Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSativaman420
Uses The Search Function
Male

When preparing jars of rye grass seed...
    #17073472 - 10/21/12 05:08 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

Is it normal for there to be pooling water before you put the jars in the pressure cooker? My first time using rye grass seed, last week, I poured the excess water off before pressure cooking, and now my jars seem a tad bit on the dry side.

I am of course talking about RR's method of the grass prep from the videos. Twice as much rye grass seed as water (by volume) and a pinch of gypsum per jar.

Should I leave the extra water in when I pressure cook? Will the grass seed absorb it all or will I have excessively wet jars?

I have a lot of faith in RR, but he also says its very difficult to get moisture content right with grass seed. I am not sure if he means so even while following his tek or not...

--------------------
"Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana in private for personal use." - Presidet Jimmy Carter, 1977.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineQuaabsauce
Stranger

Re: When preparing jars of rye grass seed... [Re: Sativaman420]
    #17077231 - 10/22/12 04:51 AM (2 years, 2 days ago)

Give them some time if you inoculated with MS syringe. it takes time for the spores to germinate.
If the Rye seed does turn out to be to dry try preparing your seed by doing this.
Rinse the rye in a pot or strainer
Soak it for 10-12 hours
Put it in a pot with plenty of water, Bring it to a full boil for about 5 min or less if you see a few grains explode.
Toss it in a strainer every few minutes, let the excess water on the outside evap off for 30-60 minutes.
Put it in your jars, PC it for 60-90 min at 15psi and there ya go, sertilized, hydrated, rye grain.
:thumbup:

--------------------
“My voice speaking is a monkey's mouth making little mouth noises that are carrying agree-upon meaning, and it is meaning that matters. Without the meaning one has only little mouth noises ”
― Terence McKenna

InvisibleThadeous
Elevate your soul

Re: When preparing jars of rye grass seed... [Re: Quaabsauce]
    #17077386 - 10/22/12 06:47 AM (2 years, 2 days ago)

Are you sure you are using rye grass seed?  That name is different than rye berries, rye grain, rye seeds.  I do the latter myself.  24 hour soak, bring to a boil (stove on highest setting) for about 5-10 minutes, turn out onto something to let water steam off, conduct TP test to determine when to jar up.

After PCing they do look very dry every time I have done them, but have never had an issue colonizing or with contaminates for that matter.  Not to say I haven't had a contam, just very rare, 1 out of 50+ at least.

OfflineSillyputty67

Loc: Netherlands
Re: When preparing jars of rye grass seed... [Re: Thadeous]
    #17077566 - 10/22/12 08:56 AM (2 years, 2 days ago)

Rye grain spawn is what I have been working on perfecting in my newbiedom. I follow RR's method, but I like to let the grain sit in the strainer for longer. Ive found that letting the grain drip for about 4 hours work perfectly for me. Otherwise i had liquid in the bottom of my jars. the myc didnt like that at all, and cause bacterial contam.

--------------------
1) Everything I ever posted or say is a lie.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: When preparing jars of rye grass seed... [Re: Sativaman420]
    #17077572 - 10/22/12 08:59 AM (2 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Sativaman420 said:
Is it normal for there to be pooling water before you put the jars in the pressure cooker? My first time using rye grass seed, last week, I poured the excess water off before pressure cooking, and now my jars seem a tad bit on the dry side.

Yes.  Since we don't rinse, simmer, or boil rye grass seed the way we do with rye grain, the water doesn't fully absorb until you put it in the pressure cooker.  It's best to mix the water and seed, and then shake well.  Let it sit for an hour or two and shake again, and then PC.  The hour or two of sitting is optional, but seems to help the seeds to hydrate a bit slower, avoiding damage.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

OfflineSativaman420
Uses The Search Function
Male

Re: When preparing jars of rye grass seed... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #17079987 - 10/22/12 05:52 PM (2 years, 2 days ago)

I did as you said RR and everything seems to be fine. It's a little clumpy, but I assume that's what you meant by harder to shake; Still nothing a tire can't fix. Thanks again!
-Sativaman420

--------------------
"Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana in private for personal use." - Presidet Jimmy Carter, 1977.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation