Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomGrower420
I am a fun guy

Loc: Location, Location, Locat...
First time shroom grow, a few questions
    #16808965 - 09/08/12 12:10 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, everyone. So, just getting started on the first shroom grow... basically it was a kit sold for 125$ from a headshop (probably over priced, for what it is) I got 2 bags. I got a bag of grain substrate , with a cotton tip including spore swab for a strain called Namuang, found in Bon Durian, Koh Samoui- Thailand. the bag had a tie in it and i untied it and let the cotton spore sample inoculate the rest of the bag and shook it up as the instructions said... then i waited about 2 weeks. now im seeing signs of growth. i am wondering if this is healthy growth or is it contaminated? It IS white, which is good, defiantly not green mold but some contamination are white i noticed from watching the dvd that came with the set...so my questions now are:

1. is this healthy growth?
2. does anyone know about this strain?
3. should i shake the bag some more now that its starting to turn white or should i leave it alone?
4. once the grain is covered in white mycellium the kit suggests breaking up the mycellium and putting it into the inculded compost bag. would it not be better to obtain some more compost and use a big rubber maid bin instead of fruiting in the bag? also is this small 1 lb bag of mycellium going to be enough to fruit in a rubbermaid?

any other tips or suggestions are welcome! :smile: thanks for reading and happy shrooming everyone.

--------------------
"For Mycology Microscopy, Identification,
Research and Taxonomy Purposes Only"

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time shroom grow, a few questions [Re: ShroomGrower420]
    #16809029 - 09/08/12 12:26 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Looks good so far. I'd leave it alone until you get nice large chunk colonized before you shake. Even with the compost I doubt you're going to have enough to fill a monotub if that's what you were considering but you could make some kind of fruiting chamber for it.

--------------------

OfflineShroomGrower420
I am a fun guy

Re: First time shroom grow, a few questions [Re: Kizzle]
    #16809068 - 09/08/12 12:36 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Looks good so far. I'd leave it alone until you get nice large chunk colonized before you shake. Even with the compost I doubt you're going to have enough to fill a monotub if that's what you were considering but you could make some kind of fruiting chamber for it.

thanks for your quick reply. i'll leave it alone for another week or so, until its more colonized... i was hoping to do a monotub. any way i can add the inoculated rye to a another bag with additonal rye so that i have more inoculated rye and then do a monotub? or is that too risky/complicated? i dont have good access to spores want to preserve this so hopefully i can get a culture of some kind... have a problem with people stealing my mail lately, so spores hard to acquire for me, besides going to the headshop where they sell them under the table pretty much...

if i were to just use the compost and rye grain i have what would be  a good fruiting chamber if i don't use a monotub?

thanks again for your help and reply. i really appreciate it. :smile:

--------------------

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #16809140 - 09/08/12 12:54 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You could make a mini mono, same thing pretty much just use whatever container it could fill up to a reasonable depth. I usually go for about 3-4 inches deep.

If you wanted to inoculate more rye it would have to be done before that bag is opened and exposed to the air and the transfer would have to be done completely sterile in a glovebox or with a flowhood. Since it's your first grow I wouldn't recommend trying it.

On the plus side if this goes well you'll be able to make all the sporeprints you could need to keep doing future grows if you want.

--------------------

InvisiblesteelyNads205
Strangler

Loc: Space City U.S.A. Flag
    #16809160 - 09/08/12 12:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

do the mono tub and use damion 5050's tek for the substrate. everything i have grown came from that. and its so simple.

--------------------
prohibition doesnt work. it sits on its lazy fat ass all day getting people in trouble.

InvisiblesteelyNads205
Strangler

Re: First time shroom grow, a few questions [Re: steelyNads205]
    #16809181 - 09/08/12 01:04 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
prohibition doesnt work. it sits on its lazy fat ass all day getting people in trouble.

OfflineShroomGrower420
I am a fun guy

#16809203 - 09/08/12 01:14 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

franc, thanks for your reply as well... good info there, looks like a great way to grow- and the links were very informative. I have bookmarked them. I assume this would be a technique i would use next time around? or is there a way to incorporate this into my current grow? thanks again for the help franc and kizzo, very supportive forum here!

--------------------

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

InvisiblesteelyNads205
Strangler

#16809230 - 09/08/12 01:24 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

no prob man. how big is your bag? how much does it weigh?

--------------------

OfflineShroomGrower420
I am a fun guy

#16809314 - 09/08/12 02:02 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

franc36 said:
no prob man. how big is your bag? how much does it weigh?

the kit came with a 1 lb bag of rye and i think 5lb bag of compost, here is a pic... the compost is called "kow a nite" compost. Apparently by mushroomjohn and very good stuff from what I've read. the rye bag is pre-sterilized. The bag is tied off in the middle. Above the rye in the upper part is a q-tip with spores on it. You take off the tape and untie the string to drop the q-tip with the spores into the bag when you get it and you are ready to grow... then, you shake it up and it starts inoculating. Once its colonized you spawn the berries into the kow a nite compost bag. (according to the instructions) I was just hoping to increase my yeild a bit here is a pic of what was included in the kit, you can also see the beginning of the inoculation in the small rye berry bag.

--------------------

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

InvisiblesteelyNads205
Strangler

#16809420 - 09/08/12 03:05 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

i am not that familiar wit growing directly
in the bag. you would have to go with what
krizzle said and do a mini monotub.
other than that you could def.
try to grow it in the compost bag using
the instructions provided.
which would be very interesting to see.
125$ is waaaay too much. especially for
the amount that was given and the
possibility that that it could contaminate.
especially from a head shop.
do you know how long those bags
have been lying around?
you could get your whole setup
for a monotub in a day
if you want and cost less than a
hundred dollars for sure.
and the results will pay off for
it more than you put into it.

--------------------

OfflineShroomGrower420
I am a fun guy

#16811847 - 09/08/12 03:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

franc36 said:
i am not that familiar wit growing directly
in the bag. you would have to go with what
krizzle said and do a mini monotub.
other than that you could def.
try to grow it in the compost bag using
the instructions provided.
which would be very interesting to see.
125$ is waaaay too much. especially for
the amount that was given and the
possibility that that it could contaminate.
especially from a head shop.
do you know how long those bags
have been lying around?
you could get your whole setup
for a monotub in a day
if you want and cost less than a
hundred dollars for sure.
and the results will pay off for
it more than you put into it.

Agreed. It was just an experiment mostly, and I did pay too much, the good thing is that everything was pre-sterilized. After this, I will get a full setup, with a glove box and pressure cooker, monotubs, the full nine yards... just wanted to get my feet wet. The way I see it, I would have paid more than 120$ for whatever I yield from the kit and i've never had fresh mushrooms before, most the time by the time i get some specimens for research they are not as easy to study because they are dry... it will be my first change to study this variety and feel confident in the strain accuracy and geography, because i grew them myself.

--------------------

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags