these sorts of things and the translations and stuff.

I have a collection going from the temples/places I have visited in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, China, Thailand, and Tibet.  Check out "Mala" (Prayer Beads), Prayer Wheels, or Thai Buddha Amulets. Each city in Asia seems to have at least 5 or more Temples and hundreds of monks walking around.

Living and working in the East for several years, I have an appreciation for the dharma and buddhist mind, but the common version in Asia is too superstitious for my tastes. Yet, I am exposed to the culture daily.

Speaking and reading Chinese (or any language) is difficult to learn, but has its advantages. It strengthens business and people seem to take my requests more serious. When you learn another language, you are also learning the culture.

OfflineHerusche
Stranger
Re: Do you know what a Kai Guang Amulet is? [Re: Dosile]
    #20092005 - 06/06/14 11:17 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Yes I know what it is. It is a rip off by fake-monks.

There are hundreds of them running around in Thailand and giving a bad reputation to all the others real monks there. They startet to do the same thing in western citys some time ago. I met one a few days back in Frankfurt and he was not satisfied with the amount of money I was donating him for his amulet. He tried to get some more money out of my wallet by himself.

The robes they wear might seem to be very monklike for us western people, but if you know how true monks wear their robe and behave when they are begging, then you know that theses people are pretenders and cheaters.

The amulet is without an adress of a temple or any place you can refer to.

So it is better to keep and safe your money for anyone who is begging for money or playing good musik on street.

If you have the feeling, the amulet is blessed and helpfull for you, then this is true, but has nothing to do with this greedy fake-monks, it has to do with you and your positiv thinking about Guanyin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub