Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinespikeycloud
Truth seeker
Male
Solipsism
    #17144111 - 11/01/12 06:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

For those here that think that solipsism is true...could those persons answer these questions? To get things straight, I'm talking about the form of solipsism that everything that exist is part of you. So other people are just smart machines that do not experience itself (projections if you will)

If I would think like that, then the first question that would pop in my mind why me? Why do I exist then? And why is there an illusion that more minds exist?

Would you as an solipsist cry at your mothers funeral?

Where were you in the second world war for an example?

If substances can give you solipsism like experiences there is always chance that they are not taken by you (you have free choice after all)...destroying completely the point of the the revealing of the illusion in the first place... Also wouldn't be those substances also be a part of yourself creating an impossible infinite loop?

I would really like to hear answers from those who really believe in solipsism here thx!

Edited by spikeycloud (11/01/12 06:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThisIsKitty
Man Whore
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Solipsism [Re: spikeycloud]
    #17144151 - 11/01/12 07:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I would take a break from the drugs for a bit

--------------------
Boobies vagina chicken wings and HYDROCODONE

Offlinespikeycloud
Truth seeker
Male
Re: Solipsism [Re: ThisIsKitty]
    #17144219 - 11/01/12 07:15 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Haven't took shrooms for almost half an year now. I'm not saying I think like that also. But I know some peeps here do.

Edited by spikeycloud (11/01/12 07:15 PM)

Offlinemisterjingo
Divided by zero
Male

Loc: Shangri-La Flag
    #17144245 - 11/01/12 07:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I don't see how ego death and transcendental experiences equate to solipsism. At a push I can see how one might confuse the idea of "one is all" with "one is the only living thing and all others are manifestations of ones psyche", the former is egoless and the later is ego driven.

OfflinePEROXIDE
The Cobweb Killer
 User Gallery

Loc: UK
    #17144261 - 11/01/12 07:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Yea but I mean, like u said where were u during the war right?
Well what if there was no war. Time started at YOUR birth. History is what you've been 'shown/taught' in your life.

--------------------
I say made up things in forums just to feel cool.  Everything I say is rubbish.

Edited by PEROXIDE (11/01/12 07:23 PM)

Offlinesum_peeps
Psychedelic Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Re: Solipsism [Re: PEROXIDE]
    #17144474 - 11/01/12 07:50 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PEROXIDE said:

Yea but I mean, like u said where were u during the war right?
Well what if there was no war. Time started at YOUR birth. History is what you've been 'shown/taught' in your life.

I have definitely felt an emphasis on this while on psychedelics

--------------------
A child's rhyme stuck in my head.
It said that life is but a dream.
I've spent so many years in question
to find I've known this all along.
~ '][' {[]} {[]} {[_,

OfflineMindFood
Chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: England
Re: Solipsism [Re: PEROXIDE]
    #17144613 - 11/01/12 08:07 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I like philosophical posts, I had not heard of Solipsism until you posted this. I understand the concept, now this is just my own opinion on it but to me it seems flawed. If you are the only thing that exists and everything else is a projection of your reality, including the Universe, then how can even yourself or your own mind exist.

The Universe by definition is the space which encompasses all energy and matter. So even if the only thing in existence was your mind then that would still have to occupy some defined space which would mean that a Universe would have to exist, no matter how small.

Offlinesum_peeps
Psychedelic Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Re: Solipsism [Re: MindFood]
    #17144969 - 11/01/12 08:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

maybe because you feel connected to all things and view everything as a whole you are feeling nothing but yourself and therefore feel alone? does that make sense to anyone else?

--------------------
A child's rhyme stuck in my head.
It said that life is but a dream.
I've spent so many years in question
to find I've known this all along.
~ '][' {[]} {[]} {[_,

OfflineLucyfer
Psychonautic Voyager

#17145132 - 11/01/12 09:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spikeycloud said:
For those here that think that solipsism is true...could those persons answer these questions? To get things straight, I'm talking about the form of solipsism that everything that exist is part of you. So other people are just smart machines that do not experience itself (projections if you will)

If I would think like that, then the first question that would pop in my mind why me? Why do I exist then? And why is there an illusion that more minds exist?

If substances can give you solipsism like experiences there is always chance that they are not taken by you (you have free choice after all)...destroying completely the point of the the revealing of the illusion in the first place... Also wouldn't be those substances also be a part of yourself creating an impossible infinite loop?

I would really like to hear answers from those who really believe in solipsism here thx!

Quote:

ThisIsKitty said:
I would take a break from the drugs for a bit

:lmafo:

agreed.

solipsism is fucking absurd

--------------------
ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I post on here is used for fictional purposes only. I do not use drugs, sell drugs, or condone drug use.

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind." -Timothy Leary

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

#17145752 - 11/01/12 10:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't really class myself as a solipsist, as any form of -ism philosophically constraining.

HOWEVER I can say this:

I know I exist. I know this because I think, therefore I am. There is no proof that anyone else or anything else has a mind of its own though, not to say it doesn't, but there is simply no way for you, the thinker, to possibly know what goes inside another mans head.

>the first question that would pop in my mind why me?

This question isn't unique to solipsism. I remember, as a child, wondering why it is that I'm me, and not somebody else. The answer is you simply are, there's no reason.

>Why do I exist then?

You need to exist in order to ponder the question: "why do I exist." It's the whole "I think, therefore I am" scenario.

>And why is there an illusion that more minds exist?

As far as I know (I could be wrong, I don't really pay much attention to the -isms) solipsism doesn't exclude the possibility of other minds, it merely acknowledges that there is no way to prove their existence.

Do you dream? do you interact with other people in your dreams? why?

Having a populated universe makes for a much more interesting time than an unpopulated one. Imagine playing a computer game that didn't have little computer controlled characters, it would be boring and pointless.

>Would you as an solipsist cry at your mothers funeral?

Yes.

>Where were you in the second world war for an example?

You could suppose that the second world war never took place and was merely an illusion created to give your life context. Similar to how starwars begins with episode IV and has references to the "clone wars" despite these events never actually having taken place.

Personally though, I'm more in the reincarnation type camp where I believe that I was everyone and everything during world war 2. Pantheism, I think you philosophers like to call it.

>If substances can give you solipsism like experiences there is always chance that they are not taken by you (you have free choice after all)...destroying completely the point of the the revealing of the illusion in the first place... Also wouldn't be those substances also be a part of yourself creating an impossible infinite loop?

I'm not sure I understand. Supposing you can only be certain that your own mind exists and that everything is a result of your mind, why would that preclude you from having drug induced experiences? I've taken a plethora of psychedelic drugs while dreaming and each time they've had some kind of effect.

My philosophy is more similar to this:

Quote:

Dawks said:
I view all consciousness as being one, all at this very moment. Each incarnation, or what you call "soul" is still the same observer just viewing itself (everything) from a different perspective.

So rather than there being a multitude of observers observing the "universe" there is simply one observer observing itself (the univsese) from many different perspectives. This effect creates the illusion of the universe.

Actually I read a rather nice story that sums it all up, on /b/ of all places:

--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Edited by Dawks (11/01/12 10:54 PM)

OfflineLucyfer
Psychonautic Voyager

Re: Solipsism [Re: Dawks]
    #17145957 - 11/01/12 11:24 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dawks said:
I wouldn't really class myself as a solipsist, as any form of -ism philosophically constraining.

HOWEVER I can say this:

I know I exist. I know this because I think, therefore I am. There is no proof that anyone else or anything else has a mind of its own though, not to say it doesn't, but there is simply no way for you, the thinker, to possibly know what goes inside another mans head.

>the first question that would pop in my mind why me?

This question isn't unique to solipsism. I remember, as a child, wondering why it is that I'm me, and not somebody else. The answer is you simply are, there's no reason.

>Why do I exist then?

You need to exist in order to ponder the question: "why do I exist." It's the whole "I think, therefore I am" scenario.

>And why is there an illusion that more minds exist?

As far as I know (I could be wrong, I don't really pay much attention to the -isms) solipsism doesn't exclude the possibility of other minds, it merely acknowledges that there is no way to prove their existence.

Do you dream? do you interact with other people in your dreams? why?

Having a populated universe makes for a much more interesting time than an unpopulated one. Imagine playing a computer game that didn't have little computer controlled characters, it would be boring and pointless.

>Would you as an solipsist cry at your mothers funeral?

Yes.

>Where were you in the second world war for an example?

You could suppose that the second world war never took place and was merely an illusion created to give your life context. Similar to how starwars begins with episode IV and has references to the "clone wars" despite these events never actually having taken place.

Personally though, I'm more in the reincarnation type camp where I believe that I was everyone and everything during world war 2. Pantheism, I think you philosophers like to call it.

>If substances can give you solipsism like experiences there is always chance that they are not taken by you (you have free choice after all)...destroying completely the point of the the revealing of the illusion in the first place... Also wouldn't be those substances also be a part of yourself creating an impossible infinite loop?

I'm not sure I understand. Supposing you can only be certain that your own mind exists and that everything is a result of your mind, why would that preclude you from having drug induced experiences? I've taken a plethora of psychedelic drugs while dreaming and each time they've had some kind of effect.

My philosophy is more similar to this:

Quote:

Dawks said:
I view all consciousness as being one, all at this very moment. Each incarnation, or what you call "soul" is still the same observer just viewing itself (everything) from a different perspective.

So rather than there being a multitude of observers observing the "universe" there is simply one observer observing itself (the univsese) from many different perspectives. This effect creates the illusion of the universe.

Actually I read a rather nice story that sums it all up, on /b/ of all places:

correct, the only thing we can logically prove is our existence through thoughts. so what the fuck does that make our reality....?

string theory definitely scratches the surface but it's a really mystifying concept

the whole idea of "me", "you", and "I" is just another part of this illusory reality we have grown to accept.

psychedelics allow us to detach from the illusions and see reality in its true form. but understanding what we see is a whole 'nother story.

--------------------
ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I post on here is used for fictional purposes only. I do not use drugs, sell drugs, or condone drug use.

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind." -Timothy Leary

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
Re: Solipsism [Re: Lucyfer]
    #17153839 - 11/03/12 02:39 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

You're god and you got bored.

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

OfflineSmidgen
Little bit of something.
Male

#17153920 - 11/03/12 02:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

spikeycloud said:

I can answer all of these questions... from my point of solipsism.

It's very lonely being God and being all alone... so I had infinite potential for loneliness. Now I realize that I am a spirit and that I don't ACTUALLY exist the way I think I do. And this allows me to have a subconscious that can do things I physically can't. My ... or our, subconscious is God. All of our higher selves are the same self, God. And our consciousnesses overlap like parallel universes. Science has already proved that the universe is expanding out from all points evenly. Each of our brains are creating reality.

A perfect universe is a slightly imperfect one.
- Smidgen

The word universe directly translates into "one-verse".

"The word "verse" is commonly used in lieu of "poetry" to distinguish it from prose. Where the common unit of poetry, that is, verse, is based on meter or rhyme, the common unit of prose is purely grammatical, such as a sentence or paragraph."
-Wikipedia on Verse (poetry)

What that tells me, and I just read it by the way, is that we as a collective decided to call the universe that we live in a single unit based on meter. A rocket scientist would then look the definition of meter up. You see my father loves to use many lines, one in particular is, "it doesn't take a rocket-scientist to...", well naturally as one could understand I started to view this mysterious thing that has been eerily eluding me my entire life that apparently takes a rocket-scientist to do as the greatest thing someone could aspire. So I started trying to think like a rocket scientist... even though I was five. Right so back to meter.

"In poetry, metre (meter in American English) is the basic rhythmic structure of a verse or lines in verse. Many traditional verse forms prescribe a specific verse metre, or a certain set of metres alternating in a particular order."
-Wikipedia on Metre (poetry)

What that tells me, and I just read it by the way, is that we as a collective decided to call the universe that we live in a "single unit based on the basic rhythms set alternating in a particular order" by calling the universe the universe.

So the universe is made up of 13 rings of different sizes all stacked on each other... and side by side... so all of them fit in the biggest ring, all of the rings are placed side by side so that create a different combination of rings within rings. Eventually this chain finds the beginning again hence the oroboros. Now God is the light that travels in the middle of this chain and his light moving threw it so fast causes much like sound waves by using a flute or a recorder, but instead of sound it creates matter from light and then sound from matter...

Sorry if you guys aren't ready for that yet...

Anyhow, we are all God, there is only one God and he is the same electricity inside of you that is inside of me. Light, love, electricity, god... is all the same... you. Sorry, this post was about solipsism... I mean me.

--------------------
I don't know who Annette is but if I ever find her I'm going to marry her!

OfflineSmidgen
Little bit of something.
Male

Re: Solipsism [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #17154082 - 11/03/12 03:26 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ReoSpeedwagon153 said:
You're god and you got bored.

True.

I could play any game I wanted but I would win and if I lost it was because I set it up that way... so the fun is being an innocent ignorant child... that's why the law is set up to protect the them... the innocent... they are me =)

--------------------
I don't know who Annette is but if I ever find her I'm going to marry her!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale