Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws
    #17168268 - 11/05/12 09:22 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

CTV British Columbia
Published Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012 6:24PM PDT
Last Updated Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012 6:37PM PDT

Voters in Washington State will be heading to the polls next week to vote on an initiative that could legalize the sale of marijuana—a move that many are pushing for in British Columbia.

If the initiative goes through, Washington State will become the first American jurisdiction to allow farmers to grow marijuana that can then be legally sold to adults 21 years and older. The drug will then be taxed and regulated by the government in an attempt to the curb sales in the black market.

Prominent B.C leaders such as Liberal MLA Kash Heed and former Attorney General Geoff Plant are just some of the high-profile British Columbians who are pushing for a similar initiative in B.C. Both have endorsed the Stop the Violence Campaign, and have maintained that the criminalization of pot fuels gang violence.

The Union of B.C. Municipalities also passed a resolution last month, calling for the decriminalization of cannabis.

“For a long time, one of the arguments against policy reform in Canada was that Canadians could never try and get ahead of the Americans on this issue without risking the wrath of U.S. law enforcement,” said Plant at the B.C. Liberals’ annual convention in Whistler on Saturday. “It looks like the Americans are step-by-step getting ahead of Canadians on this issue. If there’s a successful vote on that Washington initiative, that’s another step forward. Sooner or later we’re going to be playing catch-up here.”

Justice Minister and Attorney General Shirley Bond says regardless of the B.C. government’s position on the decriminalization of pot, any changes to marijuana laws can only be made by the federal government.

“The fact of the matter is that if there were to be a change to the Criminal Code to deal with this issue, it needs to be done by the federal government,” she said.

Both Bond and Plant agree that a yes vote in Washington could impact the market for B.C. bud, and thus, public safety.

“If legalization succeeds in Washington, that’s going to remove some of the market for B.C. marijuana south of the border, but B.C. marijuana, sadly, makes it way throughout the United States, so it’s not exactly going to stop the gang wars up here in their tracks,” said Plant.

However, only the federal government has jurisdiction over such matters, and Ottawa has been clear that it has no interest in ending prohibition.

With files from CTV British Columbia’s Scott Roberts

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-watches-closely-as-washington-votes-on-marijuana-laws-1.1013705

--------------------
If you can't control drugs in a maximum security prison, then how can you control drugs in a free society?

---

If it's true that there was a Big Bang, everything that each of us are was once contained in that needle tip of highly condensed matter. Over time, the Universe grew in ways which enabled it to see and understand itself. We are the universe looking back at itself.

---

Czech psychiatrist Stanislav Grof, in 1975: "psychedelics, used responsibly and with proper caution, would be for psychiatry what the microscope is for biology or the telescope is for astronomy". Unfortunately, the prohibition of psychedelic drugs research meant it was not to be.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroom Wisperer
Embrace the Martian
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: Simplepowa]
    #17171002 - 11/06/12 09:28 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

I vote no :thumbdown:

Offlinegref
Philosoraptor

Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: Mushroom Wisperer]
    #17173997 - 11/06/12 07:23 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Yeah the amendment may have bullshit DUI parameters but it is a step in the right direction.

--------------------

AMU TEKs

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: gref]
    #17174008 - 11/06/12 07:25 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

^they can add that d.u.i bs without legalizing pot...

Quote:

“For a long time, one of the arguments against policy reform in Canada was that Canadians could never try and get ahead of the Americans on this issue without risking the wrath of U.S. law enforcement,”

stupid argument, who cares what u.s. law enforcement says.

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

Offlinegref
Philosoraptor

Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: bigmike7104] * 2
    #17174091 - 11/06/12 07:41 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

--------------------

AMU TEKs

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: bigmike7104]
    #17174379 - 11/06/12 08:30 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bigmike7104 said:
^they can add that d.u.i bs without legalizing pot...

Quote:

“For a long time, one of the arguments against policy reform in Canada was that Canadians could never try and get ahead of the Americans on this issue without risking the wrath of U.S. law enforcement,”

stupid argument, who cares what u.s. law enforcement says.

:lolwut:

The USA dictate a lot of what Canada do, my dear.

:lookingslick:

--------------------
If you can't control drugs in a maximum security prison, then how can you control drugs in a free society?

---

If it's true that there was a Big Bang, everything that each of us are was once contained in that needle tip of highly condensed matter. Over time, the Universe grew in ways which enabled it to see and understand itself. We are the universe looking back at itself.

---

Czech psychiatrist Stanislav Grof, in 1975: "psychedelics, used responsibly and with proper caution, would be for psychiatry what the microscope is for biology or the telescope is for astronomy". Unfortunately, the prohibition of psychedelic drugs research meant it was not to be.

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: Simplepowa]
    #17176312 - 11/07/12 01:01 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The USA dictate a lot of what Canada do, my dear.

i know, it's stupid though. how come the canadians let them?

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: B.C. Watches Closely as Washington Votes on Marijuana Laws [Re: bigmike7104]
    #17177127 - 11/07/12 07:19 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

It is not "canadians" who let the USA do what they want, it is the prime minister of Canada that won't stand up for his own country. :sad:

Must have lot's of corruption or cash flowing in this + threats etc etc

:shrug:

--------------------

---

---

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service